New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Back to Basics (Group 2)

Spoiler: DM, Clauss
    Show
    Indeed lad, a thought of home can bring about just such a winklin in any lads eyes. Sar'tul says as his eyes seem to be looking elsewhere, if not the very room he is in.

Spoiler: Etc.
    Show
    Current Characters:
    Kraguri/Ikuma, Dusk Caste Seeking Redemption
    Rha' Stag, Hunter of Beasts, Slayer of Fools

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: DM, Sar'tul
    Show
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm not 100% clear on it - did I get the job?
    Clauss speaks clearly and confidently, shifting the tone of his voice with greater rhetoric than he originally led on."And all I need to begin this change is a chance, fathers, I will prove my worth and you will see in a good light that I am no mere legerdemainist, hermitting the land like a halfling's uncle. Nay, fathers; I am a gnome at his prime, rife with ingenuity coupled with arcane prowess. Surely the wise priests hear the children rhyme too: "A strand of string to feed a gnome's craze and his quorum of quackery will work and amaze". He lowered his voice to whispery pondering.
    "Can you imagine, just what a gnome would do if he could pluck all the "strings" he could ever want from a campfire's burning tongue?"
    Show
    Okay, so perhaps Clauss is exaggerating, perhaps not. Either way - I want a spell that does this, perhaps a cantrip if it isn't literally a rope of searing flame
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2014-10-09 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Spoiler: Sar'tul, Clauss
    Show
    "You have high aspirations, and a little ambition can go a long way. The church thanks you in advance for your service, and other than covering expenses I'm sure we can come to some arrangement over compensation pending performance," the priest states, as if the matter was resolved.

"Return at noon, where Brother Sar'tul will fill you in on the specifics. Please send in the next applicant if there is one."

"Children are worthy of our attention, a little guidance goes a long way," the priest notes. "Your views on charity are wise - better to provide for the needy than the greedy." He seems to chuckle at his own lame joke.

4. - Top - End - #94

Eirien softly comments, "Yes, that's the joke," her knuckles going white for a moment as she strains not to explain the double-entendre with all condescension. She eventually settles for the oblique and deflective approach. "Nearly all in these lands seem like children, to elven ears, be they knee-high or our height and half again." She slouches somewhat, leaning on her spear and letting her free hand dangle at the side, as if drained by the effort.
    Last edited by Navian; 2014-10-10 at 01:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: DM; Sar'tul
    Show
    "thank you, father Quintus; Father Sar'tul." He bowed oddly again and walked away."You will not regret it!"
    Show
    Feel better, Twenty. I hope it's just a rough day and nothing more... Fingers crossed for ya!
    Clauss was heard stepping through the halls and poked his head through the door. his head was held high - if only to address the others."Eirienne?" he smiled, naive of the mispronunciation of the lady's name."The Clerics will see you now. Good luck!" he walked out, curious of what to do until noon."Oh, and be careful with the fathers: a man aged with wisdom and experience such as father Quintus would not be easily impressed."
    Show
    Sorry you had to wait on me to finish - busy day and my tablet broke - bummer.

He stood there by the church for a moment, before finally asking.
    "Father Quintus sent me on my way before I could ask for that herbal tonic" Clauss said, somewhat disappointed. "where can I get a pleasant drink in this town?"
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2014-10-10 at 04:49 PM.
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #96

"I'm here," comments Eirien as the gnome addresses her. She nods to him and listens with partial attention and little expression, then turns her head back to the priest. "Excuse me," comes Eirien's request as she half-bows to him, left hand over her heart, half-apologetically and with half a smile.
    Last edited by Navian; 2014-10-10 at 05:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97

Show
    Sorry for all the useless OOC posts. I'm still alive, and I should be able to post something meaningfull tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by OctoberRaven View Post
    "It's a fireball. It's basically a magic hand grenade."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #98

Beholder

Spoiler: Eirien, Sar'tul
    Show
    The side room Eirien was directed to is small and simply furnished - a wooden desk with a neat arrangement of parchments and scrolls. Seated behind the desk is an elderly man, probably in his sixties. A stern expression is on his face, and his long, white hair is pulled neatly back. A short, neatly-combed, grey - verging on white - beard adorns his chin. Standing to his side is the same dwarf who exited the church earlier. Both wear grey robes with white trim, with those of the seated man's having a second band of sky blue. The dwarf is armoured in scale mail.

