New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301

Default Re: OOTS #966 - The Discussion Thread

Durkon being proactive
    That's the crux of the matter right there. V knew what she was saying when she accused him of wearing +5 Boots of Inaction.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Catticus View Post
    Why is Roy surprised Vampire Durkon wants to be raised? At first, Roy seemed to be looking ahead to a point when the Order would have a way of resurrecting him. Unless he understands Vampire Durkon is not Durkon, why is it at all surprising that "Durkon" wants to be raised?
    Because this is Durkula, evil shadow version of Durkon. Even if it's still Durkon, it is surprising that a vampire, a creature of evil, is willing to give its life just to improve the healing capability of the adventuring party. Durkon even admitted to Roy that he's evil back in the desert.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Even if it's still Durkon, it is surprising that a vampire, a creature of evil, is willing to give its life just to improve the healing capability of the adventuring party.
    Point of order: if the vampire was Durkon, he wouldn't be giving his life.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    That's the crux of the matter right there. V knew what she was saying when she accused him of wearing +5 Boots of Inaction.
    When was this?
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    When was this?
    Comic #599, Panel 7.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-11-09 at 03:22 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Much obliged! I'd forgotten all about that one.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

7. - Top - End - #307
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Point of order: if the vampire was Durkon, he wouldn't be giving his life.
    Exactly. Plus, this requires Roy to understand that the Vampire Durkon is evil, not just pale, vulnerable to sun, etc., but evil, otherwise it's not surprising that "Durkon" wants to be raised. As for Vampire Durkon showing initiative, maybe; it would at least tie into the flashbacks re Durkon's infamous inaction, but it it still feels like a stretch. My read of the exchange was that Roy was reacting to Vampire Durkon wanting to be raised (as opposed to remaining a vampire), not the fact that Vampire Durkon was taking the initiative.

Who knows, of course, but I'd like to think some part of Roy gets it and understands Vampire Durkon isn't Durkon and is evil, maybe even more so than Belkar. But that's probably because I like Roy and want to think he's smarter than this, even if his guilt and feelings of loss for his friend are clouding his judgment.
    Last edited by Catticus; 2014-11-09 at 08:41 AM.
    Chd - Creator of My Custom OotS Avatar

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think the reasons for Roy's surprise are more related to Roy thinking that Durkon was evil than him thinking that he wasn't Durkon anymore.

Peelee’s Lotsey

9. - Top - End - #309
    Pixie in the Playground

Perhaps I am suffering apophenia...but doesn't that kid look A LOT like Elan? There aren't a ton of blondies in the OOTS universe. Perhaps(and by perhaps, I mean almost assuredly) ol' Tarquin is attempting to sire his own army. What are the odds that Tarquin DOESN'T have a ton more children running around? Could this one be a spy? Would anyone put it past Tarquin to use children as spies?

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by caith View Post
    Perhaps I am suffering apophenia...but doesn't that kid look A LOT like Elan? There aren't a ton of blondies in the OOTS universe. Perhaps(and by perhaps, I mean almost assuredly) ol' Tarquin is attempting to sire his own army. What are the odds that Tarquin DOESN'T have a ton more children running around? Could this one be a spy? Would anyone put it past Tarquin to use children as spies?
    Leaving aside the oft-repeated fact that there's only so many ways to draw stick figures... that's almost certainly a gnome, not a kid.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Leaving aside the oft-repeated fact that there's only so many ways to draw stick figures... that's almost certainly a gnome, not a kid.
    Not that theyre mutually exclusive. However, I find it highly unlikely that Tarquin randomly went around the world harassing women of various human-compatible species.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”