New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Hunters

1. - Top - End - #751
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Sun Hunters

"Noegle, can you transform to an Animal Resistant to fire ?" Ellyrion offers "It may helps up quite a bit"

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

Does poison work on it? He asks Elariel

I'm not familiar with any animal that are able to resist fire, are you? He responds, However the trick I used against the wisps should do the trick.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Dragonskin:red
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2015-01-29 at 04:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

At Noegle's question, Elariel shakes her head.
    "Most poisons work by damaging the organs. While this Ooze might have organs, they... aren't functional. I doubt that it would be effective. They are also immune to most mental effects, because they don't have a brain. Consider them more or less roving stomachs, and you will be close to right. Now, as for creatures that are immune to fire, I would need to know more about your limitations. There are quite a lot of extra planar creatures, but I don't know if you can turn into those."
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ettin in the Playground

I've only just started practicing on extra planar creatures. I don't think I could get the organs right if I tried. Noegle explains then gesturing with his red claw, I was refering to this

5. - Top - End - #755

GreenSorcererElf

Elariel just looks at him, like he's an idiot.
    "You asked about animals that are resistant to fire, and I asked if you had any other limitations. The other is quite obvious."
    She sounds offended.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2015-01-29 at 04:13 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ettin in the Playground

Noegle feels stubid and he doesn't like the feeling. Not wanting to show it he calmly responds Non-magical animals and humanoids

7. - Top - End - #757

GreenSorcererElf

"There are quite a few that fall into those categories. Those with traces of fire in their blood, some Tieflings, I have heard of some special animals being resistant, and many more."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

I doubt allowing this ooze as you call it to be at our backs would be a wise idea. We either kill it now, or turn back and explore the res of the maze we seem to find ourselves in. As if we walk past it and find ourselves needing to retreat we may end up dead. I still say we kill it now, if the bodies will help distract them long enough it would be a good idea to use them. Seth says ready to go back and get the bodies if they agree. After all this thing was suppose to be mindless, dead flesh live flesh, all should be the same to it. So long as we kept the dead things inbetween them for a decent amount of time.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with Seth, let's kill it, Noegle purrs. If nobody stops him he'll run to a place about 80 feet from the Ooze and await it's reaction.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2015-01-30 at 05:02 AM.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

The ooze continues to shuffle about, seemingly unaware of Noegle's feline presence.

11. - Top - End - #761

GreenSorcererElf

Elariel sighs.
    "If we are going to kill it, let's do the smart thing. It's probably relatively slow, so we can stand off and shoot at it until it dies. If it's faster, it will probably go after the first person it sees, so, Noegle, how good are you at keeping out of the reach of an Ooze, while being very distracting?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #762

GreenSorcererElf

Elariel considers her allies once more, and looks even sadder.
    "You don't have ranged weapons, do you? Well, I suppose that means that we do this the hard way."
    She turns to her brother.
    "El, do you want to be protected from fire? I think I should be all right, because of the changes the pheonix made."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #763

NecromancerGuy

"I have a weapon with superior reach to his attacks, so it's the same" Ellyrion says "But protect me from it's attacks. When it tires to charge me, i will stop it on it's tracts, While you hit it with your bow"

14. - Top - End - #764

GreenSorcererElf

Elariel nods.
    "All right. If you can strike at it, and if the Seth and Noegle can keep it distracted, we should be able to take it."
    She draws her bow, and carefully sets an arrow to it.
    "I can start shooting from here, so when we're ready..."

(1d20+20)[26] know: Dungeoneering(For know: devo)
    (+3 bonuses for her)
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2015-01-30 at 09:44 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #765

NecromancerGuy

Ellyrion Nods, and slowly reaches Noegle's position, 80 ft from the ooze, His chain at the ready.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know I haven't tried something like this before. This form is fast so if that thing is slow and will keep chasing me then it should work but wait until it starts chasing me. Everyone's ready? If everyone is ready Noegle will move closer and make a thunderous roar that should catch the thing's attention.

