New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Back to Basics (Group 2)

Harlskeep's market spanned the central square, an outer square, and the road between. It was a loud and boisterous affair, with vendors of all sorts calling out their wares. For the size of Harlskeep, it was clear that the market here was larger than it needed to be to support the locals - perhaps it was a convenient stop to offload some goods on their route? Supply was higher than demand, and this kept prices competitive.

The bulk of the stalls were food of one description or another - from early fruit, to hard rye bread, to meats of a plethora of animals (some sounding decidedly unusual), and live animals themselves. Tools and cloth were also well represented, with basic hammers to intricate devices for obscure purposes you've never heard of, and from homespun wool tunics to silken dresses. Fewer in number were those selling weaponry, and a few peddlers of purported "magic" items.

The outer square is a little smaller, and contains the majority of the livestock and base goods. The central square had the more refined and luxury items - though a few of the stalls still sold something a little more common - with the road in between having a wider variety of assorted stalls.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    How do you wish to go about looking for Hilda?

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Show
    Eirien's strategy is to go about asking anyone that seems particularly knowledgeable if they know a merchant by the name of Hilda. If, by chance, this is ever successful, she'll bribe them somehow to get more information. It's Gather Information, really, so: (1d20-1)[19] is the skill roll, (1d4+1)[5] is how long it takes to produce results (and likely how much GP it costs.)

Eirien strolls out into the marketplace, having left almost allof her gear locked away in her inn room, so as not to look quite as conspicuous. She still has her sword (and her sap) with her, though, and they are ready to draw on her belt. "We'd best start asking. For now, we have nothing to go on but a name and a general profession. If you learn any more, be sure to share it with the rest of us, so we don't come across as quite so foolish."
    Last edited by Navian; 2014-11-02 at 03:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153

Show
    Pretty much the same for me.

Jamros, on the other hand, had kept his gear, with the exception of the spear. The snake remained draped over his shoulders. He glanced around the market, his eyes finally settling on the live animals, he turned to the others, "Alright. I'll begin over by the animal sellers," he said, beginning to walk towards the stalls.

Spoiler: DM (OOC)
    Show
    What are the conditions of the animals as far as Jamros can tell?
    Quote Originally Posted by OctoberRaven View Post
    "It's a fireball. It's basically a magic hand grenade."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #154

Sar'tul wanders the stalls, watching each of the party as they go about their business, and then approaches the nearest jewelry cart and admires the wares. After a time Sar'tul begins to chat w/ him/her.
    Show
    Trying to get chatty with the jeweler to gain a bonus on Gather Information, or at least i will try diplomacy and attempt to become more friendly with him/her.

Spoiler: Etc.
    Show
    Current Characters:
    Kraguri/Ikuma, Dusk Caste Seeking Redemption
    Rha' Stag, Hunter of Beasts, Slayer of Fools

5. - Top - End - #155

Beholder

Show
    I can't see why anyone would have any objections to each other knowing about the others' results, so I'm just going to post them all here. Assume you don't know about each other's until you meet back up, so you can't use any of that knowledge in your initial investigation.

Eirien's wide canvas of talking to individuals who seem to have some familiarity with the area - not necessarily just merchants - turns up a friend of a friend towards the late afternoon. A half-elf by the name of Forllil, a relatively well-dressed middle-aged man, knows of Hilda via a mutual contact - she's a local merchant, opportunistically buying and selling whatever she can to turn a profit. He only sees her on occasion, doesn't deal with her directly, but one of the people he buys his tools from - a Roland Smithson - apparently has frequent contact for whatever reason. Roland's the son of a blacksmith, whose forge is on the west side of town, outside the main walls.

Spoiler: Eirien, OOC
    Show
    No need to cross off gold, there are plenty of folks here who are willing to talk.

Jamros finds a large array of livestock - mostly young, being sold between individual herd owners to balance out their herds - and a goodly array of pack animals and horses. For the most part, they're in good health - or at least have the appearance of it. A lot of the trading seems to be done without actually seeing a significant number of the animals involved. Listening in, it's clear that many of the farmers bring in the top and bottom of their herd and guarantee that all animals in a trade will be somewhere between them in terms of value. It saves from moving large amounts of animals around, and keeps them out of the town itself. If Jamros is interested, he spots what looks like a particularly strong trio of mules being sold below their worth.

