New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5] Limited Actions in a Round

Hi all,

I'm a little hazy on rules relating to when characters are limited to a single move or standard actions, and how this impacts on things like Charging or Withdraw actions, which have special rules relating to this scenario.

Obviously, when subject to a Slow spell, the character is limited. Also, I believe these rules apply to Zombies.

But what about in a surprise round - by definition, you are limited to a dingle move or standard action, but from what I've read in the Q&A threads, this doesn't qualify? And how about readied actions?

Can someone please confirm if a surprise round qualifies (with a little RAW backup if possible), and any other circumstances when the partial Charge and Withdraw rules apply?

Cheers - T

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: [3.5] Limited Actions in a Round

Disclaimer: I haven't read the Q&A threads in question, but I can see the controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Charge
    You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Surprise
    combatants who started the battle aware of their opponents each take a standard action during the surprise round. You can also take free actions during the surprise round.
    I can see two competing interpretations.

1. Because the Surprise Round allows you to take free actions, you can technically take more than "a standard action or move action on your turn." This means you're not as restricted as the partial charge action requires, so you cannot partial charge.
    2. When it says you're restricted to a standard or a move, it just means you can't do both. Therefore the surprise round is a sufficient restriction.

An overly literal mind probably leans towards 1, but both are legitimate readings of RAW.

Readied actions are clearer. You could, on your turn, move and then ready a standard action. Therefore, you are not restricted to a standard or a move action on your turn. If you were Slowed you could ready an action to partial charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
    1. Because the Surprise Round allows you to take free actions, you can technically take more than "a standard action or move action on your turn." This means you're not as restricted as the partial charge action requires, so you cannot partial charge.
    2. When it says you're restricted to a standard or a move, it just means you can't do both. Therefore the surprise round is a sufficient restriction.

An overly literal mind probably leans towards 1, but both are legitimate readings of RAW.
    If you would follow the first interpretation partial charges would never occur. That is because there is no general case where a creature can take either a move action or a standard action but can't take free actions. Yes, zombies can take free actions too. Therefore it is an inadequate interpretation. Or, if you prefer a more loaded terminology, you could call this interpretation wrong.
    Last edited by Zombimode; 2014-10-15 at 04:05 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A few things:

- Zombies can take the partial charge action because it says so in their monster entry. Specific trumps general.
    - To take position 1 also means that you think Zombies can't take free actions, which could actually be RAI given the name of the zombie's ability is "Single Actions Only" and they have a built in exception above. Then again to your point, the wording of Slow clearly suggests you can take actions that are not move or standard, since it ends with "but not both."

Like I said, it would be an overly literal RAW reading that ignored a much better, more functional RAW reading, but a trollin' by-the-books DM could read it that way.
    Last edited by GoodbyeSoberDay; 2014-10-15 at 04:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I don't see much controversy:

Action Types
    An action’s type essentially tells you how long the action takes to perform (within the framework of the 6-second combat round) and how movement is treated. There are six types of actions: standard actions, move actions, full-round actions, free actions, swift actions, and immediate actions.

In a normal round, you can perform a standard action and a move action, or you can perform a full-round action. You can also perform one or more free actions. You can always take a move action in place of a standard action.

In some situations (such as in a surprise round), you may be limited to taking only a single move action or standard action.
    It is quite clear to me this pretty much declares the surprise round being an instance where you are limited to a single standard action, and thus can make a restricted charge.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwendol View Post
    It is quite clear to me this pretty much declares the surprise round being an instance where you are limited to a single standard action, and thus can make a restricted charge.
    Thats always been my stance, but I've seen it shot down several times in question threads.

Just noticed, the Rules Compendium clears this up quite a lot (underlining mine):

Quote Originally Posted by RC
    Restricted Activity
    If you’re unable to take a full round’s worth of actions on your turn, such as during a surprise round, you can charge as a standard action. In this case, you can move up to your speed rather than up to double your speed. All other rules for charging still apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by RC
    Restricted Activity: If you’re unable to take a full round’s worth of actions on your turn, such as during a surprise round, you can withdraw as a standard action. In this case, you can move up to your speed rather than up to double your speed. All other rules for withdrawing still apply.
    ...so I supposed my main question now is, when readied, do you count as being "unable to take a full round's worth of actions"? I would have to say yes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
    Readied actions are clearer. You could, on your turn, move and then ready a standard action. Therefore, you are not restricted to a standard or a move action on your turn. If you were Slowed you could ready an action to partial charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so I supposed my main question now is, when readied, do you count as being "unable to take a full round's worth of actions"? I would have to say yes.
    I'm not sure about this.

I agree that you can take either a partial charge or a withdrawal action during a surprise round or while you are magically slowed, because in either case, circumstances limit you to taking a single standard action. Moreover, in both cases, as you yourself have pointed out, the Rules Compendium either explicitly (in the case of a surprise round) or implicitly (n the case of being magically slowed) allows you to take a shortened or partial charge or withdrawal action.

But readying an action does not limit you in any way. You're simply delaying part of your turn to that you can interrupt an enemy's action with your own. During a full combat round, you can first move and then ready a standard action. During a surprise round, you are limited to a standard action, but choosing to ready this action doesn't limit you any further; it merely delays the action. I don't see any "limiting" or "restriction" happening here.

Now, there's no rule that says you can't take the delay action during a surprise round, so I suppose you can choose not to charge while your enemies are surprised and charge at them later instead. The same goes for zombies or magically slowed creatures. But this isn't the same thing as readying a partial charge, because readying a charge can interrupt an enemy's action, whereas delaying a charge cannot interrupt an enemy's action.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I supposed thats what I get for trying to apply RAI or RAMS to RAW.

It seems bizarre to me that a zombie, victim of a Slow effect, or character acting in a surprise round has more options than one who has specifically readied for an event...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Thats always been my stance, but I've seen it shot down several times in question threads.

Good to have the RC ruling made clear!

I have to say no to your main question, simply because when readying an action you are not being restricted: you are still allowed to make use of all your actions.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's a feat that allows you to ready a charge against an opponent that charges you. It's called Cometary Collision.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

It seems bizarre to me that a zombie, victim of a Slow effect, or character acting in a surprise round has more options than one who has specifically readied for an event...
    You cannot charge under the effect of a Slow spell:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Charge
    You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles).
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Slow
    An affected creature moves and attacks at a drastically slowed rate. A slowed creature can take only a single move action or standard action each turn, but not both (nor may it take full-round actions). Additionally, it takes a -1 penalty on attack rolls, AC, and Reflex saves. A slowed creature moves at half its normal speed (round down to the next 5-foot increment), which affects the creature’s jumping distance as normal for decreased speed.
    But yes, it is weird that a charge (at half maximum distance) can take no longer than a standard action, when no move action is available, but a character cannot voluntarily charge a target no farther away than his speed as a standard action. I guess it is mostly for game balance purposes, or whatever the designers imagine to be balanced.