New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Back to Basics (Group 2)

Eirien was not easily coaxed to sit down or relax. She raised her eyebrow in response to Roland's question, then answered tersely. "She's suspected of knowing something. I'd prefer not to specify what it is, but it concerns Father Quintus enough to be worth something to me, so I think it ought to be worth something to you, as well."

2. - Top - End - #182

If we are to tell you our right business, you are to keep your word that you will not reveal our mission, as it involves the lives of many.
    Sar'tul speaks to both father and son equally, keeping a business like standing, and then waits for what their response is.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry if my posts are low on detail and content, i get plenty of short periods of time to post, but not really any lengthy times to post.

Spoiler: Etc.
    Show
    Current Characters:
    Kraguri/Ikuma, Dusk Caste Seeking Redemption
    Rha' Stag, Hunter of Beasts, Slayer of Fools

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

"Why thank you kindly, don't mind if I do!" Clauss accepts a mug of ale and sits down. He was invited - it would practically impose more to reject hospitality than accept it.
    He eyes the sheer size of the mug, it always surprised him how much bigger people could drink. "You know, Roland, though I couldn't speak for a dwarf or halfling to save my skin, a gnome could suffice with a flagon one-fourth this size. Which is why the big boys like to dub us half-pints." he smiled with unpolished charm at his humorous saying, quite sure of himself and of his words as his good teeth shimmer from the fire - thank Garl heb at least cleaned his teeth since this morning!

Show
    It's been a rough week. Don't wanna talk about it... I can't think of much to add at this time so at least I can RP a little small talk, I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #184
    Pixie in the Playground

Eirien's comment seemed to make an impression on the father, but Roland seemed unimpressed. At least, he didn't bother responding. Fortunately the others spoke up quickly enough to prevent his silence from being too awkward.

Oh, of course, Master Gnome. I didn't want to assume anything and risk neglecting you, that's all.

When Sar'tul makes his request, Roland nods.
    Yes, I'll keep your words in confidence.

His father also nods, but confines himself to a grunt.

5. - Top - End - #185

Recently, there have been several kidnappings. This occurence has been linked to a cult of a more low hearted god, and Hilda has been linked by a trusted source of Father Quintus', we wish to ask her, in the hopes of saving lives. Such a deed must be carried out soon, or else By Cuthberts Blood Soaked Boot, we might be finding corpses decrepit.

Sar'tul bears a grim expression, and then stands perfectly still as he awaits the father or the son to speak.

Show
    Hope i did not mess up too badly.

Show
    Current Characters:

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

Kidnappings! And a cult. That...that can't be, this is civilized territory. You're having me on!

Roland's father shakes his head.

Son, you've got a lot to learn about the world. Only reason you haven't heard of these things around here is that Fr. Quintus jumps on them hard before they get too serious...usually.

You've had your fun, and your innocent childhood, but it's time to grow up! Stop spending all your skills on that happy-go-lucky travelling. You can handle yourself; it's time to give back. Help these folks.

Roland gulps.
    Yes, ok.
    He looks back at Sar'tul
    Did...did you want to go find Hilda tonight? It'll take me a few minutes to get ready.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jamros spoke up again, "That seems to be the best plan to me," he turned to Sar'tul, "unless our fearless leader has any other ideas."
    Quote Originally Posted by OctoberRaven View Post
    "It's a fireball. It's basically a magic hand grenade."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #188

Eirien speaks very quietly, mostly because her commentary doesn't seem important. "It can wait until tomorrow, if she'll still be here. I'd like to get this over with as soon as possible, but if it's better not to rush, we can rest and prepare."

9. - Top - End - #189

Sar'tul's features change, as his features contort into some kind of forced composure as he looks back at Jamros. He mutters something darkly, then turns back to the two hosts.

We would be happy to borrow your son on our mission, we just need name and his help in all this, which i would hope is not just words.

Show
    Current Characters:

10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground

Roland stops talking for a moment to think.

