New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Home 19 - Please Contact Your Friendly Neighborhood Realtor

Harpy Apartment

Jace looks pensive, looking off into the distance.
    "I could probably call in a favor, get a small spirit bound for something like that. Would probably be pretty cheap if they'd take the job to pay off...yeah, that'd be doable.
    Still though, if you wanted the whole building you must be planning on either all your siblings having a whole lot of kids, or doing a lot of renting for a few generations."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Druid Residence

"Unless one of you wish to let me bite you, there really isn't much."
    Leap admits. "All reflexive. Once the fangs sink in a certain amount, the glands pump. Not before then." She explains as she gives Jamie a grateful smile. "Thank you, Jamie." She adds, reaching out to give a thankful squeeze. "Thank you both so much for this."

Harpy Apartment

"You don't need to do this right now, Jace. It's still a long time in the future before I can even attempt to get this floor, let alone this building."
    Veronica explains. "And both I suppose. It isn't too uncommon for Harpies to get harems or to lay large clutches. Even if I do neither, I should plan for it just in case."

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

[Druid Residence]

Quinn turned away to grab a tray of fresh-baked rolls, missing Jamie's sudden blush. "Well, still, we'll figure something out. And you're quite welcome, it's the least we can do." Quinn smiled as she turned back, settling into her seat. "In the mean time, eat all you like, there's more where this came from if it comes to that."[/color]

Jamie settled into her seat with a giggle, digging in to the freshly roasted bird.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Harpy Apartment

Jace blinks.
    "Oh? Sorry, just a habit of mine.
    And oh, my that's an odd thought to be associating with kids their age. But anyway, uh, yeah, it's a good goal. Even though from my experience, kids don't always react well to being cooped up exclusively with their own family their whole lives. This one building would be quite a lot of harpies."
    he says, with a completely straight face.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Palace of Orochi]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Orochi laughs out loud

Life of the Gloom, Dark of the Shade, Doom of the Living... oh, Sunder.

He looks pointedly at his daughter

The worlds are fated to come together: love and friendship know nothing of boundaries... I approve and endorse your efforts, for I myself seek them. The shining mother of rice and foxes did not take my courtship lightly: the first of the great ones to face me in my own place was Inari. Susa-no-o killed an avatar on the mortal planes... Inari came here, to this hall, and stood where you stand now... had she chosen to extinguish me, then never would we have met.

eight heads bow

... but she welcomed me as a son-in-law. How am I to fight against that, Sunder? She did not judge me for my crimes - that honestly I paid for with death. She did not judge me for my mother, the first and greatest of all Lichdom... she...

eight heads look to a potted plant in an alcove, some dark shadowy grass or other and he drops the entire line of thought and turns back to the nightmare

I am on your side, Sunder. This fortress and this city are open to you as if you were my grand-daughter. I may yet need to battle again because of this decision, and I say that I welcome it: my kingdom welcomes the change you bring. Rest here, stage here, supply here - I declare myself to be your friend and supporter, for the sake of my children... and for my own sake.

He smirks at Dark Dreams

Though some variation of form is still desirable.
    The first and greatest of liches?

Huh.

That's probably one of those weird Nexus things. All cosmologies are true. The first from whatever home universe Inari and her kin hail from. Sunder makes mental note of the list of titles, she smiles at the power of friendship and love to turn enemies into allies, and she bows politely at the dragon king's offer.

"You do me great honor by welcoming me here, oh King Orochi, Life of the Gloom. You welcome me not only as a friend and ally, but as if I were one of your own kin. Please understand that I don't esteem this kindness lightly," Sunder replies, slipping back into her more refined style of speaking. The cadence and accent of Sweet Spring.

So much like her mother.

"It is my true hope that more can be learned of the state of wuji that both myself and my little ponies exist in. A way to make it more... freely available would be wonderful. Some people find the idea of adopting hooves unsettling," she says with a smirk. "I know of one who is working toward that goal, a thaumaturgist named Elestra Evercraft, the present holder of the Mantle of Necromancy won in fair and open combat from its previous holder, Destro Yursul," Sunder explains. "I'm uncertain of her present progress, it has been some time since she called upon me."

