New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default The Shackled City

Chapter 1: Life's Bazaar

It was a terrible autumn night, the weather was not wet enough to have an excuse to stay in a nice warm tavern, but not dry enough to get the four blocks to the inn you happen to be staying at.

It had been a guard job that got the four together this time, the Gymnasium of Kord needed some folks to keep the peace at the nearest tavern, and the pay was all the ale they could drink. Sweet gig, for the takers. The only problem was they had to walk home, now soaking wet from the weather.

A few blocks down the road they can hear a yell for help, they voice sounds elderly, and three other voices yelling back, "Shut up, old man!" two other voices can be heard as well, "Yeah, you'll keep your mouth shut or we'll slit your throat!" "And keep your nose out of the Last Laugh's business!" followed by the thud of a kick to the victim's ribs.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: The Shackled City

The little Goblin tried his best to keep up with the larger folk's pace, all the while he was complaining "We were ripped off I tell you! Ripped off! A whole evening's worth of work and got paid with ale? JUST HOW MUCH DO THEY THINK I CAN DRINK?" he growls in frustration at his small frame of a body. "A meal! They could have at least throw in a meal! BUT NOT ALL IS LOST! Before we left, I told the barkeeper to hold on to my last pint of ale till I get back! Next time we go there, I've got a free pint with my name written all over it. HE PROMISED HE'D LOOK AFTER IT! Mwahahahahaha!" he begins laughing in his deeper than usual voice, wringing his hands and clearly pleased with just how clever he was.

Nilbog hears the cries for help and scratches his head "You know what's fun? Mugging some muggers! The night doesn't need to be a total waste! Who wants to go first? Not me though..." he says while elbowing Thokk suggestively.
    "Do not anger a bard...for you are silly, and would make for a funny song."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"Being paid in drinks, my father would be soooo proud of me now", Argo thnk outloud and laugh at his own joke. A sarcastic kind of laughter.

"Well, at least it was kinda fun... It has been a while since I drank that much without worrying with paying. A shame it wasnt wine", he keeps talking, the wet cloths not putting his good mood down.

When he hear the cry for help he stop and once he hear the goblin suggestion he smile, "That sure will make my old man even more proud! Hell! Maybe he might even die being that much proud! Lets be some good samaritans and help".
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2014-09-18 at 03:31 PM.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Booker, walking alongside the others, cloak down and smiling after the rather enjoyable evening, frowned at the sound of voices. Turning to look in the direction of the sound he let out a soft sigh of annoyance. "Just once I'd like this city to impress me with its restraint rather than the lack thereof..." he noted, glancing at the others to confirm that they too would like to intervene.

With a nod to the others, confirming his intentions to join in as well, Booker began moving towards the scene, taking care to stick to shadows but moving quickly, trusting that the site of his allies approach would cover up any undue noise he made.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Re: The Shackled City

Plodding along through the small puddles left from the days drizzle, Thokk smiles to himself as he listens to Nilbog's ceaseless chatter. He stops short and lets out a gutteral grunt at the sounds of a mugging nearby. Thokk looks down at Nilbog and grins "Perhaps this evening won't end without excitement, after all... Stay behind me, Little friend."

Noticing Booker moving towards the noise through the shadows, the large Orc sets off down the alley. Wearing nothing but a sleeveless sackcloth shirt, buckled cloth breeches, and a pair of worn down leather boots, Thokk silently cursed himself for leaving his armor, and more importantly, his Greatsword, at home.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The scene is grim, an old man in priest's vestments and a symbol of St. Cuthbert is unconscious in the alleyway, and three men are taking turns kicking him. "Take that!" "Yeah! Don't mess with us!" "And don't snoop no more!" The men are wearing black leather, and their faces are painted half white and half black one side in an upturned sneer and the other in a mock-sorrowful frown. They either don't notice those who are approaching or don't bother reacting.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Local) DC 10:
    Show
    These are low ranking members of a gang known as the Last Laugh, a local thieves guild turned to thuggery.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Nilbog follows the rest, taking his ceremonial place in the rear, as befits a Goblin leader... well, at least in Nilbog's mind. Noticing who is being beaten up, Nilbog mumbles to himself "I always wanted to get on the clergy's good side!" and decides to use the fact that the thugs were ignoring him to his advantage. The Goblin takes a moment to pick one of the thugs, and deciding which one he seems to like less, uses his secret powers granted to him by the Vestige that he had summoned.

