New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Reunion HotDQ

Isilme

Isilme was barely listening to the conversation around her. Leosin hadn't made it to the keep? On purpose? Was he in danger? Should I go look for him?

The--nurse?--who came out of nowhere and took Helm away distracted her momentarily. She wasn't sure how she felt about this. Helm was nice to her and a good fighter as well. Although he had managed to get wounded.... Well, maybe it was by luck on the lizard-folk's part. At least there was still Darigaaz, remarkably silent through the whole thing which she could certainly appreciate.

Devlin managed to get her attention when he said her name, and she stood a little straighter, if that were possible, at the mention of her skills. Of course I could. She opened her mouth to speak when Evandur started speaking. She was getting used to him, and her initial violent reaction had eased into a mere tension and suspicion. He was so bossy though...she missed being on her own. Which brought her full cicle--where is Leosin? and why isn't he here?

She looked towards the sky. She agreed that taking out the dragon was a good first step. She would have a hard time seeking out Leosin with all the kobolds AND a dragon around.
    Last edited by KoalaOtter; 2014-12-13 at 09:08 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Just as Evan finishes laying out his plan the noise of soldiers on the walls picks up and the shape of the dragon comes into view. The creature sweeps along the wall about 30 ft out, coming from the northeast and flying along the southeast section of the wall next to the tower. About halfway along the wall it unleashes a blast of lightning, soldiers duck behind wall sections and it appears only one man is injured in the attack. The dragon turns to the southwest and leaves your sight from within the tower. Escobert begins giving orders to nearby soldiers to stop cowering and return fire. It seems you are free to do what you please.

The ruckus can be heard down in the infirmary as well where the womans mood darkens for a moment.
    "Sounds like the Dragon is still paying us visits." she says
    She quickly remembers her charge and with a smile adds
    "How are you feeling?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Those of you watching the dragon can make a perception check to make note of the dragons flight path, could come in handy later ;)
    You can ask Escobert more questions or start taking actions however you please.
    Balls in your court. :)
    Also map
    https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...zoyk-9TwE/edit
    Last edited by RadarD; 2014-12-13 at 12:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Evendur

Evan puts his hands together rubbing them a bit "Okay the goal is to hit that thing on the next pass, Devlin I'm leaving the launching up to you, I'll help where you need me to, Isilme and Darigaaz we'll need some help loading a barrel."He turns to the Dwarf and his men "All that I need from you and your men is to light a few arrows and shoot them at the dragon once that barrel breaks, You don't have to be perfect, just get the lit arrows to come in contact with the oil and we'll be all set" He figured with this being his plan he should make sure everyone had a role to play, and everyone was prepared to execute it.

"If this works half as well as I'm hoping it does we'll be rid of that cursed winged beast with relative ease."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Helm:

"Better. I feel better. What is that stuff?"

Helm pauses for a moment, and then continues.

"Do you have any more doctoring to do, or am I free to go? If I know my comrades, I reckon they're hiding in the cellar right about now. I should probably go round them up. Maybe we can do something about that dragon."

Emboldened somewhat by the reduced pain in his side, and the scant flirtations that made it through even his thick skull, Helm adds a little more,

"I reckon I'm going to die tonight - but just in case I don't ... Maybe you'll patch together what's left of me, eh?"

With that, he hops off his table and goes to find the others - he's not in any particular rush, he figures the dragon has been assaulting the keep for some time, and it doesn't seem any worse for wear - plus, what are the odds that his friends are actually about to hurl a flaming barrel at a full grown dragon with a homebuild catapult?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Aye" says the dwarf in response to Evans suggestion then ordering his men to prepare fire arrows.
    "Ill come out with you and make sure my men do their duty." he adds wrapping a cloth around the head of a spear and dipping it in a barrel of oil.
    He prepares to move out and follow the groups lead.

