New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default [3.5] "Taking 4" with SA Dice

Here's a simple idea I had but I'm not sure if it is worth it (or new for that matter). It's an idea for a strength focused sneak attacker using a two-handed weapon

"Take 4"
    Requirements: Sneak Attack, Power Attack, Precise Strike (from the Dragon Compendium)
    What do you do: Convert your Sneak Attack Dice to +2 to hits, and then Power Attack for as much as your to hit increased. Thus: 1d6 of SA -> +2 To-Hit -> +4 PA Damage (provided your BAB => 2*#SADie)
    Benefit: You can Power Attack without screwing with your to-hit bonus. Your "Sneak Attack damage" is fixed, so not worrying about rolling incredibly low. Your Sneak Attack Damage is now a fixed number, so it multiplies on Critical hit. Combine it with Craven and a +1 Keen Falchion for great critical hits

A build focused on this idea is probably going to deal less damage than a Schock Trooper Charger or a dedicated Two-Weapon Rogue, but I think still think it could work nicely. What does the playground think?

EDIT:
    I realise now my presentation makes it look like a new feat, but it is not. This is just a combo where you use the feat "Precise Strike" from the Dragon Compendium and the feat "Power Attack" to increase your normal damage out-put by a fixed number without lowering your to-hit.
    Last edited by A.A.King; 2014-10-15 at 04:49 AM.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] "Taking 4" with SA Dice

Overcomes SA immunity and gets better than average on the die, plus multiplies. Strictly better than SA.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There's a Homebrew subforum for this kind of thing, you know.

As for the feat itself, I feel like Power Attack and Sneak Attack are odd to have on the same character, as they don't benefit from the same style of fighting (big two hander vs multiple weapons). The feat text itself is also a bit funky, but that doesn't really change its function as long as you know what it means (and everyone else does, too).
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Not sure why anyone would take it. Requires a 2h to be any decent, at which point why are you seeking out precision damage? Feat rogue if you want the skills would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

It's not a homebrew feat, it's simply a combo which relies on using the feat "Precise Strike" from the Dragon Compendium to feed "Power Attack". Would probably work best with Sneak Attack Thug Fighter

Play-by-Post Characters:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget though. To help with those that are immune to sneaks ( like immune to crits ), penetrative strike sub level.

Or heck. 'sneak attack' with a sanctum disintegrate wand.
    Last edited by animewatcha; 2014-10-15 at 02:35 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

IMO, the game doesn't really need more options aimed towards boosting damage. There's already a lot of that stuff, and someone who really wants to focus on damage can pretty easily get to the 'hitpoints are irrelevant' end of the pool if they want to. With respect to that kind of thing, this is actually even a bit of a trap option since it combines a lot of badly-comboing things: you have to use a 2h weapon to get the most benefit, but for crit-fishing and optimizing sneak attack damage you want to maximize your number of attacks per round so you want 2-weapon-fighting; you can't do this and power attack at the same time; you have to focus on both Str and Dex; etc.

Instead I think it'd be better to do more interesting things in the line of 'trade away SA dice for guaranteed status conditions'. There's a pretty strong niche for 'no save just suffer' and its pretty distinct from your friend the mailman or ubercharger.

So, for example:

- Trade 2 SA dice to negate 5 points of the target's DR and elemental resistances for a round [stacking]
    - Trade 1 SA die to grant a -1 penalty to all damage dealt by the target for a round, including ability damage/drain [stacking]
    - Trade 6 SA dice to disable a single (Ex) ability possessed by the target for one round [non-stacking]
    - Trade 10 SA dice to disable a single (Su) ability possessed by the target for one round [non-stacking]

etc.

As far as reducing the bother of rolling huge pools for dice for sneak attack, I encourage my players to take average on any large dice pool rolls. No feat required.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    IMO, the game doesn't really need more options aimed towards boosting damage. There's already a lot of that stuff, and someone who really wants to focus on damage can pretty easily get to the 'hitpoints are irrelevant' end of the pool if they want to. With respect to that kind of thing, this is actually even a bit of a trap option since it combines a lot of badly-comboing things: you have to use a 2h weapon to get the most benefit, but for crit-fishing and optimizing sneak attack damage you want to maximize your number of attacks per round so you want 2-weapon-fighting; you can't do this and power attack at the same time; you have to focus on both Str and Dex; etc.

