New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Movie Swordfights

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    And ninjato also sounds pretty made up. I rather doubt it was actually called that.
    You'd be wrong.

Not that the reality is much of an improvement, but they didn't make it up at least.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Someone with a rapier on a battlefield would have been more or less useless.
    No, because he'd be an officer and wouldn't be there to fight anyway.

On the other hand, plenty of soldiers used Rapiers as their backup weapon. Probably because they didn't have the money to buy two swords so just took their civilian sword to battle. A man with a rapier and an arquebus is a lot more effective than one with just an arquebus if he gets unlucky (and completely identical in effectiveness if his side is winning anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    And ninjato also sounds pretty made up. I rather doubt it was actually called that.
    It wasn't, but few of the names European swords get described as are accurate either (bastard sword, zweihander, longsword in the D&D use)

The Ninja-to is based off a really rare footsoldiers sword. They were of so poor quality that most of them got recycled, they appear in some museum catalogues and art prints but there aren't any photographs of a real one, if any still exist. The real ones were supposedly slightly curved, since many of them were made from cut down bits of broken katana and naginata blades.

They probably had no actual link to Ninja, but that's true of Shuriken as well, which are a Samurai weapon that isn't mentioned in any published Ninjutsu manual. Since Ninja came from a wide range of social classes its not impossible that low ranked ones used cheap straight-bladed shortswords but that doesn't mean there was any such thing as a "Ninja Sword". If a Ninja could afford a katana they would just use one, except for the fact that if you've got into a sword fight you were being a crappy Ninja.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    Maybe it’s just a cultural thing. But I’ve heard from (supposed) experts that it was an insult. By marring someone’s face and good looks you injure their pride, permanently. That’s why the six fingered man gave Inigo those facial scars. To remind him who’s boss and insult him forever. Not to make him more attractive. (granted that is a movie, but the point is still valid methinks)
    It depends. Back before the wars, the study of mensur was considered to be a part of the education of a German aristocrat. Mensur is a very specialized form of fencing. It is not intended to be lethal, or even used in self defense, but rather a way of honing ones courage and spirit. the blows are done with a specially designed foil and aimed at the head, face and shoulders. Dodging or flinching were considered very bad form. German students would belong to duelling societies and duel one another. You were expected to take your wounds with honour, humour and courage...a man who had many cuts and took it well was much more highly regarded than a man who had fewer cuts and bore his wounds poorly. These cuts were considered a badge of manhood, and men with them attracted far more attention from the women than men without them..so much so that even men who did not practice mensur would scar their faces. Men who had small cuts would sometimes stuff the cuts with horsehair as a way of making these smaller cuts worse and enlarging the resultant scar.
    Last edited by Zadhadras; 2014-10-27 at 12:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

This show was on in 2002-2003, you back when the history channel had some credibility left.
    Oh, I meant to say, it is sad when of the shows on the History Channel, the guy who thinks the Knights Templar buried treasure in North America is the most plausible because we know the Knights Templar did actually exist, unlike aliens, bigfoots, or magic, which covers the other shows. (He'll even admit given the evidence that a large stone wall is actually just a geologic formation and not built by prehistoric giants.)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I was thinking more like peter woodward from the history channel’s conquest series.

I looked Peter up on Wikipedia and apparently he’s not an expert just the host of the show. But still I expect the history channel to give a courtesy glance at the facts before they start making crap up.
    Actually Peter Woodward is a bit more of an expert on fencing then you might think. First of all he is stuntman and an old school english actor. These guys go out of their way to learn fencing. Also he is an experienced Fight Arranger for films, TV and the stage. He just wasn't a host. He has first hand knowledge of the real thing I am sure as well as stunt fighting.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    No, because he'd be an officer and wouldn't be there to fight anyway.

On the other hand, plenty of soldiers used Rapiers as their backup weapon. Probably because they didn't have the money to buy two swords so just took their civilian sword to battle. A man with a rapier and an arquebus is a lot more effective than one with just an arquebus if he gets unlucky (and completely identical in effectiveness if his side is winning anyway).
    As you say rapiers are more for duels and single combat than the battlefield. For that time period people with combat swords had the choice of the so called "Sword Rapier" (There is a more proper name, but I can't remember it. :( ). It was a heavier blade (especially near the hilt) and could slash fairly well but was still light enough for point work. These where used during the 30 Years War in Germany.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Actually Peter Woodward is a bit more of an expert on fencing then you might think. First of all he is stuntman and an old school english actor. These guys go out of their way to learn fencing. Also he is an experienced Fight Arranger for films, TV and the stage. He just wasn't a host. He has first hand knowledge of the real thing I am sure as well as stunt fighting.
    I was referring to professors and other sort of scholarly experts.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Interestingly though, most military swords from the times when rapiers were popular remained quite robust cutting or cut-and-thrust action weapons.
    Polish hussars's weaponry:
    Lance - piercing
    Karabela - cutting
    Koncerz - piercing
    Nadziak - piercing/bludgeoning