New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Information broker

In my current campaign I want to become an information broker, kind of like the Shadow Broker from Mass Effect. My initial plan is to send my 5 followers out to get jobs as servants and such to wealthy homes in the hopes of learning useful info. Then eventually have them hire people to do the same for them until they each have a small network of people. From there have them each start to specialize and spread the web wider until I have people in every part of the city. I was hoping I could get some input from you guys, eventual pitfalls, ways to accelerate the plan, helpful tips, etc.

FYI I'm a 5 Psion(Telepath)/1 Thrallherd

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Information broker

Dominate a bunch of spies for one, or buy them off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would start with the thieves guild, make a contract with them. Then make contact with the government offices. every information network needs spys and It is is always good to have legal standing when the constable comes knocking. Traveling shows, adventuring guilds and of course a bardic collage are all good sources of information. Remember you have to give them all reasons to talk to you. you can help out the thieves guild my supplying the town guard information on a rival guild. The town guard gets credit for "tracking down" the thieves and is happy to introduce you to the dukes aid. the bards can tell you a dozen stories of forgotten holds but the adventures will ony act on solid clues so make nice with a historian at the libraries. (wizard, clerical and city) If the information in good they are willing to come back and the are willing to talk about the things they find out there.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

This reeks of leadership cheese.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hire one person to pretend to be a rival spymaster looking to get information on you. He goes to all of your spies asking about you -- anyone who gives him any information or admits to working for you mysteriously disappears.

Checks and balances yo.
    To the Hilt -- An Eberron Campaign Journal

83% of DMs are good at math. If you're one of the 29% that isn't, copy and paste this into your signature.