New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPRē] Mortal World IV

[Izumo - The Stage]

A little bell sounds out, a 'ding-ding-ding' as the audience applauds Naito's deduction.

"Bin-go~~! <3

Well, it's only really half the truth. I didn't really have to do anything. Your heart took over pretty much as soon as you got here."

The host points to another screen.

"I actually had to work to reel it in a bit. I recognize the handiwork of one of my sister's descendants on you. If I didn't rein it back, you probably would've fought Alpha-1 again. And lost. And beaten yourself up over it, by your own memories.

Trust me, nobody at home wants to see THAT!"

Short, nervous laughter by the crowd.

"I realize this has gotten a bit confusing, so starting over.

As soon as you got here, your heart and mind started to interact with and mold this place. Well, the part of it you were in, anyway. This is pretty much what came out of it.

The courthouse theme outside? That's a pretty clear representation of you judging yourself."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Izumo]
    The Stage

Naito looks away.

"Everyone else is doing it. Might as well join the party."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

The host sighs, The audience follows.

"Didn't you just say so yourself?

'All of this. It isn't how you see me. It isn't what I am. It's how I see myself.'

You judge yourself too harshly... Naito-kun."

The world shatters like so many pieces of glass and goes dark. Only the host and Naito stand in the darkness. They can see each other, and only each other.

"For what it's worth, here is how I see you."

Naito sees... well, both sides of the same person, male and female. The person in question being Naito. They're both more muscular than the youth's current form. They are both shivering, as if cold. Both are curled up, hurt, and in chains.

They also both have shattered wings.

"I'll spare you the lecture of who you are and what you should do. But I don't think your friends see you much differently.

They didn't get hurt because of your weakness. They got hurt because they cared about you. They wanted to see you free."

The host walks up to the two representations of Naito and snaps his fingers. The chains fall broken to the ground. The two stop shivering, and for the first time in what feels like ages, they get the courage to look up from their own pain.

They see each other. They cry tears of joy. They reach for each other's hands, and glow fiercely before they become a single, teardrop-shaped crystal, which floats towards the host's hand.

"They want you to stand up by their side. Smiling with them. That's what they fought so hard for."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

4. - Top - End - #304

Izumo
    ???

Naito still doesn't meet the host's eyes, and barely looks at the two forms conjured before them. It seems almost painful to look at.

"That's a nice sentiment and all...but I can't. I just can't. The things that that...that monster did to me can't be undone. She broke me apart and put the pieces back together all wrong. I can't sleep for more than a couple of hours without waking up in a cold sweat. When I smile it feels wrong. I keep looking for scars that aren't there because they're all in my mind. Etched into my soul. And the others...they try to understand. But they just want the old Naito back. They want things to go back to the way they were."

Naito swallows.

"But they can't."

Naito takes a shuddering breath.

"The old Naito doesn't exist. That confident, popular kid, always out to help everyone? The shining exemplar of the school? Tireless warrior against supernatural threats? The f*** was that?"

Naito chuckles bitterly.

"The same Naito who desperately latched onto anyone I didn't know hoping that maybe, just maybe, they would be my friend instead of blowing me off. The same Naito who spent an hour each day getting ready in the morning so no one could tell I was this...freak. The same Naito who cried every night when nobody was watching because nobody ever even tried to understand me. Why should they? My life was perfect."

The last word is spat out with venom.

"Maybe that b**** didn't actually change me. Maybe I just stopped caring enough to pretend to be something I'm not!"

They take a deep breath.

"The first thing I did when they freed me was take off and go after the Quincies. But it wasn't for justice, or to stop them, no matter what I told myself. Yeah, that was part of it. Nobody should ever have to go through what I did. But the other part was I just wanted to hurt something. And I did. I didn't just kill the squads I found. I broke them. Tortured them to death. I was sadistic...I was...I am just like her."

They almost gag on the words, hands clenching into fists.

"I like hurting people. I like killing them. A f***ed up monster like me doesn't deserve to exist. I'm a danger to myself and everyone around me, and no matter how much they might want to my 'friends' just can't. Understand. Only one person ever really understood me. And I put her down. We put her down. Because it was the right thing to do."

Blood leaks from one hand.

"But the only difference between us is that I should know better. Should be better. I've never been good enough. Not for me. Not for anyone else."

5. - Top - End - #305

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    [Okinawa, Japan]
    (Asahi Apartment)

Umeko smiles as she slides a few of the pancakes already finished onto a plate, setting them in front of Naomi before going back to the kitchen. As she finishes a couple more, she sits next to her girlfriend, taking some for herself as she sets the remaining stack on the coffee table. "8:30. No work today, I'm off." Just before digging in, she turns, pausing for a moment before giving Naomi a kiss on the cheek.

"...I guess I just felt like doing something, since last night seemed like such a success." With that, she cuts in, letting silent chewing be the only form of conversation for a while before speaking up again. "...so... things are looking up for you. And, well, I'll manage. And I figured maybe we could go take a look at that lot out of town. We can rent a car for the day."

She chews a bit more, thoughtfully. "...and, maybe, just... talk about stuff. How're you feeling, anyway? Better today?" She's obviously referring to the newer parts of Naomi's anatomy.
    [Okinawa, Japan]
    [Asahi Apartment]

Naomi partakes of the pancakes with gusto, nodding along at the suggestion to go look at a lot. "Yeah, that works. I... can actually maybe chip in to the rental fee? Let me check my piggybank and get to you on that, but I'm really hoping you won't have to just pay for everything on your own now. Well... not much longer anyway."

She sighs as the conversation shifts, using the pancakes as an excuse to not talk for a lengthy pause. "...a little. Showers are weird. It's... not going anywhere though. Can we just let it be for now? I mean. I know this is important, I just... need a bit more time. Sorry. Um. Got a time in mind to leave? I actually do have an evening shift today, there's a con in town - it's pretty late, so no need to rush, but uh. Yeah."
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

6. - Top - End - #306
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    Izumo
    ???

Naito still doesn't meet the host's eyes, and barely looks at the two forms conjured before them. It seems almost painful to look at.

"That's a nice sentiment and all...but I can't. I just can't. The things that that...that monster did to me can't be undone. She broke me apart and put the pieces back together all wrong. I can't sleep for more than a couple of hours without waking up in a cold sweat. When I smile it feels wrong. I keep looking for scars that aren't there because they're all in my mind. Etched into my soul. And the others...they try to understand. But they just want the old Naito back. They want things to go back to the way they were."

Naito swallows.

"But they can't."

Naito takes a shuddering breath.

"The old Naito doesn't exist. That confident, popular kid, always out to help everyone? The shining exemplar of the school? Tireless warrior against supernatural threats? The f*** was that?"

Naito chuckles bitterly.

"The same Naito who desperately latched onto anyone I didn't know hoping that maybe, just maybe, they would be my friend instead of blowing me off. The same Naito who spent an hour each day getting ready in the morning so no one could tell I was this...freak. The same Naito who cried every night when nobody was watching because nobody ever even tried to understand me. Why should they? My life was perfect."

The last word is spat out with venom.

"Maybe that b**** didn't actually change me. Maybe I just stopped caring enough to pretend to be something I'm not!"

They take a deep breath.

"The first thing I did when they freed me was take off and go after the Quincies. But it wasn't for justice, or to stop them, no matter what I told myself. Yeah, that was part of it. Nobody should ever have to go through what I did. But the other part was I just wanted to hurt something. And I did. I didn't just kill the squads I found. I broke them. Tortured them to death. I was sadistic...I was...I am just like her."

They almost gag on the words, hands clenching into fists.

"I like hurting people. I like killing them. A f***ed up monster like me doesn't deserve to exist. I'm a danger to myself and everyone around me, and no matter how much they might want to my 'friends' just can't. Understand. Only one person ever really understood me. And I put her down. We put her down. Because it was the right thing to do."

Blood leaks from one hand.

"But the only difference between us is that I should know better. Should be better. I've never been good enough. Not for me. Not for anyone else."
    Naito would feel the host smack him upside the head with a comically oversized mallet. It hurts just enough to register, but not enough to be actual damage. It's a psychic pain, rather than a real one.

"Oh, would you quit the self-loathing act already? Sure, you need therapy. Lots and lots of it. But I don't think even you believe any of those things to be remotely true!

For one thing, you seem to believe you're not worthy to be loved. But that's not for you to decide. That's the purview of your friends and family. If they didn't love you, they wouldn't have rescued you from Alpha-1. And if they didn't worry about you, then that means they had stopped loving you for what you had become. But they DO worry, don't they? They want to see you happy.

You made mistakes against horrible people. If you had REALLY taken genuine pleasure in those mistakes, then what's all this regret you feel now? You were literally at war against a part of yourself. You had to literally yank out a piece of yourself and kill it. And those Quincy were responsible for it. Anyone in your place could've felt the same way, done the same thing. But the fact you regret what happened already shows you're better than Alpha-1. You might not forgive yourself yet, but you should know I do. Your friends do.

If the previous you feels fake. If the previous you was someone you can't stand. And if this new you is someone you detest, then you have but one choice ahead of you.

Change.

I assure you, it's a lot less painful than what you're doing to yourself right now. And a lot fairer to yourself and your friends.

