New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Fallen London 2 - "A Starveling Thread! A Starveling Thread!"

Does the stat you use to become a POSI have any importance? I'm at that stage of advancement, after dropping around 500 echoes on some serious scary gloves (My gloves shouldn't talk back to me), a fine ratskin suit, and a boatload of honey to buy a town house.

I think I'll do the university, I'm mainly curious of whether it has any long term effects.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

The specific stat you choose does not affect your future development in any significant way. When one of your stats reaches a base 200 you can choose that stat to become Legendary which is a somewhat more permanent choice (Well, rather, it has a distinct cost to change it), but above and beyond that, nothing especially important (that I recall. I am willing to say I'm only like 90% sure on this, I could be forgetting something).

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Query View Post
    Honestly, I personally like to leave my Notability at 10 when not up to anything specific, as it gives a 100% chance of success on Surprise Package check, which is pleasing to me. Also, yeah, leaves a nice stock for certain high end trades.
    Notability 10 would be so much work!

I keep it around Notability 5, because I can maintain that almost effortlessly by composing librettos in Veilgarden.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Mine keeps increasing, it's at 7 now and will stay that way for a while without any further action on my part.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mine is typically around 7 or 8, as I get enough Polite Invitations to keep my making waves that high. It can't fall below 2 if I spend the actions to prevent it (from minimum to increase).

6. - Top - End - #216

WolfInSheepsClothing

The specific stat you choose does not affect your future development in any significant way. When one of your stats reaches a base 200 you can choose that stat to become Legendary which is a somewhat more permanent choice (Well, rather, it has a distinct cost to change it), but above and beyond that, nothing especially important (that I recall. I am willing to say I'm only like 90% sure on this, I could be forgetting something).
    Excellent, I'll proceed with my research then. Though given that I'm still at stage 10, getting it to 25 could take a bit.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Notability 10 would be so much work!

I keep it around Notability 5, because I can maintain that almost effortlessly by composing librettos in Veilgarden.
    I been using the honey den in Veilgarden myself for the easy 1 CP of MW per action in exchanging wine. Are composing short stories more efficient?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

What's the easiest way to get Cellars of Wine? I used to rely on Plated Seals, but with higher stats and a Zee Clipper that's gotten harder to get and it always took a long time to get the Troubled Waters high enough.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't know that it's the "easiest" but the most straightforward way is to run Box of Intrigue for 35 Strangling Willow, 50 Strangling Willow -> 10 Broken Giant, 25 Broken Giant -> Cellar of Wine if my memory serves.
    If you're tired of signatures telling you to copy and paste things into your signature, do not copy and paste this into your signature.

10. - Top - End - #220

The easiest option seems to me the one in the Bazaar Sidestreets: 250 x Greyfields 1882, 50 x Morelways 1872, 5 x Strangling Willow, 1 Broken Giant.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would hesitate to call that the easiest, simply the most obvious. That version takes, approximately, 15 Echoes of highly varied materials which is, notably, functionally more expensive than turning (basically) 125 Strangling Willow Absinthe (.5 Echoes each, so 62.5 Echoes of materials) into 5 Cellars of Wine (62.5/5 = 12.5). Not only that, but you will generally also gain a few echoes, or possibly even Searing Enigmas and other useful things during the conversion process, so, ultimately, the Bazaar Side Streets option is, as far as I know, the worst. Though with how time consuming it can be to get and raise Plated Seals, it's possible that that one is actually less *action* efficient. I don't care to try to figure out that number web though.
    If you're tired of signatures telling you to copy and paste things into your signature, do not copy and paste this into your signature.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    What's the easiest way to get Cellars of Wine? I used to rely on Plated Seals, but with higher stats and a Zee Clipper that's gotten harder to get and it always took a long time to get the Troubled Waters high enough.
    I don't know if it is the easiest, but you can always do the velocipede squad carousele in Ladybones a few times - the "shops are burning" (or something like that) gives you 7 Broken Giant, 25 of which gives 5 Cellars.

Edit: The easiest is definately becoming an Author - you get a free Cellar each week ;)
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2014-11-18 at 06:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

13. - Top - End - #223

I would hesitate to call that the easiest, simply the most obvious. That version takes, approximately, 15 Echoes of highly varied materials which is, notably, functionally more expensive than turning (basically) 125 Strangling Willow Absinthe (.5 Echoes each, so 62.5 Echoes of materials) into 5 Cellars of Wine (62.5/5 = 12.5). Not only that, but you will generally also gain a few echoes, or possibly even Searing Enigmas and other useful things during the conversion process, so, ultimately, the Bazaar Side Streets option is, as far as I know, the worst. Though with how time consuming it can be to get and raise Plated Seals, it's possible that that one is actually less *action* efficient. I don't care to try to figure out that number web though.
    Ah, ok, I didn't do the math on it. It is the most convenient option for me, since I usually have the ingredients on hand. Accumulating 25 1844 would take me some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Edit: The easiest is definately becoming an Author - you get a free Cellar each week ;)
    This is why I haven't advanced to Correspondent yet. Well, this and the Night on the Town.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2014-11-18 at 06:58 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Ah, ok, I didn't do the math on it. It is the most convenient option for me, since I usually have the ingredients on hand. Accumulating 25 1844 would take me some time.

