New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Sproggiwood

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    While I won't argue with you being a dirty rotten cheater normally, I fail to see how using an item specifically designed to provide you with a saving grace is in any way cheating in this instance .

P.S. That's the one I chose and used for a while, until I switched to being able to activate shrines twice.

Your least favourite class was the farmer right?

Farmer.
    Oh, it's a loot thing I can bring into battle. I thought it was just...a thing that is always on

Oh man. Farmer 1, Warrior 1. Wonder what the result will be~

2. - Top - End - #122
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Oh, it's a loot thing I can bring into battle. I thought it was just...a thing that is always on

Oh man. Farmer 1, Warrior 1. Wonder what the result will be~
    Oops, I said favourite, I meant favoured. You felt it was the weakest so far, not that you didn't like it. I'd like to see you take on the next dungeon(s) with your weakest classes (weighting them including the equipment you've gathered for them so far).

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, we start our first new area, The Ghost Fens! And we start off with a pretty short but also pretty difficult dungeon, the Bloated Grotto. Black Jellies are encounterable here naturally (much to my chagrin) but for the most part, I manage fine enough. I'm still not sure on how Frogs work specifically, though. Thankfully, the Warrior is tanky as hell and all his powers are great (though I'm still not entirely sure how to use Dervish the most effectively). I think he's my favorite class right now.
    I'm really happy the Ghost Fens look really different and spooky compared to Sproggiwood, just as I'd hoped. It doesn't at all look like the green meadows on the map, though.

And I think it might actually jump between all enemies within 2 squares of your original square, dealing massive damage. Not quite the extreme combo-strike I was imagining, but still pretty powerful. Especially when you upgrade it to its second level.

What really sealed the deal for this run though was the new fire sword I got. It decimated enemies quite handily! Though yes, I can easily see it back firing if Black Jellies are about. Risk vs Reward and all that. We're also introduced to Purple Jellies. I'm not ENTIRELY sure how their puddle works, but judging from what I see it causes a chain reaction of lightning between all puddles within a certain range. Thank goodness for Shield Wall.
    I loved to see that flow of fire crawl down the corridors and round the corners into rooms you'd yet to see!

Also, I wonder if that lightning will hit enemies instead. In that case: Faraday's cage!

Finally, we get to Rumakko. And honestly...this boss is kinda lame. Maybe it's because I just don't know how frogs work, or because the Warrior is just so buff, but Rumakko seems incredibly easy! He doesn't even seem to do much of anything except punch things that are nearby! It's weird. Point is, I end up killing him offscreen as I farm for stamina from his frog minions. OOPS! For defeating the frog king, we get a choice of his pot or his jewel. I picked Rumakko's Urn because I'm a cheater like that. I'm sure most of you are going to be annoyed at my decision to shackle some of my possible victories to the god of luck.
    I honestly don't see it as cheating, I'm just mourning all the extra loot I'm never going to see. I wouldn't go with the urn simply because Sproggiwood doesn't penalise death enough, especially for a Roguelike...

Oh also hey I don't have any new classes next video so uh...pick what I should use! You have until Sunday to vote. Gonna be an informal vote, no Strawpoll or anything.
    Hmm, tricky. The sheer tankiness of the Warrior is awesome, and at the same time, I kinda miss the Archer for its nice, ranged capabilities. However, the farmer should definitely deserve more screen time, having been left out ever since his short run of Ickykolo...

All things said and done though, the greatest mystery of them all remain: What was Joukahainen doing under your bridge?
    Last edited by Teddy; 2014-11-14 at 12:49 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    All things said and done though, the greatest mystery of them all remain: What was Joukahainen doing under your bridge?
    The villagers react...strangely to the set dressings of the environment.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, time for Sproggiwood!
    I picked Rumakko's Urn because I'm a cheater like that. I'm sure most of you are going to be annoyed at my decision to shackle some of my possible victories to the god of luck.

Oh also hey I don't have any new classes next video so uh...pick what I should use! You have until Sunday to vote. Gonna be an informal vote, no Strawpoll or anything.
    More like annoyed at sacrificing treasure for such a low chance to respawn, but whatever.

Thief, because ninja shenanigans are the best.

Also, I wonder if that lightning will hit enemies instead. In that case: Faraday's cage!
    This is now my favorite use of the warrior class.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-11-14 at 01:07 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Hehe. I giggled when you cashed the Scroll of Wonder; I use those every time I find one, just 'cause I can't pass up the chance for more xp, potentially lethal though it may be. (I also maxed out Academy Expansion pretty much first thing. Extra levels make everything more fun. :D)

And while I agree that the Jewel is probably a better choice overall, that's just because I prefer death-preventing measures to death-reversing ones. I'm sure the Urn will be very satisfying when it does trigger.

I'm sure you can guess my class vote (Identity Crisis). But assuming you don't want to be quite that bound to luck, I say go with the Farmer. It's my favourite so far, and as Teddy mentioned, we haven't seen it in a while.

Spoiler: Identity Crisis
    Show
    Found a highly amusing combo yesterday. Thief's Hide in Shadows (might require level 3, not sure) and Warrior's Charge. The latter doesn't break invisibility, so you can clear an entire room or two without being seen. I might have to experiment with it some more to see what other skills you can use like that.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2014-11-14 at 02:38 PM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, and I just remembered. After first having thought you had Frostbarb Sword from the start, and not Freezing, I didn't particulary think about it when you killed two mushrooms in one strike there at the very start. The one which teleported out of nowhere was still odd, but oh well, lilypad shenanigans, I suppose...

However, when you found the Frostbarb Sword in that chest, I suddenly got a bit confused. Wait, couldn't you hit enemies away from you before? But what about that mushroom back at the very start? I naturally had to look back to it, and suddenly I got it: What's special about the purple mushrooms is that they turn invisible. What I'd seen as a mushroom getting killed from afar and another teleporting in was actually the same mushroom which had been trying to sneak away from you in the midst of the battle!

Show

8. - Top - End - #128

Oh, and I just remembered. After first having thought you had Frostbarb Sword from the start, and not Freezing, I didn't particulary think about it when you killed two mushrooms in one strike there at the very start. The one which teleported out of nowhere was still odd, but oh well, lilypad shenanigans, I suppose...

However, when you found the Frostbarb Sword in that chest, I suddenly got a bit confused. Wait, couldn't you hit enemies away from you before? But what about that mushroom back at the very start? I naturally had to look back to it, and suddenly I got it: What's special about the purple mushrooms is that they turn invisible. What I'd seen as a mushroom getting killed from afar and another teleporting in was actually the same mushroom which had been trying to sneak away from you in the midst of the battle!
    Oh hooo, interesting. They're Thief mushrooms! They really are adapting fast...they'll be a danger for our civilization, I think.

9. - Top - End - #129

Oh hooo, interesting. They're Thief mushrooms! They really are adapting fast...they'll be a danger for our civilization, I think.
    I know! It's almost as if they'll soon have universities and everything!

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

A vote for Farmer for me, please.

All in all, a very entertaining game/LP.

Spoiler: For Rawhide (about OP-ness), don't open it Zodi
    Show
    What makes the Farmer so OP?

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

i'm gonna pitch in with the vote, and say farmer
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    A vote for Farmer for me, please.

All in all, a very entertaining game/LP.

Spoiler: For Rawhide (about OP-ness), don't open it Zodi
    Show
    What makes the Farmer so OP?
    Yeah, the farmer hasn't had much love since... well... the very first level. I don't think it has been played at all since then. (Not an additional vote, I already voted for farmer before.)

Spoiler: Not for LaZodiac
    Show
    Well, I always completely ignore the pitchfork. It is just too weak in comparison to the other skills. It is, however, the only skill which uses only one stamina point, meaning that my farmers always require a lot of stamina recovery.

I first stock up on the bombs, which are pretty darn sweet on their own, but still pretty weak in comparison to what you can do. They blow up in a 3x3 grid, unlike the thief traps which blow horizontally and vertically.

Between level 1-4 the priority is bombs and then ward. With low level ward, you can make the enemies ignore you and run away for a few turns when cow dung hits the fan. But it's level 3 upgrade is the best. All enemies start attacking each other. Yes, you get experience and stamina refills for all enemies that die due to this.

However, that's still not the best bit. The best bit comes at levels 5 and 10. For three stamina points you can instantly heal to full health or full health +30 respectively.

Yes. Full heal. Whenever you want. As long as you have three stamina. Even more than full health at level 10.

Strengths: Lots of enemies.
    Weaknesses: A single, powerful, enemy.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Firbolg in the Playground

Why are those frogs eating each other?

So we're off to save some mushrooms again. If those mushrooms are so eager to kill themselves, why not just let them? You are at war with them, after all.

And... I'll cast a vote for Archer. Haven't seen much archering lately.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    They're super hungry?

I dunno, but I often use it to my advantage when there's a room full of frogs.

Spoiler: Not for Zodi
    Show
    Just wait until she meets the yeti.

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post

So we're off to save some mushrooms again. If those mushrooms are so eager to kill themselves, why not just let them? You are at war with them, after all.

And... I'll cast a vote for Archer. Haven't seen much archering lately.
    My best guess from studying the footage is that if you are in any spaces away from a frog in a Cross pattern, and the frog's eyes are open, it'll suck you in with his tongue. He randomly chooses from any available targets, however.

Because Sproggi doesn't WANT to be at war with em

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

That was a pretty good video. Loads of frogs and some square thing with a sword killing everything. Also, the double take at Mr Creepy was funny. The warrior has ridiculous health: with the right equipment you have about twice as much as the other classes.

That sword was ridiculous as well: 4-6 damge that gets nearly everything in front of you and goes through walls? I wonder if Toady suffered for being so large and recieved an extra roasting? Still, accidently killing the boss is a great story. Can you attack the air and just throw walls of fire at things far away?

I'm going to cast my vote for Archer. Sniping things from around the corner and stuff.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2014-11-15 at 09:14 AM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    That was a pretty good video. Loads of frogs and some square thing with a sword killing everything. Also, the double take at Mr Creepy was funny. The warrior has ridiculous health: with the right equipment you have about twice as much as the other classes.

That sword was ridiculous as well: 4-6 damge that gets nearly everything in front of you and goes through walls? I wonder if Toady suffered for being so large and recieved an extra roasting? Still, accidently killing the boss is a great story. Can you attack the air and just throw walls of fire at things far away?

I'm going to cast my vote for Archer. Sniping things from around the corner and stuff.
    Spoiler: Not for LaZodiac
    Show
    Just wait until she gets the item which powers up fire attacks by 50%.

18. - Top - End - #138

Nope, you can't just attack the air, somewhat tragically though obviously fairly.

19. - Top - End - #139

Nope, you can't just attack the air, somewhat tragically though obviously fairly.
    I've wanted to do this so many times...

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

I want to see a bow with that power. Flooding everything with fire the second you see an enemy would be pretty great!

Show

21. - Top - End - #141

I want to see a bow with that power. Flooding everything with fire the second you see an enemy would be pretty great!
    Sadly, while consumables and items are shared between classes (finding it with one class puts it in the store for all, buying it with one class buys it for all), weapons and armour are unique to each class (each class needs to find each weapon and armour they have available to unlock it in the store, and purchase the weapon or armour only for themselves).

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly, while consumables and items are shared between classes (finding it with one class puts it in the store for all, buying it with one class buys it for all), weapons and armour are unique to each class (each class needs to find each weapon and armour they have available to unlock it in the store, and purchase the weapon or armour only for themselves).
    Yeah, I didn't demand Zodi to acquire any such, I just said that I wanted to see one such bow, as in see the existence of it.

Show

23. - Top - End - #143

Yeah, I didn't demand Zodi to acquire any such, I just said that I wanted to see one such bow, as in see the existence of it.
    I mean, while she can buy that sword as a warrior because she's found it as a warrior, she hasn't found a bow which is quite as good. She will need to find a similar bow through further playing before she can use or buy it.