"I do hope you come back, perhaps ill show you how good that medicine can really be next time." the woman says to Helm winking and letting her hand slide across his abdomen one last time before he gets up.
    "Escobert probably took your companions up the tower, ill wait here for any men they send down from the last Dragon pass." she adds as he moves towards the door.

Helm climbs the stairs in the tower and reaches the second level just in time to see Darigaaz and Isilme picking up a barrel labeled "flammable" and everyone looking ready to move quickly out on to the wall.

Show

Continue with your plan. Choose one person to make the checks
    Intelligence to aim the catapult with an extra +4 from good perception. :)
    Intelligence to set the power of the catapult.
    Dexterity to fire it at the correct time.
    Whoever makes the check has advantage if at least one other person helps.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Helm:

Helm's eyes flicker from the explosives to his comrades and back. He grimaces and nods, surveying the surroundings for something...

Spoiler: Helm's Part
    Show
    Helm, deducing what the explosive barrel is going to be used for, wants to prepare a fire-arrow to shoot at it when it reaches the dagron. Is there any pitch and a light around? If not, there must be a torch. Perhaps Helm could scrape enough pitch onto his arrow to hold a flame? Will an arrow be able to punch fire through the side of the wooden crate? Or will Helm need to time his shot to hit home at the exact moment that the crate strikes the dragon and breaks open?

7. - Top - End - #187

Isilme

Motivated by her desire to find Leosin, Isilme doesn't hesitate in helping Darigaaz load a large barrel.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Evandur

Upon hearing the dwarf's assurance, Evan gives a final look around the room noticing Helm. He waits for the barrel to be loaded, and for Devlin to get in position. They might only get the once shot at this, and he was determined to make it count. "Remember, don't fire until you see the barrel make contact, it might also make sense to weaken the barrel a bit just before we launch it, so we can be sure if it hits it breaks" As he speaks he looks out onto the wall "Time to bring that flying beast down"

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

As the group reaches the device and begins loading the barrel anyone scanning the sky can see the form of the dragon growing larger in the faint light of the moon.

It seems to be following the same path as before and will be at the wall any minute!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Evendur

Evan gives a quick look over everything waiting for Devlin to be ready before helping to line up the shot

Spoiler: oocs
    Show

SO yeah, aiding Devlin on the stuff to ensure highest possibility of success
    Last edited by Cristov; 2015-01-16 at 02:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devlin's eyes lit up as he got closer to the launching device, his fascination with technical things adding an extra spring to his step. Crawling all over the thing, he was lost for a few moments in the fun of a new technical puzzle, muttering to himself as he worked out how the thing worked, how much power it would have, and tossing a few stray comments on how it could be improved. The sound of the barrel being loaded jolted the gnome out of his study as he realized his companions were ready to put the thing to use, and a glance up showed that the dragon was getting close enough to put their plan into action.

"Alright Evan, I think I know how this contraption will work." And a few quick gestures and explanations later he was ready. Raising his voice, Devlin addressed the other men on the walls, hoping to give them at least a little inspiration: "Archers, ready any fire arrows you have! When the barrel hits, shoot for all you're worth! We will ignite this beast, and send it smoking back to whatever hole it crawled out of! You have the chance to swat this menace out of the sky, take it, and then take back your home!"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Inspirational Speech!
    (1d20+4)[11]

For the Launch!
    Dave, you said I could have my +2 for proficiency cuz gnome and technical things for some of these? I'm not adding it in, but feel free to apply generously :P Also, I'm rolling with advantage, because of assistance.

There is the Int check to aim:
    (1d20+2)[10], (1d20+2)[20]
    A separate Int check to set the power:
    (1d20+2)[14], (1d20+2)[13]
    And a Dex check for the actual firing:
    (1d20+2)[22], (1d20+2)[21]
    All stories are true, but this one really happened ... more or less.
    You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.
    ~ NotW

Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Devlin, Gnome Bard

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

As Isilme and Darigaaz load the barrel Devlin addresses the troops. Helm and the soldiers on the wall ready their bows, fire arrows notched. As the dragon swoops along the wall many of the soldiers loose their nerve. Some fire immediately, others cower behind the wall, even more cower as the dragon unleashes lightning along the wall.

Meanwhile Devlin turns the cranks to position the catapult while directing Evan to set the power near max. As the dragon approaches Devlin stands up, making one last mental calculation and then pulls the firing lever. The barrel flies in a perfect intercepting path for the dragon. It appears the power may have been a little too high when the dragons wing clips the barrel cracking it and spraying out some of the flammable liquid.

Show

Devlin and Evan are busy firing the catapult but if anyone else wants to do something, shoot fire arrows, flex, shout, whatever, now is your chance.
    Ill give people some time to do things simultaneous to the barrel launching before finishing the sequence. :)

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Helm:

Helm's eyes narrow as the dragon makes its circling path - bowstring drawn taut to his ear, trying to keep the flaming arrow from blinding him.

Around him, he is only vaguely aware of the panic brewing in the soldier-archers. He dismisses any attempt to lead them with words, figuring it could only hurt his own odds of landing his shot - instead he decides to lead them by example instead.

As the dragon drew near, a few arrows launched prematurely. Other soldiers dove behind the parapets, abandoning their weapons, taking cover from the approaching doom. Helm stands firm. He strains his ears for Devlin's call and is only vaguely surprised to find that it is completely drowned out by the awesome sound the catapult itself makes. Helm looses his arrow...

Spoiler: FIRE!
    Show
    (1d20+5)[19]

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Helms arrow flies after the barrel and strikes it solidly despite its twirling motion from grazing the dragon. First the stream of liquid catches fire and the barrel appears to spew fire around the dragons wings. As the dragon dives to escape the flames the barrel itself explodes covering the rear of the dragon in flames and severely disrupting its flight.
    As the blazing light of the fireball fades the dragon can be seen landing awkwardly below the keeps walls, the entire rear end of the dragon still wreathed in fire. Just after landing the wings tuck in and the dragon crouches to roll.

Show
    You have some time to react to the landing dragon. Let me know if you have any questions.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Helm:

Squinting, and nearly blinded by the fire arrow, Helm watches his arrow streak towards the incoming dragon. Each moment stretching out as the arrow drew narrow to their foe, his hope rising, his odds of success growing... Even with the distance, even with his focus on events, the ferocity of the ensuing fireball catches Helm off-guard. Instinctively he flinches, and moves to duck behind the nearest parapet, before he recovers himself to cheer as loudly as possible. He turns to the nearest archer to him, clapping him soundly on the shoulder and yelling, "That was a hell of a shot, soldier! Keep it up!", he takes a deep breathe, turns to the rest of the forces, and bellows as loud as he can, "All right, we've proven that we can hurt it! Now let him have it!!"

Helm nocks another arrow, pulls deep and let's it fly towards the dagron.

Spoiler: charisma to lie to/inspire the soldiers?
    Show
    (1d20)[18]

Spoiler: attack/damage roll on the dragon
    Show
    (1d20+5)[16](1d8+3)[4]

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Evendur

As the barrel was fired Evan crossed his fingers, hoping they had managed everything just right, and as he saw the soldiers failing to cowardice he sees Helm's shot find its mark and set the dragon's back end ablaze. "Hot damn it worked, Now that its on the ground its far easier to handle." He turns to Helm "At least we had one reliable marksman with us". While the plan hadn't turned out perfectly, it was still a win as far as he was concerned and as he looked over the wall, he couldn't help but think to himself One is a start at least.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

As the dragon begins to roll extinguishing the flames on its hindquarters Helms arrow bounces harmlessly off the thick hide. Meanwhile emboldened by the falling dragon many of the soldiers pick up their bows and begin firing arrows down at the beast.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

The arrows of the guards bounce off the dragons hide as it rolls to extinguish the flames. Once extinguished it makes two powerful bounds and begins to ascend using its mostly unharmed powerful wings.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Almost mechanically, Helm looses another arrow from his quiver, nocks it the the string and lets fly. He doesn't waste time following it to see if it will any vital part of the beast.

He turns to his companions and yells, "Evan! Are we loading that thing up for another shot? I'm not so sure your trick will work twice."

Spoiler: mechanical bits
    Show

attack roll:(1d20+5)[17]
    damage roll: (1d8+3)[5]
    move to a more sheltered/less fireball-formation-y location

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Helms arrow bounces off the dragons thick hide again and then the dragon vanishes behind the wall.
    A few seconds later the beast can be seen swooping high overhead aiming for the southern part of town.

For those who continue to watch the dragon it can be seen swooping low near the south entrance to town then rising again, its path changing to a northeastern course. As the beast crosses the moon the shape of what appears to be a wagon can be seen dangling below the dragons form.

As the dragon fades into the dark night Escobert joins the party on the wall peering into the darkness.

Show
    Everyone is peering into the night to see if the dragon will return.
    Escobert is standing with the group next to the catapult if you would like to speak with him.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Evendur

As the dragon manages to extinguish the flames and rises, Evan curses under his breath Hit too far back. He turns hearing Helm's voice he turns "Well we only brought the one barrel out". He turns watching the dragon as it takes off "though from the look of it we probably only needed it to work the one time."

He sits with his back against one of the parapets, taking a few breaths to relax himself, "Guess if that thing isn't coming back we're going to need to make sure the town is safe, and cleared of any more of those Kobolds." He glances towards the dwarf and his men "I'm guessing we're going to have to take care of that as well"

Spoiler: OOC stuff
    Show

So I'm figuring the dragon is taken care of, and not entirely convinced that the town guard would be reliable enough to fully clear the town on their own.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devlin

When the catapult launched, Devlin cursed under his breath as he watch the trajectory that was obviously not what he'd hoped for. That the barrel had hit at all was a mercy, and he thanked whatever gods were listening that there was any fire on the beast at all. When the dragon hit the ground the gnome looked around, trying to figure out if there was anything they could do to harass the creature more, even though he knew there was no way they'd get the contraption turned around in time.

As the dragon shook off the effect of fire and arrows and launched back into the sky, Devlin watched it with a wary eye. Good riddance, he thought to himself as the beast appeared to fly away, though he wasn't sure he liked that trajectory.

Glancing up at Evan, the bard chimed in "This town certainly needs to be cleared of the trouble makers, and those fires need to be taken care of... but I don't think we can take care of all of it ourselves." A pause and Devlin turned toward the Dwarf: "Escobert, you know your town and your men. With that flying menace out of the picture, where could we be of the most help?"

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Perception - do we know that wagon?! (1d20+3)[13]
    All stories are true, but this one really happened ... more or less.
    You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.
    ~ NotW

Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Devlin, Gnome Bard

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Escobert sighs as the Dragon disappears from view. Wiping his brow he turns to address the party.
    "Well aimed!" he applauds patting Devlin on the back.

"We are much better off with that beast gone but you are right there is still much to do. Those who didn't come directly to the keep probably headed ..."

His sentence is interrupted by shouts from below.
    "They are inside! Enemies in the fort!"

Escobert quickly moves to look into the courtyard.
    "Blast they must have gotten through the sallyport while we were dealing with the dragon!
    My men will handle those already in the keep. I need you to make sure no more get in!"

Then he is moving towards the stairs.

