New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVI: Morality is Relative; Professional Standards Aren't!

[Main Base - Dena's Room]

Astrana smiles. "Who do you take me for? Of course I have one." She fishes a straw doll out of the satchel which have a long white feather bond to it. "You can reimburse it for a discount, I work here after all." She steps into the room and all of sudden the feather turns black and it and the straw doll catches fire so fast that the tiefling tosses it away out of shock. It lands on the floor where it burns out so quickly that the fire has died out only a moment later. Just leaving a couple of burned straws and the outlines of the feather which have left a clear scorch mark on the floor.

Astrana simply stares at with her mouth agape for a moment. "...big bad voodoo. If it's a curse, it's one made by a god. I've only read about cases like this. None of them have ended well."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2015-09-06 at 04:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig utters a litany of curses in his native language. Goblin languages tend to have very colourful swearwords that sound like the speaker is choking on gravel.

"That's just fantastic. I have to say, of all the misfortunes that have befallen this group, a divine curse has never actually happened before. What's going to happen to her, and how long will it take? Can we do anything to stop it?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

[Inside Office]

A young woman approaches the office. She wears fairly normal clothes, a dark blue wind-breaker over a red t-shirt, jeans, and a slightly worn pair of running shoes. Her hair is dark brown, and her skin is tanned, but by far her most striking feature is her eyes, which are utterly inhuman, painting a stark contrast with the rest of her. Her sclera are red, and almost seem scaly, which her iris is practically non-existent, a very slim yellow outline along slitted and slightly diamond-shaped pupils. They seem to glow slightly in the shadows, if there are any in the office as she approaches the desk and says, "Hey. You guys in the business of giving out jobs?" to whoever is sitting behind it.

4. - Top - End - #694

"I have no idea what's going to happen to her but if it's any consolation, if it wanted her dead, she would be dead right now. Gods are usually more creative with their curses than simple death." Astrana explains as her tail flicks back and forth in agitation. She didn't like being powerless like this. "I don't think we can do anything until we know more though, I'm pretty sure this is just the start though." She gestures at Dena again.

5. - Top - End - #695

[Riverside Office]

The tiefling at the desk smiles at the woman. "Depends on your skills and our current contracts ma'm. But I will do my best to find something for you." She's dressed in a business suit with a black skirt contrasting with her dark red skin. "Name and occupation? Are you interested in becoming a member or simply buy a license?"

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

[Riverside Office]

The woman smile back and says, "I'm Anya Cole, and I am...Well, I suppose a Mercenary would be the right word, wouldn't it. I do jobs that other people don't want to do for money, and since I've ended up here, I figure I might as well sign on with the local organization. I do want to be a full member, by the way. And as for what I can do...Well, short version is that I throw magic at people for a discount compared to most mages. Well, I say discount."

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

"There are things that are worse than death," Dipsnig says sourly. "Or make death unnecessarily complicated and painful. The kind of people to put a curse on a place are really creative when it comes to that." He mutters another few curses in Dragonbone Goblin. "Anyway. Let's assume we're operating on a tight timetable. Is there any way to know more about what's affecting her?"
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-09-07 at 07:35 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #698

Astrana nods. "That's true, curses do tend to work faster than this if they have a specific intention." She observes before pointing at Dena's blood-colored eyes. "The curse seem to be affecting her eyes in particular so perhaps she saw something she wasn't supposed to see? I could try to find out exactly what happened but it will most of the day. It would be easier if we knew more about this dungeon she's been at."

[Riverside Office]

"A fellow spellcaster then." The tiefling notes. "What sort of magic do you dabble in exactly miss Cole?"

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

[Riverside Office]

Anya nods and files that information away for later as she says, "Well...Mostly I do tarot magic. Easy and cheap, with a good bit of kick, you know? But if things get hairy, there's not a lot of problems that can't be solved with a good evocation of one element or another. Besides that, not much. Utility spells are too dangerous for me to use."

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I could send someone at those coordinates, but then there's a risk they'll return carrying the same curse," Dipsnig says. He tries to check for anything Dena might have told him or someone else about the island in his meticulously kept database. "Let's see if we can at least find out who built it and why..."

11. - Top - End - #701

Dena didn't record much in the database, simply rumors about a snake cult and treasures located on this "island of death" where visitors tended to disappear. But there are hundreds, if not thousands "islands of death" in seaside, so that's not saying much.
    "Maybe, but this isn't an ordinary curse, these are rare and and unique in nature. Storybook stuff you have to get and break in a particular way. So they aren't just made at a whim, this is calculated malice that's made to last forever. Far longer than a single lifetime. Which is why, ironically, they often make the afflicted immortal to a degree so they can suffer longer. What I'm saying is that you can't just trip over a curse like this. She must have done something that pissed someone or something off really badly." Astrana explains.

[Riverside Office]

"Tarot, as in card magic? I thought that was used for predicting the future, not evecation?" The tiefling asks. "I'm assuming there is a degree of chance in this?" Cards always carried a degree of chance.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2015-09-07 at 09:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

[Riverside Office]

Anya nods and says, "The tarot and my evocations are two different styles all together. And I'm surprised you don't know how Tarot works, being a mage yourself, but I'll explain." She pulls out a Rider-Waite deck from a pocket and says, "This is my deck. With it, I can, of course, tell the future. However, it's also a magical battery, which expends charges on cards that I draw and use to create an effect. And I can will whichever I wish to the top. For example, the Magician," she draws the card, just after saying it's name and without looking at the deck, "Is good for fighting, as it is skill, intellect, and power, whereas the Lovers," the second card is drawn, "Is better for healing, with its meaning of kindness and mercy."

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

"In that case, we can at least have someone do some research without worrying they'll end up like her," Dipsnig says. "The only info Dena gave about the place is that it's an island with a snake cult on it, where people disappear without a trace. But that's really not saying much. Snake temples that swallow visitors like a hungry cave-grub are dime a dozen."

14. - Top - End - #704

"Truly? Doesn't sound too common. But I'm relative new in this world so I wouldn't know." Astrana remarks. "But if you just give me to the end of the day I promise you that I will have found out what's going on."

[Riverside Office]

"So it's magical symbolism then. Magic drawn out of concepts." She observes. "Do you decide exactly what the cards do or do they just follow a general theme? I should mention that I'm no mage. I'm a warlock, I wasn't born with any magical powers."

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

[Riverside Office]

Anya frowns and says, somewhat flatly, "Yes. And they each do specific things that can be memorized." She's beginning to sound rather upset now.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, trust me. Lethal temples grow around here like mushrooms." His ears twitch. "I'd rather not send people on a risky investigation with uncertain results. Try to find out what happened and we'll keep the temple for later in case it's needed."

17. - Top - End - #707

[Riverside Office]

"Okay, well I think we could have use for you." The tiefling says, ignoring the hostility. "You will have to prove your usefulness to one of our chiefs before I can approve this though. It isn't specified how though, but I'm sure you can think of a way with your cards."

"Okay, I'll get back to you then. I just hope you got these walls sound isolated since the rituals can get a bit loud." Astrana warns him with a smile.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

[Riverside Office]

Anya nods and says, "Alright. Well...I guess you'll keep in touch, then?"

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig bites back a quip about his two lieutenants getting loud regularly. Not really an appropriate time for it.

"The rooms are designed with privacy in mind, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem."

With that, he goes to find Kirk. He's not going to like this...
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-09-07 at 03:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

[Main Base - Workout Area]

Kirk has been back on base for a little while now, though he was unaware Dena had came back some time before. In the meantime he's been doing his daily workout, and when Dipsnig finds him he is wearing little more than a pair of shorts as he bench presses a decently heavy weight.

When he notices Dipsnig come in, Kirk puts the weights up and grabs a towel. "Something wrong, boss?" Kirk is as quick at reading people as ever, and things don't look great. He wipes away his sweat while he waits for Dipsnig to reply; he doesn't look too concerned just yet.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

"Very wrong, Kirk," Dipsnig says gravely. "Dena caught something bad on her latest expedition. She's bed-bound and barely coherent. I had her examined by CB and Astrana... it seems it's a powerful curse of some sort. Astrana is going to work on narrowing down just what it is and what we can do about it."

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

"What?" Kirk stands immediately. "Where is she?" Wait, he said in bed. Kirk wheels toward the door and takes off at a very brisk pace. Dipsnig might be able to catch him, but Kirk is pretty keen on reaching Dena's room.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

[Main Base - Workout Area ==> Dena's Room]

Dipsnig has to walk quickly and occasionally sprint to keep up with Kirk on his short goblin legs.

"Astrana has probably already begun her rituals," he says. "I wouldn't disturb her, since she's trying to determine what happened to Dena and how to fix it."

24. - Top - End - #714

There aren't any sounds coming from Dena's room right now. Astrana might be preparing something.

[Riverside Office]

"I can have our chief on the phone in less than a minute if you want to arrange a meeting. All you need to do is show him what you could contribute with in MERC. Easy as that." The tiefling claims.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

[Main Base - Workout Area ==> Dena's Room]

"If she's so easily disrupted, fire her." Kirk dismisses Dipsnig's concerns and heads right for the room. He swings the door open without a second of hesitation and his eyes go right to Dena's bed. He takes an instant to look at Astrana an otherwise around the room, but his attention is mostly on Dena.

26. - Top - End - #716

[Dena's Room]

Astrana looks up as Kirk enters, she's standing near Dena's bed with a mug that she seem to have been crushing some herbs in with a mortar pestle. She recognized Kirk though, and that look in his eyes. "Should I leave? I'm trying to help her here." She says.

Dena looks like she's sleeping but as Kirk opens the door her eyes open slightly but she still says nothing. Even with her eyes half-open Kirk should be able to tell they're nearly completely blood-red.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

[Dena's Room]

Dipsnig enters the room after Kirk, his expression distinctly sour.

"Right. Now you've seen her, so you know it's serious. Let's allow Astrana to do her job, hm?"

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

[Dena's Room]

Kirk looks at Dena a while longer, his face stoney except for his eyes. There's a cold fury there. Without comment he steps out of the room. With his back still to Dipsnig, he asks, "Where was she? What do we know so far?" He knew Dena had been gone, but he hadn't paid it much mind.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

[Dena's Room]

"A temple of some... snake cult on an island somewhere," Dipsnig says after they're gone. "Astrana thinks she must have tripped over something serious, since this calibre of curse isn't unleashed on just about any trespasser."

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

[Riverside Office]

Anya nods and says, "That sounds fine. I'll just wait here, shall I?"