"You! APPROACH!"
    he growls at his target as he prepares his crossbow, confident in the fact that he had his companions standing between him and the thugs.

(Use Persuasive Words on one of the thugs.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taking a step forward to stand between the Thugs and his friends, Thokk cracks his knuckles and lets out a deep, loud growl. As if daring the Thugs to raise weapons against his companions.
    Last edited by Darksidebro; 2014-09-18 at 06:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing the bullies attacking the unconscious man made Argo smile a little. Maybe that old bastard deserved it, maybe not, but maybe he could something to really make his father proud.

Enjoying the fact the thieves are unaware of their presence, Argo send a dark arrow straight at one of them, hoping to defeat one of them and make their numerous advantage a little greater.

"You stop that and drop your weapons and you wont be harmed... much".

Spoiler: Arrow of Dusk
    Show
    RTA aggainst flatfooted AC (1d20+4)[7] non lethal damage (2d4)[5]
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The three thugs turn, to the group approaching them, "You just made a big mistake!" "Yeah, this is our turf!" "You better get running!"

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20+2)[19]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Booker, concealed of a small doorway nearby that was perfectly sized to cloak his slender frame in shadow, observed the scene calmly, though inside he was not feeling any particular need to be gentle with these thugs given what could be seen.

Noting the others attempts at diplomacy (at least, that's what it seemed the goblin was doing), intimidation, and a quick offense he elected to simply remain in observation for the moment, stepping in when it would be advantageous, probably when one of the thugs closed on Thokk.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I safely assume I was hidden at the start of the encounter since I was trying to stick to the shadows?

If yes - Standard -> Swift -> Island of Blades Stance (lasts until I switch stances), just staying hidden with my earlier roll

If no - Standard -> Move -> Get to a shadow and hide with the OOC roll if I can.

Either way Booker doesn't intend to reveal himself in the surprise round.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The Arrow of Dusk shoots past one of the head of one of the thugs, and Nilbog's screaming doesn't seem to be effective. The thugs pull daggers from hidden places in their outfits and tumble towards their targets. One to handle the goblin, one for the elf, and one to handle the half-orc.

Tumble Checks, they only have to get past Thokk, failure means Thokk can make an attack of opportunity.
    (1d20+6)[10]
    (1d20+6)[22]

Their attack rolls

Thokk: (1d20+1)[2] Damage: (1d4+1)[2]
    Argo: (1d20+1)[9] Damage: (1d4+1)[3]
    Nilbog: (1d20+1)[6] Damage: (1d4+1)[4]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    These actions take effect at his Initiative count.
    I'll be playing with friends today and may be busy to wait for the time my initiative comes around.
    Hope you dont mind

Looking at the thug close to him, Argo take a step back and tell him, "Have a good night sleep, badboy", and shot another arrow of dusk at his stomach, hopefully knocking him out.

Spoiler: Arrow of Dusk
    Show
    RTA (1d20+4)[12] nonlethal damage (2d4)[7]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Observing the three thugs and their rather pathetic attacks Booker nods to himself before stepping out of the shadows and quickly closing the distance on the thug who had attacked Nilbog. Moving his blade in a deliberate pattern designed to both distract from Thokk and remind his opponent that he is putting his back to an Orc, Booker brings the sword in for an attack, a shadowy version of the blade appearing momentarily to strike a second early and befuddle his defense. Staying silent (the better to play the part of a mysterious assassin striking from the shadows) he leaves the wordplay to his allies as he simply does his best to distract the opponent from Thokk.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move - Move in near the thugs. Preference is to be adjacent to both thugs next to Thokk but if that's not possible or would provoke an AoO then just the thug next to Nilbog as well. My stance means I flank from any side so actual positioning is irrelevant, just need adjacency.