The seated man eyes Eirien up and down, obviously silently appraising her.

"Welcome, my child. I am Father Quintus, and this is Brother Sar'tul." He motions with one hand at the dwarf. "What brings you under the roof of St. Cuthbert this morning?"
    Last edited by Amanil; 2014-10-11 at 01:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

Spoiler: DM (OOC)
    Show
    Oh, I thought we were going to finish that conversation outside, first. I understand wanting to get this over with, though.

Show
    Eirien carries her spear under her arm, almost letting the point drag behind her as she weaves it around before leaving it outside the office. Her movements weren't relaxed, exactly, but sinuous, until she found herself in the presence of Father Quintus. Then she stiffened up and pulled off her hood, holding her hands at her side, her pupils contracting.

"Eirien Senireni is my name, Father Quintus. I come to answer the job posting, I'm in search of employment, as was described." Her voice and expression are tightly controlled, though her hands can be seen trembling as if anticipating confrontation. Once they are noticed, she glances down and quickly clasps them behind her back.

10. - Top - End - #100

Beholder

Spoiler: Eirien, OOC
    Show
    Sorry, assumed that bit just wrapped itself up.

Show
    "Of course you are," he nodded, glancing at the parchment in front of him and making a note or two. "And tell me, Eirien Senireni," he pronunciation is perfect, "what skills might you possess that you feel could be of value?" His blue eyes lock on to the elf's, and it is almost like the man is looking beyond what is visibly evident as he awaits a response.

11. - Top - End - #101

Show
    Eirien nods her head forward and shifts her weight along with it, a note of sarcasm finding its way into her voice. "Knowing nothing of the task but scant suggestions of whom is sought for it, I can only speculate. To keep it short, I can fight, ride, and find my way into lost realms where no one's dared trespass in centuries. Much more importantly, I know when to turn back and how to get out, else I'd be bones beside erstwhile companions." She takes a slow, deep breath to end her song of anger. Her eyes are never focused on his for long, she seems to take in the whole room, even the bare stone.
    Last edited by Navian; 2014-10-11 at 04:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Spoiler: DM, Eirien
    Show
    Sar'tul watches the exchange with amusement, and then studies the suspicious elf, watching her with an heir of distrust and curiosity, then looks back to Father Quintus to watch his response to her Sarcasm lined explanation.

Show
    Current Characters:

13. - Top - End - #103

Beholder

Show
    "A fine skillset indeed, and by the way you say it I'd say I believe you," Quintus notes, making a few marks on the parchment. "So, let's not waste time dancing around the important details. The task you will be undertaking will likely involve an element of risk, but will primarily be investigative. Quite frankly, we don't know how much risk there will be."

He paused for a moment to appraise Eirien's reaction. "Given this, what would your daily fee be? I'm afraid I cannot tell you how long the task will take, so if you have financial obligations please keep that in mind."

14. - Top - End - #104

Show
    Eirien nods, and looks pensive, quickly brushing one thumb across her cheek while otherwise maintaining her posture, then continues to gesture one-handed for each point of her speech, as she goes on in a reedy voice.

"I expect pay in gold, at least five pieces per day, plus expenses, less with room and board. I need compensation for what risk proves worse than travelling the roads alone; and a worthy bonus for breakthroughs in the investigation, particularly of the sort that makes lasting enemies. Is the task within Harlskeep?"

Her eyes gradually focus on Father Quintus, though they seem to dart across his outline without locking on. Eirien appears to be more relaxed, and seems to express a mix of nervousness and bewilderment that's at odds with her straightforward and flawless diction. She clasps her hands out of sight once more after asking her question.
    Last edited by Navian; 2014-10-13 at 04:03 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Beholder

Show
    "That seems reasonable - payment will be made weekly or upon completion. Any expenses will have to be agreed with Brother Sar'tul, we will recompense those he approves. You will be acting with the authority of the church, any acts that reflect poorly on us will lead to disciplinary action as permitted by church law." He adds a few more notes to his parchment.

Show
    There are three levels of laws common throughout most of the civilised lands in the area (their jurisdiction and authority vary, of course):
    • Crown Law / King's Law - the individual rulings of the monarch (known as Queen's Law if the current monarch is female), who can overrule the lesser laws in any case. Generally King's Law is only invoked after direct petition, and then almost entirely in cases involving nobles. Cases of treason are always covered by King's Law.
    • Church Law - sometimes known as Temple Law, this is the rules enforced by a given religious body. It rarely covers areas covered by Common Law, but often comes down harshly on those who would do ill against the religion. Church Law can only be in effect if one of the criteria is met:
      • It directly involves a priest/clergyman of the given religion.
      • It occurs on land owned by the religion.
      • The head of any given sufficiently large church says so. Because of this, the predominant religions in an area are almost always good, and often lawful, otherwise they can be viewed as corrupt. Some seek leniency regarding an infraction of Common Law, and clemency often comes with a monetary "donation" or promise of service/pilgrimage. Heads of churches have a significant amount of power, but very rarely stretch outside of their immediate domain.
    • Common Law - enforced by the local lord and the town watch, this is the set of rules that affect most people day-to-day. It lays out what's generally illegal and the appropriate punishments. It covers crimes such as murder, rape, robbery and assault. It varies slightly from region to region but mostly only in severity.

The specifics of the laws here are a little fuzzy to you - back home church law was rarely relevant, but evidently here the church at least gets involved in some things.

Spoiler: Sar'tul, OOC
    Show
    I feel like it's relevant to point out that heads of a church are able to enforce their religious laws to some degree. Essentially, as long as it doesn't encroach on the rights of the common man the church is free to act as its own policing body. It's been heavily implied that this task will be treated as an official enactment of the church's authority, with all of the privileges and responsibilities that entails.

"I cannot promise milestone payments in gold, but the church rewards those who prove to be of service, and I think you will find the tokens of our generosity sufficient. I anticipate some seizure of goods during the task - the distribution of that I will leave to your group to agree on."

"Brother Sar'tul, based on what you have heard do you think Eirien will be of use to your group? I do not wish to burden her with any more details unless necessary."

16. - Top - End - #106

Show
    The changes in Eirien's expression are slight, but she frowns at the mention of church authority, and gives the merest shake of her head throughout the rest, before raising her eyebrow at Sar'tul. Her eyes dart back toward Father Quintus, twice, but otherwise she remains as still as an unenthusiastic statue.

17. - Top - End - #107

Spoiler: DM, Eirien
    Show
    Sar'tul stares for a breadth of time at the Elf, looking directly at her eyes, even if she does not look back. His beard twitches once, twice, before it splits from his mustache, and in its place are his lips in an open smile that never meets his eyes. As he speaks his accent heard from earlier diminishes, freeing his speech, "She will make a fine wrap up, Father Quintus, she make a fine wrap up indeed." He then stares at her some more before addressing her in his newer tone of voice, "If you would be many a kind individual, and meet me here at noon, then i will brief you in our concerning business, then i believe we will know your true mettle."

Spoiler: OCC, DM, Eirien
    Show
    Dont worry, this is just Sar'tul Expressing a concern, without really revealing it too heavily, the wise ones out of the lot will probably spot it well enough though.
    Last edited by TwentyFold; 2014-10-15 at 03:22 PM.

Show
    Current Characters:

18. - Top - End - #108

Show
    Eirien unfreezes to fold her arms and tilt her head, and eventually manages to narrow her gaze onto Sar'tul's for a moment. Once he's done speaking though, her attention jumps back to Father Quintus. "Of course. By 'acting with the authority of the church', you mean, as a mercenary? I can be polite, but I cannot pretend to be Cuthbertite."
    Last edited by Navian; 2014-10-15 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Not tomorrow, maybe today.

19. - Top - End - #109

Beholder

Show
    For the sake of stopping this game from stalling, I'm moving things on. Those currently inside the church may find things a bit jarring, but nevermind.

Show
    For the record, Sar'tul's player edited what he said - he's asking for Eirien there at noon today rather than noon tomorrow. You can update your post accordingly or not.

Spoiler: Sar'tul
    Show
    Once the interviews were over, Father Quintus sat for a moment pensively.

"Brother Sar'tul, it seems we have quite the eager group ready to do the bidding of His Righteousness. I cannot stress how important it is that St. Cuthbert's ways be followed during this endeavour. Now, on to the task at hand... Brother Isaac's task force is heading to Jannisthorp, a two-day journey away, to attempt to follow and bring to justice a group of kidnappers. This task is significantly more linear than what I ask of you."

He rifled through some of the parchment on his desk, drawing out a single sheet with words written in a language unfamiliar to you.

"Some time ago a devoted member of our flock volunteered that some of his associates seemed less than pure. A little while later, he came to me with grave concerns. It was evident that they had been swayed to the ways of The Maimed One - the foul creature that is Vecna - and indoctrinated into his cult. Given this, I believe that the kidnappings in Jannisthorp are linked to this. I have not heard from my contact - Christon - for the past week, which is unusual, and I fear the worst. He has, however, left the names of the three associates."

He transcribed some of the information in a language familiar to Sar'tul - phonetic dwarven - and handed him the parchment.

"Eloras - a low-life who lives near the docks, Dagguh - last working as a bouncer at The Foamy Pint, and Hilda - a local merchant, who may be trickier to track down."

"Keep in mind that these people are innocent until proven guilty. Your task force is relatively diverse, and I believe has the skillset needed to find these people, extract any relevant information from them, then move up the chain to root out this plague on Harlskeep. Try not to draw attention to yourself - these are likely the lowest level members of the cult, and their souls can still be saved. It is the leaders and the recruiters that we need to find."

"Do you have any questions?"

Show
    Feel free to continue this conversation/ask questions as parts of your next posts.

As noon approached the chosen candidates made their way to the church. Standing at the podium is the dwarf you all recognise as Brother Sar'tul. Father Quintus is nowhere to be seen. The rest of the church seems empty - services are held at dawn and dusk - aside from the priest who was minding the queue earlier who is busying himself with setting out fresh hymnsheets along the pews. Once the group is assembled, Sar'tul addresses them.

20. - Top - End - #110

Show
    Jarring, yes. I don't know how to fill in the blank, could have ended with anything from an angry rant to a refusal to engage to being swayed by a persuasive argument for the value of money. I'll just assume it was a bit of everything, which leaves Eirien more or less in her default state. I made the edit already on Wednesday.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    @Navian: I agree that it may be lacking something. Perhaps you guys could continue it privately via... E-Mail or something? I don't know. Though if there's a chance of refusal, it could be better off, all I know is that the show must go on! Somehow!

Clauss made sure to return early, hoping to make a slightly better first impression than last time. Once Clauss notified the church of his arrival, he waited to be summoned back in from outside under a tree (or other nearby shade available near high noon.) so as to not disturb the clergy's ceremonial preparations. He notices as others from the line show up as well, greeting them with a cheery hello and a calm smile.

My Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #112

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    Sar'tul did not answer for some time, thinking on the situation at hand. "We shall be able to find them well enough, and i will do my best to hold any thirst for blood and pain on the tightest of iron shackles. Meanwhile father, the very fabric of this mission could depend on the very actions we take, if it comes to word breaking out toward the rest of these very kidnappers, what do you advise we do?."

Sar'tul studies the gnome quizzically throughout the morning as he preoccupies himself to pass the time. But as noon approaches, Sar'tul prepares himself for those who would join him upon his mission, and as they all approach, he studies each. Meanwhile giving second glances to the Half Elf and the Elf as they to approach. While he studies he strokes the Painted Symbol of Cuthbert woven into his beard.

Show
    Current Characters:

23. - Top - End - #113

Eirien arrives in a brisk and no-nonsense manner near the appointed time, halting abruptly to pull her cloak shut and cross her arms beneath it. Her demeanor suggests mixed emotions, none pleasant or dominant.

As she waits, she stands more rigidly, as if in apprehension of the coming speech. It seems that for once, she's not straining to hear every noise all around her, though her eyes dart around the room, taking in everything and nothing, in that particular way of hers. It can't be said that she observes Sar'tul carefully, but a twitch of her eyebrow suggests some sort of involvement.

24. - Top - End - #114

Jamros entered the room quietly and took his place, his mouth clenched in what was almost a grimace. A single tear half-formed in his eye before being rapidly blinked away as he tightened his grip on his spear. He glanced around the room, noting the return of many of the people from earlier, then directed a steely gaze at Sar'tul, awaiting direction.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #115

Beholder

Show
    Show
    Retconning for stuff inside the church. In hindsight, cheating you of the last bit of your interaction was unfair, though my intentions were to get the game moving for everyone else.

"I prefer the term 'agent', it is far less militant," Father Quintus notes, a wry smile at the wordplay. "We cannot expect you to follow our ways, but at least to respect them and take them in to account for your actions. For example, in no part of your investigation would breaking the law be condoned by the church, but you will act as an agent of our law in this undertaking, with the privileges that brings."

He straightened some of his papers, looking back up at Eirien for a moment. "Will that be all? If, once, Brother Sar'tul has explained the details of the task to you you wish to change your mind, the only oath we will keep you to is keeping the information to yourself. I assure you that doing so will be for the greater good."
    Last edited by Amanil; 2014-10-19 at 04:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

Show
    Eirien leans to one side at the end of the speech, as if lightly considering turning and running out of the church as fast as she can. In an artificially breezy way, she says, "Yes, I'm familiar with that," and narrowly avoids adding 'from the other side'. "If I need anything else, I'll ask your 'agent' about it." She nods in agreement with herself and stands ready to leave.

27. - Top - End - #117

Show
    This is assuming everyone has joined (allundiril has been excused for now until he returns) around Sar'tul and awaits debriefing.

Sar'tul looks around at the hired group, bearing himself for his speech, and speaks at once in an authoritative voice, with the hint of his earlier friendliness, "Welcome, lads and lass, you are each gathered here, whether by Cuthberts will or no, to seek justice, or to seek reward. Whichever be the case, i ask of each here, that they will follow each order i give them, and if they have a clearer idea, or a better suiting one, speak with me before enacting it. The reason i say such a thing is because this mission is of a sensitive matter, not one that can be carried out by mere mercenaries, but by those of cunnin' and of skill." He looks around at the group, before continuing, "Also because lives hang at risk, and by no means shall we allow follies to sunder our goal. Now, to clarify my gibberish, our mission is to gain as much information as we can muster from a few people who have been rumored to be in cahoots with these felons. And i implore, to each of ya, that we make as little noise as we possibly can.
    "And by noise, i mean we make sure there aint no commotion, we keep quiet, and maybe we will be well and able to get this job done." Sar'tul watches for any reactions, his silver eyes meeting each that dare look, and then he ended his speech with: "Questions?"

Show
    If you have private questions please go ahead and keep em low and quiet and hit me on a spoiler, and you can ask em whenever.

Show
    Current Characters:

28. - Top - End - #118

Jamros stepped forward, "I have a question: Who exactly are these 'felons' that you speak of?"
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #119

Sar'tul focused his attention at Jamros as he stated his inquiry, then spoke to the whole congregation once again, "Not long ago, several devotees of our church, abandoned the will of Cuthbert, who is strong and just, to join a cult of Vecna. Through a reliable source, who is currently unheard from for some time, we believe that this blasphemous grouping is behind such acts.
    "Currently, a different group of hired individuals has joined another priest to Jannisthorp, to root out and put and end to this cult. Our Mission is to root out the cult here in Harlskeep, through those who have abandoned Cuthbert, as they are only known individuals of the cult we know of. But since these members are most likely low in their ranks, i again implore ya that you all make no scene, or else we may not succeed." Sartul stared back into Jamros' eyes, and asked again to all, "Any further questions?"

Show
    Current Characters:

30. - Top - End - #120

Eirien shifts from foot to foot, eager to get moving, though likely not due to enthusiasm. She wears a frown as the cult is explained, before asking her question.

"We are to lure out and ambush a small band of infidels? That seems almost too simple." She looks around to appraise the rest of the group, soon holding the back of her hand tightly over her mouth as if her thoughts might escape from it.