New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Race Building Help Needed

I'm building a character for a campaign, this character is going to be mainly for RP and still effective in combat, but I need help in building the precise race buy for it. I can't have over 20, and I want to keep it as close to the original created race as possible.

The race I'm trying to revamp is a psionic race called the blue, they're like goblins, but blue and where goblins are always disorganized without an actual leader, these little blue guys are organized and industrious with what they have.

My idea is to rebuild the Blue so that they don't have the Psionic traits, but I need a fair trade-off to make it work, so I was thinking a bonus feat at first level. Any opinions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Race Building Help Needed

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Open bonus feat might be a little overpowered. I'd say to give them a more limited feat. Personally, I like the thought of a skill feat. Either a Skill Focus or one of the "+2 to 2". Fluff it as the result of the Blue's greater organization. The scouts have Skill Focus (Perception), explorers have Athletic to get up cliffs and across rivers, etc. You have a role to fill in the tribe, so you've been trained/practiced at your role.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, a Blue without psionics is effectively a slightly-altered Goblin with slightly better ability modifiers. But if you don't want to switch to straight Goblin, here's something to consider.

The Blue really only has three Psionic racial features: Naturally Psionic, Psionic Aptitude, and Repletion.

Naturally Psionic gives you Wild Talent, which is worth 2 PP and the ability to take psionic and metapsionic feats. If you don't plan to take those feats or anything that uses PP, this doesn't do much, so don't sweat it.

Psionic Aptitude gives you an additional favored class option. Again, does nothing if you don't plan to use it.

Repletion lets you remove the need to eat or drink. I happen to think it's great, but if you don't need it, you don't use it.

So where does that leave you? If you roll a Blue and take no psionic class levels or feats, you're still awesome. Why? Because you're a +2 Int, +2 Dex, -2 Str small Goblinoid with Darkvision, a bonus to Perception, Stealth and Ride, the ability to keep Stealth as a class skill in perpetuity, and martial proficiency with any "Goblin" weapon. Contrast that with the classic Goblin, who does not get Stealth as a class skill, does not get a bonus to Perception (the most valuable skill there is), and takes penalties to both Str and Cha.

Now, if you're asking about race creation, we'd really have to break things down piecemeal. Let's go to the videotape.

You want 20 RP or less. That's our budget. So let's start with Humanoid (Goblinoid). That's 0 RP. And then...

See, here's the thing. Are we just swapping out the Blue's psionic traits? Well, the Static Bonus Feat trait (which covers a Blue's Naturally Psionic trait) is worth 2 RP. You could swap that out for another Static Bonus Feat (but not an open bonus feat), if you wanted. The Multitalented trait (which grants additional Favored Class features, so it's sort of comparable with Psionic Aptitude) is also worth 2 RP. You could simply switch Psionic Aptitude to Multitalented. As for the last one, I compare it with the 1/day spell-like ability traits. I'd consider the ability to go without food or water to have relatively minimal game impact, and thus constitute a minor SLA; those tend to be 1 RP. Just swap that for the Lesser Spell-Like Ability trait, and choose one of 1st or 0th level.

If you want more than that, though, you're going to have to be more specific.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5w337x7007h View Post
    I'm building a character for a campaign, this character is going to be mainly for RP and still effective in combat, but I need help in building the precise race buy for it. I can't have over 20, and I want to keep it as close to the original created race as possible.

The race I'm trying to revamp is a psionic race called the blue, they're like goblins, but blue and where goblins are always disorganized without an actual leader, these little blue guys are organized and industrious with what they have.

My idea is to rebuild the Blue so that they don't have the Psionic traits, but I need a fair trade-off to make it work, so I was thinking a bonus feat at first level. Any opinions?
    You're trading a specific feat (Wild Talent/Psionic Talent) for a general one, which can even be one of those two if the player wants. I think that trade is too generous.

Instead, pick a specific non-psionic feat to give them instead. Maybe instead of being psionic they are simply adept (Skill Focus), watchful (Improved Initiative), nimble (Acrobatic), sneaky (Deceitful) etc. But the point is, pick something for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Alright, so a static feat to replace 'naturally psionic'. What if I were to replace Psionic Aptitude and Repletion for mage hand at-will, as imitation psionics. Also what feat would be a good replacement as a static feat, it would need to represent mental superiority. Blues think themselves superior and would find it insulting to be compared to goblins despite their known racial affiliation.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Alright, here's what I've done. Bonus Static is Prodigy, At-will spell-like ability (mage hand). Also I've discovered that Blues are not as skilled as goblins when it comes to stealth and riding, so that's why the build only has +2 in each, and a +2 in Perception. It's a 2 RP cost for each skill, and that's equivalent to Sneaky Rider which is 6 rp, though stealth is always a class skill for Blues.