New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [3.5] Taking Multiple Sorcerer Bloodline Feats?

Specifically, the Dragon Compendium feats that give a sorcerer an extra spell known of each level. There's nothing saying that you can't take more than one of them, and there's no real fluff against taking multiple (after all, more magical ancestors = higher chance of being a sorcerer). Are they a good way for a sorcerer to expand their versatility, especially if they have a means of acquiring extra feats (e.g. through flaws)?
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Taking Multiple Sorcerer Bloodline Feats?

RAW, the Dragon Compendium version - yes, you can take multiples. I think maybe in the original Dragon Mags where they appeared might have forbidden this, but that's irrelevant (from a RAW standpoint) to the DMC versions.

From a roleplaying perspective, having certain bloodline combos might be a little odd. Unless your grandaddy was a treant and your grandma a vampire, reconciling certain pairings might be a little weird.

...and yes, I think bloodline feats are a great way to nab extra spells known, better bang for your buck than any other feat investment I am aware of.

[edit] PS, I don't believe you are restricted to taking them at 1st level only, either. [/edit]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    From a roleplaying perspective, having certain bloodline combos might be a little odd. Unless your grandaddy was a treant and your grandma a vampire, reconciling certain pairings might be a little weird.
    Any incredulity the combination might inspire is surely dwarfed—nay, petaled—by that of merely having a treant or vampire as an ancestor at all.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

No, you cannot take more than one bloodline according to RAW. Dragon Compendium, page 88 says, "A character may choose only one base bloodline feat."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Only one bloodline feat may be selected.

As an alternative option, there is always the Mother Cyst feat for some very devastating and cool necrotic spells to add to your list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I like that you can predict the future. Why, you must be some sort of wizard.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deox View Post
    As an alternative option, there is always the Mother Cyst feat for some very devastating and cool necrotic spells to add to your list.
    Dragon #330 also has Cerebrosis, a similar feat that gives some fun Far Realm based spells that you can choose to "escalate" by taking a risk it'll backfire.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agincourt View Post
    No, you cannot take more than one bloodline according to RAW. Dragon Compendium, page 88 says, "A character may choose only one base bloodline feat."
    It does indeed - missed that all this time, despite re-reading the section specifically to answer this thread. My bad.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Dragon #330 also has Cerebrosis, a similar feat that gives some fun Far Realm based spells that you can choose to "escalate" by taking a risk it'll backfire.
    Just read those spells from the list. Love them. Lingering Raver is especially hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I like that you can predict the future. Why, you must be some sort of wizard.

9. - Top - End - #9

Reasonably speaking, this would probably happen if you descended from Sorcerers of various bloodlines. It does not seem unrealistic, characters with mysterious powers and a tendency to be rejected by society probably have some incentive for banding together. Add in the very high charisma of all concerned and pants probably get lost occasionally.

If you are allowed Pathfinder material, I'd take a look at the Mongrelblooded bloodline, for building a fluff case for the DM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

It does indeed - missed that all this time, despite re-reading the section specifically to answer this thread. My bad.
    Damn. I missed it too, and I read the section twice in a row...

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll take a look at Mother Cyst and Cerebrosis for sure.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!