New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Coming up with a world for the Burrwood Institute.

I'm trying to come up with a world for my adventurer school. With that in mind I should lay down some basics first. The Burrwood Institute was established relatively recently, about six or so years ago in the setting's timeline. It's mission purpose is to educate and train young men and women in the ways to combat evil and danger in all forms, human and non-human. The Burrwood Institute enjoys the full support of it's host government, which draws agents from the academy's alumni. The Burrwood Institute's setting is more modern than most, I'm not sure how modern yet.

In the setting I'd like to build for the school magic is common, powerful PC grade magic is rare. Small talents and knacks are easy to find, like a healer who's herbal remedies double or even triple their patients healing rate, a thief who can crack locks by "feeling" inside them and gently tapping at a lock until it opens or blacksmith, who by merely running the tips of his fingers over a weapon, shield, piece of armor or metal object can learn what metal it was made from. He could also learn the quality of the metal, it's condition, if it's been repaired, the force with which it struck, or was struck, and even if it' s magical in nature. That and forging magical weapons, shields and armor with out any sorcerous or wizardly power of his own.

Yes, this setting has witch hunters, but witch hunters (typically) don't hunt witches simply for being witches or other spell casters. Instead witch hunters do so for country, revenge, as murder for hire or because spellslinger just skipped bail and they're the ones with the skill, magic or contacts to take them down. So the academy's head witch/professor of ritual magic and potionry has nothing to fear from witch hunters. Unless someone puts out a hit on her or some foreign power has her in the cross-hairs.
    Last edited by Agrippa; 2015-01-01 at 11:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Coming up with a world for the Burrwood Institute.

Spoiler: Region map
    Show

The above is a very rough first sketch of one of the main regions in my campaign setting. It's capital city (which I haven't named yet either) is home to the Burrwood Institute. The wall surrounding this map's civilized area is several centuries old and is no longer used for holding off land attack from rivals of this coastal republic. It is however still used against hordes of monstrous beasts, the walking dead and evil spirits of the dead, malignant fairies, and encroachment from a distant hellmouth in the Dead Wastes of Pandemonium, formerly the Painted Wood.

I say formerly because about 550 years ago the humans of the area burned it to the ground and salted the ground in hope of putting the demonic incursions to a permanent end. Then turned the wasteland into a scrapyard decades ago, giving said dormant demons enough raw materials and ample room to build a proper foothold on earth. Complete with weapons, armor and fortresses made from transmuted scrap metal. Nice job breaking it morons.

In terms of technological advancement my setting is going through it's Industrial Revolution, with notable reformers pushing child and general labor laws. In addition to that you have remnants of ancient civilizations and both the treasures and magics they left behind, ripe for the discovery/plunder. Unfortunately this world also has nightmarish monsters lurking in the outskirts of civilization, in the wilds, within ruins and even among us.

3. - Top - End - #3

Gods

In this world there are beings of will and power made manifest, first brought into existence the great Protogenoi who shaped the cosmos. These are the gods of Cré Fliuch elven for "wet earth", Midgard, Middle Earth in the ancient Runic tongue or the Hellenic Systáda Kti̱matologíou for "clump of lands", depending on which name you prefer. Though primarily creatures of spirit and raw essence, this unable to die of thirst or starvation, gods still require sustenance like all other living creatures. These gods claim Heaven as their realm after overthrowing their creators millennia ago.

To be continued.
    Last edited by Agrippa; 2014-10-24 at 10:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Fairies

Reserved
    Last edited by Agrippa; 2014-10-03 at 02:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Ghosts

Reserved

6. - Top - End - #6

Demons

Reserved

7. - Top - End - #7

Dragons (if any)

Reserved

8. - Top - End - #8

Beasts

Reserved

9. - Top - End - #9

The Walking Dead

Reserved

10. - Top - End - #10

Magic: The Supernatural and superhuman.

One common misconception is that the supernatural is unnatural. That is simply untrue. The supernatural is merely above or over the natural, or to put it more accurately, it is above this state of nature. What we call supernatural isn't unnatural so much as it's a higher and more refined form of nature. Further more, the use of the supernatural is more common than most think it is.

Rituals
    Last edited by Agrippa; 2014-10-13 at 02:39 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Rote

Reserved

12. - Top - End - #12

Sorcery

Reserved

13. - Top - End - #13

Thaumaturgy

Reserved

14. - Top - End - #14

Hedge Magic

Reserved

15. - Top - End - #15

Talents

• augment skill with reflexive use of magic
    • enhances mental or physical prowess
    • manifests paranormal powers
    • ubiquitous, all sapient life forms have at least on talent, very few talents are all that suited to adventuring
    • talents cannot be simply learned, but can be "imprinted" or developed from exceptional skill
    • some talent are passed along bloodlines
    • empowered by the user's inner strength or chi
    Last edited by Agrippa; 2014-10-06 at 09:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Martial Arts

Mundane

Supernatural Martial Arts: a blend of warlike skill and magic

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm starting to add lists to each section. Later these lists will give way to full paragraphs of flavor texts. I just need help rewriting what ever lists I come up with into full text.

18. - Top - End - #18

Johan Freudenberger - Governor of (this region)

Physical Description: Johan is an impressively, some say intimidatingly, built man in his late 50's to early 60's, with almost silver-gray hair and blue-grey eyes. At nearly 7' tall (he's actually 6'10") Dr. Freudenberger dwarfs almost everyone around him, the only exception being the fire stone golem named the Tireless Ruby Champion of the Working People. Not only is Johan Freudenberger exceedingly tall, he is also very strong, with broad shoulders and a muscular frame hidden underneath either his lab coat or his light gray military style outfit, complete with blue-green long coat.

Personality: Johan is a mostly stern and taciturn man who tires of politics and the stress it causes him. Johan does however have his children and his students, both of which serve as a source of pride and joy for him.

Background:

Other: Is a professor at the Burrwood Institute. He provides instruction in Advanced Unarmed Martial Arts, Advanced Melee Weapons-Based Martial Arts and Artifice.
    Last edited by Agrippa; 2014-10-12 at 08:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

I've reserved about as much as I feel like. Feel free to post your own ideas and suggestions. That's what I started this thread for in the first place.

20. - Top - End - #20

I'm starting on gods right now.