Spoiler
    Show
    If this is a turn then: move to 50 ft away from the ooze and ready an action to move 40 ft south just before the Ooze is in range of him.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2015-01-30 at 10:46 AM.

17. - Top - End - #767

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing everyone was ready, Elariel opens fire, shooting her bow rapidly at the viscous ooze.
    Spoiler: rolls
    Show

[roll0] concealment(66)
    [roll1] attack(30)
    [roll2] damage(4)

[roll3] concealment(29)
    [roll4] attack(11)
    [roll5] damage(9)

34 shots remain.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

As all his allies get ready Seth enlarges himself as both he and his weapon grow before getting within 60ft. of the creature to make sure his enemy could see him. Thats when the Goliath drew his blade and began to sing, making sure all his allies were at full fighting capacity.

19. - Top - End - #769

NecromancerGuy

Ellyrion casts Shield and Protection form Evil at himself, and draws his Chain, ready to intercept the ooze.

(Ready Action, Whilring blade at the ooze once it moves in sight)
    Last edited by Sephir; 2015-01-30 at 12:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Elariel shoots at the ooze, one of the arrows sinking into him for insignificant damage. Seth begins to sing, while the others prepare.

The ooze charges towards Neogle, who leaps out of the way before the ooze can reach him. In response, the ooze continues its movement, heading towards Ellyrion, though not quite reaching him.

Ellyrion sends his chain towards the ooze, rolling for attack and damage!

The ooze's membrane closes around the wound created by the arrow, completely negating the damage it did, and then some.

Spoiler
    Show

I'll shift the map eastward if you want to retreat.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

As Seth watches the enemy get closer he lowers his head and charges at it, entering a rage as his blade tries to sink into the beast, the force behind it massive.

Spoiler: Pounce charge attack
    Show

Attack 1 (1d20+20)[24] Damage (4d6+12)[24] + Powerful charge (3d6+12)[25]
    Attack 2 (1d20+15)[24] Damage (4d6+12)[31]

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ettin in the Playground

So much for kiting Noegle grunts before pouncing

Spoiler
    Show
    Full-round: Charge with pounce
    Attack 1: (1d20+12)[32]38 dmg (1d8+3)[9] and (1d4)[2] 15
    Attack 1: (1d20+7)[27]33 dmg (1d8+3)[5] and (1d4)[4]13
    Claw1 (1d20+10)[25]31 dmg (1d4+1)[4] 8
    Claw2 (1d20+10)[13]19 dmg (1d3+1)[4]8
    If both hit then rake (1d20+10)[20] and dmg (1d3+1)[2](Ignore this)
    Bite: (1d20+10)[19]25 with dmg (1d6+1)[3] 7
    If hit then grapple(it's a pure strength check right?) (1d20+3)[23]

Edit: So I forgot the +4 to atk and damage from Seth's song and +2 from charge.

Last edited by Sønderjye; 2015-01-30 at 08:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #773

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing the injury heal rapidly, Elariel continues to fire, hoping to have better luck this time.

(1d20+12)[19]
    (1d8+3)[7] damage

(1d20+7)[11]
    (1d8+3)[5] damage
    (And +4 attack and damage from inspire courage)
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2015-01-30 at 04:09 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #774

NecromancerGuy

Ellyrion curser as the Chain misses, rolling towards the ooze before making a sudden leap, spinning his chain as far as the ceiling allowed him to before bring it down to the ooze
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Tumble auto succeed in DR 26
    Soaring raptor sstrike
    jump (1d20+24)[40]
    Attack (1d20+17)[27]
    damage (2d4+9)[14] + (6d6)[23]

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

The ooze feels as though 3 trains slam into him!

As Noegle pounces, the Ooze reacts by slamming into him. His defensive spell soaks up the heat from the flaming liquid spilling over Noegle from the Ooze, leaving only the physical impact to worry about. 12 Damage.

