Daemon

Default CTP's Jade Regent IC I

CTP Presents:
    Jade Regent
    Chapter 1: The Brinewall Legacy
    Part One: Fires Over Brinestump

Moonday, Lamashan 1st, 4712 AR; Evening

Arra

A brazier of glowing coals adds welcome warmth to the confines of Koya Mvashti's tent. Even though she inherited her late mother's house in Sandpoint, the old Varisian woman seems to prefer her nomadic quarters in Sandru's caravan. Strings of multicolored beads hand from the fabric ceiling, many of them terminating in ornate glass butterflies, the symbol of the deity Koya honors above all others. The soothing scent of incense fills the air as she pours over yet another spread of Harrow cards.

Arra sits on a thick mat on the floor of the tent, waiting for her adoptive mother to speak. They did not need to converse to enjoy each others' company; many an hour they had passed in pleasant silence, or perhaps accompanied by faint music from somewhere else in the caravan. But Koya had called Arra to her tent to discuss her portents and omens, and based on the exact wording of the summons, Arra knew the divination would not be a trifling one.

At last, Koya opens her eyes, still sparkling with wit and life, two orbs of youth within a time-weathered face.
    "Arra, child, I see much in the cards. I see a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis, vulnerable to the world. You must spread your wings, child, and allow them to dry. But when they do, oh! they will be beautiful, and all the world shall see your dance. But there is darkness on the horizon. The wheels of destiny are turning, turning, and we are all wrapped up in its complex loom. The cards keep pointing to fire and water, to restless bones, to secrets. You must go south before going north, they say."
    She pauses, breathing deep. Then she smiles, a warm, familiar sight you've come to love.
    "Why don't you head into town tonight? Sandru went down to the Rusty Dragon to relax and make merry. You won't lack for familiar company there. I think fate wants you there, child. You've nothing to fear, dear."

The Rusty Dragon

In the northwest part of Sandpoint stands the Rusty Dragon Inn, a favorite spot for locals and adventurers passing through town. Owned and operated by the lovely-as-she-is-witty Ameiko Kaijitsu, strong drink, lively music, and spicy food are all available at reasonable prices.

It's a relatively slow night at the Dragon. A few fishermen sit at the bar, brooding into their cups. A smattering of regulars pass the time with card games. Sandru Vhiski the caravan owner is there, which is somewhat rare, even when he's in town. He plays dice with a pair of Varisian men in a corner, his back to the rest of the common room.

The talk of the town seems to be goblins; the Licktoad tribe's acquisition of fireworks has many people worried, and just as many vaguely bemused. Never taking a goblin threat sitting down, the beautiful and mysterious Shalelu Andosana has supposedly disappeared into Brinestump Marsh, and just three days ago a band of adventurers from Magnimar did just the same. No word has left the swamp since then, and people are starting to speculate...

As luck would have it, a number of Sandpoint's more talented, gifted, or at the very least intimidating residents (or sporadic visitors, in some cases) are at the Rusty Dragon, with a variety of goals in their minds. Perhaps what Koya said about destiny in her Harrow cards is particularly accurate tonight.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Okay, I leave the floor open to you beautiful Player Characters. Get some introductions going; physical description, all that good stuff. We won't tarry long here (unless you have an unusually large amount of entertainment in an opening bar scene).
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2015-01-29 at 02:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: CTP's Jade Regent IC I

His tongue sticking out as he draws, Laine Phillip sits at the bar drawing on a sheet of parchment. "I am drawing this from memory, mind you, but the creature looked something...like...this..." he says, holding up a rough charcoal drawing of a six-legged cat with two tentacles sprouting off its back. "Shalelu explained that it was a pretty dangerous predator, not something worth encountering up close, but I thought it was strangely beautiful in its own way," he continues talking to the pretty barmaid looking over his shoulder.

Laine smiles broadly at the young woman, his silvering hair at odds with his youthful features. She shrugs and hands him a drink, smiling back pleasantly before she walks away to continue her rounds. When the woodsman sees Arra walk in he waves good naturedly and gestures at the empty seat next to him. He then takes a long pull from his drink and puts the parchment and charcoal pencil in the pack at his feet before waiting to see if she joins him.

3. - Top - End - #3

Erik

Erik walks into the Rusty Dragon, ducking his head slightly so as to not hit the top of the door. His long blonde hair unable to hide his bright blue eyes that scanned the Inn for Ameiko. His almost ever present grin faded only the slightest not seeing her. The northern giant then looked for anyone else he might share a drink with.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

4. - Top - End - #4

Sitting comfortably across the tent from Koya, Arra listens to the words of her adopted mother. She shifts nervously when the cleric mentions her going to the tavern. The Rusty Dragon sees visitors of all races and walks of life, but it could also be home to the occasional brawl and she could attract the wrong kind of attention. The quiet life with Koya was much more to her liking. Still, Sandru's presence there might serve as a bit of an anchor, a safety line, that might help if things start to get out of control. Arra does not know him that well, but she recognizes that he cares deeply for Koya.

The thought of Koya's sad face if she refused is enough to make the decision for her. Arra leans forward, gently wrapping all four of her arms around her beloved mother. "I will be back soon. I promise."

The Rusty Dragon

As Arra tries to quietly make her way into the tavern, it appears as if she were a shadow that became corporeal in the light. Her light purple skin blends into the darkness outside, but sticks out like a bruised thumb in the lit confines of the tavern. She is tall for a female, or so Koya has told her, and her lithe frame does not appear to have an ounce of spare flesh. Her attire is a visually interesting mix of strategically placed leather straps and dancer's cloth. A veil covers the lower half of her face, obscuring nose and mouth, while golden eyes cautiously take in the atmosphere beneath a bald scalp. A scimitar hangs from the left side of her hip, while a bonded pair of butterfly swords dangle on her right. Arra does not normally wear her weapons outside, but she feels the need to put on a confident face in the Rusty Dragon.

She is surprised by a silver-haired man noticing her and waving her over to an empty chair. Cautiously optimistic, Arra saunters over and takes the offered seat. She then waits patiently for the man to speak.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Xun

Xun was not happy.

She couldn't even really explain why she wasn't happy, but there was something niggling away beneath her skin that would not let her comfortably go about her daily business. There were reports of goblins freshly armed with fireworks in Brinestump Marsh but that situation would be well in hand, it always was when it came to the goblin attacks once people got their feet under them. It was something...else. It felt like dozens of insects were crawling beneath her skin until she itched and wanted to scratch, but a careful eye ensured it was not actual insects.

That was why the exotic, white-haired Tien young woman was in the Rusty Dragon that night at the bar close to Laine, chewing anxiously on a her index finger with a petulant look on her face. Her blue-and-green eyes just barely flicker over towards the drawing of a displacer beast that the later has drawn, mostly at the mention of Shalelu's name.

"The thing is an infamous beast that is quite capable of slaying even experienced travelers, she was right," she replies almost off-hand and intruding into Laine's attempts to flirt without invitation, mostly due to ignorance of his attempts to woo the barmaid. Figures that Ameiko would hire such a girl to sell drinks. Why couldn't she sit still?

...Oh right, Shalelu had gone into the swamp after the goblins and hadn't returned. They were certainly well within her capabilities to deal with mind...but she shouldn't have been gone for so long. The other adventurers should have returned by now. The situation should have been simple but was instead proving to be quite...complex.

"Why were you even examining such a beast? Its an ill-omen."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

Laine takes a moment to look with some curiosity at Arra's extra limbs, trying not to stare too uncomfortably, before turning to Xun and saying, "We came upon the creature by chance, and luckily from some distance. It seems to have moved on without causing any problems, but it was amazing to see, even if only from a distance!" He takes the rough drawing, folds it up, and places it in a pocket. Smiling at Arra he says, "It isn't every species that has six appendages, but there are some truly awesome creatures that do - dragons, for example! I imagine that it can be rather...handy..." The woodsman finishes his joke with a goofy smile, it clear he means no offense at the horrible pun.

He takes another deep pull of his drink before hailing a server for a bite to eat and asks, "So, what brings all of you to the Rusty Dragon tonight?"

7. - Top - End - #7

Despite Laine's good-natured grin, Arra disapprovingly folds her arms across her chest. It is an impressive feat for four limbs. An quiet, airy voice says in reply, "'Handy'? Do you think yourself clever? You are not the first to make such a joke, but I doubt that you will be the last.

Koya said that something in her Harrow deck said that I should come here. Something about going south... or was it north?"
    Arra cups her obscured chin in one hand as she tries to remember exactly what Koya had said.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

A savory aroma begins to waft from the kitchens of the Rusty Dragon. The two Varisian men playing cards with Sandru look towards the bar with anticipation, and in a few moments Ameiko enters the common room, carrying two plates on one arm. She brings the food to Sandru’s table: sautéd cabbage and egg yakimono, and broiled cod with sesame seeds and soy sauce. Ameiko and Sandru exchange a smile and a nod, but she quickly makes her way to the bar.

A shock of white hair frames Ameiko’s pretty face, which sports a bemused smirk as she observes the odd company assembled at the bar.
    ”Evening, folks. What’ll it be? The special’s cod tonight, and I got some nice new wines in from Magnimar this morning: a red and a white.”

She overhears the tail end of Arra’s mention of Koya’s divinations. Leaning on the bar, she idly wipes the lacquered surface with a rag.
    ”Never put much stock in fortune-telling. We’re living in the Age of Lost Omens, remember? Make your own future, that’s what I say.”

9. - Top - End - #9

Eric

Eric's smile broadens considerably when Ameiko enters the room.

"What would you recomend?"
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Ameiko arches an eyebrow as she considers the massive Ulfen man.
    "I'll put you down for the special with the yakimono. Growing boys need their meat and eggs, right?"

The Varisian men seem to be enjoying Ameiko's cooking. One of them shouts a compliment in his native tongue, to which Ameiko bows slightly in his direction.
    "Keeps your eyes on the cards, Vasily." says Sandru.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2014-11-18 at 09:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Arra lays her hands on the bar counter and replies disapprovingly,

"You may have no respect for Koya's skill with the tarot, but I cannot tell you the number of times that my mother has foreseen some calamity or miracle. If she says I am meant to be here, I will trust her with my life."

12. - Top - End - #12

Erik

Erik nods and smiles. "You know me well."

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

Laine shrugs and purses his lips a moment at Arra's rebuttal before smiling and returning to his food. When Ameiko offers more he gestures to his plate and says, "The fish is quite good. I would eat another, if there is more, Ameiko." He makes the request nearly a challenge with his tone of voice, his eyes dancing at some unspoken joke.

"Though my earlier attempt at humor may not be well received, I can vouch for our lovely, violet companion - in the hands of the unskilled reading fortunes is pointless, but there are those with power who can read portents. Miss Koya is rumored to be one such person, and I can see the value in taking her readings into account," the woodsman says before taking a large bite. "I cannot imagine what we will see here of such significance, but it could be interesting!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Seeing Arra's conviction, Ameiko beats a retreat to the kitchen to fill the food orders. As if drawn to the raised voices, Sandru approaches the bar, a broad smile on his face.

Sandru is a handsome Varisian man in his mid thirties, broad-shouldered, his skin tanned and supple as soft leather from a life on the road. He moves with surprising grace for a man his age.
    "Arra, if Koya told you it was your destiny to be here, well... I think that was just her way of saying you need to get out more!"
    He gives her a friendly pat on the shoulder.
    "Say, Laine, is it? I heard you're friends with ol'Shalelu. I know she's often gone for weeks at a time without a word, but if the goblin problem down south is as bad as folks are saying... well, I was curious if you were getting worried at all. It'll let me know if I should be worried, at least."

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGuy

"Worried? Not really...If anyone knows how to avoid the worst goblins can throw it is Shalelu. She will go to ground and disappear before she lets them catch her," Laine says confidently. He smiles and asks, "Why? Have you heard something that should concern Sandpoint? If Shalelu was unable to get back here safely she may not be in danger herself, but that doesn't mean others aren't..."

Pausing his meal, he looks around at the other patrons in the bar with a brief furrowing of his brows in concern. "She taught me to watch out for people - if there are problems and she cannot help, I would be willing to go in her place."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Leaning against the bar, Sandru shrugs in response to Laine's question.
    "You're probably right. Still, Brinestump Marsh has never been fully mapped. It's not very big, but it's dense. I'm curious where these goblins have been getting fireworks, for that matter; they usually steal garbage. Fireworks are pretty rare around here. My caravan's transported some from time to time: they're usually imported from Tian Xia, on the other side of the world. Something just doesn't add up. Where would goblins get Tian fireworks? There haven't been any caravans or shipments of fireworks along the Lost Coast this year, as far as I know. Why, if I was ten years younger I'd be halfway tempted to put on some galoshes and go investigate myself..."

17. - Top - End - #17

Arra is surprised by Sandru's hand on her shoulder. She wasn't used to being touched, but it was nice for someone to be intimate with her other than her mother. As the others voice their concerns about the problems in the south, she is struck by a crazy notion.

"Maybe... we could..." Arra halts mid-sentence, embarrassed by the idea that she is about to propose. No, she thinks to herself. Koya sent you here for a reason. Maybe this is it. Be brave.

"Perhaps we could go investigate? What if Shalelu needs our help?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Xun

"Shalelu needs our help as much as Ameiko needs cooking lessons," Xun snapped out vitrioically before common sense caught up with her and the white-haired young woman realizes how harsh she had come off. She brushes ivory hair behind on ear before sheepishly clearing her throat. Despite her knee-jerk response to the idea of the talented ranger being in danger, the seed of worry remained and continued to leave her feeling...itchy. "But...you might be on to something."

Well...it was sorta like an apology, but not that her mind was churning over alternatives there wasn't time to stop and puzzle them out fully...not with that social faux-pas to smooth over. "Like I said, Shalelu is likely fine but the previous band of adventurers who searched out the goblins...well...we all say the glimmer of flashing lights and pops coming from the swamp with no word or sign of the intrepid travelers. Did anyone even know them? Might be that they made a mis-step and were left in a vulnerable position when the greenskins came upon them and need assistance. If nothing else we could discover what has happened to them and put the minds of the townsfolk at ease about what is going on in the swamp. Between everyone here at there must surely be a few individuals with the right skills to investigate the matter...
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

19. - Top - End - #19

Erik

"Well lets go look! The right skill is simply courage. Who is with me?"

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGuy

Laine shrugs. "You all will need someone who knows himself on the trails. I'll go with you. When do we start?" he asks, taking another bite and smiling. "You all should eat up before we leave - odds are good you won't eat as well on the trail!"

21. - Top - End - #21

Arra is surprise by Xun's outburst, but she hears enough of the same indignation that she herself had felt moments before that Arra lets it slide. Perhaps she is a little worried... Marching into what could be a goblin's lair is hardly Arra's first idea of adventure, but fate has dealt her a clear hand.

"I propose that we leave at dawn tomorrow. Despite how much I love the moon, traveling at night is not a good idea in the woods. Besides, I must tell Koya that I am going. I don't her to worry about me running off without a word."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Sandru has a strange sort of smile on his face... nostalgic, perhaps?
    "Ameiko! Ameiko, could you come here?"

Ameiko leans out of the kitchen, an apron around her waist, still clutching a knife. Her eyebrows are arched expectantly, her expression hovering between annoyance and mild amusement.

"Uncork a bottle of the red, Ameiko. I'm buying. I'd like to toast our friends here. I think they've just put together an adventuring party!"

Ameiko and Sandru exchange a meaningful look. She gets out four glasses, uncorks a bottle of wine with great finesse, and pours Arra, Laine, Erik, and Xun a glass. She pours two more glasses for Sandru and herself, then waits expectantly.

Sandru is all smiles. "It's a proud tradition to begin a venture such as this at a tavern. A toast: to your health and good fortune as you explore the mysteries of Brinestump Marsh!"

Ameiko closes her eyes hard and takes a long pull, unbecoming of a lady. "I'll drink to that. The Rusty Dragon is honored to bear witness."

You get the feeling that Sandru and Ameiko are roughly half sarcastic, and half sincere. The moment is laden with a strange meaningfulness and awkwardness.

23. - Top - End - #23

Erik

Erik raises his cup of mead. "To beginnings."

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGuy

Laine raises his glass high and smiles as he samples the wine. His eyes light up at the taste and he enjoys several long pulls as he finishes it quickly. "Tomorrow sounds good to me. Goblins don't usually like the daylight as much as the night, so it might be marginally safer," he says in response to Arra's suggestion. "We can meet at the town square and go from there. Bring extra supplies - getting lost in swamps is easy even with an experienced tracker, so come prepared for anything!"

Spoiler: Preparation
    Show
    1.) What's the plan? To help you figure this out, feel free to make me some Knowledge (local) / (geography) / (nature) / (history) checks, or any other sorts of skill checks you think might be helpful for planning, preparing, or making a course of action (Survival, perhaps, etc.)
    Knowledge (Geography) (1d20+8)[13] + (1d6)[5] (Inspiration - free on trained knowledge checks)
    Knowledge (History) (1d20+8)[19] + (1d6)[1] (Inspiration - free on trained knowledge checks)
    Knowledge (Local) (1d20+8)[18] + (1d6)[3] (Inspiration - free on trained knowledge checks)
    Knowledge (Nature) (1d20+11)[24] + (1d6)[1] (Inspiration - free on trained knowledge checks)
    Survival (1d20+6)[26] + (1d6)[5] (Inspiration - 1/4 uses today)

If there is a location where Laine can go and look at maps or other documents (like a library) tonight, Laine would go there after dinner to try and get a bonus on these checks. In spite of his flippant personality, he wants to look skilled/knowledgeable in front of others and would do his homework...

If there are no such resources available, he would take the time tonight to try and get a head start on tracking the other party. He won't enter the swamp but would try to discover where they entered the swamp. At the first sign of suspected danger Laine would retreat back to town (and safety). If there is time before midnight to Take 20 on Survival to do this (for a 26+Inspiration), he would do so. Laine has low-light vision.

2.) What will be your 'marching order?'
    Lain will walk beside Erik with shortbow drawn as he tracks and fall behind him at the beginning of combat.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Toilday, Lamashan 2nd, 4712 AR; Morning

The newly-forged adventuring party agrees to leave early the following morning. They say goodbye to their friends at the Rusty Dragon and get as well a night's sleep as they can manage. In the chilly morning mist, they set off south from Sandpoint along the Lost Coast Road.

The hour-long walk to the borders of Brinestump Marsh is cold and uneventful. The waters of the Varisian Gulf churn slate-gray, the whitecaps breaking against stark cliffs and lending the air a salty tang. Eventually, the cliffs dip into a wide bowl, the bottom of which is clogged with scraggly black trees and steaming yellow-green fens: Brinestump Marsh.

You know of three main paths leading down into the swamp: New Fish Trail, Old Fish Trail, and the Witch Walk. A few of you are aware that Walthus Proudstump, a reclusive halfling snake wrangler, lives somwhere along the New Fish Trail, and Laine can confirm that the previous band of adventurers went down said trail three days ago. However, it's rumored that the Licktoad goblins live somewhere near the Old Fish Trail.

A forlorn bird calls out across the swamp, which is otherwise eerily silent.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

What's the plan? You have essentially four options:

1.) Take the New Fish Trail
    2.) Take the Old Fish Trail
    3.) Take the Witch Walk
    4.) Ignore the extant paths and begin cutting your own way through the swamp.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2014-11-24 at 01:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Skill Check Results - Shared for the other Players
    Show
    Thanks to Laine’s expeditions into the hinterlands of Sandpoint, he knows a great deal of useful information.

Geography: You know that the Brinestump Marsh is a relatively small, but dense area of wetlands. It is surrounded by cliffs, containing the swamp near sea level. It forms the borders of Sog’s Bay, a neglected stretch of the Lost Coast; the land was never solid enough to allow a more permanent community to form. The marsh is about 2 miles wide at its longest dimension (from the southwest corner to the northeast, diagonally across).

Even though the marsh is largely unmapped and trackless, there are three paths that wind through the swamp. The New Fish Trail sees the most traffic; despite the swamps sinister reputation, many local fishermen swear by the fine fishing in the swamp. The New Fish Trail also leads to the self-appointed ‘swamp warden’ Walthus Proudstump’s home. An eccentric, snake-wrangling halfling, Walthus might be a useful source of information, or even a guide.

The Old Fish Trail used to be the main trail used by local fisherman, but since the Licktoad goblins moved in, the trail has been largely abandoned.

The third path is called Witch’s Walk, which bears a somewhat dark stigma: locals believe it leads directly to the home of Old Megus the Swamp Witch. Old Megus hasn’t been seen around Sandpoint for several months, however.

Aside from the local goblins, the biggest dangers of Brinestump are the local wildlife: alligators and venomous snakes. There are also rumors of a creature sighted near the marsh, dubbed the Soggy River Monster. A pale, vaguely-humanoid creature, over the past year five disappearances have been laid at the Soggy River Monster’s feet. No one has identified what the creature is, or even officially confirmed that it’s real, but local fishermen have been reporting sightings for the past three years.

After leaving the Rusty Dragon, you decide to do a bit of late-night scouting, to see if you can pick up the trail of the missing adventurers. Despite the darkness and the passage of three days’ time, you identify the trail of three medium humanoids entering the swamp near the entrance of the New Fish Trail.

"We should head down the New Fish Trail. Last night I did some looking around and found the tracks of the other company entering the marsh that way. Keep an eye on where you walk - there are several species of poisonous snakes that make their home in the swamp and some of the "logs" are in fact alligators. Otherwise, keep your eyes peeled for goblins and the Soggy River Monster, a pale humanoid thing.

If we get to Walthus Proudstump's home we may ask for his help. He knows the swamp as well as just about anyone. Old Megus might help too, though I would rather we not run into the old witch...
    " Laine rambles as he leads the party towards the swamp path. As they walk he scans the ground for tracks and the surrounding swamp for signs of danger.

Spoiler: Skill Checks
    Show
    If "Taking 10" is allowed, I have a 16 Survival and a 14 Perception. Otherwise those rolls are (1d20+6)[16] for Survival and (1d20+4)[8] for Perception.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Laine’s voice echoes off the cliffside as you descend a rough dirt path down into the swamp, along the New Fish Trail. As you enter the marsh proper, sound seems to be muffled by the dense vegetation. Even in the middle of autumn, the trees here cling to their leaves: willows, eucalyptus, and a few moss-covered oaks primarily. Not far off the path, the grass glistens with stagnant water; a ripe, fecund scent fills the air, barely masked by a salty mist that hangs just below your knees.

You cross three rickety bridges over deeper, slow-moving streams as you walk the trail. Every sound seems significant: a soft plop as something living slides into the water, strange bird calls, a rustling of reeds. Thankfully, it’s chilly enough that no insect pests bother you.

Laine has trouble picking up the trail of the missing adventurers, but following the path is easy enough. After about ten minutes walking the New Fish Trail, the muddy path terminates in a swampy lagoon. The open ocean is visible just beyond these shallow waters, while an old two-story building, its walls soggy with moss and its roof sagging with age, sits on the lagoon’s eastern shore. This must be the home of Walthus Proudstump. Although there are no signs of the halfling’s infamous snakes, you see evidence of their presence: the dried husks of their shed skins litter the ground around the shack.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Xun

"Old Megus will be of no help to us or anyone else if the rumors are true," the young woman comments as she follows along behind Lain and Eric with her arms folded across her chest as if to bundle in the warmth before it is leeched away by the cool winds coming in off the Varisian Gulf. "The people say that she has changed herself into a flesh-eating monster that steals away children to fill her rusted iron cauldron, to praise some devious patron of evil. Those last bits are my own embellishments but I believe that they add something to the story."

However she keeps to herself for much of the journey down New Fish Trail until they reach the lagoon where the halfling was supposed to live and her almond shaped eyes narrow as she looks at the ancient home. Briefly she stoops over to pick up a small handful of mud and rubs it between her fingers. There was something about the situation that was setting her nerves on edge, though she couldn't really explain what about the situation was aggravating her.

"...Has anyone visited Walthus before? Does he normally leave the snakeskins just laying around his property? It just seems...remarkably messy," she finally says as she brushes the dirt off her hands and straightens up. "Feels the same as leaving your clothes laying everywhere..."

29. - Top - End - #29

Erik

Erik smiles at Xun's embellishments. "I have found that rumours grow like fish caught by fishermen, not to mention the ones that got away."

30. - Top - End - #30

As they walk along the trail, one thing becomes clear to Arra: she hates the swamp. The muffled sound, the darkness of the tree cover, the smell of decay, the cold wind... She is beginning to have second thoughts about coming out this way. Well, too late to turn back now.

Hesitantly, she asks, "Shouldn't we knock or something? I don't think this Walthus would like people sneaking around his house."