New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Sproggiwood

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Oh man just realized we've been focused so much on the stupid bloody fish we haven't discussed how actually fantastic Big Ick is in this episode.
    That's probably just because we all unambiguously agree on it.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

Point! Also you best be prepared tomorrow I'm gonna throw a bonus video at you!

"But Zodi you don't have a class unlocked yet what could it be?"

You'll find out!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh man just realized we've been focused so much on the stupid bloody fish we haven't discussed how actually fantastic Big Ick is in this episode.
    It's at times like that I hate game designers for forcing you to fight. Where's the 'Negotiate' command? Or even the 'defect' command? The 'slap Sproggi upside the head' command?

Long live the Jelly Teacher!
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    It's at times like that I hate game designers for forcing you to fight. Where's the 'Negotiate' command? Or even the 'defect' command? The 'slap Sproggi upside the head' command?

Nah, this is why I like rogue-likes; no important plot decisions rest in your hands, only tactical ones.
    A few odds and ends.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

That's kinda the point here. There is no good or evil, just two different nations who have gone to war over a misunderstanding, and basically passed the point of no return. Attempting to negotiate would just be seen as yet another trick.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    That's kinda the point here. There is no good or evil, just two different nations who have gone to war over a misunderstanding, and basically passed the point of no return. Attempting to negotiate would just be seen as yet another trick.
    This, basically. It's allll Sproggi's fault, too. I wonder how the original world got so chaotic'd up and stuff. Oh hey a bonus video.

Zodi Plays: Sproggiwood [B.5] Achievement Unlocked

Video Length: 1:45

Okay so in retrospect it might of been better to include more of my failed runs, but then basically all of my runs consisted of "well I have been trapped in a hall and don't have a means of teleportation."

Anyway, onto the challenge at hand! The achievement here is the one achievement I don't see me realistically getting without ACTIVELY grinding for it. There is one other that I might have to, but then again I might not we'll see how bloated the coming dungeons get with swarms of enemies. The achievement in question is "Quasi-Pacifist" and it requires you to beat a dungeon killing no one but the dungeon boss. This is much harder then it sounds and I think the only possible way to do it is in Ickykolo. My load out includes a Teleport Scroll for when I get stuck, Dungaree's of Vitality so that I don't die from the damage I have to take, and any weapon that doesn't kill everything in sight since...that's not what I want to do. I also have the Urn in case I don't cut it, but the Urn's really not actually procing...ever, so that's an issue.

Full disclosure, I've actually completed this challenge twice. The first time for whatever reason it didn't register so I had to do it again. Yay! Truth be told it didn't actually take that long, and I...really should of left in a FEW more failures to make the video a little longer. But hey, not every video's gonna be 17 minutes of failure.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2014-11-26 at 11:15 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Plus, I sort of get the feeling that the clogheads obey without questioning. I mean, the first one was basically tricked through a portal by someone who claimed to be their new overlord and told them to go kill a revolutionary, and their reaction was of "sure, I'll do that"...

This, basically. It's allll Sproggi's fault, too. I wonder how the original world got so chaotic'd up and stuff. Oh hey a bonus video.

Okay so in retrospect it might of been better to include more of my failed runs, but then basically all of my runs consisted of "well I have been trapped in a hall and don't have a means of teleportation."

Anyway, onto the challenge at hand! The achievement here is the one achievement I don't see me realistically getting without ACTIVELY grinding for it. There is one other that I might have to, but then again I might not we'll see how bloated the coming dungeons get with swarms of enemies. The achievement in question is "Quasi-Pacifist" and it requires you to beat a dungeon killing no one but the dungeon boss. This is much harder then it sounds and I think the only possible way to do it is in Ickykolo. My load out includes a Teleport Scroll for when I get stuck, Dungaree's of Vitality so that I don't die from the damage I have to take, and any weapon that doesn't kill everything in sight since...that's not what I want to do. I also have the Urn in case I don't cut it, but the Urn's really not actually procing...ever, so that's an issue.

Full disclosure, I've actually completed this challenge twice. The first time for whatever reason it didn't register so I had to do it again. Yay! Truth be told it didn't actually take that long, and I...really should of left in a FEW more failures to make the video a little longer. But hey, not every video's gonna be 17 minutes of failure.
    Hmm, achievement runs isn't a bad idea for bonus videos. I think you should try to combine any future ones with new class-dungeon combos as well.

Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, yeah, that one would be really hard to do outside Ickykolo. I did it with 40% teleport armour, but it still took several tries, including one fake success. (Scroll of Pottery? Still counts as a kill, as it turns out.)
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Hmm, achievement runs isn't a bad idea for bonus videos. I think you should try to combine any future ones with new class-dungeon combos as well.
    I would love to do this if not for the fact that the last non story achievement is "kill ten people at once".

Quote Originally Posted by Sallera View Post
    Heh, yeah, that one would be really hard to do outside Ickykolo. I did it with 40% teleport armour, but it still took several tries, including one fake success. (Scroll of Pottery? Still counts as a kill, as it turns out.)
    What's weird is I think my fake success was because I had killed an enemy in a previous run, and then went "retry" instead of just leaving the dungeon"

10. - Top - End - #220

As you have no means of gaining levels, the class doesn't matter. I equipped myself with a vest that gave me a 40% chance to take no damage and teleport (very handy, as it can teleport you out of being surrounded), the weakest ice weapon (affects only the creature hit), and a scroll of teleportation. Took me a few runs too, on the first dungeon.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #221

Just thought I should note, Sproggiwood is currently 20% off on the Steam sale. It could potentially go down lower, you never know, but I doubt it would be by much given that this is a new game. So, depending on how much of a hurry you are in to play, you could either buy now and start playing immediately, or put it on your wishlist and see if it goes down lower, then buy it on the last day if not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallera View Post
    Edit: On a related note,
    Spoiler: Final class
    Show
    Have you noticed any odd behaviour with summoned yetis, Rawhide (or anyone else who's been playing)? I haven't confirmed it, but I've noticed that my yetis are suspiciously effective when clubbing their way through areas I haven't explored yet, leading me to wonder whether enemies in FOW areas don't take actions until you discover them. This would be a method of reducing processor load I could see someone thinking of...
    Spoiler: Best not open these Zodi
    Show
    No, I hadn't noticed that, but that's almost certainly because I almost never used summoning and had not played much with the final class. I went ahead and did so, finishing every level with it, to try this out, and it does seem to be possible that this is the case.

I would love to do this if not for the fact that the last non story achievement is "kill ten people at once".
    Spoiler: Up to you to decide if you open this one or not, LaZodiac. I'm talking about how I achieved this one. You may consider this a spoiler or not, you decide.
    Show
    Black jellies, final class, spamming fireball while they multiplied in front of me.

12. - Top - End - #222

Friday says "Time for more Sproggiwood" and Zodi just nods and uploads.

Zodi Plays: Sproggiwood [8] Mushroomy Revenge

Video Length: 10:36

...okay I'm going to be blunt here there actually isn't very much to talk about this dungeon. It's basically literally the last dungeon, but without Big Ick. I'm playing as the Archer here since it won the last vote last time, but I cheated and picked Identity Crisis anyway. For shame and such. That said, lets at least discuss some of what happens here.

First of all, for the first time, I successfully kill a happy mate fish! Hooray! I spit on your grave! We also get more of a dialogue with Sapius, who's leveled up and is now Sapius the Wiser. All this means for us is he's stronger, has more clones, and explodes more often. Nothing our cheaty arrows of doom can't deal with.

The important part is what happens after we succeed. Uh...it seems Sproggi has decided he's fully into the genocide of the Mushrooms for the good of all Clogghead kind! I'm sure this'll go over well. But hey, we finally unlocked the last class, the WIZARD!

=====================

Oh hey I actually have a Mythology thing to talk aboooout! One of the villages we got today is called Sampo, and this is a reference to something in the mythology and thus good a reason as any to talk about it.

The Sampo, sometimes known as the Sammas, is a magical artifact from Finnish Mythology. No one exactly knows what it looks like, but it was constructed by Ilmarinen (a smith god), which gives the holder intense love. Ilmarinen also forged the sky dome made from the waterfowl's egg, so the dude's pretty good at his job.

The Sampo has been interpreted in many ways. Sometimes as a "world pillar" and sometimes as an astrolabe. Other times still as a box with treasure inside, and sometimes further as a Byzantine Shield. The description of it in the Kalevala, as interpreted by the compiler Lonnrot, is a mill that brings endless grain and flour and stuff. The world pillar one is the one most people accept, though.

Ilmarin makes the Sampo in order to get a girlfriend (he was unlucky in love, you see. Also this is a gross simplification if I explained the exact specifics of it we'd be here all day) and later on it was stolen by the sorceress Louhi, a shape changing wizard who's not very nice. She later fights Vainaminen, the central character of the epic poem, but both her and the Sampo are destroyed in the fight.

The Sampo is an interesting thing because, in the verses describing it, it's clearly got that "endlessly flowing of stuff" thing going on. It's basically the Finnish version of the Cornucopia, though instead of being a big old horn that spills out food and drink, it's some kind of huge pillar thing that spews out flour, grain, salt, and coin from it's four sides. It's lid is also a rainbow. Mythology's weird like that. Cool though.

13. - Top - End - #223

...okay I'm going to be blunt here there actually isn't very much to talk about this dungeon. It's basically literally the last dungeon, but without Big Ick. I'm playing as the Archer here since it won the last vote last time, but I cheated and picked Identity Crisis anyway. For shame and such. That said, lets at least discuss some of what happens here.

First of all, for the first time, I successfully kill a happy mate fish! Hooray! I spit on your grave! We also get more of a dialogue with Sapius, who's leveled up and is now Sapius the Wiser. All this means for us is he's stronger, has more clones, and explodes more often. Nothing our cheaty arrows of doom can't deal with.

The important part is what happens after we succeed. Uh...it seems Sproggi has decided he's fully into the genocide of the Mushrooms for the good of all Clogghead kind! I'm sure this'll go over well. But hey, we finally unlocked the last class, the WIZARD!
    You really don't like those fish, do you?

Wooo, wizard. I guess we know what class you're playing for the next level.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

And yet you could have been even more trigger happy with your bow!

Yay about the happy mate fish, though. I silently cheered when I saw it die. If you'd used the piercing arrow a bit more often, you could potentially have killed another pair or two, or gotten out of a few jelly swarms...

Nice use of the fireball, though!

Wow, yeah, this is pretty grave...

Oh hey I actually have a Mythology thing to talk aboooout! One of the villages we got today is called Sampo, and this is a reference to something in the mythology and thus good a reason as any to talk about it.

The Sampo, sometimes known as the Sammas, is a magical artifact from Finnish Mythology. No one exactly knows what it looks like, but it was constructed by Ilmarinen (a smith god), which gives the holder intense love. Ilmarinen also forged the sky dome made from the waterfowl's egg, so the dude's pretty good at his job.

The Sampo has been interpreted in many ways. Sometimes as a "world pillar" and sometimes as an astrolabe. Other times still as a box with treasure inside, and sometimes further as a Byzantine Shield. The description of it in the Kalevala, as interpreted by the compiler Lonnrot, is a mill that brings endless grain and flour and stuff. The world pillar one is the one most people accept, though.

Ilmarin makes the Sampo in order to get a girlfriend (he was unlucky in love, you see. Also this is a gross simplification if I explained the exact specifics of it we'd be here all day) and later on it was stolen by the sorceress Louhi, a shape changing wizard who's not very nice. She later fights Vainaminen, the central character of the epic poem, but both her and the Sampo are destroyed in the fight.

The Sampo is an interesting thing because, in the verses describing it, it's clearly got that "endlessly flowing of stuff" thing going on. It's basically the Finnish version of the Cornucopia, though instead of being a big old horn that spills out food and drink, it's some kind of huge pillar thing that spews out flour, grain, salt, and coin from it's four sides. It's lid is also a rainbow. Mythology's weird like that. Cool though.
    And thus we learned that in Finland, love takes the form of flour, grain, salt and money...

Quite fascinating, though...

Show

15. - Top - End - #225

You really don't like those fish, do you?

Wooo, wizard. I guess we know what class you're playing for the next level.
    They're up there with Black Jellies and Spider Spawners in "horrific deadly monsters that are kill on sight". Roguelikes train you by killing you super dead to the point that you go out of your way to kill the things responsible.

And thus we learned that in Finland, love takes the form of flour, grain, salt and money...

Quite fascinating, though...
    It's complicated.

And yup! I love reading about mythologies and stuff.

16. - Top - End - #226

Have you discovered what happens if you accidentally press "R" yet?

Also, found this on the interwebs:
    Spoiler: Image
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227

Have you discovered what happens if you accidentally press "R" yet?

Show
    Nope!

Cute!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    And now I want a Santa class.

Of course, if there was, I'd be elitistic and say there are much better names, because we Nordics are cool like that.

Show

19. - Top - End - #229

Of course, if there was, I'd be elitistic and say there are much better names, because we Nordics are cool like that.
    Bountiful lord of pig slaughter class, if my research (read: I read Hogfather) is any indication.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, I was thinking of "tonttu" ("tomte" in Swedish). Has a better history too.

Show

21. - Top - End - #231

Elitistic? That's a new one . Only commenting because English isn't your first language, and you probably do want to know more about the construction of our words. Simply elitist would do there, no need to add anything (like "ic").

Nah, I was thinking of "tonttu" ("tomte" in Swedish). Has a better history too.
    These creatures? They look like gnomes! (Similar to the garden gnome variety, but different.)

22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground

=====================

At least Sproggi's a bit regretful about genociding the mushrooms. Right now, war is inevitable. Remember when you were a sheep farmer with nothing trying to kill you or teach you Latin? Those were the days.

Still, there's a new class. I'm expecting lots of fire and summoning in your own interdimensional allies, but Wizard can really mean anything.

I've heard of the Sampo before! I can't remember the exact details, but I do remember the name Vainaminen. As far as I remember, there was a fight with a witch who used the materials around her to escape death by transforming into a bird with sails for wings and sickles for claws. In the fight, the Sampo was damaged and then lost over the side of a ship. As the salt mill was the only part still working, the seas became salty instead of filled with money or making the biggest ball of dough in the universe. If that's part of the Kalevala, I think my reading list will need updating.

Ilmanien sounds like a pretty poor god. Most other gods would have made a girlfriend from mildew and toenail clippings or something.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

23. - Top - End - #233

At least Sproggi's a bit regretful about genociding the mushrooms. Right now, war is inevitable. Remember when you were a sheep farmer with nothing trying to kill you or teach you Latin? Those were the days.

Still, there's a new class. I'm expecting lots of fire and summoning in your own interdimensional allies, but Wizard can really mean anything.

I've heard of the Sampo before! I can't remember the exact details, but I do remember the name Vainaminen. As far as I remember, there was a fight with a witch who used the materials around her to escape death by transforming into a bird with sails for wings and sickles for claws. In the fight, the Sampo was damaged and then lost over the side of a ship. As the salt mill was the only part still working, the seas became salty instead of filled with money or making the biggest ball of dough in the universe. If that's part of the Kalevala, I think my reading list will need updating.

Ilmanien sounds like a pretty poor god. Most other gods would have made a girlfriend from mildew and toenail clippings or something.
    Ah, the good ole days. Farmer Cloghead just wants to go back to his sheep, man.

Seems accurate. I've got the bonus video ready and it'll probably be up tomorrow

Yup, that's the story! It's a good one, though the bit about her using bits of the ship to transform is new, I'll have to keep that in mind.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

I really do need to get a copy of the Kalevala. I'm living in Finland now, I can't not read it.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Elitistic? That's a new one . Only commenting because English isn't your first language, and you probably do want to know more about the construction of our words. Simply elitist would do there, no need to add anything (like "ic").
    Ahh, thanks! And yeah, most of the times when I want to use a word with Greek or Latin roots which I lack greater familiarity with, I just swap the Swedish suffix for it's English equivalent, because that usually works. However, sometimes it's a miss...

These creatures? They look like gnomes! (Similar to the garden gnome variety, but different.)
    Well, yes, they definitely share the same looks. The garden gnome seems to lack any actual history beyond "people made these for their gardens since the dawn of time" if Wikipedia is to be trusted, though...

Hehehe, this is brilliant!

Oooh, this is an interesting take on salinity.

Hehehe...

Show

26. - Top - End - #236

Well, yes, they definitely share the same looks. The garden gnome seems to lack any actual history beyond "people made these for their gardens since the dawn of time" if Wikipedia is to be trusted, though...
    There was a children's TV series about David the Gnome, and a series of books which I think my parents still have...

27. - Top - End - #237

There was a children's TV series about David the Gnome, and a series of books which I think my parents still have...
    You are the third person in all of existence to have confirmed that that show was actually a thing, much to the probable happiness of the first guy cause after describing it (and it's ending) he said he wasn't actually sure if it existed or not.

...oh, Zodi, dropping references to videos you watch in your thread. Such bad form.

28. - Top - End - #238

You are the third person in all of existence to have confirmed that that show was actually a thing, much to the probable happiness of the first guy cause after describing it (and it's ending) he said he wasn't actually sure if it existed or not.

...oh, Zodi, dropping references to videos you watch in your thread. Such bad form.
    Reference to which video?

29. - Top - End - #239

Reference to which video?
    An old Freelance Astronauts video.

Also I am uploading a wizard!

30. - Top - End - #240

Also I am uploading a wizard!
    No, no! Not when I can't watch it! :smallpout: