New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default What kind of action is needed to command a called creature through Gate

I asked this question a couble of days ago, to no avail...

Can anyone help?

I cast greater celerity, then timestop and then gate. When the creature arrives (solar), I ask it to attack the evil wizard, but how long time (what kind of action is this) does it take to do so?

What I want to do, is cast gate in a timestop, which has been cast within a greater celerity. And I want it to attack immediatly when timestop ends, but still in the full round of celerity. Is this posible?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What kind of action is needed to command a called creature through Gate

Quote Originally Posted by Max Caysey View Post

Can anyone help?

I cast greater celerity, then timestop and then gate. When the creature arrives (solar), I ask it to attack the evil wizard, but how long time (what kind of action is this) does it take to do so?

What I want to do, is cast gate in a timestop, which has been cast within a greater celerity. And I want it to attack immediatly when timestop ends, but still in the full round of celerity. Is this posible?
    You can't Gate in stuff during a Time Stop, because that involves targeting another creature (note that gate is a Calling effect, not a Summoning one, which means is actually takes a creature and moves it to where you set up the gate), so the point is moot.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: What kind of action is needed to command a called creature through Gate

saying "mr solar i have just called, aid me in killing "X"" is a free action. they are willed to help you, they respond to words too

4. - Top - End - #4

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    You can't Gate in stuff during a Time Stop, because that involves targeting another creature (note that gate is a Calling effect, not a Summoning one, which means is actually takes a creature and moves it to where you set up the gate), so the point is moot.
    Semantics... the spell says: "Most spellcasters use the additional time to improve their defenses, summon allies, or flee from combat." They dont specify that it has to be a conjuration (summon) effect. Calling a creature is still summoning it, even though it might not be a 'summoning' effect in terms of game mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    saying "mr solar i have just called, aid me in killing "X"" is a free action. they are willed to help you, they respond to words too
    Ok... when would it start acting? Immediately when the time stops end or on its own initiative?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

If you are in a time stop, can you bargain with another creature, I mean, time is stopped. You would open a gate and just look at that solar just blankly staring in some weird direction unable to affect it, because time is stopped. Lets say that you open the gate and the solar can come through the gate. With celerity, you are going to be stating concepts that would typically take 6 seconds to understand in an instant: can the solar comprehend at that speed? You would sound like a fast forwarded chipmunk of a wizard.

6. - Top - End - #6

Ok... when would it start acting? Immediately when the time stops end or on its own initiative?
    the solar would act on your turn after your actions are completed just like other summons, i would say that the solar does not understand your commands or actions until the time stop has ended. it would come into existence during the time stop, think of time stop as being able to take 1D4+1 turns in a single round. so the solar acts after the last round is completed.

since time stop is cast in a turn it happens like this
    your turn -
    first actions of your turn - which include time stop being cast (all of your actions except free actions are taken up regardless of use)
    (time stop actions)
    the end of your single turn where only free actions may be used, essentially this is here to say that the solar first acts at this point, and the free action is talking to it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Can anyone help?

Well, "A calling spell transports a creature from another plane to the plane you are on" while "time stop is in effect, other creatures are invulnerable to your attacks and spells; you cannot target such creatures with any attack or spell". Officially, that shouldn't actually work at all.

Ignoring that, "Redirecting a spell is a move action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity."
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

8. - Top - End - #8

Griffon

Yes but: "A summoning spell instantly brings a creature or object to a place you designate."

If its possible to summon, then I would say that its possible to call. Gate does not specifically call out that one targets any creature. Perhaps the spell works like this, and thats why there are no save allowed or that creatures to big to fit the gate can be pulled through. I do agree however that they would be frozen in time untill the end of timestop, where at that time one could command the creature.
    Last edited by Max Caysey; 2014-10-17 at 08:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Since Time Stop affects only the caster (Range: Personal; Target: You), it would seem unlikely that anything summoned, called, or otherwise brought into being could effectively communicate with the caster until the Time Stop ends. There is no "area of effect" within which you can have the critter appear so that it is in the same time reference that you are, unless perhaps you were incorporeal or something. Your time (d4 + 1 rounds) would pass normally while in Time Stop, and time outside the Time Stop would seem normal to those outside it. The Gated creature would appear where you designate the spell to go off, represented by its "Range" casting component. It could act as soon as Time Stop ends and you can communicate with it, but not before. In any event, while the current 3.x and PF descriptions of Time Stop don't seem to mention it, the actual time that passes is typically one round for those not affected by the spell, and that is your action for that round. You should be able to talk to your new ally at the end of the round if you haven't already used a free speaking action.

Curiously, one form of communication that might work independent of time streams is Telepathy... but that would be up to the DM/GM. It could not be a spell, as according to Time Stop "other creatures are immune to your spells." Maybe Psionic? Or natural ability? Dunno.. but it is interesting.
    "Save your tears, my fetid friends, the dead have Wept enough!"
    The Tears of Blood Campaign Setting Updated 15 Dec 2019
    From the Tears of Blood GiTP Forums 2004-09: "20 million dead. Whatcha gonna do with 20 million dead? You can’t bury ‘em, no time or energy to dig the graves. You could chuck ‘em somewhere out of the way. Or you could burn ‘em. But, but what if those things angered someone, or put a bad curse on 'em? Maybe gettin’ rid of ‘em is better. Just a thought. Hey, you could help us!"