New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default HELP - Come play my game!

Hello! I'm a first-year student of Game Design & Production and I am part of a team that is working on the game Bumper Kars [working title] as a student project.

Bumper Kars is a game reminiscent of hardcore platformers, but unique in its own right. You play as a bumper car that bounces around a neon-filled city as part of a deadly TV show. You need to avoid deadly spikes and moving hazards to make it out alive.

As part of this project, we also need to do some playtesting, and that's where I need some help with: because I need playtesters! To take part, simply click the link below. It will involve answering some questions before and after playing the game. Answering the questions shouldn't take more than 10 minutes, and playing the game should take about 10 minutes as well (though I certainly won't stop you if you wish to play more!).

The gameplay is mostly finished, but we think it may still require some tweaking to be even better. The art assets and sound files aren't all done and implemented yet, as we're currently in our Alpha stage, but the artists and our sound wizard are working hard to finish all of that up.

For our testing here, we're mostly looking for qualitative data: what do people think of the game? What opinions do they have of its style? Do they consider it as fun as we do? Is it considered too hard or too easy?

One of our programmers is working on a way to collect all the hard data from other people playing the game in an easy way, but since he needs to do all that on his own time, that has not yet been finished.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2015-05-13 at 01:53 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: HELP - Come play my game!

Are you interested in input on this thread, or simply on the survey in question?

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

If you have anything to add, feel free to respond in this thread! The survey itself is of course rather limited in what it asks about, so any further input you might have (on either the game or the survey) would help a lot.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    If you have anything to add, feel free to respond in this thread! The survey itself is of course rather limited in what it asks about, so any further input you might have (on either the game or the survey) would help a lot.
    The biggest one, right off the bat, is a way to pan across the level and view it before beginning. It was really frustrating to die due to picking the wrong angle to go somewhere I didn't know the terrain of, and this happened frequently.

It was especially painful on maps like Boss Introduction 1, where the terrain suddenly shifts without prior warning. It felt less like a game of skill, and more like a grind to get the perfect angles in time. I feel like the game would benefit from checkpoints for some of the longer levels, perhaps.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I was unable to play due to it being windows only, but I completed the survey anyway. Apologies for my slightly snarky answers on it, but I hope the data helps as some sort of a baseline.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

6. - Top - End - #6

I just did the survey. Pretty cool game.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I quite liked it, controls aside.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

The game won't run. Can't find the data folder even though ii is correctly named.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We've had a couple of playtests with students at our school and at a local bar, and it seems a lot of the feedback from those align with our results from this open beta test. So thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    The game won't run. Can't find the data folder even though ii is correctly named.
    Do you perhaps have a Mac? One person's response on the survey was that the game didn't run because it apparently doesn't work with a Mac.

If that is not the problem, I can ask one of our programmers, who probably has a better idea of what might be wrong than I do.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post

Do you perhaps have a Mac? One person's response on the survey was that the game didn't run because it apparently doesn't work with a Mac.

If that is not the problem, I can ask one of our programmers, who probably has a better idea of what might be wrong than I do.
    Nope, Dell notebook with Windows 8.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Nope, Dell notebook with Windows 8.
    I also had issues, also complements of Windows 8. Moving the files to a folder named the same thing as the files solved the issue completely.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.