New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Ghost Questions

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Ghost Questions

Hey guys I had a few questions and I was wondering if I could use some of your collective knowledge.

I'm building a dungeon for the game I'm DMing and I had the idea for a ghost that pushes people into traps while the party is venturing through the area. Looking at the savage progression ghost template found on the wizard site I had a few questions. Template here

Two questions:
    1) Can I avoid taking the entire template? The last level is pretty bad and I would like to duck out of it at level 4 if possible.
    2) Does my BAB or save go up at all when I take these levels? Also do these levels still count towards the normal feat/ability score increase form leveling?

The last bit of information I want to test you guys on involves this character once it is completed. I was planning on taking two level in Tomb Warden(Libris Mortis) so that the ghost would have blind sense that works regardless of line of sight and I was wondering how that would work with the ghosts telekinesis. Now telekinesis has a long range (400ft +40 per level) but no where in it does it mention line of sight.

So the question is would the ghost tomb warden be able to hide in a secret chamber, know where the party members are due to his blind sense, and use his telekinesis on them without having to actually see them?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ghost Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Leguard View Post
    Hey guys I had a few questions and I was wondering if I could use some of your collective knowledge.

I'm building a dungeon for the game I'm DMing and I had the idea for a ghost that pushes people into traps while the party is venturing through the area. Looking at the savage progression ghost template found on the wizard site I had a few questions. Template here

Two questions:
    1) Can I avoid taking the entire template? The last level is pretty bad and I would like to duck out of it at level 4 if possible.
    Arguably, since the Savage Progressions say you can postpone their levels as late as you want. But you have no reason to, since you're the DM and you care about CR, not ECL. If you notice, the fourth level and the fifth level have the same CR increase, which is in turn the same as the normal ghost template (which gives you the same benefits). Basically, unless you were intending on taking only two levels of the Savage Progression there's no reason for you as a DM to use it.

2) Does my BAB or save go up at all when I take these levels? Also do these levels still count towards the normal feat/ability score increase form leveling?
    Nope, all of those things are pegged to character level. If you're not familiar with this stuff you really ought to read my Monster Handbook, link in sig. It explains how ECL, CR, and the like work in quite some detail, which is all pretty necessary knowledge for DMing.

The last bit of information I want to test you guys on involves this character once it is completed. I was planning on taking two level in Tomb Warden(Libris Mortis) so that the ghost would have blind sense that works regardless of line of sight and I was wondering how that would work with the ghosts telekinesis. Now telekinesis has a long range (400ft +40 per level) but no where in it does it mention line of sight.

So the question is would the ghost tomb warden be able to hide in a secret chamber, know where the party members are due to his blind sense, and use his telekinesis on them without having to actually see them?
    To use abilities like Telekinesis you still need line of effect unless otherwise specified. So you could use it from the other side of a darkened room (don't need to see your target), but not if there's a wall in the way.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    If you notice, the fourth level and the fifth level have the same CR increase, which is in turn the same as the normal ghost template (which gives you the same benefits).
    Actually, the ghost template in the Monster Manual gives you quite a bit more than the savage progression (note the ghost special abilities, how many you get with each, and the restrictions -- or lack thereof -- on both), whereas the progression is a lot more flexible and does allow for PCs to control how many levels they want, rather than taking the full 5.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-10-15 at 11:13 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Awesome you answered all of those thank you! And that handbook is really nice, I had looked at it before and had lost the link but now it is safely saved in my bookmarks.