Instead I think it'd be better to do more interesting things in the line of 'trade away SA dice for guaranteed status conditions'. There's a pretty strong niche for 'no save just suffer' and its pretty distinct from your friend the mailman or ubercharger.

So, for example:

- Trade 2 SA dice to negate 5 points of the target's DR and elemental resistances for a round [stacking]
    - Trade 1 SA die to grant a -1 penalty to all damage dealt by the target for a round, including ability damage/drain [stacking]
    - Trade 6 SA dice to disable a single (Ex) ability possessed by the target for one round [non-stacking]
    - Trade 10 SA dice to disable a single (Su) ability possessed by the target for one round [non-stacking]
    Party: Mr. Rogue, we need you to sneak attack our 20th level monk so we can enlarge him.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Remember, this is not a homebrew. It's just a combo I thought might work nicely on a more brutish type of rogue.

Play-by-Post Characters:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    Remember, this is not a homebrew. It's just a combo I thought might work nicely on a more brutish type of rogue.
    something you made up is the definition of homebrew.
    If it's not already in the game = homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    something you made up is the definition of homebrew.
    If it's not already in the game = homebrew
    It's just a combination of feats, all of which are in the game. I realise my presentation made it look like a feat, but it's not a feat.

Play-by-Post Characters:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Nice combo, though sneak attackers are quite feat starved so spending two feats for slightly more damage hurts.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

This might work with a Valanar Blade or whatever that class is called. Basically two handed two weapon fighting with this combo might be good, but probably comes online a little too late

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It isn't a very good combo, 4 is only a .5 bonus per die over rolling (avg 3.5).

There a a few things like Craven that are better damage sources for a Sneak Attacker and for a Power Attacker your best investment is probably going to be in reliable +tohit.

Just a friendly tip; don't use the formatting of feats for anything other than feats.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Hand_of_Vecna View Post
    It isn't a very good combo, 4 is only a .5 bonus per die over rolling (avg 3.5).

Just a friendly tip; don't use the formatting of feats for anything other than feats.
    It might be a decent combo in crit-fishing builds.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with the friendly tip... It took me a while to realize it wasn't a homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Consistency is nice as well. I like to know my damage before rolling and while it is easy to figure out my average there is variation. I agree though, it doesn't really shine until you consistently crit or figure out how to dual wield two handed weapons in a way that doesn't suck or eat up feats.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

There a a few things like Craven that are better damage sources for a Sneak Attacker and for a Power Attacker your best investment is probably going to be in reliable +tohit.
    I know it's hardly a world shattering game breaking new thing, I do think it's quite a nice little thing to use when you want to play a different type of rogue. When you want to play more of a physical bully instead of a the agile sneakster.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    It might be a decent combo in crit-fishing builds.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with the friendly tip... It took me a while to realize it wasn't a homebrew
    While I get what you mean, I thought that the "What do you do bit" was a sufficient enough difference

Play-by-Post Characters:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    figure out how to dual wield two handed weapons in a way that doesn't suck or eat up feats.
    Dual wield a twohander and armor spikes / helmet spike / boot blade / something ?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Dual wield a twohander and armor spikes / helmet spike / boot blade / something ?
    maybe girallon totem for extra hands?
    A single action cannot and should not define a character's alignment. While a single action can have an alignment, a character's alignment is the culmination of all actions taken, and most importantly the purpose and intent for why those actions were taken.
    My Homebrews:
    Alu-Fiend + Lesser Variant[PEACH]
    Benders, Avatar: The Last Airbender Inspired Classes [PEACH]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SciChronic View Post
    maybe girallon totem for extra hands?
    Well, Diopsids actually have this as this as their default fighting style. And to boot, they can ignore DEX requirements for the TWF line.