Sar'tul is drawn to the jewels like a moth to flame, though given his background the offering here is far from impressive. Most of the jewelry is the sort that may be worn by young women before their betrothal, but a few choice items definitely have some dwarven influence - you actually recognise one of the jeweller's stamps as that of an average craftsman of your home. Unfortunately, despite being friendly and appreciating the dwarf's critique of their wares, the vendors here don't seem to know of a Hilda.

Clauss gets distracted from their original purpose very early on, instead looking at the wondrous paraphernalia available at the stores of the largest market he's been in in as long as he can remember. Most of the shiny trinkets that catch his eye are just cheap garbage, but his beady gnomish eyes pick out some items that may very well be the real deal amongst all of the promises.

Spoiler: OOC, Clauss
    Show
    For whatever reason, Clauss believes that the following items are as advertised. They come from a variety of vendors. Whether it's just their smooth talking or actual quality products is another thing entirely. If Clauss wishes to use Detect Magic (I haven't actually checked if he has that spell) then let me know.

• Vial of Fortune (10gp): consumable, +1 luck bonus to your next attack, save, or skill check.
    • Sparkstick (60gp): Essentially, an infinite-use tindertwig. Looks something like a 6 inch long metal rod with carvings down its length, and has been shown to at least appear to work.
    • A variety of 1st level potions (book price) - ask if you want a specific one.
    • Healing salves (10gp) - treat as consumable items of Cure Minor Wounds, but can only be used on a person once per day.
    Last edited by Amanil; 2014-11-04 at 03:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

Eirien shares with the others, after taking back all her gear from her inn room, "There's a blacksmith just outside the walls to the west who has close contact with Hilda. He could be a supplier--or a member of the cult. We can go interrogate him there, assuming he's at home or at work." She must be expecting trouble, the only thing she hasn't brought is her longspear, and she even has her spiked metal gauntlet attached to her left arm.
    Last edited by Navian; 2014-11-04 at 03:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157

When Sar'tul met up with the rest of the group, he heard from each their results. "It seems as though this smithy is our best course then, we be off when you are all ready."

Show
    Current Characters:

8. - Top - End - #158

Jamros, after looking the mules over, inquired about the price. He'd inquire about Helga in as casual a manner as he could muster.

Show
    If the mules are affordable, and I can come up with an in-character justification,I may purchase one.

Once this was settled, he'd report his findings to the group after reclaiming his spear, "If that's what the consensus of the group is, I'm in."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: DM, OOC
    Show
    I'll waste no time:
    Yes, I do have Detect Magic, Clauss knows better than blindly trust a merchant - lord knows if such items - ill-gotten or otherwise - were authentic.
    If there is anything that is, in fact, authentic, he chose to try and bargain with the merchants:
    Spoiler: Bluff
    Show
    (1d20+6)[11]"how much for this (each authentic item, in order/potion of Mage Armor/oil of magic weapon?)? I'll trade you for a Gnomish antidote fang for it - why does it glow?, it shines because of the rare holy spell bestowed into it by the Gnomish clergy all the way from Springler Valley - why? Speaking as a gnome myself, we just love to make such oddities."
    Well... Multiple merchants mean multiple sense motive checks, right?
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2014-11-05 at 02:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #160

Beholder

Spoiler: Clauss
    Show
    Despite Clauss' attempt at haggling, all of the merchants are adamant in their prices with the exception of the one selling the "Sparkstick", who agrees to 55 gold pieces. The potions and oils are being sold at 45 gold pieces - whether this is reasonable or not is up to Clauss.

Show
    I rolled some more checks for you - funnily enough merchants and vendors tend to have quite high Diplomacy skills (Diplomacy is really what's being used, I gave a circumstance modifier/penalty depending on the result of the Bluff). Cross off a use of Detect Magic: given that the stores are close to each other it's possible to identify that all of the individual items and at least most of the potions are magical. Whether their magic is as advertised is another thing entirely.

Show
    UristMcRandom, the mules are a little under book price (8gp each) at 7gp each. From a game mechanic point of view, they rolled well on their hit dice so have a higher amount of hitpoints than the average mule.

For everyone else, once Clauss and Jamros have worked out what they're doing you can be assumed to have met back up. It will be late afternoon when you do so, so plan accordingly.

11. - Top - End - #161

Jamros, after looking the mules over, returned to assemble with the party. He would mention the price of the mules, and their status, just in case any of the other party members were interested in pack animals.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #162

Eirien is appreciative, yet sceptical. "Unless Hilda turns out to live forty miles into the wilderness and rides an invisible griffon to work in town, I don't know that we should need a pack mule for this job. It would be nice if we were going on such a trek--or if one of the contacts we're pursuing turns to have a whole room full of goods to loot." She jerks her head in a non-committal manner.

13. - Top - End - #163

Beholder

After realising his coin purse was light enough for his haggling not to matter, Clauss soberly goes on to ask about the actual reason for them being in the market. The vendor of healing salves recognises the name "Hilda" - the two buy from each other on occasion. She hasn't seen Hilda around for a while, but doesn't really look out for her other than in passing. Trade has been good lately, which means she didn't have much stock left to offload.

The group gather together in the market to discuss what they'd found. The sun is still well above the horizon - the early summer days being warm and long - and there's probably a good few hours of decent sunlight left. Trade is generally winding down somewhat - the customers are returning home, which means the merchants have less reason to stick around - and the aroma of cooking food drifts from the numerous taverns just off the market square.

Show
    What's the plan?

14. - Top - End - #164

Beholder

The walk through the town involved dodging a few carts and wagons as merchants began to move their wares, but was otherwise uneventful. The guards at the gate looked bored and tired after a long day of checking papers, and after a cursory glance waved the party through.

The outer rim of buildings were newer than those inside Harlskeep - generally packed a little less closely together, but primarily single-storey, or single-storey with an attic. Housing out here was more spacious, but probably significantly colder in winter. Stone and brick were still plenty evident, but wood was used more and more as a main construction material.

The blacksmith Eirien had been directed to was fairly close to the wall, and just off the main western road. Given the hour much of the industry in the area seemed to have closed down for the day. Indeed, the smithy was shuttered from the front. Smoke could be seen coming out of a chimney, however.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Aside from nearly getting trampled by a speeding wagon on the trek to the forge (and raving on about the luck of Garl that prevented the accident for the fifteen-or-so minutes that followed), Clauss followed the others quietly to their next lead.

Noticing the chimney smoke rising from the smithy struck him off.
    "Somebody inside wants to keep others away." Clauss pointed out the matter as it was. "This does seem to be the place, Eirienne. Nice work!" Clauss smiled up to her, his tongue still unpolished over her not-difficultly-pronounced elven name.
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #166

We canno' tarry any more than we have all, let us lay words upon 'im and hope we have the right kind of source. Sar'tul starts towards the nearest front door, himself inspecting everything about the building he can.

Show
    Current Characters:

17. - Top - End - #167

Eirien neither smiles nor comments, barely acknowledging Clauss. In preference to skulking about, she simply strides forward to knock on the door, then takes several steps back to stand behind the others in hopes of not having to do the talking.
    Last edited by Navian; 2014-11-08 at 02:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

After you knock, there's no immediate reaction. Just about when you're thinking to knock again, you hear the bar being removed, and the door opens. There are no lights inside, but the sun's still high enough to illuminate the entry hall clearly. It looks...kinda drab, actually. There's a bench, a couple cloaks on pegs, an unlit lantern, and two faded tapestries.

At the door stands a lean young human, with curly sandy-blond hair and a well-trimmed beard. He's a handsome guy, for a human. He's wearing a stylish green jerkin with fine embroidery. The green matches his eyes, and the jerkin fits him perfectly. He looks carefully at each of you, taking a moment to fix your features in his mind, then he smiles.

Can I help you folks? I don't believe we've done business before.

What do you need? If it's not something we do here, I'm sure I can direct you to a friend.

His voice is firm and clear. He stops and waits for your reply, looking your spokesman in the eye.

19. - Top - End - #169

Sar'tul looks at the man with a smile, then he starts to twiddle with the lower braid of his beard as he responds. 'ello sir, we are here for business with a miss named Hilda, just wonderin if ya know of her where abouts. Sar'tul then looks the smithy right in the eyes with his own silver ones, inquisitive, yet kind and open.

Show
    Current Characters:

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

Here, for business with Hilda?

He blinks.

But surely she would have told you where to meet her. Yesterday she was in town, so I can't imagine her missing an appointment. And if you don't have an appointment, perhaps it's something I could help with instead? We're in more or less the same line of work.

He offers Sar'tul his hand. Roland Smithson. I run the business side of the smithy, and I dabble in trade on the side.

You hear a small snort from the room behind when Roland says 'dabble'.

