New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Bloodfeast where art thou?

Can anyone tell me what happened to Bloodfeast? The last time I saw him, he was dozing with Mr. Scruffy in V's cabin.
    But last time we saw V's cabin, only Blackwing and Mr. Scruffy were there. And now Belkar is walking around in town with only Mr. Scruffy.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to try to reverse the spell on Bloodfeast (of course - AFTER they finally leave the Mechane...)?
    Thanks to Gorbash Kazdar for the avatar: Edhelras Taladin, CG Male Moon Elf Ranger

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Bloodfeast where art thou?

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    Can anyone tell me what happened to Bloodfeast? The last time I saw him, he was dozing with Mr. Scruffy in V's cabin.
    But last time we saw V's cabin, only Blackwing and Mr. Scruffy were there. And now Belkar is walking around in town with only Mr. Scruffy.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to try to reverse the spell on Bloodfeast (of course - AFTER they finally leave the Mechane...)?
    I'm assuming he's still somewhere on the ship. Maybe he's now in Belkar's quarters? And once they get off the ship they probably will reverse the spell.

Peelee’s Lotsey

3. - Top - End - #3

How exactly will they reverse the spell?

Last time we saw it, it was reversed by casting Dispel magic. I was a bit surprised, because Dispel magic counters ongoing effects. Baleful polymorph is described as "permanent", yet if the creature fails the Will save after 24 hrs, I thought it was a kinda really permanent change. The spell description doesn't say exactly how it may be removed, if the permanant change following a failed Will save has occurred. I kinda thought it might be impossible to remove, then. It's not a curse, or is it?

Now of course the author may reverse the spell any way he likes. But it would be interesting to speculate how.
    Thanks to Gorbash Kazdar for the avatar: Edhelras Taladin, CG Male Moon Elf Ranger

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Last time we saw it, it was reversed by casting Dispel magic. I was a bit surprised, because Dispel magic counters ongoing effects. Baleful polymorph is described as "permanent", yet if the creature fails the Will save after 24 hrs, I thought it was a kinda really permanent change. The spell description doesn't say exactly how it may be removed, if the permanant change following a failed Will save has occurred. I kinda thought it might be impossible to remove, then. It's not a curse, or is it?

Now of course the author may reverse the spell any way he likes. But it would be interesting to speculate how.
    Unless I am missing something, Break Enchantment ought to do the trick.

Peelee’s Lotsey

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Baleful Polymorph is an ongoing effect (it has Duration: Permanent, not Instantaneous), thus it may be Dispelled. However it is not a curse; I believe curses are more-or-less specifically called out as such (most notably Bestow Curse bestows a curse).

Additionally, Break Enchantment can be used to undo the transmutation. (It would be effective even if the duration were Instantaneous.) My money is on Belkar searching for a caster of BE in the city.

See also this ancient discussion.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Im not sure why so many people are convinced that dispelling the effect is a priority or even a desirable outcome. Sure, having a dinosaur of any sort would be cool, but how would they feed it? Where will they get enough water for it every day? How will it fit in dungeons? It might be interesting to dispel it in a combat situation, then have V polymorph him back after the fact, but having a dinosaur in just about any non-confrontational situation is going to do more harm than good.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Im not sure why so many people are convinced that dispelling the effect is a priority or even a desirable outcome. Sure, having a dinosaur of any sort would be cool, but how would they feed it? Where will they get enough water for it every day? How will it fit in dungeons? It might be interesting to dispel it in a combat situation, then have V polymorph him back after the fact, but having a dinosaur in just about any non-confrontational situation is going to do more harm than good.
    Do you think any of this concerns Belkar (past "having a dinosaur of any sort would be cool")?

(Obviously Belkar can't Dispel on his own; but nothing's stopping him from finding a gullible/intimidatable mage in town.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by colanderman View Post
    Do you think any of this concerns Belkar (past "having a dinosaur of any sort would be cool")?

(Obviously Belkar can't Dispel on his own; but nothing's stopping him from finding a gullible/intimidatable mage in town.)
    While Belkar is not the most intelligent of people, he is aware enough of his animal companion(s) to know how to keep them reasonably healthy. Plus, he would almost certainly go to V first for this, and these are exactly the sorts of concerns V would raise.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by colanderman View Post

Perhaps this is his unmentioned business in town that keeps him from witnessing Durkon's attempt to get raised?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator. That name practically begs to be used again.

Of course, he'll probably just show up in time for Durk Malackssen to twist his neck and set the seal on Belkar's hatred for him.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Unless I am missing something, Break Enchantment ought to do the trick.
    I agree. Baleful polymorph is a lvl 5 spell.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Since Mr. Scruffy is now out walking with Belkar, maybe he also has Bloodfeast in his pocket? (Or else he's just happy to be in Tinkertown.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

13. - Top - End - #13

MindFlayer

Sure, having a dinosaur of any sort would be cool, but how would they feed it?
    Where will they get enough water for it every day?
    Both of these are rather easy to access clerical spells.

How will it fit in dungeons?
    We're still not 100% sure where they are headed. Sure, they originally said that it was a dungeon filled with loads of monsters, but things might have changed over the years.

Also, it's possible they can use him for an initial assault on the entrance and clear a path for them to the dungeon.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Restoring him at this point would probably lead to the gnomes trying to kill him.

Of course, given the nature of Gnomish technology, such attempts would likely fail in a humorously ridiculous way.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

15. - Top - End - #15

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Perhaps this is his unmentioned business in town that keeps him from witnessing Durkon's attempt to get raised?
    I will seriously be disappointed if it is.

His top priority should be to acquire a magical device to help him deal with Durkula better. I can't think of any standard magical items that give a permanent protection from evil, but that's absolutely what he should be seeking.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    I will seriously be disappointed if it is.

His top priority should be to acquire a magical device to help him deal with Durkula better. I can't think of any standard magical items that give a permanent protection from evil, but that's absolutely what he should be seeking.
    He could just get something to boost his will save. I know they have the Cloak of Resistance, but I'm pretty sure there are items that just boost individual saves.

Or is there an item that protects from magical mind control? I'm sure there is.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    He could just get something to boost his will save. I know they have the Cloak of Resistance, but I'm pretty sure there are items that just boost individual saves.

Or is there an item that protects from magical mind control? I'm sure there is.
    Boosting his Wis would also help his will save, not to mention potentially enable him to cast spells if it gets boosted enough. I think that's something Belkar could learn to appreciate doing.

18. - Top - End - #18

RedWizardGuy

Boosting his Wis would also help his will save, not to mention potentially enable him to cast spells if it gets boosted enough. I think that's something Belkar could learn to appreciate doing.
    While I can certainly appreciate Belkar's desire for an alarm spell, especially now, it has already been established that a wise Belkar is not a particularly violent one.

But looking back, one could argue that his Wisdom HAS grown with his character growth - around 605 in particular. So perhaps he will shock us all with a spell or two before his death after all.