New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Blood of the Dragon (1-on-1 with Prehysterical)

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Sorry, didn't realize the post had been updated

Khamer grinned and shook his head. "You may be indebted to me, but I don't intend to take advantage of that fact. I would consider a chance to meet with and examine the young dragon periodically after it's hatched payment enough. Nothing that would harm him or anything of the sort, but I'm very much interested in what differences may exist between the brass dragons of your world and the ones from mine."

The elf gestured to the chair across the table. "If learning that I'm an undead is enough to make you react like that, you may want to have a seat before I say anymore." He waited to see if Vaex would sit down or not, then continued. "I may as well put this bluntly, as I doubt there's a delicate way to say it, but I ask that you please hold your judgments until you've heard me out. Necromancy is a common practice here in the Veiled Tundra, though I doubt it's practiced in the same way as what you may be familiar with when it comes to intelligent beings: rather than pulling a person's body out of the ground to use as a slave or tool, a necromancer from these lands will ask for the deceased person's permission before animating the body. Many citizens choose to allow their bodies to be animated to serve as either soldiers or as laborers for more dangerous jobs, or simply so that they can continue their previous career."

He tapped his fingers together as he continued. "Animation without consent is, of course, considered a crime of the same caliber as murder or rape, and often punished by death... or worse. The same goes for grave-robbing." Khamer leaned forward and touched the tome bearing a depiction of a skeletal figure bearing a scythe and what appeared to be a lantern carved from a pumpkin. "We share the Gravekeeper's dislike of desecrating the final rest of the dead, and some consider it to be a mercy when the Royal Council is dealing the punishment to a grave-robber. The Gravekeeper's brand of punishment is... Well, let's just say it's enough to make even the council shudder."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

After listening to Khamer's words, Vaex eventually nods his head. "Serving the tribe, even after death, is to be commended. If only others had the same attitude where I come from.

But let us be clear about something: I will not be beholden to present the hatchling to you when you simply demand it. You can ask any favor of me, but leave Forseti out of this. I cannot make that decision for him."

3. - Top - End - #33

"Fair enough. I'll be sure to get his permission, then." Khamer stood and went over to the bookshelves, slowly combing through them. "This may sound bleak or pessimistic, but I believe you may want to consider long-term plans in the event that you're not able to return to Golarion. You're more than welcome to stay here as my guest, of course," he paused as he pulled down one of the books and flipped through it before shaking his head and replacing it on the shelf, "but I don't intend to make you stay if you don't want to. If you decide to go elsewhere, you have a few options available."

Another book was pulled down, perused, and placed back in its original space. "Why can Taalia never put these back where she found them... My recommendation if you choose to go elsewhere would be the Dragonfire Crags; at the very least you'd be among your own kind, and I'm sure one of the tribes there would be more than willing to accept you once they've heard your story. Of course, if you'd prefer somewhere else, the Central Conclave tends to be welcoming of outsiders. I'd steer clear of the gnomes and dwarves if you can, though."

4. - Top - End - #34

Vaex's pupils become slits and he hisses dangerously at the mention of gnomes. His yellow crest rises in anger and a faint chlorine smell makes itself known in the room.

"Gnomes had best steer clear of me."

He calms down and stops to consider his next move.

"I am in no hurry to return to Golarion. Nothing awaits me there but death and failure. The egg needs proper care and a safe home, that much is certain. Kobolds would know how to help with its needs and provide a hoard for the hatchling. It sounds like I need to head west. How would you recommend traveling this time of year? I wouldn't last very long walking up to my waist in snow."
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2014-11-06 at 07:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

"Hm... I don't think snow will be that much of a problem, seeing as the roads are kept clear during the winter and eventually run through one of the passes into the Crags. As for how to get there..." He looked over to the curtained wall opposite the fireplace and walked over, throwing open the curtains. They parted to reveal a large window, which displayed the snow-covered countryside. In the distance lay a serene pine forest, its branches laden with snow, and beyond that what appeared to be rolling hills. And beyond the hills lay...

The tower from your dream.

"Oh, for... I always get turned around indoors, this faces east."

6. - Top - End - #36

A sinking feeling in his gut sends a chill down Vaex's spine.

"That tower... I saw it in my dreams. Is that a bad sign?"

7. - Top - End - #37

Khamer whipped around and stared at Vaex. "You've seen it in your dreams? When? Did you see it before you were brought to this world?" There's a somewhat wild look in his eye, though it appears more like the look of a man on the verge of a huge discovery than anything else. Thinking back, you begin to recall that the tower, or at least something similar to it, appeared in other dreams before your most recent one, albeit only as a fleeting image.

8. - Top - End - #38

The kobold is not encouraged by the elf's reaction.

"I began seeing it a week ago in my dreams, though only faintly. Last night, as I lay down to sleep, however, I was running to the tower in my dreams. You don't think... that it is responsible for my being here?"

9. - Top - End - #39

"Of course... of course, that explains why you were lying just in front of the tower when I..." He seems to be talking to himself, running over things in his head. After a few seconds he looks over, as if just realizing Vaex spoke. "I can't say for sure, but it's increasingly likely that your appearance and the tower's appearance are connected. It appeared less than a week ago, completely out of nowhere, and when I arrived to investigate I found you and the egg buried mere feet from the tower's door."

He clapped his hands together. "This just adds to the list of reasons I need to get inside! The Tower of Xileria appearing out of nowhere in Ves'Perix after being little more than a rumor of a myth for countless millenia, and a being from an entirely different world just days later... All those years of research are about to pay off!"

10. - Top - End - #40

Why would an outside force transport me of all people to another realm? This needs investigating.

"What is this tower? And why do you care about it so much?"

11. - Top - End - #41

"I don't know, and that's precisely why I'm so interested in it!" He was practically giggling as he returned to the bookshelves, quickly digging through the books until he found a beat-up tome. The vampire dropped it on the table and flipped it open, revealing that it was a journal that was stuffed with extra pieces of paper that appeared to be note sheets, though they were written in a myriad of different languages.

"The tower wasn't a big concern of mine at first, it was just mentioned in one of the older books I'd uncovered while exploring some ruins out in the Delgru Wastes. I'd never heard of it before, so I brought it to Rhaegos and Tharas to see if they had any information. They didn't, but they directed me to a library in the Planetouched Isles, where I found more snippets of information. Over time I've mostly just been compiling theories, but some things are clear. The books I've found that mentioned the Tower are themselves older than just about anything I've ever seen, and even then it mentions that the Tower is a myth that's existed for countless years."

12. - Top - End - #42

"Is it an omen of some kind? Some harbinger of disaster or coming change? Surely there must be some purpose or coincidence to it."

13. - Top - End - #43

"From what I've found out, the last time the Tower appeared was on the brink of Ves'Perix's destruction, though the details are hazy. It could be that the Tower was integral in saving the world from destruction, or that the Tower was the cause to begin with." His mirthful attitude faded a little. "I really hope it's the first one."

14. - Top - End - #44

The news is enough to heave a great sigh out of Vaex. There is no instance in which I can't help, if I am to make sure.

"Let's make a deal, daywalker. I help you find out about this tower, and you call our account even. No one better to go through a trapped warren than a kobold."

15. - Top - End - #45

"It's a deal, then." He closed the book and straightened up. "I had a few of my servants set up a camp just in front of the Tower to see if they could find a way to unseal the entrance, so we'll at least have a warm place to stay while we look for a way in."

16. - Top - End - #46

Stopping to look intently at the nestled egg, Vaex asks, "Can I trust you to keep the egg safe while we do this? I dare not take with me, for fear of it befalling whatever fate I may suffer. It means more to me than my life."

17. - Top - End - #47

"Me personally? No, because I was intending to go with you. My servants would be more than willing to look after him until we return, though. Then again... where did I put..." He reached into his pockets and dug around for a moment, before pulling out an ivory key. "I must've left it in my workshop. I figured you would want to leave and try to find a place to settle down once you woke up, so I went to the trouble of making something for you."

Khamer went to the door of the room and inserted the key, turning it as if unlocking the door. When it opened, it didn't lead back into the hallway; it led into a large workshop, lined with alchemical equipment and crafting tools. "Nyx, do you remember where I left the bag?"

18. - Top - End - #48

Vaex follows along, awestruck by the display of magic.

"How did you do that? Is the key magic, or is this place enchanted with secret rooms?"

19. - Top - End - #49

"It's a demiplane that me and a few of my servants put together after one too many mishaps in the laboratory. It's completely separate from the manor, and from any other location that you might come across." He held up the key, and a faint glow surrounded it now that they were inside the workshop. "Any doorway opened with this key will turn it on into a gateway into this place. Much more convenient than having to run back here every time I need to make or repair something, and infinitely more cost-effective than building and maintaining workshops all over Ves'Perix. The only downside is that you can't leave except through the door you came in through; in this case, we'd end up back in my study."

20. - Top - End - #50

Though Vaex's knowledge of magic was rudimentary at best, he recognized the amount of effort and talent that would have to be put in for such a project. This Lord Khamer was more powerful than he had first thought.

"It is a good place. Would that my own tribe had had access to something like this! Have you stocked supplies in case your enemies trap you inside this realm while you seek refuge?"

21. - Top - End - #51

"No, I never felt the need. Even if the door were to be closed and destroyed, it's possible to leave with a gate or similar spell. That's why I installed the arches over there." He pointed to an ivory archway, which was fashioned like a pair of robed and hooded skeletons wielding scythes. "I suppose I could open the door from the inside, but the last time I did that was after the ship I was on had sunk, and..." He sighed. "Let's just say it took months to get everything dried out and put back in order."

22. - Top - End - #52

"So why are we here, then? This is impressive and all, but what are we doing here?"

23. - Top - End - #53

"Because I made something to give to you so that you would have an easier time tending to the egg. Carrying it across the countryside will be challenging enough, but keeping it warm while you're in the northern areas is another thing entirely." He began sifting through drawers and piles of odds-and-ends, until he finally pulled out a satchel made of scaly red hide. "Found it!"

He presented the bag to Vaex. It was well-crafted, and while it had a slight similarity to dragon skin at first glance it soon became clear that it was crafted from the skin of some other reptilian creature. The bag felt pleasantly warm to the touch, as if there were smoldering coals tucked inside. "It's bigger on the inside than it looks, and I've cushioned the inside to make sure that the egg doesn't get jostled around."

24. - Top - End - #54

Vaex stuffs his arm into the bag, surprised by how big the inside space actually is.

"What creature is this made from?"

25. - Top - End - #55

"It's red basilisk hide. A cousin species of the normal basilisk, though instead of turning you to stone they cause you to burst into flame. Still trying to figure out how that works, honestly..."

The inside of the bag was big enough to contain the egg and a small amount of equipment. It might even fit Vaex alongside the egg, though it would be a bit of a squeeze.

26. - Top - End - #56

Vaex eyes the bag appreciatively and slings it over his back.

"This is good. I can even put some coin in there to start the little one's hoard. A dragon born into the world as a pauper is done a disservice."

The kobold suddenly eyes Khamer suspiciously.

"I will not be further beholden to you for accepting this, will I?"

Show
    Bag of Holding I?

27. - Top - End - #57

An offended look crossed his face. "Of course not! I wouldn't dream of charging you or expecting something in return for something that I put together in an afternoon."

Show
    Yes, BoH 1, with an enchant that functions like Endure Elements on the inside. It's also resistant to tearing

28. - Top - End - #58

The kobold clutches the bag silently in disbelief for a few seconds.

"..You made something like this in one afternoon? What do you do, exactly? Where do you get these materials and all this money?"

29. - Top - End - #59

"Technically speaking, I'm the court alchemist and artificer for Queen Serana, as well as an adopted member of her family." He gestured to the workshop and the myriad of magical items and components scattered about. "But, seeing as she actually has little need for my services outside of the occasional request for repairs or specialty items, I'm given free reign over whatever project catches my interest. That bag was something I was working on to see if there was a way to transport foodstuffs through the Tundra without worrying about it freezing."

30. - Top - End - #60

"So, when do we leave? And when do I get my weapons back?"