21. - Top - End - #171

Eirien attempts to put on her best airy tones of pretentiousness. "The trouble is, thus far it has proven quite difficult to establish such an appointment. I'm afraid our needs are select, Roland Smithson." She's remarkably stiff about it.

Spoiler: GM
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20-1)[10] I so regret neglecting this skill.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

confused Re: Back to Basics (Group 2)

Roland laughs.
    Select needs? For Hilda? Unless what you need is whatever happened to be cheap last month, I find that hard to believe.

And such an assorted collection of people, too.

He focuses on Sar'tul again.

Look. Is this Church business? St. Cuthbert isn't my patron, but I do respect Fr. Quintus.

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    Definitely going to Sense Motive on the answer here. If that works on PCs - I don't quite remember.
    (1d20+6)[14]
    Last edited by Mardoc; 2014-11-10 at 09:42 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Beholder

Spoiler: Roland, OOC
    Show
    It doesn't "work" mechanically, but you can take the result in to account. For example, if you roll particularly low you may be oblivious to some rather obvious social cues, or if you rolled particularly high you could take in to account what the player wrote as part of their post that wasn't explicitly stated (e.g. thoughts of the character, motivations for doing something).

24. - Top - End - #174

Eirien seems to drop the pretense with an exasperated gasp as everyone seems to look to someone else to do the talking. "I'd prefer to keep things simple. We need information from her. 'Talk is cheap', but whatever happened last month, that knowledge is not always for sale."

25. - Top - End - #175

It be Church business lad, we only wish to contact her, so if ye be so kind, please, we seek any help ye can give.
    Sar'tul gives Roland a look of business, and then raises an eyebrow.
    Unless, o' course, you would like to withhold information from our likes.
    Sar'tul's Copper beard gives a twitch for the briefest of moments, before turning into a stern expression, awaiting answers.

Show
    Current Characters:

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

"Now, now, we don't have to get testy. " Clauss speaks up, albeit belatedly. "I'm sure we could talk matters over with master Smithson better in a more amicable fashion. Sir, how about we talk this matter through, and perhaps some business as well, with a drink in our hands? We're buyin'!" Clauss added to help sweeten the deal, and perhaps save the situation from turning a more hostile direction.

My Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #177
    Pixie in the Playground

Roland responds:

Whoa! Of course I'm willing to tell you what I know, since you're with the church.

Will you come in and talk? It seems you'd like to keep the nature of your business quiet.

28. - Top - End - #178

Jamros, long silent at the rear of the group, finally spoke, "It seems to me that that would be a good course of action, given the nature of our business,"
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #179

Sar'tul looks back at the troupe behind him, realizing their lack of subtlty, and when he returns his sight back into Rolands eyes, they bear only friendliness.

Aye, that would be the better for this moment.

Show
    Current Characters:

30. - Top - End - #180
    Pixie in the Playground

Roland opens the door further, and steps back.

Speaking over his shoulder, to the right, he says:
    Dad, it's church business. Could you join us?

Dad's a good friend of Fr. Quintus, he can give us good advice

He leads the way to the left.

The sitting room is just over this way.

As you enter the front hallway, you notice a sheathed rapier hanging from a peg by the door, and a blacksmith's hammer sitting on a little table next to it. A couple steps down the hall, you enter the parlor.

The parlor looks very comfortable. There's a collection of well stuffed armchairs, couches, and little tables sitting around. The fireplace is unlit, but the room is warm enough without it. As Roland enters, he opens the shutters on the upper windows, to let in light and air, and then offers

Would anyone like some ale, while we talk?

After getting your requests, he leaves the room. An older man enters, carrying a tankard emblazoned with a symbol of St. Cuthbert. He's clearly related to Roland. His blond hair is turning grey, but his arms and body show his strength. He's dressed in work clothes.

Be welcome in my house.

He sits down in the comfiest chair, and doesn't say anything else. He's clearly going to let someone else carry the conversation for now.

A minute later, Roland bustles back into the room with undecorated mugs of ale. He distributes them, keeping one for himself, then sits in whichever seat is unoccupied.

Gentlemen, the fact is that I don't know exactly where Hilda is. She roams. I'm sure I can find her, though. I saw her last night in the market, so I know she's in town, and I know the sorts of places she visits for both work and relaxation.

But is it worth my time? Hilda's a friend of mine, and it's hard to believe she's involved with something really wrong. Sometimes the church pays more attention to petty things like smuggling than they really deserve. What's she suspected of?