"And to the subject of battle..."
    Sunder says, a frown crossing her face. Not just a frown of mild irritation, no. A frown of carefully restrained fury. "Orcus, who calls himself the Father of Undeath, has all but declared war upon myself and my little ponies. While he has yet to move against me openly, he has posted a bounty upon the heads of my children within the Nexus. A bounty which some misguided souls have already moved to collect on."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Y'know, it's kinda funny how getting enslaved turned out to be the best thing to happen to me.
    In the mutual embrace, the somewhat scantily clad tiefling snuggling up to Ashara muses with somewhat sleepiness.
    Ashara raises an eyebrow at Makaria, frowning slightly as she tilts her head to the side. "I see. And why do you say that, hm? It seems an odd sentiment, that you prefer slavery to anything else," she replies, voice cooler than might be expected, given the circumstances,

7. - Top - End - #337
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Ashara raises an eyebrow at Makaria, frowning slightly as she tilts her head to the side. "I see. And why do you say that, hm? It seems an odd sentiment, that you prefer slavery to anything else," she replies, voice cooler than might be expected, given the circumstances,
    well, if i wasnt a slave, i probably wouldnt have met you, darling.
    makaria responds.
    ((suffering from phonepostitus))
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

8. - Top - End - #338
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeptimusFabrius View Post
    Ok, right, crowbar. Or failing that, lockpick. Give me a moment. Cornelius hurries back into the house and returns with the aforementioned tools. Do you think these will work, Harvey?
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    GAFH

"Well, I think this is a terrible idea, but of course no one's asking me." snorts Lee from the sidelines. Just let the folks with opposable thumbs take care of things...
    [GAFH]

To get a proper look at the hatch, Harvey stands back a little way, wiping the beads of sweat from his brow as he does. Shovelling was hard work - doubly so when you're being exposed to furnace-hot air.

'I don't see lockpicks being very useful, but a crowbar in the right place might do the trick,' he supposes.

Maybe trying to dislodge that central bit is a good plan of attack. Or a terrible one, if you're Lee. The boy-turned-beast is given a glance.

'Perhaps we are getting a little carried away,' he admits. 'I don't think we can just leave this thing as it is, though. It's pretty close to the house... what if a fire starts? Or it affects the foundations? We need to know what it is.'
    Active Nexus Characters: Urias Starsailor

9. - Top - End - #339
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    The first and greatest of liches?

Huh.

That's probably one of those weird Nexus things. All cosmologies are true. The first from whatever home universe Inari and her kin hail from. Sunder makes mental note of the list of titles, she smiles at the power of friendship and love to turn enemies into allies, and she bows politely at the dragon king's offer.

"You do me great honor by welcoming me here, oh King Orochi, Life of the Gloom. You welcome me not only as a friend and ally, but as if I were one of your own kin. Please understand that I don't esteem this kindness lightly," Sunder replies, slipping back into her more refined style of speaking. The cadence and accent of Sweet Spring.

So much like her mother.

"It is my true hope that more can be learned of the state of wuji that both myself and my little ponies exist in. A way to make it more... freely available would be wonderful. Some people find the idea of adopting hooves unsettling," she says with a smirk. "I know of one who is working toward that goal, a thaumaturgist named Elestra Evercraft, the present holder of the Mantle of Necromancy won in fair and open combat from its previous holder, Destro Yursul," Sunder explains. "I'm uncertain of her present progress, it has been some time since she called upon me."

"And to the subject of battle..."
    Sunder says, a frown crossing her face. Not just a frown of mild irritation, no. A frown of carefully restrained fury. "Orcus, who calls himself the Father of Undeath, has all but declared war upon myself and my little ponies. While he has yet to move against me openly, he has posted a bounty upon the heads of my children within the Nexus. A bounty which some misguided souls have already moved to collect on."
    Orochi shakes his head

Her name is not familiar... Destro I had heard of by rumor, though.

Then the dragon grunts

Orcus... that one is an unpleasant piece of work, to be sure: it does not surprise me he would do something like that. Even if I hadn't already decided to welcome you, I'd help you just to spite him.

10. - Top - End - #340

[The Palace of Orochi]

Sunder inclines her head to the huge dragon. "My enemies are yours, and yours mine. For your kindness, feel free to call upon myself and my little ponies if you ever have need of our aid. We are happy to help true friends."

Well!

That's a nice attitude, isn't it?

"We have notice a disturbing upturn in the undead activity around the Nexus. Undead attacks, plagues in the more destitute regions of Inside, gloomlands arising where there were previously none. A few days ago we added a former officer of Orcus' to our number. He had been sent to the world of the living to fetch an artifact called The Crucible. Ardent Heart's former master never told him what the device was for, but I can't imagine it is anything wholesome. Are you, perhaps, familiar with it?"

Knowing what the thing does sure would be helpful.

Then they might be able to figure out what Orcus' scheme is and thwart it!

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Harpy Apartment

"It's likely they'll want to spread out after a while, true, but Harpies tend to be a more close-knit bunch than other races. Lots of brooding and nesting together. Family is supposed to be a really tight bond."
    Veronica points out. "If we were back where my mother came from, we'd likely be in a large place with several other families. There's also my older siblings I'm considering. I keep in touch with them and some aren't doing too well on their own. This would be something of a sanctuary for them, you know?" She asks with a small smile. "After all else is said and done, it'll be a place they can always return to."

Druid Residence

"Thank you, Quinn."
    Leap says once more before taking a bite of a roll. "And the buns are rather nice." She adds before swallowing. "This really is a nice place you two have. If you don't mind, I'd like to see more of it after dinner. It's a far cry from the houses in the village I come from. They tend to be low and wide with underground tunnels. I suppose you could go as far as saying it's just one large underground complex with small houses on top. Kind of like mushrooms."

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Druid Residence

"Well, I'm glad you like it," Quinn says, smiling, as Jamie blushes a little. "I'm sure Jamie could show you around. I just wanted a place that was...well, the best home we could have. With room for expansion if and when the family grows," she adds. "Although your home sounds interesting, too. I'd love to see a place like that, it sounds fascinating."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Harpy Apartment

Jace smiles and goes over to his stack of clothes, starting to dress again now that he's dry if Veronica lets him.
    "I suppose so. I'm not sure I could even imagine having such a huge family. I had one brother, and that's all. But still, like I said, it's a very noble goal, Veronica. You've been saving for ages for it, haven't you? You have more dedication than most." he says to her.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Harpy Apartment

"I have. Ever since I started my job. It's made some things rough, like a lack of an actual bed for me or the boys sharing a room, but if I got a different place it'd set the plan behind by another three years unless I got a really good deal or a better paying job. I've thought about adventuring as that could pay for it all rather quickly, but what skills do I have for that? None really. And if I got hurt or worse, my siblings would be without and I wouldn't do that to them." Veronica explains with a sigh even as she watches Jace get dressed. Once he's finished, she gives him a small pleased smile, seemingly quite proud of herself.

Druid Residence

Leap squirms a bit on her stool, trying to get a bit more comfortable. Most furniture isn't made with Driders in mind after all. "It's...different. Low ceilings, lots of webbing, but it's comfortable and everyone is open and friendly. At least to villagers and those they bring in. We tend to be a bit clannish though. Large groups of strangers would probably get a bit of a cold shoulder until their intentions are proven, but if you two wish to visit, I could show you the place when I leave. I'm certain you'll be more than welcome if I speak for you two. Do watch out for the pranks though."

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

[Druid Residence]

"Well, I can understand that," Jamie says with a nod, even as she blushes. Imagining the sort of 'pranks' Driders might get up to. "You have to show that you're trustworthy, and not out to cause problems, before you're accepted."

Quinn nods, tossing back her hair before refilling the glasses of tea. "Maybe we could make time sometime to do that. Toby might be interested as well, although he's often busy in the lab or back in Vulpania. I should probably take him a dinner plate when we're done," she adds, glancing at the clock. [color=green]"Seeing as he got wrapped up solving problems with METIS again."

Chuckling slightly, she settles back in her seat, her own cheeks a little flushed.

There's been plenty of fun times she'd had in the lab with Toby when taking him dinner, after all...

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Harpy Apartment

"Well, if I ever hit the jackpot on one of mine, I'll make a donation to the Harpy Building-Monopoly fund. How does that sound?" he says with a grin.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baeleck View Post
    [GAFH]

To get a proper look at the hatch, Harvey stands back a little way, wiping the beads of sweat from his brow as he does. Shovelling was hard work - doubly so when you're being exposed to furnace-hot air.

'I don't see lockpicks being very useful, but a crowbar in the right place might do the trick,' he supposes.

Maybe trying to dislodge that central bit is a good plan of attack. Or a terrible one, if you're Lee. The boy-turned-beast is given a glance.

'Perhaps we are getting a little carried away,' he admits. 'I don't think we can just leave this thing as it is, though. It's pretty close to the house... what if a fire starts? Or it affects the foundations? We need to know what it is.'
    I admit to not having seen anything like it before, says Cornelius. He ponders a little. Perhaps we have some books of mythology in the house that mention something like this? I hardly think we can be scientific about it considering the situation we're in now. It sounds like the sort of thing Gwen might know about.
    Knitting my way through life, one purl of wisdom at a time.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

[Maeve's Cottage]
    It used to be different. Khair spent all her time coughing then, in that big drafty wreck of a mansion. It was honestly pretty awful, but they had each other.

Now they have rather less living space, but it makes up for it by not being patently crap. The cottage is very cozy, and has only helped the already-significant recovery Khair has been making. Not that she's going to be running any races, but she's not sick all the time.

Currently, she's curled up in a chair by the fire, half-dozing.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

[Maeve's Cottage]

Maeve was a little sad about giving up the mansion, really... But not sad enough to keep Khair living there. Especially not since, really, this was a much better size for them. But still, it had been her last tie to her family. Though that didn't keep her from enjoying where she was, not with the marked improvement in her her lover's health, and the fact that it actually was a very nice place.

She's currently in the kitchen making a pot of tea for them both; the whistling of the kettle might wake Khair a little, though if it doesn't, she'll be out soon enough, carrying a pair of teacups and the kettle on a wooden tray carved with flowers.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    [Maeve's Cottage]

Maeve was a little sad about giving up the mansion, really... But not sad enough to keep Khair living there. Especially not since, really, this was a much better size for them. But still, it had been her last tie to her family. Though that didn't keep her from enjoying where she was, not with the marked improvement in her her lover's health, and the fact that it actually was a very nice place.

She's currently in the kitchen making a pot of tea for them both; the whistling of the kettle might wake Khair a little, though if it doesn't, she'll be out soon enough, carrying a pair of teacups and the kettle on a wooden tray carved with flowers.
    Khair sits up with a yawn, smiling at her girlfriend. She hadn't wanted to ask Mave to give up her ancestral home, but... well, it kind of had to happen. Stretching, she leans up to nuzzle Maeve with a smile.
    What've you been up to while I was out? Having a girlfriend is a novel experience for one who didn't really consider the whole "Being attracted to people" bit until a year or two ago, but she's pretty sure she's got the hang of it.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Khair sits up with a yawn, smiling at her girlfriend. She hadn't wanted to ask Mave to give up her ancestral home, but... well, it kind of had to happen. Stretching, she leans up to nuzzle Maeve with a smile.
    What've you been up to while I was out? Having a girlfriend is a novel experience for one who didn't really consider the whole "Being attracted to people" bit until a year or two ago, but she's pretty sure she's got the hang of it.
    Maeve smiles down at her girlfriend, brushing her fingers lightly over the catgirl's ears as she sets the tea down on one of the little tables between the chairs at the fire. "Not too much, ran out to the store to pick up a few things... And, well, teamaking, too. But that's about all, I was waiting to do anything else to see if you would wake up soon, and if you'd want to do anything."

Khair might, as Maeve sits down, notice that the mage isn't hiding her brands anymore, at least here. Some of them are hidden by being under her clothes of course, but still; she's not wearing her gloves around the house now, which is sort of a big change.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

[Maeve's Cottage]
    She leans into the petting, purring softly and closing her eyes. As long as it's with you, I'd love to... anything in mind in particular?
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353
    Pixie in the Playground

[The Palace of Orochi]

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    Sunder inclines her head to the huge dragon. "My enemies are yours, and yours mine. For your kindness, feel free to call upon myself and my little ponies if you ever have need of our aid. We are happy to help true friends."

Well!

That's a nice attitude, isn't it?

"We have notice a disturbing upturn in the undead activity around the Nexus. Undead attacks, plagues in the more destitute regions of Inside, gloomlands arising where there were previously none. A few days ago we added a former officer of Orcus' to our number. He had been sent to the world of the living to fetch an artifact called The Crucible. Ardent Heart's former master never told him what the device was for, but I can't imagine it is anything wholesome. Are you, perhaps, familiar with it?"

Knowing what the thing does sure would be helpful.

Then they might be able to figure out what Orcus' scheme is and thwart it!
    The dragon nods

It is agreed. This has been a happy time of alliances made.

Orochi tilts two of his heads

Such things do rise and fall in frequency... but that does seem more than coincidence. If this Crucible is the same one that I have heard of, it calls down an apocalypse of meteors when the proper ingredients are burned within it. A dreadful artifact, though one that seems poorly suited to making undead, unless you wish for mindless zombies.

24. - Top - End - #354

[Orochi's Palace]

Sunder frowns at that. "Or perhaps if your goal is simply to cause destruction on an unprecedented scale..."

That wouldn't be a very nice thing to do, now would it?

"No matter. The artifact is securely locked away in the vaults of Shadowood Hold. I should hope it will be safe there."

Barring someone breaking into the Hold and stealing it.

Or a giant undead invasion on the place. Or something similarly terrible.

And now?

Sunder fidgets a little. She still really isn't that good at courtly stuff. She doesn't have much practice! What's she supposed to say now? Apparently this is a great time for an awkward silence.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Pixie in the Playground

[Orochi's Palace]

Orochi nods

That is good, then. It has been a pleasure meeting you and your small Messenger, Sunder. Be well.

Tsukiko bows politely to her father and turns to go. Dark Dreams looks at Sunder, and Tsukiko whispers

Time to go...

26. - Top - End - #356

[Orochi's Palace]

Sunder bows likewise and departs, hopefully not doing anything rude in the process.

This is one of the downsides of being totally clueless regarding courtly behavior.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Pixie in the Playground

[Orochi's Palace - Courtyard]

Tsukiko grins as the trio walks out.

That went well, don't you think? It's nice to see Dad happy again, and... woah.

A tall, somewhat skeletal woman in a black dress is there in the courtyard, petting a large black dragonish horse... or is it a horse-ish dragon? Regardless, Tsukiko swallows nervously at the sight and bows very formally.

Honored grandmother...

28. - Top - End - #358

[Orochi's Palace]

"I'm curious, if it isn't sticking my nose into things that aren't my business, why is your father so interested in the state of myself and my little ponies? Is he hoping-"

And then the sentence stops for fairly obvious reasons. Skeleton thing. And judging from Tsukiko's reaction? Sunder offers a polite bow as well. Hopefully this encounter would be as pleasant as the previous one.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi - Courtyard]

Izanami turns, appearing bemused

My son is concerned with your establishment because the making of new alliances with the living perforce involves breaking some of those he once held with the dead. He hopes your activities to create a third power here will make the balance favorable for a lack of action against his realm by those same forces currently seeking your head.

And I suppose he hopes to keep me from interfering, as well, under the assumption that my people from the borderlands of Shadow and Disease are just as susceptible to your conversions as Orcus' are.

Tsukiko looks troubled

But... you gave Susano your blessing...

She nods

Indeed: my stepson being betrothed to the shadow-kitsune is a major concession, and for now I will honor that gesture. But I keep my own counsel, and I will be watching: if you will be a good neighbor, Sunder, then we shall have no quarrel.

30. - Top - End - #360

[Orochi's Palace]

Hoo boy.

More politics.

"I see," Sunder replies simply. How is she supposed to react to this? A third power? The living, the undead, and her unliving? Or do the shadows count as something other than undead? She's still pretty fuzzy on all this stuff.

That not as fuzzy as she was before the folks in the stable went over her with the curry comb.

"I suspect being a good neighbor will involve more than loaning a cup of butter when needed?" Sunder replies, her tone just as level as before. The implication is quite clear here. What are you expecting of me?

She's not going to agree to anything without having a firmer idea of what's going on.