24. - Top - End - #144

I mean, while she can buy that sword as a warrior because she's found it as a warrior, she hasn't found a bow which is quite as good. She will need to find a similar bow through further playing before she can use or buy it.
    Fingers crossed on that one. Raining fiery death on everyone and thing is one of my favorite things to do in any game ever.

25. - Top - End - #145

Fingers crossed on that one. Raining fiery death on everyone and thing is one of my favorite things to do in any game ever.
    I wonder if one exists. I will admit that I'm more of a defensive player, so I didn't specialise in fire, and am not sure what exists as far as fire goes.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but my thoughts still aren't about buying any such. In fact, I share the same thought as you on the matter:
    I wonder if one exists.
    ... with the added wish that it actually does, so I one way could get to see floods of fiery waves cascade from each arrow impact.

Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes, but my thoughts still aren't about buying any such. In fact, I share the same thought as you on the matter:

... with the added wish that it actually does, so I one way could get to see floods of fiery waves cascade from each arrow impact.
    I really want to know which way the fire would go. Logically, it should run away from you, but you never know.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

28. - Top - End - #148

Is it Monday yet?

29. - Top - End - #149

Yes Rawhide, it is in fact Monday. Didn't do a midnight release because I wanted to get SOME sleep for my work this week

Zodi Plays: Sproggiwood [5] A Charlotte's Web Joke

Video Length: 15:16

Note: A steam friend popped up in the video! Does anyone know how to remove steam pop ups so this doesn't happen?

And so begins the next dungeon! Trusty vampiric pitchfork in tow, we head off! And boy let me tell you, I've gotten a newfound appreciation for the Farmer fellow. He's tanky as all hell, and the scarecrow is an amazing ability. And with the pumpkin bombs to quickly make work of Jellies, it's pretty clear that the Farmer is a great class. And for once I didn't find some super broken mega weapon, so this is all on our powers. Cornucopia in particular allowed me to beat Mr Creepy rather soundly. Also, turns out Mr Creepy is good friends with Big Ick, as he too is rife with interesting discourse and discussion.

Plot wise this episode we uh...encounter a strange Cloghead. A little less strange because we saw some in a previous episode due to scroll or shrine tomfoolery. As for the mushrooms? They're infected with vampirism! Uh oh! Sproggi wants us to go to the vampire cave to kill the head vampire, an evil wisp monster. He wants us to contain the vampirism...and from a certain perspective this will be correct

==============

Judging from the fact that we saved a wisp from Mr Creepy's dungeon, and the next one is full of wisps, and just a general theory of mine, I think the Ghostfens are supposed to be Kyopelinvuori. It's a place where dead women haunt (and the Wisp we met this episode is female, I think). It's a place where dead father and witches come together and stuff, so it's clearly intended to be all spooky and stuff. But aside from that, I also think it might have a connection to Aarnivalkea, which are magical places where Will o Wisps gather to denote that fairy gold and other treasures are in hiding. Since there are Wisps around, that seems appropriate a theory. Though now I'm wondering...how does a wisp of fairy fire gain vampirism, exactly?

30. - Top - End - #150

Yes Rawhide, it is in fact Monday.
    Woo, it's Monday!

Note: A steam friend popped up in the video! Does anyone know how to remove steam pop ups so this doesn't happen?
    You can log off the Steam chat program. Or do you mean something less drastic?

And so begins the next dungeon! Trusty vampiric pitchfork in tow, we head off! And boy let me tell you, I've gotten a newfound appreciation for the Farmer fellow. He's tanky as all hell, and the scarecrow is an amazing ability. And with the pumpkin bombs to quickly make work of Jellies, it's pretty clear that the Farmer is a great class. And for once I didn't find some super broken mega weapon, so this is all on our powers. Cornucopia in particular allowed me to beat Mr Creepy rather soundly. Also, turns out Mr Creepy is good friends with Big Ick, as he too is rife with interesting discourse and discussion.
    What have I been saying?

Granted, most of this has been in spoilers which you still shouldn't open. But I did say the farmer was more powerful than you gave it credence for a few times out in the open.