New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Quick Question: Can you use prestidigitation to hide your race?

Can you use prestidigitation to hide your race? Meaning, from the common non magical folk can you be a drow but appear as a surface elf? It wouldn't be anything but a skin and hair color change.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Quick Question: Can you use prestidigitation to hide your race?

It would infringe on Disguise Self and Alter Self, so likely not.
    However, one conceivable use for it would be to abuse the "obviously fake" aspect of items it creates. Create a pair of fake elf ears and, as an elf, put them on. People will think you're someone poorly disguised as an elf.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by satcharna View Post
    It would infringe on Disguise Self and Alter Self, so likely not.
    However, one conceivable use for it would be to abuse the "obviously fake" aspect of items it creates. Create a pair of fake elf ears and, as an elf, put them on. People will think you're someone poorly disguised as an elf.
    I guess that's true, but I still wonder, because it would just be changing color. I have seen people use it to turn green, or turn a bad guy pink, so I would think changing to a normal elf colored skin tone wouldn't be hard.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It is only supposed to be able to alter object color, not creature. You could technically target the dead skin cells on the surface and color them, but it would be very hard to make it an actual disguise that way because it would be rubbing off with every passing second. Also note that it only covers a foot at a time so you need the surface area of your drow and spend the appropriate rounds to color him pink while all previous applications continually fade. And once you're done, it has less than an hour before reverting back.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ruethgar View Post
    It is only supposed to be able to alter object color, not creature. You could technically target the dead skin cells on the surface and color them, but it would be very hard to make it an actual disguise that way because it would be rubbing off with every passing second. Also note that it only covers a foot at a time so you need the surface area of your drow and spend the appropriate rounds to color him pink while all previous applications continually fade. And once you're done, it has less than an hour before reverting back.
    How about as a sorcerer who gets it as a cantrip just to color the dead skin cells on my head? Gloves and other clothing can take care of the rest.

Not trying to be stubborn, I honestly want to know for a character I am building with more RP flavor than combat effectivness.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Have you considered face paint?

Seems that would be a lot simpler. Cosmetics do exist.
    -Dyllan