Standard - Shadow Blade Technique, I roll 2d20s and pick one to use for the attack, if I pick lower I get +1d6 cold damage. Going to roll it out then edit in my choice. This is a Supernatural ability if it matters (highly doubt it, but no harm in mentioning).
    Atk1: (1d20+7)[20] (flanking bonus included)
    Atk2: (1d20+7)[11] (flanking bonus included)
    Dmg: (1d6+5)[6]
    Bonus Cold Dmg: (1d6)[3]

EDIT: I will use the higher one, as I doubt an 11 will hit. So 20 vs. the thug's AC for 6 damage

Swift - Nothing. I don't really want to use burning blades until I know more about these thugs, so no real use for it.
    Last edited by Binks; 2014-09-19 at 12:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Booker drops one of the Thugs, and the other Thug is hit with the Arrow of Dusk and drops as well.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, seems your friends kinda left... this world. Drop your weapons and state your business", Argo tell the thug before looking at his allies, "Make sure to keep them alive or we might get in trouble".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

A tremendous roar tears through the alley as the Thugs draw weapons and begin tumbling this way and that. Thokk picks one tumbling more inaccurately then the other and takes a sideswing as he passes, more interested in the painted half-grin face bearing down on him.

A swift sidestep defeats the overconfident Thug's dreams of skewering a half-Orc. Not today, Whelp. Thokk returns the clumsy strike with a swift uppercut of his own.

Spoiler: Actions/Rolls
    Show
    Thokk doesn't move this round, instead taking AOO and Standard action unarmed strike.

Attack of opportunity
    Attack (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage (1d3+5)[6]

Standard Action Strike
    Attack (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage (1d3+5)[8]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Both of Thokk's swings catch nothing but air as they swing toward the passing thug.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Realizing that his meat-shield had missed and that the thug was heading his way, Nilbog screams "GAAAAAH!" as he takes a few steps back in order to fire his crossbow, all the while pleading "NOT THE FACE! NOT THE FACE!"

Spoiler
    Show

Nilbog does a 5 foot adjustment backward
    Attack roll: (1d20+3)[13]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Nilbog's bolt let's loose and hits the thug right in the chest, dropping him.

From above on the roof, a feminine laugh can be heard, and a bolt flies down hitting the thug that was rendered unconscious from the Arrow of Dusk. The thugs are dead now and the woman on the roof speaks up, "Now now, you shouldn't be messing around with the Last Laugh. You don't know what you are getting yourselves into. This priest was interfering with important, and profitable business." The figure doesn't remove her hood, and features can't be made out, "However, it was distasteful, don't you agree? Well, they are dead now. You better get that priest to his church, he looks pretty banged up." With that she drops something and a smokescreen fills the air above the alleyway, when it clears she is gone.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

As the mysterious woman throws her smokescreen, Nilbog is heard shouting "Hey! Hey! Wait! I said WAIT!" Realizing that it was already too late, the Goblin starts muttering curses under his breath as he looks at the thug that he had killed. "You dared pick on me because I was small, DIDN'T YOU?" he demands from the lifeless corpse as he gives it a swift kick "Tell your friends in the after-life that this is what happens to those who dare to mess with NILBOG THE GREAT!" As he growls his declaration, the Goblin gets an idea. "LEAVE NO EVIDENCE!" he declares, as he begins to search the corpse for any evidence... and by evidence, Nilbog means anything of even remote value.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Oh the corpses, there are their street cloths, medium light crossbows and 20 bolts each, three daggers each, and small money bags containing 4 copper, and 8 silver all together.

The old man is wearing a wooden symbol of St. Cuthbert, and has some kind of potion on his belt. If you check his money pouch you'll find 2 gold pieces.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't worry, girl", Argo say to the vigilante as she leaves, "I wonder if she is pretty...", he say before looking at the dead thugs.

"Let's take this priest back to safety before we are found in this crime scene", he tell them and look at the orc friend, "Can you carry him?".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Nilbog rummages through the thug's belongings and takes the crossbow bolts for himself, however leaving a bolts few on each of the corpses. As the crossbows are too big for him to use, instead placing them in the grasps of the thugs that he and Booker had killed. He then takes one of the daggers from the one that the mysterious woman had killed and using it to stab the thug that Booker had slain, before returning it to the corpse's grasp.

He then takes a moment to look at his work as he describes the scene as if he was directing a play "Three ruffians... friends since childhood decided to go out and see what bounty the dark streets of this city can offer. ALAS THOUGH! Fate struck them a cruel blow, as an argument erupted amongst the three friends leading to all three of them drawing their weapons at each other! AND ALAS! None survived... what a tragedy... what a tragedy..." he says covering his face as if he was crying... before letting out a sly grin.

"Well... that's what those foolish fools of a fool guards will believe at least. And none will be the wiser... none will ever suspect that this is but a ruse... a ruse made by none other that NILBOG THE GREAT! Mwahahahahahah! I am so clever!"
    he says gloating over how his plan was going to fool the city guard.

Spoiler
    Show

Rolling for Forgery (1d20+5)[16]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"A nice piece of art, Nilbog", Argo tell the goblin, "But let's keep on moving, shall we?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

A scowl edges onto Thokk's face at the statement of the woman. He kneels down and looks over the Corpses of the Thugs, shuffling through the belongings then tossing the bodies aside. "Here, Nilbog." He grumbles out, handing the goblin a case of crossbow bolts, clearly deep in thought.

Thokk pulls a dagger from a thig's belt and holds it up to the moonlight, searching the whole length of the blade, as well the hilt and handle for any kind of Smith Mark or origin mark. Any sort of clue as to the blade's origin.

He looks up at Argo, face illuminated by moonlight. "Yes.. I will carry this man to his temple." At that, he hoists the priest over his shoulder, arms dangling down his broad back. He pockets the dagger, determined to not be unarmed again.

Spoiler: Search Check on Dagger
    Show
    (1d20+1)[4]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"Ok! Let's move!", Argo says following Thokk toward the temple of St. Cuthbert, "But I dont know if it would be very wise for us to get in the temple, but... Nevermind let's do it".

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The group arrives at the Church of St. Cuthbert, a large cathedral build with large imposing windows. Lights inside bring a multicolored mosaic to life as water drips down them. The group bring the priest in, and are immediately are met with three women in dark mauve robes. They take the man and lay him on one of the benches. A woman enters with a look of surprise on her face, she moves over and checks to see if the old man is alive and closes her eyes, whispering a prayer to her deity. Healing light rushes from her to the man, and he awakens, "What happened Rufus? What did you found out?" She stops herself and turns to the four, "Please be seated, I need to speak with Rufus first, then we can speak." She takes the old man beyond a large door to speak with him, guiding him softly.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

"We'll be waiting here", says Argo sitting on the bench.

As much as they were doing a good act, the elf cant shake the fact the church of St. Cuthbertis waaaaay too lawful to his liking. Maybe coming here was a mistake. But maybe not. Deity of retribution: that is something that is capable of striking fear in someone's heart.

"Well, the worst case scenario is being judged by killing those thugs and saving the priest, which would be at least hilarious", he thinks and smile.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Nilbog is fidgeting restlessly on his seat, all the will wringing his hands as he takes in the sights of the church that had barred his entrance on so many occasions. "Yes! Yes! I am finally in! My plan to infiltrate the church has succeeded as I knew it would!" he mumbles to himself in glee.