This is why I haven't advanced to Correspondent yet. Well, this and the Night on the Town.
    That does remind me. How does one obtain more "Scholar of Correspondence" quality?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Colossus in the Playground

Up to certain levels with various storylets, then at the university, under "shady dealings".
    Resident Vancian Apologist

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Up to certain levels with various storylets, then at the university, under "shady dealings".
    It appears you need to get a minimum level of 5 first. Dang.

17. - Top - End - #227

If you're that low, either try seeking curios in the Forgotten Quarter or cycling through the University semester.

Oh, and the Carneval: Beneath the Neath can, I think, increase it.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

If you're that low, either try seeking curios in the Forgotten Quarter or cycling through the University semester.

Oh, and the Carneval: Beneath the Neath can, I think, increase it.
    I accidentally finished the university storylet first, thinking I could obtain it later. The Beneath the Neath option only gives you a CP of Scholar on a rare success.

Guess it's the Forgotten Quarters for me. Gonna need to find a place to harvest secrets.

19. - Top - End - #229

Why secrets? It's not expeditions you need to do, if you were thinking of that. It's " Seeking Curios and Secrets in the Forgotten Quarter", which gives you a list of random actions you can take, depending on the Airs.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Why secrets? It's not expeditions you need to do, if you were thinking of that. It's " Seeking Curios and Secrets in the Forgotten Quarter", which gives you a list of random actions you can take, depending on the Airs.
    Oh? Well. That makes it so much easier then.

21. - Top - End - #231

There is some opportunity card about dreaming of the Correspondence (IIRC, its call "The Correspondence savages your dreams"), which can increase it. I think you need Nightmares 1 and Scholar of the Correspondence 1, although I haven't seen it in a while, maybe it locks at Scholar of the Correspondence 10 or something.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

Almost everything that grants Scholar of the Correspondence locks at 10. For people inclined to spend Fate, the Corresponding Ocelot's Opportunity card (the Ocelot is obtained via the Formula for Empyrean Redolence) lets you take 1 or 2 CPs of wounds for 1 CP of Scholar up to 10. I mention it mostly because I know the Formula is a generally popular choice of things to pick up, and gets you sorted to the cap at a reasonable pace. Though, admittedly, you probably have to be a bit further along in the game to utilize it than a number of the other options. Or just focus on Dangerous more than I did, come to think of it.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    There is some opportunity card about dreaming of the Correspondence (IIRC, its call "The Correspondence savages your dreams"), which can increase it. I think you need Nightmares 1 and Scholar of the Correspondence 1, although I haven't seen it in a while, maybe it locks at Scholar of the Correspondence 10 or something.
    From what I've read, it's been taken out of the game. Unfortunate, it's what I used to get my Scholar to 10 as well.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

24. - Top - End - #234

Ah, that is entirely possible. I was wondering why I hadn't seen it in a while.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don't worry Szadovar, I'll play that game of chess with you.....soon as you get back from limbo or wherever you are.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Almost everything that grants Scholar of the Correspondence locks at 10. For people inclined to spend Fate, the Corresponding Ocelot's Opportunity card (the Ocelot is obtained via the Formula for Empyrean Redolence) lets you take 1 or 2 CPs of wounds for 1 CP of Scholar up to 10. I mention it mostly because I know the Formula is a generally popular choice of things to pick up, and gets you sorted to the cap at a reasonable pace. Though, admittedly, you probably have to be a bit further along in the game to utilize it than a number of the other options. Or just focus on Dangerous more than I did, come to think of it.
    I have not reached that part of the story yet. Any hint as to where should I start poking around to start it? I have fairly reasonable stats.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I have not reached that part of the story yet. Any hint as to where should I start poking around to start it? I have fairly reasonable stats.
    It is fate-locked, though you need to reach the Fourth Coil in the Labyrinth of Tigers to be able to unlock it (Making Progress in the Labyrinth 16). I believe it was for a dangerous of around 120-130, although I played it before broad challenges were introduced.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    It is fate-locked, though you need to reach the Fourth Coil in the Labyrinth of Tigers to be able to unlock it (Making Progress in the Labyrinth 16). I believe it was for a dangerous of around 120-130, although I played it before broad challenges were introduced.
    Ah. That explains why I never got it. Hm, now slightly tempted to get some Nex for this.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not worth it if all you want is the Scholar increase. It's on an opportunity card unlocked by a minor part of the content.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

30. - Top - End - #240
    Barbarian in the Playground

But it's still pretty great. You need it for the Destiny on my Mantlepiece, as well as for Fallen London's equivalent of pokemon.