We probably do need to go now, actually. A merchant who's not moving is a merchant going broke, and Hilda's been here a full day already. She's probably spending the night in town, but if I were her, I'd be on the road tomorrow morning.

I'll just go get ready

When he returns, Roland is dressed in stylish traveler's clothes - a dark green cloak over well polished leather armor. He wears a matching green cloth hat at a jaunty angle, and a rapier at his belt.

His father gives him a nod, and says 'you'll do fine.'

Let's go check the inns.

Show
    I'm not quite sure what you meant by "we just need name and his help in all this", Twentyfold.

11. - Top - End - #191

Show
    Your name, and what you will contribute, aka record all that stuff since you are joining us. Sorry if it is worded a little weird, just on the spout.
    Last edited by TwentyFold; 2014-11-17 at 12:00 PM.

Show
    Current Characters:

12. - Top - End - #192

Eirien led the way, partially due to impatience, partially because it meant she wouldn't either be surrounded by the party or trailing behind them. She kept a close watch on the darkening surroundings and lengthening shadows, as the sun was setting, and took them to the nearest place on the itinerary.

13. - Top - End - #193

Beholder

A quick skim of The Jovial Jester turns up nothing except some rather cringeworthy comedy being performed on stage. The Honest Haggler seemed like a likely spot, given the clientele there was better dressed and had a few obvious merchants in their number, but though the innkeep knows Hilda he says she is not staying there tonight.

Next up was The Iron Flagon, just as the sun sets. Before you turn the corner to even see the establishment there's obviously some sort of commotion - loud shouts from what must be a goodly number of people, generally sounding angry, reach your ears. One of the patrons exits rather hastily as he is defenestrated - though fortunately the windows are only shuttered, not glassed.

Show
    Did I concoct this whole scenario just to use the word "defenestrated"? Maybe. Is it plot relevant or just for flavour? Who knows?
    Last edited by Amanil; 2014-12-08 at 12:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194

Eirien was definitely on edge, but she was definitely on the 'run away' side of that edge, observing the commotion."Hm. I doubt this has much to do with Hilda, or that she would want much to do with it. Perhaps we should keep moving."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground

Roland responds:

You said there was a cult involved too. Maybe it's their doing!

He loosens his rapier in his scabbard, but doesn't draw. He's clearly excited by the action.

16. - Top - End - #196

Jamros paused and closed his eyes as if deeply focused on something, then raised his hand and cupped his ear.

Spoiler: DM (OOC)
    Show
    Listen check for any clues about what's going on inside. Are you rolling this or should I?
    Last edited by UristMcRandom; 2014-11-18 at 12:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

Sar'tul looks exhaustadly at the drawing of the rapier.

Seems that ye be ready to moreover start the fight than see if it is one. Lets keep a little bit of a low profile till we can figure out what is goin on.

Show
    Current Characters:

18. - Top - End - #198

Beholder

Spoiler: Jamros
    Show
    Listening a little closer, you think you can make out a couple cries that sounds more like screams as well as the shouts.

Show
    You can announce your intent to listen, I'll roll the results. Please note that if you roll especially low on an "active" listen I may add some false information. Don't assume this result is false, but don't assume it isn't either.

Spoiler: Sar'tul, OOC
    Show
    Note that Roland hasn't drawn his rapier, just made sure it's easily available.
    Last edited by Amanil; 2014-11-18 at 05:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199

Spoiler: OOC, DM
    Show
    Still...don't want to be prepared to cause trouble as much as to stop it (or prevent it)

Show
    Current Characters:

20. - Top - End - #200
    Pixie in the Playground

Roland blushes. And then deliberately flexes his hands and leaves them by his side.

Yes, of course. Let's go see, then!

He bounces on the balls of his feet, but waits for the rest of the party to start moving.

21. - Top - End - #201

Eirien doesn't go first. She's not being paid to go first. That being said, she will pay very careful attention from behind whoever does go first, and if no one else wants to go first, she'll give Roland a nudge in the right direction.

She doesn't mind being the first to peer cautiously around the corner, though.

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    Spot check on the fight, listen check on the voices, sense motive check to get a hunch about why this is happening, maybe... That ought to be more than enough for now.

22. - Top - End - #202

Jamros, still near the back of the group, spoke up in a hushed voice, "It sounds almost like someone's screaming in there. I would advise caution if we were to enter."
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Feeling the slight tension in the air, Clauss lets out a laugh."you call that a low profile? If anything, you'll be even more noticeable with those looks on your faces!"
    Clauss steps forward, not for one minute expecting the worst that could happen.
    "I hope to see you fellows inside before the stars come up." he says before walking first through the door.
    Spoiler: OOC, DM
    Show
    Remember what I wrote on my sheet about Clauss and fortune? Here's hoping that comes into play. #FamousLastWords
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #204
    Pixie in the Playground

Roland follows Clauss, just a couple paces behind.

25. - Top - End - #205

Jamros remains still and on alert for a few seconds more, then he sighs and mutters what is presumably a curse in Elven. He straps his spear to his back again and enters the tavern, though his hand lingers near his club in case of trouble.

Spoiler: DM (OOC)
    Show
    Spot check, plus another Listen check.
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #206

Does know when to get things along don't he?

Muttering to himself he proceeds, throwing caution to the possibly non-existent wind.

Show
    Current Characters:

27. - Top - End - #207

Beholder

Clauss is greeted by a bottle smashing against the doorframe to his side. The scene is one of a barfight well out of control. The room has probably thirty brawlers. Hunkered down behind the bar an occasional scream of distress can be heard, and a scared face of one of a number of serving wenches peeks up. Crouched next to them, club in hand, a half-orc growls at anyone who gets too close, obviously ready to strike.

For the most part the fight is with fists and feet only, though a fair have taken to using broken bottles or chair legs as improvised weapons. The odd glint of steel hints that some may be using something more lethal. There seem to be equal numbers humans and elves in the mix, but given the chaos of the encounter you won't be able to differentiate unless you look for it. On occasion, one is armoured in light armour, but again - given the fluidity - you may not be able to tell unless you're close.

Show
    Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Let's see how this goes. Initiatives were determined by the order I deemed you to be going in. I'll allow very short conversations outside of your initiative order (e.g. warnings, suggestions), but keep it in check.

If an action warrants a response from me that doesn't affect the next person's action, feel free to post without waiting for me. If you think it might need a response, you're welcome to wait. I'm pretty good at keeping up with combat (and will update the map regularly), so make sure to check the map (on the correct turn) when working out what you're doing.

Map

Initiative order:
    1. Clauss
    2. Roland
    3. Jamros
    4. Sar'tul
    5. Eirien
    6. Brawlers
    7. Other
    Last edited by Amanil; 2014-11-23 at 03:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

To say that the broken bottle shocked Clauss quite a bit would be an understatement. Why would somebody do that? It could have ki— Why are all these people fighting? There are so many of them - gotta keep my eyes peeled, but which way to face?! The sudden rush overcame Clauss for a few, precious moments.
    Show
    I never liked going first Clauss subconsciously delays his action for later this round.
    Spoiler: DM
    Show
    and might I add, I really like the map - almost makes up for the wait.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2014-11-23 at 05:19 AM.

My Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #209

Beholder

Spoiler: OOC, Clauss
    Show
    Take 50 electric damage from a lightning bolt. Never mind how that physically works.

Also, as you're delaying, feel free to interject whenever. Make sure to keep an eye on the thread, as I won't wait for you between posts (unless it gets to your go again next turn).

30. - Top - End - #210
    Pixie in the Playground

Roland looks around quickly, to see if he recognizes any of the brawlers. He'd love to get a clue as to what the sides are or if it's a free for all.

He reaches for his rapier, pauses, and then grabs his sap instead. There is no way that he wants to join the minority and spill blood just yet.

Then, he opens his mouth and begins to sing a satirical song about a young boy pretending to be a hero, slaying imaginary foes and real insects. Despite the subject matter, the song manages to boost the party's spirits.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Bardic inspire courage effect +1 to attacks, damage, and saves against fear