New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Chicken Noodle Soup For Your...Soul?

If the weather is good, sometimes I just hit the road and take a nice, long, decompressing bike ride. Otherwise, my big thing is listening to really, really awful music. It's basically the auditory equivalent of eating junk food, but hey.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

My number one solution is long walks. I also don't care if the weather is good or not. Being able to go out in bad weather is why I own snow boots and 3 different jackets. If there isn't a national weather service emergency warning in effect and I really need a long walk, I'm going out.

Sadly, I'm allergic to both cats and dogs, but getting close to that effect is why I still own some plush toys.

I also write sometimes. I keep a journal, albeit with infrequent entries, but if something is bouncing around in my head so hard that there's no getting away from it, I'll start writing and keep on writing until I have nothing left to write about.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Sadly, I'm allergic to both cats and dogs, but getting close to that effect is why I still own some plush toys.
    *queitly scratches 'invite Anarion to dinner' off list*

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a very specific album for when that stuff happens, which is The Who's Quadrophenia. When I get just a tiny little bit of free time, I listen through the whole album.

If I can't... well, then I start talking to myself. If it'd be too weird, I start writing as if I was talking to myself.

But that happens when I'm not at home. When I'm at home and I feel sh*tty, I turn on power metal to a reasonably loud volume and play visual novels.

Nothing says "I'm feeling bad" then blasting out Manowar while playing Katawa Shoujo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    *queitly scratches 'invite Anarion to dinner' off list*
    It's not that bad. I'm good for about 2-5 hours depending on how clean the furniture is and whether you have carpets. I just wouldnt ever own my own because I'd be stuck constantly drugging myself or sneezing all the time. But I have no problem visiting people with pets.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2014-11-05 at 10:03 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

If I'm just generally stressed out or mildly upset, I tend to shut out the house with music. It tends to be from my normal playlists, although I do get pickier with which songs I want.

If it's a little worse, I tend to go out for a walk. Unless it's nighttime, I generally work my way out of the local neighbourhood and down into the local valley where there are less people around. When alone outside, I can process all thoughts running through my head, which ususally means structuring up and finding solutions for problems in assignments which have been stressing me out or thinking up replies to posts which have upset me somehow.

If I'm really down, to the level where I need to completely drown out my thoughts, I'll put on this song. I don't know how, but that song seems to resonate completely with my mind, clearing it of any other noise...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

oh a #5 for me. . . if I have a problem that is emotionally too upsetting to tackle at the moment. I drive. I drive up into the mountains we have around here. Areas that are mostly abandoned and can drive aggressively. At some point I'll be ready to turn around. And it is on the drive back I generally put myself together in the right way to tackle issues that I'm emotionally wrapped up in.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

It's not that bad. I'm good for about 2-5 hours depending on how clean the furniture is and whether you have carpets. I just wouldnt ever own my own because I'd be stuck constantly drugging myself or sneezing all the time. But I have no problem visiting people with pets.
    Vacuuming is the least done chore I can think of, and one of the more necessary ones.

But it's not the chore, it's me. I've been trying to get my house clean enough to invite Gaelbert over for over a month, maybe two, and I can only blame some of that time on sickness. I am just a messy individual with a messy life. :-/

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sphinx cats. Seriously, during my nine-month stint with college roommates, I shared a house with two sphinx kittens - they were sisters, actually. At first, I was worried that they'd set me off because my roommates weren't exactly tidy, but the cost of the room was just too good to pass up. I woke up on several mornings after Gilette and Norelco (those were the kittens' names) crawled into my bed, but they never seemed to bother my allergies at all. In fact, shortly before our rental agreement expired, I had no problem giving the cats free reign of my room.

Might be worth a try if you're looking for that genuine cat experience.

@sktarq Driving is also my brain bleach of choice. Doesn't matter where, only that it's depopulated and somewhat rural. Bonus points if it's also nighttime. Sometimes, I just like to park my car and take long walks down lonely country roads while I'm out. For some reason, complete isolation tends to resolve even the most stubborn case of malaise, especially with the way things have been going lately. I get similar feels when I park at gas stations, long after the employees have gone home for the night. All that light and darkness. A place where we can look into our own shadow and find answers.

Failing that, violin.
    To see the World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

Oh man. I am all over trying to buy Anarion a hypoallergenic kitty. I think a sphinx is too energetic to really thrive under his semi nomadic lifestyle, but some of the other breeds I've met would love his life conditions.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

I certainly can't say it'd the most effective or healthy thing to do.
    jump on whichever FPS I'm playing at the time and just start killing.
    I'm quite into Payday 2 at the moment, there's something therapeutic about stealing thousands of dollars worth of stuff and killing things.

mostly because I can't do anything like it in real life.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Whenever I was feeling a bit under the weather or somewhat stressed out, I would chug down so much Irn Bru. Twas a habit that kinda stuck onto me from my ex, his mum believed Irn Bru cures all ailments.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Oh man. I am all over trying to buy Anarion a hypoallergenic kitty. I think a sphinx is too energetic to really thrive under his semi nomadic lifestyle, but some of the other breeds I've met would love his life conditions.
    *Writes* Don't...let SiuiS...find new address.

Also, while I'm actually a cat person (allergies be damned), my parents and my brother are not, so there's that too.

On topic, I also want to comment that I think the best way to deal with stress is to reduce the sources of stressful things. Indulgence, of various sorts, can be a great coping strategy in the moment, but it's just that: a coping strategy.

Now, obviously, some sources of stressful things can't be removed from your life (like living with difficult people). I find, however, that many sources of stress are related to inexperience and novelty. Work stress, especially, tends to arise when you're being asked to do something that you're not confident that you know how to do (at least it does for me). I think the best way to reduce that is to try and get experience, sometimes going out on your own time to do a little extra learning, or seeking advice from people who already know what to do and not being afraid to admit that you're floundering a little. Even with relationships and other hard to remove stress sources, I think it's possible to learn new techniques for how to deal with people that can deflect or prevent a lot of stress.

So, while immediate coping is great to ensure that you don't go insane. I think the best strategy for coping with stress is to try and learn new things so that your problems don't seem so intimidating and, well, stressful.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, yeah, I completely agree that there needs to be a plan for long term stress
    But I meant to ask more how people "treat" themselves when feeling down, rather than stressed

I think it's really interesting to see how people take care of themselves emotionally

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh. That'd be my only true vice.

Food. Not cheap junk food but good tasty food.
    A good quality burger. Or a steak. Perhaps spicy chicken. Or even sometimes a sweet.
    *pats stomach*
    I did not get this size by nibbling greens.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

*Writes* Don't...let SiuiS...find new address.

Also, while I'm actually a cat person (allergies be damned), my parents and my brother are not, so there's that too.
    Foiled again!

On topic, I also want to comment that I think the best way to deal with stress is to reduce the sources of stressful things. Indulgence, of various sorts, can be a great coping strategy in the moment, but it's just that: a coping strategy.

Now, obviously, some sources of stressful things can't be removed from your life (like living with difficult people). I find, however, that many sources of stress are related to inexperience and novelty. Work stress, especially, tends to arise when you're being asked to do something that you're not confident that you know how to do (at least it does for me). I think the best way to reduce that is to try and get experience, sometimes going out on your own time to do a little extra learning, or seeking advice from people who already know what to do and not being afraid to admit that you're floundering a little. Even with relationships and other hard to remove stress sources, I think it's possible to learn new techniques for how to deal with people that can deflect or prevent a lot of stress.

So, while immediate coping is great to ensure that you don't go insane. I think the best strategy for coping with stress is to try and learn new things so that your problems don't seem so intimidating and, well, stressful.
    Often, in complacent lives, stress arises due to what is functionally entitlement. Not all jobs require one to branch out; all jobs do occasionally force one out of one's rut.

Coping is good in these instances because unlike Thanqol and myself, very few people actually embrace the idea of tackling cognitive dissonance to resolve themselves as a greater being.

This is water. Sometimes you remember that. Sometimes you ignore the hook because the wriggling worm is the only thing keeping you going.

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    Oh. That'd be my only true vice.

Food. Not cheap junk food but good tasty food.
    A good quality burger. Or a steak. Perhaps spicy chicken. Or even sometimes a sweet.
    *pats stomach*
    I did not get this size by nibbling greens.
    Oh, oh yes.

I actually have a small passion for gourmet cooking tempered by mild anxiety over chemistry and lack of experience. I want dearly to learn how to make entire sumptuous feasts, but whenever I get to cooking in so hungry that it's all I can do to fry an egg without licking the bottom of the pan while the burner is on T~T

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Often, in complacent lives, stress arises due to what is functionally entitlement. Not all jobs require one to branch out; all jobs do occasionally force one out of one's rut.

Coping is good in these instances because unlike Thanqol and myself, very few people actually embrace the idea of tackling cognitive dissonance to resolve themselves as a greater being.

This is water. Sometimes you remember that. Sometimes you ignore the hook because the wriggling worm is the only thing keeping you going.
    They're two different methods of dealing with the same issue. Coping mechanisms are what you do to prevent yourself from exploding. And this is primarily a thread to discuss that. There are definitely some common denominators, with a lot of activities being ways for people to get some alone time with things that make them happy in order to counteract whatever is making them sad or angry, with a nice addition of the fact that exercise and good food (among other things) are chemically proven to make you feel better.

But add me at least to the "enjoys cognitive dissonance" group. I think I might revel in it at various moments. The whole "I'm totally unprepared for this and I'm doing it anyway" feeling is one I seek out from time to time as a sign that I'm not in a rut. While the somewhat more loathsome "I don't deserve this" can also pop up from time to time, it at least serves as a good reminder of the importance of humility. Basically, it can be good to be stressed, it just has to be in moderation and you need stuff to do that makes it tolerable so you don't go crazy or have a heart attack.

Oh, oh yes.

I actually have a small passion for gourmet cooking tempered by mild anxiety over chemistry and lack of experience. I want dearly to learn how to make entire sumptuous feasts, but whenever I get to cooking in so hungry that it's all I can do to fry an egg without licking the bottom of the pan while the burner is on T~T
    Don't cook when you're hungry. Really. Come home, have a bowel of cereal or a carrot perhaps and then cook your meal. You could also consider doing it in stages. Make some soup or salad first, eat that, then make the next dish. I also highly recommend getting a Chinese cookbook and a Wok or a frying pan. Stir Fry is awesome because it tastes great and one of its defining characteristics is that the actual cooking part takes only 5-10 minutes.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

They're two different methods of dealing with the same issue.
    Hmm. The feel of the thing as I remember it, it is different. They are different, the textures. It is like feeling out roots on the dark. I am groping and blind. I know these are two different things though they are both roots. Can you imagine it? The feel of your hands in the warm dark of a cellar, running across the dull red of a ginger root and trying to convey the importance of it's topography?

Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps they are both just roots, the ginger and whatever else of different lumps and flesh the other is. Perhaps the other is ginger too. But they seem different to me, and that difference seems important. Not the importance of life changing decisions or the hard and harsh contrasts of comfort and greatness, but the soft and quiet importance of an intellectual crystal thing, where it needs only be acknowledge if not conceded to show that proper thought has been had.

Or perhaps I am simply too tired and too fey just the nonce to really agree or disagree? Who knows.

But add me at least to the "enjoys cognitive dissonance" group. I think I might revel in it at various moments. The whole "I'm totally unprepared for this and I'm doing it anyway" feeling is one I seek out from time to time as a sign that I'm not in a rut. While the somewhat more loathsome "I don't deserve this" can also pop up from time to time, it at least serves as a good reminder of the importance of humility. Basically, it can be good to be stressed, it just has to be in moderation and you need stuff to do that makes it tolerable so you don't go crazy or have a heart attack.
    On good days I will think "I don't deserve this", and then "so fix it". I will take the problems to hand and claw and gnash and tend and feast upon it and rise, from it's ashes or my own, but I will rise.

Other days, I will suffer. I will look back on that suffering and if it was good I will polish the memory and secret it away like a sapphire the size of a fist, mirror bright and kept safe in a handkerchief in my pocket. I will take it out and gaze on it's facets and colors and the scents and memories therein and bask in the emotions I had, sorrow and pain and aggravation and fear, each with it's own texture and sound. Aggravation is like white grains of rice sizzling and running like bugs across a red background, dulled out by sepia tones. Did you know that? Perhaps your aggravation is different. Mine can be.

The latter is simply an adaptation. I do not overcome or grow from anything. I simply enjoy it. Is is a strong soul which can enjoy being sad, and only once have I so despaired as to see no end, no top to this hole I had fallen in. And even then, eventually , my animal self took over and I clawed to the top.

Don't cook when you're hungry. Really. Come home, have a bowel of cereal or a carrot perhaps and then cook your meal. You could also consider doing it in stages. Make some soup or salad first, eat that, then make the next dish. I also highly recommend getting a Chinese cookbook and a Wok or a frying pan. Stir Fry is awesome because it tastes great and one of its defining characteristics is that the actual cooking part takes only 5-10 minutes.
    I will squire away this wisdom and use it to either stock a pantry or outwit a Cyclopes as he chases me, riddling, through his lair. Either or.

One of my other indulgences is whimsy of a sort. Apologies to any who find it less interesting or fulfilling. Sometimes I'm just not human enough to think in clear lines or simple words. Sometimes the complexities arise and demand representation in my words.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

In no particular order:

1. Go for a walk.

2. Play World of Warcraft. Usually a couple of battlegrounds, though even questing or profession leveling can help if I do it intensively enough.

3. Go out and eat a fast food meal while parked somewhere that nobody who I know is likely to come across me, and watch life go past. Usually, I prefer Burger King to McDonald's, though.

4. Bury my nose in a book about military history or paleontology, or read part of one of Zelazny's "Amber" books, which reminds me of my dad reading them to me while I worked on pen and ink drawings as a kid, after he got off work, and he'd read a chapter and we'd talk it over and discuss all the stuff and weird possibilities. That's a good memory, so I read the books and remember -- and enjoy the stories, of course.

5. Clean the house or my minivan with fanatical attention to detail, doing everything just exactly right.

6. Go out and shoot some beer cans in the back 40. That requires me to have good weather and a decent supply of ammunition, though.

Any one of these usually does it for me. Which one I choose depends on time, weather, location, random inclination, who is around, etc. etc.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark