Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Back to Basics (Group 2)

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    In what language is he asking that?
    Last edited by Amanil; 2014-10-01 at 03:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32

Jamros had uttered not a word the entire time the children had been begging, he had gone a bit defensive when the children approached, but he had for the most part been able to ignore them, albeit anxiously. His eyes betrayed his discomfort as he looked at Clauss, before he reached into his backpack, "Are you alright? I have some water, if that would help."
    Last edited by UristMcRandom; 2014-10-01 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added a touch of common decency.
    Quote Originally Posted by OctoberRaven View Post
    "It's a fireball. It's basically a magic hand grenade."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    he's speaking in someone-get-this-guy-some-water-before-he-collapses-anese
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Her right hand freezes in its trek toward her pouch after Clauss presents the girl with coins in his hand, and Eirien watches the exchange with a cool demeanor. Once the gnome turns her way, her hand breaks away from her belt to form a simple gesture: Hand held before her, fingers together and upright.

After a pause, she pulls her cloak shut once more, and clarifies, "I am not here for a show." To the Halfling girl, she adds, "Ask for Eirien Senireni, by name, at the Lively Wench inn, this evening. I'll see you find hospitality better than the street outside, if I'm still there." She thinks for a moment, before speaking more to the air than to anyone else, "It may help to practice the name. The innkeeper is elven, as I am." Her attention returns to the queue.

Show
    The name is (very roughly) pronounced 'Ai-ree-en sen-eye-ren-ee'. Her chosen surname is spelled with an 'e' in the middle on official documents due a "a misunderstanding". Eirien leaves this part out when she uses it.

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    It's a descriptive surname, not a family name, and the additional phoneme changes the meaning from a sympathetic one (albeit one dubiously open to interpretation) into what appears to be a stealth insult or ironic nickname.

Spoiler: Jamros
    Show
    Knowing Elven, Jamros would recognize Eirien's name, and that she speaks with a foreign accent; using other details he can deduce that she's not from this kingdom. Her first name refers to a ubiquitous white flower, and seems both common and fitting. Her surname describes her as a 'silent custodian', or some variation on that theme.
    Last edited by Navian; 2014-10-01 at 06:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

Beholder

The girl graciously accepts the coins offered by Clauss, looking genuinely surprised and gazing in wonder at the glowing one. After a few moments she carefully stuffs the (for her) ludicrously sized discs into a patchwork pocket on the front of her "dress" and manages a surprisingly elegant curtsey.

"Ai-reen Sen-eye-ren-eye," she attempts, repeating it to herself as she slowly toddles off in the direction the other children went, blanket dragging along the ground behind her.

The priest nods his approval at the charity, seemingly noting something on his clipboard.

6. - Top - End - #36

Jamros' eyes widened for a moment as he heard Eirien speak, of course she's an Elf, he should have known by her appearance, but still... He shook his head and looked at Clauss, attempting to clear his head of thoughts for a bit.

Show
    Can I make a skill check to identify what's up with Clauss, and if so what skill would that be? I'm thinking some form of Knowledge, but I'm not sure.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #37

Beholder

Show
    Go with Heal. If you get DC15 or above then ask his player, because heck if I know.
    Last edited by Amanil; 2014-10-01 at 10:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

"plea..." he nodded and gratefully accepted the water. He drank as much of it as he could, and left enough for Jamros, should he need a swig himself. He gasped a bit hoarsely when he finished, but otherwise seems he is already feeling a bit better.
    "Garl bless you with fortune, Jamros." he spoke, his voice tender and somewhat uplifted, if a bit hoarse. "I believe I should be fine, I simply bumped into a few thugs on my journey here - gave me a good thumpity-thumping. It pains me in a few spots but It's what one gets for choosing his time and place poorly, I suppose."
    Show
    "I'm not badly hurt, some nice people just dropped by and beat me to a pulp."

Sorry, Urist, I nearly missed your response to Clauss's injuries and alarming other stuff, I really only noticed Jamros saying something today!
    Show
    Now, before you say anything, I just wanna say - let's please not spoil this by using game mechanics - wounds heal and stuff, and he doesn't have bleeding wounds (sans the tooth that fell out, but I think it should have stopped by now.) I don't know why I found the idea playing an injured character amusing, but I still do...
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2014-10-02 at 04:49 AM.
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler: DM, Allundril
    Show
    Allundril listens quietly to those inside the room, while all the commotion goes on the other side of the room. I don´t find any diference between that and the other buildings in this town, equally loud. i´ll charge 10gp per day... plus, any loot found during this quest, divided equally within the members of our party, and if any healing services are required i would pledge for a discount in the cost if not for free, if there is a healer. allundrill ears its now tempted to look backwards to see whats going on since the dwarf stomped out

Show
    Immeral is another pc of my, sorry for that
    Last edited by Sandviper; 2014-10-02 at 08:52 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Beholder

Spoiler: Allundril, Sar'tul
    Show
    Father Quintus mused for a moment then nodded. "Agreeable. I am sure Brother Sar'tul will be happy to tend to your wounds should it be needed. Regarding the distribution of assets, that is something you will have to work out with the rest of your party. Your proposal seems fair, as long as it is kept within what is deemed appropriate by law."

"If you have no other questions, please feel free to make any other arrangements you need and reconvene here at noon. Brother Sar'tul," he called out to the departing dwarf. "When you've contented yourself that peace has returned, send the next applicant in."

Spoiler: Clauss, OOC
    Show
    That's fine. Put yourself at 1 hit point, and try to make it sound less like you're dying from some sort of contagious infection and play up the bruises.

11. - Top - End - #41

Spoiler: DM, Allundril
    Show
    Sar'tul Looked back a moment to hear Father Quintus' Order, then nodded saying, "Alri' Father, i will be back wit the next lad, or miss if need be" Sar'tul fully exited the room, and stepped out into the main church.

A stocky Dwarf Exited a door at the back of the church, proceeding to the queue with an angry expression. He wore Scale Armor fashioned to look like silver chain mail robes plated with small scales, and at his side was a club with a holy symbol of cuthbert hanging from it. He had gleaming silver eyes, and his Copper Beard had a large holy symbol weaved into the middle of it.
    "Oi! What be the Comotion out 'ere."

Spoiler: Etc.
    Show
    Current Characters:
    Kraguri/Ikuma, Dusk Caste Seeking Redemption
    Rha' Stag, Hunter of Beasts, Slayer of Fools

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I'm writing that as "nonlethal damage", I don't assume there were weapons, just a bunch of brutes who pounded him, though I should mention at one point they took turns kicking his stomach until he vomited, needless to say, it wasn't pretty.

As for RP, it depends, really: I mean, are pounding wounds, sore throat and dehydration contagious?
    Nah, you are kind of right, though, I may have gone a bit overboard to set myself apart from your average mysterious stranger with an ominous rasp - I figured I had to up the ante somehow, given not seeing anyone care I want to invoke concerns for your fellow man (gnome) with Clauss one way or another, and I figured a little field experimentation was okay, maybe I should have checked with you first...? I am sorry if it came as a bit of a shock though. >_#
    EDIT NOTE: I also figure it's a believable portrayal of "seriously misfortunate sap", especially given he does not have access to healing magic.

Oh! He also hasn't stopped to examine his injuries yet. so aside from his sore spots and physical weakness he thinks he can go on, and he is in for a surprise next time he looks in the mirror, hee hee

Clauss stares at the dwarf with little to say but his truth.
    "Just conversing, sir. For we are all waiting quite a bit out here."
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2014-10-02 at 01:10 PM.

My Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #43

Sar'tul looks down upon the gnome, and asks, "What be with you little lad, you seem a lit'le discolored.." Sar'tul then looks around at the rest of the queue, looking to who is in front of the line, and then to the priest who overlooked them. He gestures to the man to send the next one with him, and then looks back to the Gnome who answered for them all.
    I heard more than just conversin', what were them jabberin's earlier.
    Last edited by TwentyFold; 2014-10-02 at 01:21 PM.

Show
    Current Characters:

14. - Top - End - #44

Beholder

The priest at the head of the queue indicates to Jamros that he should enter. "Father Quintus is in the room to the right, knock twice then enter."

15. - Top - End - #45

Sar'tul Steps out of the way of the tall Half Elf, and proceeds to further inquire at the disturbance. Then calling back says, " if you would be a good lad, let Father Quintus know i will be with ya shortly"
    Last edited by TwentyFold; 2014-10-02 at 01:37 PM.

Show
    Current Characters:

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Good heavens - I haven't the heart to say "I lured a bunch of orphans from the church with shiny lights and empty promises"

I'm not crazy, by the way. My mother had me tested

"'discolored?' What are you talking about? My 'colors' are at their prime, and Garl Glittergold could only have smiled upon my pilgrimage. T'is the Luck of the Gnomish, I would say. he says proudly, though his battered appearance and pitiful smile present a different notion.

My Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #47

Sar'tul Raised a bushy copper eyebrow at the gnome, possibly this gnome was lying, but by the way he wobbled, he thought he was just trying to shove the injuries aside. He then Raised a hand to the gnome and gestured him foreward saying, "C'mere lad, let me have a look at ya, if you have no mind to it."

Show
    Current Characters:

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Clauss advanced to the dwarf by the door, not too easily, by the looks of it."Is something the matter, sir? It only makes sense I would have a few scrapes and bruises after this morning; but brutes with no blades can't slice a heart like they can smack the skin, could they?" he smiles to Sar'tul, perhaps a tad optimistically given what he's talking about.
    Spoiler: OOC (Sar'tul)
    Show
    That's mighty kind of you, are you a doctor or something? I'm admittedly guilty of forgetting.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2014-10-02 at 03:35 PM.

My Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #49

Jamros nods gently to the others in the line and the priest as he steps forwards to enter the church.

Show
    Jamros approaches the door to the room the priest indicated, hesitates for one second, sighs, and then raps on the door twice in quick succession. He opens the door, and enters.
    Last edited by UristMcRandom; 2014-10-02 at 03:41 PM.
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #50

Eirien turns her head and murmurs something... inaudible even to those who noticed her speaking. Seeing the line moving up, she let the right side of her cloak trail away and smoothly advanced on the door somewhat like a grey thundercloud, before stopping abruptly a few feet away to eye Sar'tul warily.

21. - Top - End - #51

Thar be a good la... wait a mo, what thugs are ya talkin of?! Sar'tul raised a hand, but then lowers it as he pauses and asks the question, but even as he lowers his arm, waves of silver magic envelope you, and healing occurs. (Heal 1d8+1 (Cure Light Wounds), wish i had Vigor, if i did it would be 100% better).
    Then, looking down the line while he waits for the Gnome to speak, he notices the eyes of an elf watch him warily, and nods in her direction, letting her be wary if she so wished.
    Last edited by TwentyFold; 2014-10-02 at 04:28 PM.

Show
    Current Characters:

22. - Top - End - #52

Beholder

Show
    The side room is small and simply furnished - a wooden desk with a neat arrangement of parchments and scrolls. Seated behind the desk is an elderly man, probably in his sixties. A stern expression is on his face, and his long, white hair is pulled neatly back. A short, neatly-combed, grey - verging on white - beard adorns his chin. He wears grey robes, similar to those of the dwarf who came outside, except this one has a band of sky blue running around it.

"Welcome," he speaks, eyeing the snake. "Another wildman here for a taste of civilisation, it seems. Tell me, sir, what talents do you possess that the church may wish to employ?"
    Last edited by Amanil; 2014-10-02 at 04:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

"there were a gang of them, I...think I remember one of them was an elf, but who can be sure? –it all happened lightning fast that my memory Serves only what I could feel and hear with mud in my eyes." the gnome cooperates to his best recollection. It's the least he could do for the priest who is willing to tend to his wounds.

"—Good heavens!" Clauss cried and stretches himself briefly. the pain -it is gone!" he smiles once more - "I know a little magic myself, but you, sir, are a miracle worker!" he reaches for a handshake with both hands.
    Spoiler: Sar'tul
    Show
    Clause whispers away from elven earshot."between you and I, sir - I shall make it up to you somehow. I don't know how yet. The whole reason I came to Harlskeep was for an honest pay, so once I find one... It would be much easier to promise once I have what to offer, frankly, "
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2014-10-02 at 05:27 PM.

My Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #54

"Broken ribs can pierce a heart, much as any blade," she comments, for Clauss's sake, as the healing takes effect. She observes the results. "Your fortunes today would please Erevan, I regret that I cannot douse you with wine, as you celebrate." Eirien somehow keeps a straight face throughout, gently leaning from side to side.
    Last edited by Navian; 2014-10-02 at 05:36 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Well lad, it wa' nothin, just a simple helpin hand to ya. said Sar'tul as he looked back to the Gnome, shaking his smaller hands.
    Spoiler: Clauss
    Show
    and jus' betwixt you and i, a dwarf ain't the best to lay a favor on, but i promise i be more humble than i look. Stealing a quick wink to the Gnome

Then, looking up to all, Sar'tul said i will return to interviewin, i will retrieve whoever is next once we be done with the last, he then took a long look up to the elf, smiled, then he turned, and went back to the interview room, his large callused hands behind his back.
    Last edited by TwentyFold; 2014-10-02 at 06:55 PM. Reason: NEED TO SHAKE THE MANS HANDS!!!

Show
    Current Characters:

26. - Top - End - #56

Spoiler: DM, Sar'tul (I think?)
    Show
    Jamros bows slightly before the elderly man, "Father Quintus, I offer for your service my mightiest nature magic, along with my club and my spear," he said, indicating the holly and mistletoe around his wrist, and his weapons.
    Last edited by UristMcRandom; 2014-10-02 at 07:30 PM.
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #57

Beholder

Spoiler: Jamros, Sar'tul
    Show
    The dwarf enters shortly after Jamros, close enough to hear his introduction.

Spoiler: Sar'tul, OOC
    Show
    Feel free to read UristMcRandom's last post addressed to the DM.

"I believe we already have a tracker arranged, but given that the criminals have likely taken refuge in the wilderness it may be prudent to have one in harmony with it come along. What say you, Brother Sar'tul?"

28. - Top - End - #58

Spoiler: DM, Jamros
    Show
    Tha' would be a welcome plan Father, especially since we ha' no naturaly attuned lads, one who be connected this much is welcomed greatly. Sartul Says, then gives a smile to the tall man, but then frowns at the snake, he raises an eyebrow at it then shrugs and goes back to sitting on his chair.

Show
    Current Characters:

29. - Top - End - #59

Beholder

Spoiler: Jamros, Sar'tul
    Show
    "Very good, very good... now, what do you believe your services as a guide of the roads and as a master of nature are worth? There is a risk of danger in this task - certainly nothing to be balked at, that I assure you. It is a good cause, though, if not the finest."

30. - Top - End - #60

Spoiler: DM, Sar'tul
    Show
    Jamros pondered for a moment, shifting his weight from one foot to the other, "If the cause is worthy as you say, I ask only 7 gp for every day I am in your service, plus my share of any loot, and a small reimbursement on any spellcasting expenses."
    Last edited by UristMcRandom; 2014-10-02 at 10:02 PM.