But hey... I'm a supernatural fox that used to munch on weaker spirits and became a rock, all the while grinning like the Joker on crack. What do I know of being a monster, right?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307

Izumo
    ???

Naito falls to their knees under the hammer blow, less from the force of impact and more due to a complete lack of resistance to the strike. They sit their, unmoving, as the host berates them for their views. Despite the long speech, Naito offers up no visual reaction to the words for almost a minute after the host stops speaking. Then, they take the sunglasses from their shirt and slide them into one pocket. They stand up.

"A fox, huh? That explains your fashion sense."

There's no malice in the comment. It's a regression in behavior to old patterns, but they're patterns from before Alpha-1. Maybe it's a step forward. Maybe it's a step back. But it's clear that the fox's words have had some kind of effect on the child in front of them.

"I'll put some thought into what you said."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Orc in the Playground

"Just don't think too hard.

And my fashion sense's not my fault. Your brain picked this outfit, I'll have you know.

Now, why are you here?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309

Naito faces the fox straight on.

"I'm looking for a Sesshouseki."

10. - Top - End - #310
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, I suppose I know where it is. Question is, what do you need one for?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #311

"Trying to pay back my friend. Shinji. He was hurt bringing me back."

12. - Top - End - #312
    Orc in the Playground

"And why do you believe a sesshouseki would help?"

It might behoove Naito to remember that this fox can't actually look into one's mind. She could only mirror it, and she seems to have cut off the 'mirror'.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #313

Naito shrugs.

"People smarter than I am say it might be able to heal him. I don't have any information on them."

14. - Top - End - #314
    Orc in the Playground

"You realize this is important, Naito. I need you to tell me absolutely everything you can.

The sesshouseki embodies my existence. I can understand you want to help your friend, but I can be very dangerous. Tell me everything you know."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #315

Naito provides a detailed explanation of the events leading up to this point.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

"..."

It takes the talk show host about 30 seconds to react to Naito's retelling.

When he does, his head literally grows to ludicrous proportions for just long enough to yell at the youth.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THIS WAS FOR MY NEPHEW STRAIGHT AWAY?!"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #317

Naito weathers the yell without flinching.

"I dislike relying on nepotism."

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

"Sheesh, you stay dead a lousy thousand years and everybody forgets to give you consideration for your family.

Alright... I suppose I can show you where the sesshouseki is. How are you planning on carrying it?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319

Naito's head tilts to the side.

"How big is it?"

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

"That's not the problem. You realize that its energy is reacting to your hearts and minds, right? That's how it created that illusion.

You don't just touch that stuff with your bare hands. It gets stronger as you get closer, too. I can hold the worst of it off so you won't go into a coma, but it'll still be pretty bad."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #321
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    [Izumo - ???]

"They just don't make them clear-headed like you anymore, do they?" Her voice remains the same childish tone, but the psyche behind it is clearly much more mature. While it's clear she seems to prefer the appearance, she isn't bothering with trying to trick Katsuo at this point. "I don't think either of us can really stop Naito right now... that kid has been on a self-destructive path for a while. But there's hope yet.

Why do you need a sesshouseki? Most boys your age don't even know what that is."
    Katsuo gives a wane smile, but it doesn't seem like he actually took the slight compliment to heart. He's just kind og like that. "...I don't think I really know what it is. But... I need it to help Shinji get better. Not just because he's my friend, but because his family needs him." Pretty simple and to the point, as ever.

[Ikari, Japan]
    (Streets)

Felicia winces, blinks, and bares her teeth again. "Real cute, muscles. But you forgot one thing. I'm still not alone. Argos, bring us home. Gently." By "us", he clearly means her and Toki.

Well that's certainly a way to end this.

[Okinawa, Japan]
    (Asahi Apartment)

Umeko deflects the offer with a hand wave. "...it's fine, really. It doesn't help anything to stress if I'm paying for everything, or if you were paying for everything. We're in this together, right?" An exceedingly logical point, as ever. "...and it's okay, Nao. Just wanted to make sure you were doing all right. " She leaves it at that.

"...and... how long do you think you need to wake up? Maybe an hour or two? I'd like a shower." She thinks for a moment. "...and, up for a hike, maybe? It's out by that river we used to camp at. We obviously can't camp out there, but... a hike would be nice. Could pack some lunch." She nods, seeing how receptive Naomi is to these ideas.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

22. - Top - End - #322

Naito's mouth presses into a line.

"I've been through worse."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Orc in the Playground

Katsuo gives a wane smile, but it doesn't seem like he actually took the slight compliment to heart. He's just kind og like that. "...I don't think I really know what it is. But... I need it to help Shinji get better. Not just because he's my friend, but because his family needs him." Pretty simple and to the point, as ever.

[Ikari, Japan]
    (Streets)

Felicia winces, blinks, and bares her teeth again. "Real cute, muscles. But you forgot one thing. I'm still not alone. Argos, bring us home. Gently." By "us", he clearly means her and Toki.

[Izumo-???]
    "Yes, you definitely don't. I suppose the name tells you it's some kind of rock. But that's a really bad place to start...

Shinji... so that's my great-nephew's name then, is it? What kind of trouble is he in?"

[Ikari, Japan - City streets]

For whatever reason, Toki is smiling. He doesn't resist the urge to jab one last time.

"Typical princess. Can't get anything done on her own."

[Izumo-???]

BAP!

"Baaaaaaaaaka. I'm telling you this could be more than you can handle.

Maybe your friend will be able to help. He seems barely affected as is. And my great-nephew's not in Izumo, right? You still need to carry it all the way to Ikari...

Well, the truth is, there's another reason I can't hand it to you, specifically. Direct contact with the Sesshouseki can induce... insanity.

If that happened to you, your friend would be the only one in a position to stop you."

In other words, by taking the sesshouseki himself, Naito would risk getting Katsuo hurt, or even killed...

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324

Izumo
    ???

Naito smirks and folds their arms.

"No s***. But I'm not the one in the position to bring him to it."

25. - Top - End - #325
    Orc in the Playground

[Izumo, Japan]
    (???)

Katsuo nods. "...he pushed himself too hard in a fight. And now he won't wake up, and he has some sort of crystal covering his arms. I'm... well, I guess I'm just muscle, I can't do anything he can do. But I'd do anything to help my friends, so it's worth trying whatever I need to do."

As ever, Katsuo's presence shines through even this bleak, colorless wasteland.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

26. - Top - End - #326
    Orc in the Playground

[Izumo - ???]

The little girl kicks the ball towards Katsuo's head.

Since it's psychic, metaphorical pain, Katsuo's unusually hard head can't avoid feeling it...

"Baaaaaaaaaaaka. You should really stop selling yourself short. How are you going to get a boyfriend like that?"

Still holding onto the ball, the girl sighs.

"I guess my great-nephew needs this help more than I need to hang around Izumo."

The wasteland shatters like so much glass... And Katsuo sees himself in the darkness along with Naito, the girl, and the talk show host.

"Follow us. We're going to guide you to the sesshouseki." Their combined voices speak.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327

[Izumo]
    The Void

Naito's hands find their pockets. The troubled Quincy doesn't spare much more than a glance and a nod to Katsuo, but it's obvious something has changed in their demeanor. Almost all of the constant anger that hung around them like a cloud seems to have faded, or at least been suppressed. Now, they are simply withdrawn. Still, it's progress.

"Ballin'. Let's go."

28. - Top - End - #328
    Orc in the Playground

[Izumo, Japan]
    (???)

Katsuo winces a bit, and is pushed back, but recovers quickly as the wasteland shatters, looking around and almost immediately locking on Naito. He doesn't say it, but his eyes imply a question of whether he's all right before turning to the two and nodding in surprise.

"...thank you." He bows, even.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

29. - Top - End - #329
    Orc in the Playground

[Izumo - ???]

Realizing that the doublespeak was going to get tiresome pretty soon, the two figures merge together into the form of what looks like a Shinto priestess with red, vulpine ears on top of her head, and golden eyes. She has long, flowing black hair... And her beauty is otherworldly.

It is also lost on the pair, given that one has no defined sexual preferences while the other distinctly prefers men.

"I don't believe I've introduced myself. My name is Kikunoha. I'm Kuzunoha's younger sister."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]
    (Von Geister Manor)

Momoka shrugs, opening her mouth again, but the sound is muffled from the outside.

Spoiler: DRAKEN ONRY
    Show
    Spoiler: Did the onry not make it clear?
    Show
    "Simply put, I am interested in some manner of biological device that could alter a person's genetic code. Not their appearance, simply any other identifying marks such as their blood, saliva, and other material used to identify them. They would register simultaneously as two people, while still appearing as themselves."
    Von Geister tilts his head to the side and leaves one hand to hang from the side of his chair, slowly circling the air.

Then he pulls it back up and throws something to Momoka.

Oh lord it is a lamprey. A tiny one, but a lamprey.

Spoiler: Do not read if you are not strawberryman
    Show
    "Just swallow it when you are ready."

[Ikari, Japan]
    (Streets)

Tentacles erupt from nowhere around Toki and Felicia, and the two of them vanish into the infinite darkness of the Void.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing