New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 5: No lulz.

Roughing It

"Yeah, it's best to try and stay out of sight. I look enough like a mage to be one to most people, and... well, you know how people here think about mages," Ashley says.

The woods get more and more sparse as they progress down the road and closer to Hedgehaven. This area is more of a plain, suitable for farmland.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

A Dragon and a Princess

When the group eventually reaches the site they are supposed to, they'll find the shattered remains of armor and weapons identical to what the Heavy Knights had been carrying. There are no bodies, either eaten by the dragon or taken by the Knights themselves, but the ground has been torn to pieces, obviously upturned as if someone had plowed it over and over to leave a soft and mushy surface.

Perfect for something to burrow through.

The mountain itself isn't very mountainous, instead it is a large sand-stone pillar filled with small holes that whistle whenever the wind blows. The effect is actually rather beautiful, similar to church organs and the entire pillar has a rather graceful appeal to it with soft curves and smooth wind-worn surfaces. At the base is a large cave entrance about the size of a small house that drops sharply into the ground. Amazingly it seems as light is coming from within, as if there was electrical lighting deep inside, but such wasn't possible here, was it?

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

A Dragon and a Princess

Spako looks about at the strange surroundings.
    "I have a spell to turn invisible and I don't have to actually touch the ground. I can have a look inside if you'd like." he offers to the group.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #484

[A Dragon and a Princess] walk into a bar...

"Go ahead and do that." Ghoul said as she shrugged off of her pack. "Give me a second here... I've got something that will help disguise your scent, just in case." she said while producing a coil of what looked to be fifteen meters of brightly colored cable. It was probably safe to say that with both the coloration and what appeared to be warnings every foot, it was some kind of explosive rather than rope. Thankfully, at least, plastic explosives weren't known to be all that volatile under normal handling...

Hidden under the cord, though, was what appeared to be a small can of what could have been mistaken as bug spray. "Just hold your breath when you apply it. Close your eyes too as it'll sting pretty badly otherwise." she said, holding it out to Spako. The actual effect of the aerosol wouldn't exactly negate his scent but it would 'trap' it very close to his person... Although he might want to wash it off later on as it might otherwise cause him a bit of discomfort. Plus it tended to make one a bit prone to overheating in hot conditions.

Still, this probably wasn't exactly going to be long enough for those concerns to crop up.
    Last edited by Terumitsu; 2015-01-13 at 11:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #485

A Dragon and a Princess

"No better idea presents itself to me. How long should we wait before presuming your untimely demise, or a devilish trick to sneak off and slay the dragon all on your own?" Krait asks with arms crossed, clearly more worried about Spako cheating them than the little man dying on them. One less party member is nothing to get too worried about. Dirty kill-stealing gloryhounds are everywhere, though, and only through tireless vigilance and endless cunning can one hope to crush such questionably cooperative comrades, and shut down such sickeningly selfish shenanigans.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

6. - Top - End - #486

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Carrie nods, following along. Her eyes flicker over the woods as they walk, searching for indications of good places to bed down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    Roughing It

"Yeah, it's best to try and stay out of sight. I look enough like a mage to be one to most people, and... well, you know how people here think about mages," Ashley says.

The woods get more and more sparse as they progress down the road and closer to Hedgehaven. This area is more of a plain, suitable for farmland.
    Once thirty minutes have gone by since the last time Ally has seen or heard another person, she stops to unbind everyone. She doesn't seem to have much to say, being preoccupied with trying to plan for every conceivable eventuality and slipping further and further into character.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

[It Is Being Roughed]
    Carrie rubs her wrist softly. The plains do not bode well for her choice of campsite; out here, they're more exposed, especially if they light a fire. She's on the lookout for, simply, things that could be hidden behind.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

A Dragon and a Princess

Spako follows the instructions after a word of thanks.
    "Say twenty minutes. Though you do realize that you signed a contract, so you only don't get credit if you don't try, right?"
    Spako says, still not very happy with his "kinsman's" attitude.

Still, if no one has any objections, he'll vanish with a trio of arcane words, winging his way into the cavern.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Dragon and a Princess]

"I can carry the two of them." Jazirian whispers back.

He doesn't have any objections to Spako leaving, and sits on the ground to wait.
    "So what's our plan for fighting this thing?" He asks the other two gathered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Halfling in the Playground

[Gilded Green]

"You boys are being terrible," comes the first lady's voice to stand out amidst the din. From the doors of the hall swung wide, there walks a vision of ascendant beauty. Dark of skin and eye, dressed in a flowing gown of white fairy-light, one of the Frescot family's few true matrons steps forward between her suddenly quieted sons. Her hands are folded at her front demurely, but her eyes glitter with an unrestrained mirth and mischief. Her hair and dress flow out behind her like liquid, shimmering, some braids so long they accompany her dress in the grass. Fairies, long since given up on keeping these too-long things from the dirt, flit about her in an attendant cloud.

Beside her, what looks like a human guard or envoy stands watch. She is a tall, dark-haired woman, in colorful red-purple clothes that are striped and stitched in various places. This stranger remains silent, trying to become part of the scenery as best she can.

"Mom! Hey, mom," Adir rushes forward and sweeps his mother up in a hug. "It's been too long."

"Yes it has," she chides, staving off a smile as she leans back and raises her eyebrows at him. "The first time you visit in years and you can't even bring my grandchildren?" That smile - that grin - is implacable.

Adir flushes. But before he can answer, his mother has swept forward to answer Cessie and Sakura. "My children had intended to carry you about on these little thrones, dearest guests. My daughter. Her friend." She seems joyous, if noble and calm in her way of speech. "I apologize for leaving your clothes. One of my sons will be sent to fetch them right away."

"I, ahem," Azren starts. "I'll be about it right away, mother. Please, lady," He speaks directly to Cessie. "Do not trouble yourself."

"I can, perhaps, give you something of mine to wear. And a place to put such clothes on," Mrs. Frescot chimes. Her face falters respectfully, eyebrows twitching together. "If that's alright. I tend to vary in size, I'm afraid, so they will fit anyone who wears them, but... I do not know if they'll be to your tastes."

Well. Judging by the rolling, tumbling avalanche of frills and moonlit furls that make up Mrs. Frescot's beautiful dress, they'd be to just about anyone's tastes. It's certainly better than the simple clothes (or near lack-of) that the other Frescot women seem to wear.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #491
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Gilded Green]

Cessie nods a tad more deeply than for anyone else at Adir's mother as she approaches them. "While I cannot speak for Sakura, the thrones will be unnecessary for me your highness. I prefer to walk on my own two feet." Just like commoners!
    Cessie refrains from mentioning that last part though even if other Hestopian nobles usually did. It might be taken the wrong way.

It actually was a tradition Hestopian nobles had in relation to the nobility of other city states who sometimes had carriers and such. It was to show "unity" with the common folk. But taken anywhere else, Cessie had realized that the tradition only became insulting.
    During all this time she has casually observed the other woman's clothing and found it to just met her standards for public decency. It was a very beautiful dress though, no doubt a lot of work had gone into it. "But I'm most gracious to the offer of clothing. Just about any clothes would do by now and clothes as beautiful as yours would be most appreciated."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2015-01-19 at 10:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

[Gilded Green]

Sakura doesn't hesitate for a moment to hug her mother in law. A grin as big as she can muster lights up her face. "Hi Viviana! It's so nice to see you again. Don't worry, it won't be so long till we visit next time, and we'll definitely bring the kids." She promises. The kids need to know their grandma after all. And their other grandpa. As for the dozens of uncles, aunts, and cousins, that's a bit more difficult.

"Some of your clothes will be great, I'm sure. Better be quick, though. If Cessie doesn't want to be carried around at all, she definitely doesn't want to be carried around in her swimsuit." Sakura looks back to give her friend a teasing smile.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

A Princess and a Dragon

Spako won't have any trouble entering the cave and even has a chance to go in a fair ways before he finds the tunnels getting smaller to barely fit a full grown human man. The entire time there's a gentle breeze that sweeps through the tunnels and he'll spot glowing glass orbs floating around to provide light. Further in he'll find small 3-ft wide tunnels that continually appears now and again. He can also hear the sound of breathing further on, coming from something quite large. Not only that, but he can hear singing as well. It is faint, a lullaby, but it is quite definitely a woman.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

A Princess and a Dragon

Spako slows down his pace as he hears the breathing.
    On the plus side, two sets of lungs being evident here means that there won't be any lame "the princess was the dragon all along!" twist. Thanks for that.
    Without much else to do, he decides to press on, slowly and quietly.

15. - Top - End - #495

Roughing It

Unfortunately, hiding doesn't look to be much of an option right now. If Carrie or Ally looks down at the horizon, they may just start to see some sort of shape pop up - probably the town they're heading to.

Ashley is glad to be able to stretch her arms again, but seeing Ally so quiet makes her worry a little. She shouldn't be, but she does anyway. "You alright?"

16. - Top - End - #496
    Halfling in the Playground

[Gilded Green]

"I can completely understand not wanting to be manhandled by my boys. Go on, shoo! Why don't you go and make yourselves useful," Viviana says, waving her hands teasingly at the stronger set of Frescots Turro had commissioned to carry their thrones. They bow, laugh and start to shuffle off, heading in different directions.

"You too Turro. Please do make sure your sisters aren't burning anything," She orders, tone carrying authority but measured by an obviously gentle heart. The accented young man sighs, smiles and rushes off as well. Viviana returns her attention to her guests just in time to be hugged by Sakura. A startled wave of her arms later and she's hugging the dryad back, grinning gently. "Oh, thank goodness, at least someone cares. You've changed, Sakura. And you look so good! By Yuri, I was so fat after just the first of these little monsters..." Viviana shakes her head. "Adir was particularly bad. I believe he must've been stealing everything I ate, the whole nine months. At least, it felt so. Still very much got fat, yet again." Vee-vee titters.

Adir blushes and frowns very slightly. "Mom, they don't wanna hear about me. Or any of that. Especially not Cessie." Right, Cessie? Back him up here. Please.

"Oh, gods," Viviana says happily, eyes roving, already having moved on to another subject entirely. "You are going to get a lot of attention if we don't change you. Here! Come! Come come come. Adir, you stay here," She says, trying to take Sakura and Cessie's hands to guide them inside. "Or follow. If you wish. I'm sure peeking is out of the question." More matronly tittering.

The dark haired human-looking woman follows just to their right, eyes bright as she watches the whole affair.

"Oh, I nearly forgot. Adir, Sakura, Cessie," Viviana glances over the lot of them, then her dark-haired human compatriot. "This is Gias. My, ahm, friend. And protector." She doesn't-quite-blush, hesitating to relate any more information. In any case, she'll keep toddling forward, once Gias has finished bowing her brief bow to the company.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

[Gilded Green]

"Oh, uh, nice to meet you, Gias." Was that a weird introduction? It felt like it to her. Sakura doesn't dwell on it, though. Instead she turns to talk with Viviana as they walk. "I don't know about Cessie, but I'd like to hear more about Adir." She turns a wicked grin back on her husband. Uh oh! "I bet he was such a bad kid. So not that much different than now, I guess." She giggles lightly.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Gilded Green]

Cessie lightly takes Vivian's hand, even if it made her slightly uncomfortable she had to adapt to the customs a bit to seem more polite. Nodding politely to Gias to acknowledge his presence felt somewhat more at home for her though. "A pleasure." She states with a small smile.
    She isn't too interested in Adir's past though, instead focused on finding clothes and a private spot to change into them. The stag probably didn't deserve this.

19. - Top - End - #499

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Abandoned Facility

Well!
    Velvet will probably figure out a number of things, depending on how much she's willing to read. For example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    -The one with the robot was Linus, which was apparent because no one else there was a parent. Lucille thought he was kind of sappy, but a good programmer.
    -Bob was the only person with any military training, doubling as their robotics expert and security guard. She makes a few comments about how he must be hitting the bottle a bit, considering their state of maintenance.
    -Lucille and her husband George were doctors working on a serum that could regenerate certain cells and potentially revive those that were otherwise recently considered dead. It seemed to have been going well. Lucille gushes about her husband a lot.
    -Beth was focused on electrical systems, and maintained the facility's systems. Lucille thought she was stuck-up and they didn't talk. She especially notes how terrible a musician she was.
    -Vera was the leader of the project. She was less scientific than the others, but was very good at keeping everyone on-task and kept all the numbers correct. If the project had a specific goal, it's not mentioned on account of it being obvious to the author.
    Hmm....

HMMMM!

Absolutely none of that information is the least bit useful. At least as non-useful as the video games. Buuut... now she knows the names of these poor people. Too bad none of them survived... The zombie thing sounds pretty suspect, though. Red makes a mental note to keep an eye out for any undead. That, or living creatures that act like undead.

Science zombies are weird.

Red isn't totally sure what the rules for them are.

She begins poking around in the files to see if she can't figure out what the purpose of the bunker was.

It would also be nice if she found a document talking about the weird book she was supposed to find.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

Abadoned Facility

The purpose of the facility was to act as a shelter and work area for the scientists during a conflict with the organization that funded it and another group (which is named but shouldn't seem familiar). The admins were worried their top scientists might be targeted, and so they were temporarily hidden in another part of the Nexus.

There is a small database listing all the books in the library. The subject of the search is there, but listed as CHECKED OUT. One of the scientists must have had it.

21. - Top - End - #501

[BOOK QUEST]

Well great.

At least she knows that the book didn't explode or something. This just means she'll have to hunt down the cadaver that took it.

WELL!

That means it's time to check another room!

She'll exit the break room and head for that other door she hadn't investigated yet.

Is that robot still looking wrecked?

Hopefully it is.

Red doesn't feel like expending effort on self-repairing robots.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

Abandoned Facility

Down at the very end of the hall is the door labelled FOYER, which slides open easily on command.

The room beyond has the same white walls, though these have a few photos scattered on them, a table here and there, and even a ficus tree that might once have been pretty. To the right down the hall is a door that reads ADMIN OFFICE. Straight ahead through the rounded roomsays LABS.

And to the left seems to be, after a small walk, the door that Velvet skipped through by traversing through cracks. There's another body laying at the door, as if the person almost made it to freedom before perishing.

Oh, and two more of those security robots, both poised at Velvet upon seeing her enter.

"UNIT THREE DOWN. INTRUDER ASSUMED AGGRESSOR. LETHAL FORCE AUTHORIZED" screeches the one on the right as they both charge at the pony.

23. - Top - End - #503

[BOOK QUEST!]

Geeze these things just don't know when to give up, do they?

Several blood tendrils extend from Red's back, take aim, and launch a salvo of organic steel flachettes at the leg joints of the robots. Typically machines that have been knee-capped tend to have trouble moving around.

That's what they get for having insufficient legs.

Whether her attack strikes home or not, Red Velvet makes an acrobatic leap over one of those tables before bucking it, aiming to knock the furniture over and use it as a barrier between she and the robots.

So far they haven't proven to be terribly agile foes and with luck the table will confound them.

Or maybe they'll just smash through it.

Either way, it's better than getting tackled by killbots.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Abandoned Facility

The spikes bounce off of the right robot, but the one on the left has a knee pierced, hobbling it.

The table prevents the robot that can still chase Velvet from using its shock-arm on her, so instead it aims a wide blow at the furniture with its punchy-arm. The wooden thing will be partially smashed and flipped over unless she has some sort of plan.

25. - Top - End - #505

[Book Quest!]

That poor table.

It didn't ask for this.

Red lashes out at the hobbled robot, aiming to yank the already damaged machine off balance and ram its shocky arm into the other robot.

Hopefully those tazers work just as well on them as they would on her.

Shocking!

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Abandoned Facility

Chances are, the robot could recognize a friendly target and cut the power to the shock arm in time. But these weren't programmed with very good reflexes. The machine is shocked, circuits overloading with the additional current. Its eyes flicker.
    ZZZ. SYSTEM OVERZZOD.MALZZUNCTOIN. DANGERZZ.
    Screeches the machine, flailing about at random.

The other machine though, is only damaged in the leg, and tries to punch Red while she's close. Hopefully she remembered to get away in time.

27. - Top - End - #507

[Book quest!]

Haha!

Take that robot!

While certainly flexible and quite agile, Red's not perfect by any means and gets clobbered by the robot. The flesh around the wound liquifies, covering the robot's fist with sticky, sanguine fluid. Her horn blazes with livid light as she aims to wrap several tendrils around the machine's head and begin wrenching until she yanks the thing clean off.

Most robots don't fair too well after losing their head.

Except those Magna-Guards from Star Wars.

Hopefully these guys aren't like the MGs from Star Wars.

That would be annoying.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

BookQuest!

With a metallic screech, the robot's head is ripped off.
    Technically its central processing unit is in the chest, but the head contained all of its sensors, and so the robot is now blind and deaf, and begins flailing in the last general direction is saw Red, its shock arm not even powered up.

29. - Top - End - #509

[Book Quest]

With the robot effectively disarmed, Red discards both head and machine and heads over to the corpse to see if she can't figure out who they were and how they died.

"You lot didn't have a very fun time down here, did you?" she murmurs.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

[BookQuest!]

The ID recognizes this worker as Beth, the lousy trumpet player from Lucille's notes. She appears to have died from non-bone-crushing means, though the damage to her hands indicates that she pounded quite heavily against the metal door before perishing.

The robots continue to make a racket, flailing harmlessly.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2015-01-28 at 09:05 PM.