24. - Top - End - #204

Isilme

Isilme watched the events with the dragon unfold with some impatience. She wasn't an archer and was antsy just standing by. Devlin also seemed frustrated, although she didn't know why at first; the barrel hit and Helm made a nice shot, lighting said barrel on fire. Then as Isilme watched the dragon extinguish the flames as if they were a mere annoyance, she understood. Not ideal, she thought as her body tensed, waiting for the dragon to come soaring back towards them. Fortunately the dragon didn't seem to be coming back. She watched the dragon carefully, suspicious that the beast wasn't retaliating. As it disappeared into the moonlight, she narrowed her eyes, straining to see. Then her eyes widened.

She gestured towards the dragon and caught Darigaaz's eye, as everyone else was running their mouth. As she took a breath to speak, louder voices called out from below. The keep had been invaded. Are you kidding me?!? she thought. This place is the literal worst. She rolled her eyes and readied her staff, hurrying towards the sallyport. Oh, his men will take care of the ones already in the keep? Really? Like they took care of the dragon?
    Last edited by KoalaOtter; 2015-02-08 at 01:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Helm:

Helm peers cautiously out from behind the parapet he had taken cover behind- still stunned and relieved that the dragon would give up while it was behind, rather than extract brutal, nasty revenge for the indignity they had just caused it.

The news that not only was the cult continuing its attack, but that it had breached the keep's walls was having a sobering effect on Helm. The wound he had taken from the Kobold earlier hung heavy on his mind, and the healer had done remarkably little to relieve the pain.

Still, complaining about it wouldn't save himself or anyone else - and there were more innocent lives on the line that ever... Helm squared his shoulders as moved to follow Escobert, and spoke up - trying to project more confidence into his voice than he really felt.

"I'll do my best to help, Escobert. Darry? Devvy? Evvy? Isilme? Are you up for some more daring heroics?"

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Evendur

Evan had no sooner relaxed before hearing the news of enemies in the keep. "Well tonight keeps getting better and better" he manages before gathering his things again "I don't suppose you have a suggestion how to get out of the keep without opening more doors for them to get back in through?" His question directed at Escobert before hearing helm refer to him as evvy...He certainly has nerve"Well I'm not going to let you get into trouble all by yourself again", He let out a bit of a laugh before he gets up near Helm "Hopefully this time we both walk away from any fighting unharmed."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

It seemed Isilme was one step ahead of Helm as she was moving towards the stairs down to the sallyport even before he made his query. Seeing 3 of their member moving Darry and Devvy followed suit and soon they were all making their way to the stairs.

In a pause of yelling orders to the guards on the wall Escobert addresses Even. "No need to go outside the walls lad, I need you to regain control of the sallyport and make sure no one else gets in."
    With that he moves down the wall shouting more orders to guards to turn and fire on the intruders.

Show
    Will make the map now and a new post tomorrow to introduce the sallyport skirmish. If you have any questions or things you want to do before going down the stairs now is your chance.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

The sounds of many skirmishes can be heard as the group reaches the bottom of the stairs. As they move through the courtyard the red orange light of the many torches glints off the armor of the guards and invaders alike as they are locked in combat.

Straight ahead is the small ready room of the sallyport, the door is slightly ajar but from their distance nothing can be seen within. Escobert can be hard yelling orders from the wall. "Retake that room! Make sure no more get inside!" he shouts pointing at the wooden structure ahead of you.

Show
    Here is the map.
    Unless you engage in one of the skirmishes in the courtyard you do not need initiative yet.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Helm:

"I think we should do this quick. We have an important job in this furball, and I figure we can't endanger our success by drawing any extra attention to ourselves..."

Helm's eyes flicker quickly over the battlefield that surround them, looking for any groups of guards that seem to be getting overwhelmed by the tide of kobolds and their humanoid allies...

"So I guess I suggest that we just make a fast and hard assault, and finish this up as quickly as possible. Thoughts?"

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Evendur

"Well job is a job right?" Evan responds as he makes sure nothing got too close to the group, if anything did he was certainly on alert enough to try and ignite any enemy that did try to approach. "pretty sure there is only one real option here, go in and secure that door, not a lot of area for subtlety"