New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What song would 1,000 bards sing together?

nitpick: mozart not motzart ;)

and:
    I never realized the liberty of the english translation of dies irae. it's not even close to the original, but it is one hell of a song anyway.

I'll just translate the first part:
    days of wrath, this day will dissolve the world in ash as testimonied by David and Sybilla.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Korahir View Post
    nitpick: mozart not motzart ;)

and:
    I never realized the liberty of the english translation of dies irae. it's not even close to the original, but it is one hell of a song anyway.

I'll just translate the first part:
    days of wrath, this day will dissolve the world in ash as testimonied by David and Sybilla.
    Yeah, went with the more poetic version, primarily because it helps sell the idea of how awesome it is (In the classical sense of the word). Poetics help there.

And apologies, posting this from my phone.
    Last edited by The Vagabond; 2014-10-10 at 10:13 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It might just be me, but I think "Hooked on a Feelin" would be pretty awesome sung by 1000 bards.
    Check out my Campaign World, Hiltmarch
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...ikis/main-page

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Somewhere, Conan the Barbarian refuses to weep, and instead curses Crom for permitting WotC to botch his class so badly.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    West Side Story is the perfect source for song-and-dance routines designed for large groups of people mobilizing with the express intent of murdering other large groups of people. Specifically, the song "Cool" - where members of the Jets are revving themselves up for an impending rumble with the Sharks - is amazing for this. The show also has some good pieces with a multiple part harmony (see e.g. the "Tonight Quintet" towards the end of Act I, in which five different songs are being performed in brilliant and riveting counterpoint).
    I'm imaging all of the Bards approaching the enemy while snapping their fingers. Just be careful that the enemy does not do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Definitely, though as a runner up, imagine 1000 people singing Libera Me from Hell.
    Yes. Yes! YES!!!!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Give them the blanket skill Perform: Symphony and go nuts with songs by Two Steps from Hell. Adjust song to note combat formations and bardic music effect being used.
    Currently Playing as:
    KalKhan Manyfaces Half-Orc Ranger5/Illithid Slayer3/Aerial Avenger 3/Wizard 2//psionic gish (3.X)
    Puck Yuell Pixie (sprite) Bard (3.5)

Currently Running:
    Cypher Arcanum- an attempt at giving my players a Monty Haul. Taking it away, but giving nice internal bonuses. (3.X)

Homebrewing:
    Reincarnation/Heritage Campaign- using Cypher as the test ground

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, how about this?
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Would Guile's theme fit?

Or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYvIteffXw?

9. - Top - End - #69

if you can get a ton of them playing instruments (especially bagpipes) this will induce mass pants-soiling in any army.
    avatardonebymememememememememeeeeeeeeeee

Julian, it's a hungry world
    They're gonna eat you alive son, yeah
    Oh Julian, when their fangs sink in
    I'll stitch you but then I gotta throw you back in

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    .... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by commander panda View Post
    if you can get a ton of them playing instruments (especially bagpipes) this will induce mass pants-soiling in any army.
    NOOO!!! ANYTHING BUT THE INFERNAL BAGPIPES!!! (My sincerest apologies to those who actually enjoy bagpipes, but I personally can't stand the sound of the things.) I'm seconding The Imperial March as well as pretty much any song by Van Canto. I was thinking Duel of the Fates, but now that I think about it, I'm not so sure about it. If they're divine bards you could maybe try something like A Mighty Fortress Is Our God?
    Last edited by RhoTheWanderer; 2014-10-11 at 03:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    The Evokers/Warmages of the world would make statues of you (with the smoldering corpses of a thousand kobolds) if this happened.
    I appologize in advance if I get long-winded; I often seem to have great difficulty condensing my thoughts into a succinct summary.

11. - Top - End - #71

MonkGuy

More Queen could work, too: How about Princes of the Universe? Heck, just break out a "Best of Queen" album and go to town.

Or almost anything by Van Canto. Metal a capella? Yes please. (Seriously, Van Canto's cover of Manowar's Kings of Metal fits this so well.)

Dio's Holy Diver, perhaps?
    Van Canto's approach to music would definitely be fitting here having some of the singers be backing vocals and a beat would be great.

While not my favorite song (That honor is reserved for their cover of Fear of the Dark which sounds amazing) I'd have to say Stormbringer is good fit for a marching army.

And If I'm not mistake, you can march to it fairly easily.
    Last edited by TypoNinja; 2014-10-11 at 03:41 AM.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by RhoTheWanderer View Post
    NOOO!!! ANYTHING BUT THE INFERNAL BAGPIPES!!! (My sincerest apologies to those who actually enjoy bagpipes, but I personally can't stand the sound of the things.)
    well they were originally intended to intimidate enemies before entering battle. so thats kinda the idea.
    avatardonebymememememememememeeeeeeeeeee

Julian, it's a hungry world
    They're gonna eat you alive son, yeah
    Oh Julian, when their fangs sink in
    I'll stitch you but then I gotta throw you back in

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    .... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

13. - Top - End - #73

Goblin

O Fortuna....
    Yeah, this.

OR....

Any Haka could be terrifying. Their purpose being to make the opponents shat themselves before combat, like bagpipes. :)
    Last edited by Nibbens; 2014-10-11 at 09:15 AM.
    Roll some dice, make some stuff up!
    Current campaign: City of Progress Campaign Journal
    This guide!

A reading of notable information in The City of Progress, here.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Saturday Night's All Right for Fightin'". The Who's version, not Elton John's; let's face it, Elton's a great musician, but absolutely not a guy you'd be afraid to fight.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TypoNinja View Post
    Van Canto's approach to music would definitely be fitting here having some of the singers be backing vocals and a beat would be great.

While not my favorite song (That honor is reserved for their cover of Fear of the Dark which sounds amazing) I'd have to say Stormbringer is good fit for a marching army.

And If I'm not mistake, you can march to it fairly easily.
    To combine this with an earlier suggestion, Van Canto did a reasonably epic cover of Holding Out for a Hero. That minor-key opening is appropriately funerary.

Also, they did a decent cover of The Final Countdown. The build-up is something you could totally hear as the army of bards rises over the crest of the hill.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

16. - Top - End - #76

SwashbucklerGuy

To combine this with an earlier suggestion, Van Canto did a reasonably epic cover of Holding Out for a Hero. That minor-key opening is appropriately funerary.[...]
    Yes. Just yes. You could keep a few units of multiclass bard/marshals as cavalry. Then proceed to have the army start singing this if the battle starts to go against them as a signal for the cavalry to ride in and save the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    The Evokers/Warmages of the world would make statues of you (with the smoldering corpses of a thousand kobolds) if this happened.
    I appologize in advance if I get long-winded; I often seem to have great difficulty condensing my thoughts into a succinct summary.

17. - Top - End - #77

The Smile Song.
    Nah, not really, I would suggest something like Indestructible from Disturbed or Dragula from Rob Zombie, if you want it more classy, try with Devil's Dance-Floor or hell, if you want to strike terror into them, anything from Dragonforce will do, personal suggestions: Through The Fire and Flames, Fury of the Storm, Soldiers of the Wasteland.
    What do you have against me? I'm not hurting anyone, so why do you?
    I was once told that Friendship is Magic, but so far it's been nothing but tragic.