Ellyrion's chain raptures the ooze, causing flaming blood to spill over him for 8 fire damage.

The ooze cannot resist! It's structure is compromised and the sack of blood and fire bursts, spilling over the floor.

400xp

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

Noegle spits a piece of ooze out of his mouth. He definitely didn't like the taste of fire, even while being resistant to it. That said it felt good being a train. He took a moment to wonder how the Ooze managed to survive without any anathomy but decided that it would only give him migraine and that he would it let it rest till later.

I think that if we wanna do this whole "distract and run around" thing at some other point I need more space so I'll be the nearby target at all times. He reflects as he examines the room. Is he able to see any valuables that might have resisted the fire inside the ooze or maybe something in the weapon stands?

After looking around he's ready to go through the southern door. You know, your order have a ready weird taste for pets. He comments as he walks.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[6]

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

As Seth's rage ends with his enemy defeated, it is clear the amount of extension these last to battles have had it out on him as he looks exhausted. I will still be able to fight, and do other things. I just need a few moments to catch my breath. Seth explains as he slowly walks around the new room looking around it to see what was to be seen in the training area.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+3)[23] search

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

The room seems to have been dissolved and scorched bare, though Seth manages to find something interesting... Directing Noegle, who is still protected from the burning blood of the ooze, you find a book within the once living stomach. It's titled "The Encyclopedia of Skill Lore. Volume Fourteen: Mental Acumen."

Examining it, Elariel realizes that this is a copy of one of the books written by Linus Winterguest, one of the greatest Loremasters of all time. Copies of these books are almost as rare as the originals, as Reginald, the only apprentice Linus had and the one who carried the library afterwards, was afraid that the knowledge would reach those who will use it to harm and control others. Instead, Reginald selected himself those with whom he would share the knowledge, giving the books to small groups at a time before taking it again and looking for the next worthy group. To make a copy of a single book would take a dedicated scribe over two months of work, which limited greatly the opportunities for copies to be made.

The Eye would likely be interested in such a find, but perhaps you could read it first?

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Reading and attempting to grasp the concepts in the book takes a week of reading 8 hours a day. During those 8 hours you need relative peace and quiet, similar to the environment you would need to prepare your spells. Interruptions increase the required time by an hour, while failing to complete a session of study makes grasping the lessons even harder. Only one person can study from the book at a time.

After a week of study, you make an Intelligence check against DC 12. If you pass, you gain the benefits of the book (permanently). If you fail, you can try again after another week of study, but the DC is 15. Passing the check by 10 or more results in an additional bonus. If studying with someone who has already read and mastered the book, the reader can add a +2 synergy bonus to the intelligence check. If the skills or skill set are class skills, add +2 to the check.

This Volume teaches awareness and study methods. It grants +6 competence bonus to Concentration, as well as +2 Competence to Spot, Listen and Search. It also grants +6 Spellcraft when learning new spells, and +4 synergy to the intelligence check required to learn any other book from the set.

While searching the room, you also find two other doors - One in the south-western corner leading west, and another near that door, leading south.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, Which way is it now? Noegle asks gesturing towards the robotic servants

30. - Top - End - #780

GreenSorcererElf

Elariel watches as the Noegle and Seth search the fallen ooze, but when they pull out the book, and show it to her, she is amazed, and excited.
    "Do... do you have any idea what this is? It's a copy of a book by Linus Winterguest, one of the best loremasters to ever live! The knowledge it could contain... The Eye would love this, but I would very much like to get the chance to read it first."

If she's passed the book, she will reverently place it in her bag, being careful to ensure its safety.

Once Noegle asks his question, she looks over him, and smiles, clearly still happy about finding the book.
    "Why don't we take a look through both doors before deciding?"
    Following through, she heads over to each of the unopened doors, and opens them a crack, peering through to the other side.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2015-02-01 at 09:41 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss