New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPRē] Mortal World IV

[Somewhere in Russia]

The motorway has changed to a dirt road as the bandaged stranger continues his journey, Sagarosso in tow. The sun is setting when he parks the bike at the edge of a small field and stops to eat a sandwhich he bought from the last gas station. "Still hanging there, vampire buddy?", he asks, despite not really expecting nor needing an answer. "Have you noticed where we're headed? Did you see the falling star few nights back? Do you know what it was?"
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #362
    Orc in the Playground

"Naturally." Sagarosso responds. "It was no falling star, though. That didn't come from this plane of existence. Whatever that 'shooting star' was, it clearly had spiritual particles making up its composition. I can feel their influence getting stronger, even now."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #363
    Orc in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]
    (Moto Corp)

In the so-called 'situation room' in the bowels of Moto Corp, Kato is fuming as reports come back of the missiles being intercepted. The up-to-now second-in-command barks out orders to agents who look increasingly unsure of or disgruntled at the situation. But she was on guard for now...

"Fuji! Kita! Mori! Nakano! Saito! I don't care what you have to say to the situation, these pricks took Satomi down and we're going to be next! Get your gear ready and-" There's a ring from the intercom that interrupts her speech. She slams the button irritably.

"WHAT!?"

"...Ma'am, this is Yoshida. Satomi-dono had us keep an eye on Shizuka's safehouses, we spotted her entering one of the apartment complexes via remote surveillance."

This actually gives Kato considerable pause. "...on second thought. The five of you head out there. Yoshida, send the info. We're going for capture, and if not, kill her. She's a liability at best, or hostile at worst." An assorted punctuality of "hai" is Kato's response.

[Ikari, Japan]
    (Kuzunoha Sanctuary)

Yoshiro winces a bit as he moves, slowly and deliberately. He could already feel his balance somewhat thrown off... this... would not be easy, for sure.

"...then what are we waiting for?" He gives this with something between determined anger and a degree of humor.

[Cote d'Azur, France]

Momoka... is actually surprised for a space before closing her eyes and regaining her composure. "...that is..." ...she actually struggles for words again, sighing. "...that is something I've not told many. I don't believe I need to elaborate how I feel about it. So..."

"...in truth I did not want you to be subject to the collateral damage. I..." ...man, he really threw her for a loop, somehow. A bit of pink, nonetheless at contrast with her snowy complexion, tints her cheeks. "...I'm... sorry, Setsurou. For so long, I simply could not coordinate any plan where I depended on another. Solitude, in personal life, and the consequences of my actions... it is part of my being." She bites her lip, unsure of how to proceed, for once.

[Izumo, Japan]
    (???)

...as the flash fades, Katsuo is still there, standing with his hand around the stone... and frozen in place, his eyes widened... and tears freely flowing from them despite his comatose state.

Spoiler: ....?
    Show
    A red light glows through the windows.

Katsuo wakes with a start. But... is it still Katsuo? He looks down... wearing... a feminine kimono, looking... fairly more androgynous than usual, with longer hair. She looks up. Her surroundings are... antiquated. Wooden. Paper windows. But... someone familiar stands in front of her.

"Hikari! We have to go!" Her brother, Kagetora... doesn't wait, grabbing her and pulling her outside. Chaos. Screams. Fire.

The twins run through the streets, avoiding the soldiers marching through as best they can.

Then, Kagetora is crushed as he decides to go down a slightly risky-looking alleyway, pinned by a burning beam.

Kat... Hikari screams, trying to pull her brother out, but she isn't strong enough.

Katsuo lets out an idle scream, but doesn't lapse from his reverie.

Spoiler: ...??
    Show

Hikari wakes with a start. It's her brother's calling that wakes her. "Hikari! We have to go!" Again, he doesn't wait, pulling her outside to run through the streets. Hikari spots a mountain in the background of the great city as they run.

But... she recognizes the alley they went down last time. Kagetora is confused as Hikari refuses to continue, standing her ground. "...Hikari, what's wrong, we've-"

The beam crashes from above, the alleyway collapsing. Kagetora is perturbed... but then nods. "...good catch, but... let's go!" He turns to go another way...

They continue running, avoiding crowds of soldiers... and citizens, being cut down.

Then, Kagetora suddenly stops after they turn a corner... collapsing, an arrow through his heart.

Hikari screams. She sees the soldiers nocking their arrows, pulling her brother behind the corner. But... it was too late.

The screams continue.

Spoiler: ........?
    Show

Hikari awakes with a start. "Hikari! We have-" But this time, she is the one that rushes up and pulls her brother out, tears in her eyes. She avoids the beam. The ambush.

Running through the streets, she leads her brother. "...uhh... Hikari, what's gotten-- WATCH OUT!" Suddenly throwing her out of the way, Kagetora is run over by a group of cavalry.

Hikari holds Kagetora's broken body, sobbing.

And continue... there's something primal about them. But it's not just fear. It's... intense sorrow.

Spoiler: ...?
    Show

Hikari tries to save both of them again.

And again.

And again.

...but every time, it is Kagetora in the way. Every time, he saves her. Caught in the flames. Stabbed. Shot. Run over.

She can't even track how many times he died.

"...NII-SAN!" The screams finally take on something more concrete.

Spoiler: .....!
    Show

This time would be different.

Hikari runs ahead. "...! HIKARI! WAIT!"

They run... and run...

...they seem to avoid every hazard in their way. Nothing for Kagetora to try and save her from, with his focus on keeping up with her.

...but as they reach the border of town, Hikari stops, breathing heavily and dropping to her knees. Kagetora stops. "...how did you...?"

But he doesn't have time to finish that question as they're suddenly surrounded, Hikari letting out a scream as she's picked up by her hair. She sees a balding man with scalp hair, but a small knot at the back of his head nonetheless. Kagetora is restrained. The soldier holding Hikari observes her and shouts something to the balding man. A decision is made. They start to carry her off, while a sword is drawn on Kagetora.

Hikari screams. She grabs for the soldier's sidearm... cutting her own hair.

She runs, short blade in hand. The soldier stumbles after her.

All she can do, though, is shove Kagetora to the side. Her vision goes blank as the sword meant for him slices through her.

She reaches out to her brother as he screams. "...r-run... nii-san..."

He doesn't. He is cut down, too. As Hikari's vision fades, her brother grasps her hand weakly. "...Not without you, H-Hikari..."

Katsuo screams, suddenly snapping into motion. There's a sudden surge of energy... that's... odd... Katsuo usually doesn't have any detectable reiatsu.

...and yet now, it is all too present. The boy holds his scream as the energy builds around him, the sesshouheki in hand. Tears still drip from his eyes as the false reality collapses around him, his reiatsu... truly massive in scope, as he lets all of it out. Though he doesn't outstrip Naito by a lot, the sheer strength of it is simultaneously impressive and terrifying.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2015-05-08 at 03:14 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Izumo]
    ???

Naito watches Katsuo with an almost bored expression as the other youth picks up the Sesshouseki. For whatever flaws Naito may have, they have absolute confidence in Katsuo's mental strength. They have seen his capacity for willpower and mental fortitude first hand.

Which makes it all the more surprising to the Quincy when Katsuo begins sobbing, screaming, and finally unleashing a monstrous blast of Reiatsu that exceeds even Naito's own. While Naito's Reiatsu is focused and intense, almost like a blade, Katsuo's energy is more like a monstrous wave of pure force. Naito cross their arms in front of their face, shielding themselves from an intangible wind. After a few seconds, as the pressure subsides somewhat and Naito adjusts, they lower their arms slightly to look.

"Kat...su...o...? You alright?"
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

[Somewhere in Russia]

The stranger takes a bite out of his sandwhich. "Yeah, it was a piece of Heaven. Or Soul Society, whichever term you prefer." He digs out a flask of vodka and takes a sip. "It's not only such piece to have fallen here lately, but the rest came down in a much more orderly fashion. Care to guess what would've happened if it'd been a material object?"

---

[Japan - somewhere in Ikari]

Mr. Akiyama, the leader of remaining ZHE troops, is lost in thought. He hasn't been resting properly in a while. He's been trying to anticipate and prepare against new attacks from the Abomination, but none have occurred. There's been a change in pattern, and he isn't sure why. At the same time, the schisms within the Moto family have finally escalated. None of his nominal "superiors" have gotten to Mr. Akiyama yet, but his own informants brought in rumors that Moto Satomi has been assassinated. Not that he cares, he's mostly just interested in getting his own clan out of...

The sound of his phone ringing snaps Mr. Akiyama out of it. It's probably been ringing for a while, he just didn't notice for his exhaustion. He reaches for it and answers the call.

"Akiyama. Yes, that one. Yes, of course. I understand. Me and my squad will be on the way ASAP. Meet you there. Out."

The man gets up, gets his coat from the rack and puts on his Soldat gas mask. His chance has come and he isn't going to miss it.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2015-05-08 at 03:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    [Somewhere in Russia]

The stranger takes a bite out of his sandwhich. "Yeah, it was a piece of Heaven. Or Soul Society, whichever term you prefer." He digs out a flask of vodka and takes a sip. "It's not only such piece to have fallen here lately, but the rest came down in a much more orderly fashion. Care to guess what would've happened if it'd been a material object?"

---
    "No guess. A massive explosion at the very least... an environmental cataclysm at the worst, depending on speed.

What's much more interesting to guess is why it fell in the first place."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    [Ikari, Japan]
    (Kuzunoha Sanctuary)

Yoshiro winces a bit as he moves, slowly and deliberately. He could already feel his balance somewhat thrown off... this... would not be easy, for sure.

"...then what are we waiting for?" He gives this with something between determined anger and a degree of humor.

[Cote d'Azur, France]

Momoka... is actually surprised for a space before closing her eyes and regaining her composure. "...that is..." ...she actually struggles for words again, sighing. "...that is something I've not told many. I don't believe I need to elaborate how I feel about it. So..."

"...in truth I did not want you to be subject to the collateral damage. I..." ...man, he really threw her for a loop, somehow. A bit of pink, nonetheless at contrast with her snowy complexion, tints her cheeks. "...I'm... sorry, Setsurou. For so long, I simply could not coordinate any plan where I depended on another. Solitude, in personal life, and the consequences of my actions... it is part of my being." She bites her lip, unsure of how to proceed, for once.
    [Ikari - Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

"Well, for one thing, unless you want to give Misaki-san the wrong idea, you'd better put on some pants."

Oh, right, hospital gown.

[Cote D'Azur, France]

"Somehow, I think that's only something you convinced yourself of." Setsurou replies as he reaches for Momoka's shoulders.

"You've known for a while how I feel regarding my place in society. It goes without saying that I would give anything to be free of that burden. I still have an obligation to help others insofar as my capabilities reach, but not as an assassin or a spy. As long as I live in my family's shadow, I can never realize my dreams. So I need to overcome it, or make the need for my family obsolete in the first place.

You're afraid of betrayal. Of rejection. It is true that solitude has been a part of how you've lived so far, and you know little else.

Setsurou reaches to stroke her cheeks now, his thumbs delicately tracing her cheekbones.

"But it is not who you are. Those rare, precious smiles I see on your face? The smiles only you can give, when you are truly happy? That's who you are, Momo. Deep within.

Just as I am not defined by the farce of incompetence I put up for appearance's sake, you are not defined by being alone.

Because you've got me. And I've got you."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    "No guess. A massive explosion at the very least... an environmental cataclysm at the worst, depending on speed.

What's much more interesting to guess is why it fell in the first place."
    "Based on how it looked, I estimated it to be similar to the Tunguska event", the stranger remarks while munching his evening snack. "Enough to knock down 2150 square kilometers of forest and cause an earthquake measuring at least 5.0 on the Richter scale. Even as it was, had it hit the ground, they would've felt it in London. The reason they didn't is because there's a larger mass floating between it and the ground, and it absorbed the impact." He finishes his sandwhich and licks his fingers.

"I'm not quite sure why it fell here, specifically. I know it was a conscious effort. I think they tried to get all of Soul Society here, but the Shinigami stopped them halfway through it. So about half of it ended down here, while the other half is orbiting the Sun on the opposite side to us." He points at the setting sun and takes a sip of vodka. "Or, well, approximately half. Bits and pieces got lost on the way. Anyways, there's a small continent floating ahead. I'm not quite sure what's keeping it up. It's a disaster waiting to happen, though."

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

"You're talking in an awfully accurate way to be doing much guessing. So this isn't much conjecture on your part, is it? Not really."

Sagarosso still looks as bored as ever as he explains.

"Even this far out, through all the snow, there is a faint scent of blood in that direction. The winds have carried it this far... there was a battle, a big one from the looks of it."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

"I had a few friends in the right places to see much of it happen", the stranger notes. "The reasoning behind this still eludes me. Okay, so I can sort of see why the Shinigami are fighting over it. It's their land, and whatever troubles they might have had in Heaven, they sure as Hell aren't helped by most of it being here. But the opposing party... if they had real hostile intent, they should've just let the whole thing crash. No point in keeping it up. And if they wanted to conquer it, they could've just went up there. No point in bringing it down." The stranger finishes his drink and puts the flask away.

"It's starting to feel like both parties have lost sight of what's actually necessary, and keep fighting mostly due to ego. Or greed. Ever heard of the 'set point' theory of happiness?

10. - Top - End - #370
    Orc in the Playground

"To be honest, no, I have not." Sagarosso replies as he refocuses his attention towards their final destination.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

"Everyone has a base level of happiness they gravitate towards. As time passes, no matter how big victories you achieve or how great losses you suffer, you eventually return to that state. Everything evens out in the long run." Having finished his supper, the stranger looks at his reflection from his bike's right mirror to see if his bandages are allright. "hat's how you get people who have nothing, yet feel fine - and people who have everything, yet are still down. People who are inclined to be dissatisfied, will remain so - regardless of what they achieve. Even as they reach their goals, they keep inventing new ones, chasing the illusion of gratification." The stranger kickstarts his bike.

"They can't say 'this is enough', nor truly comprehend why someone else would say that. Hence they'll keep fighting long after it has ceased to benefit anyone, least of all themselves. I'd say death is the only cure for that, but I've met enough fools who resist even that. It'd be a mercy to relieve them of their miseries, but they would never agree on that."

12. - Top - End - #372
    Orc in the Playground

"The flipside is that contentment breeds inertia, inertia breeds stagnation, and stagnation breeds ruin. Surely it is a terrible way to live, to consider one is only as great as one's last accomplishment. Yet to be well with only one's past behind him or her shows a marked lack of ambition. If man never desired more than they were content with, they would still live in caves, eating their own ticks and flinging their excrement at each other." Sagarosso counterpoints. "As with all things, excess towards either side of the balance does one much more harm than the potential good one might derive from such actions.

Take most species of 'vampire' bat, for instance. They are capable of processing the plasma, the liquid part of the blood, in as few as two minutes, which is entirely useless to their metabolism. They don't require too much blood to get by comparative to their size either, but because they're so active, they are constantly on the move, thus, their thirst is always hounding them. So, they must learn discernment - they must know when a lone prey will be all they encounter for hours on end, and when to take a quick meal and leave lest they become bait for predators. Drink too little, and the thirst will torment them. Drink too much, and they could end up dead."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

The stranger chuckles, his voice mixing with the engine rumbling. "Oh gee, and here I was wondering which sort of a person you are", he says. Something in his demeanor hints he knew what Sagarosso was going to say from the start. "You say stagnation would lead to ruin, but ruin of what? Set points of happiness, remember? Those who can be satisfied with gadgets and bikes and motorways would've been fine with sticks and stones. Those who can't, won't be satisfied with anything. Things change, but they don't progress. There's no 'potential good' - no-one really gets better in this world. You can only get even, or get out."

14. - Top - End - #374
    Orc in the Playground

[Cote d'Azur]

Momoka sighs sadly. "It may not be all that I am, but it is still what I prefer. ...but..."

Oh knock it off. You know what you want. Stop making excuses and take it for yourself for once!

There's a momentary pause as her zanpaktou spirit pesters her, but of course Setsurou can't hear it this time. "...I cannot guarantee that we will have a life together, Setsurou." Another wince and pause.

Enough, Momo! Stop thinking about the future for one minute! Live in the now!

Momoka struggles again to speak. "...I have genuinely smiled more on my own than in the presence of others."

And still he's right.

She closes her eyes for a few moments, flushing out the words of her zanpaktou. As she opens them again, she pauses in looking into Setsurou's eyes. She says nothing more.

She simply breathes, as if taking a breath for a dive, and leans in, pressing her lips against his.

[Ikari, Japan]
    (Kuzunoha Sanctuary)

Yoshiro pauses. "...yes, I suppose that is wise." With that, he sits back down, waiting for whatever is offered.

...he'll probably need help getting dressed, though. Nonetheless, after that is taken care of, he seems all too eager to get going, despite the relative difficulty of moving.

[Izumo, Japan]
    (???)

Katsuo's scream breaks, and his reiatsu fades from detection, the pressure letting up. But still, he doesn't respond to Naito.

Show
    It perhaps would have been a mercy if it stopped there. But... the sesshouheki would not give up so easily, it seems.

The whole cycle starts over. And over. Katsuo... Hikari's sorrow intensifying each time.

Katsuo drops to his knees, still holding the stone in his hand as he holds himself up from the ground with his arms.

Spoiler: .................
    Show
    ...but Hikari stops during one of the cycles as an unfamiliar boy in strange clothing walks out of one of the alleyways.

"...come on, pal. No... brother. You can't let this get to you. You're stronger than that."

The fires continue, though, so Hikari keeps moving... but a little slower. Kagetora doesn't seem to have seen the boy. And so, they round another corner, and... the soldiers are all on the ground, unconscious. Another unfamiliar person standing there. It isn't clear whether it's a boy or girl.

"...is this how you're going to let it end after saving me?"

...but as more soldiers come in for the person to fight, Hikari continues running.

The twins reach the edge of the city once more. But this time... there is no one here. They continue running.

Then, Hikari stops again as a figure appears in front of her. She's... glowing, motherly. Smiling. "...it's okay to be sad, Katsuo. You're... so caring. But... you have love, too. For your friends. For the world around you." A boy steps to the woman's side, holding a hand out to Hikari. They look... similar. She looks back to Kagetora. He seems to see these two this time as he offers a sad smile and nods.

"...go on, sister. The past is the past."

Hikari stares for a few moments, tears welling in her eyes before mirroring the smile and walking forward, taking the boy's hand and then embracing him.

Katsuo roars, suddenly rocketing into the air from his knees. Tears in his eyes, nonetheless his roar reverberates through the darkness... cracking it like glass.

Then shattering it as he hits the ground again, breathing heavily, but standing with his head held up to the starry sky.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2015-05-09 at 12:19 PM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

15. - Top - End - #375
    Orc in the Playground

[Cote d'Azur]

Momoka sighs sadly. "It may not be all that I am, but it is still what I prefer. ...but..."

Oh knock it off. You know what you want. Stop making excuses and take it for yourself for once!

There's a momentary pause as her zanpaktou spirit pesters her, but of course Setsurou can't hear it this time. "...I cannot guarantee that we will have a life together, Setsurou." Another wince and pause.

Enough, Momo! Stop thinking about the future for one minute! Live in the now!

Momoka struggles again to speak. "...I have genuinely smiled more on my own than in the presence of others."

And still he's right.

She closes her eyes for a few moments, flushing out the words of her zanpaktou. As she opens them again, she pauses in looking into Setsurou's eyes. She says nothing more.

She simply breathes, as if taking a breath for a dive, and leans in, pressing her lips against his.

[Ikari, Japan]
    (Kuzunoha Sanctuary)

Yoshiro pauses. "...yes, I suppose that is wise." With that, he sits back down, waiting for whatever is offered.

...he'll probably need help getting dressed, though. Nonetheless, after that is taken care of, he seems all too eager to get going, despite the relative difficulty of moving.

[Izumo, Japan]
    (???)

Katsuo's scream breaks, and his reiatsu fades from detection, the pressure letting up. But still, he doesn't respond to Naito.

Show
    It perhaps would have been a mercy if it stopped there. But... the sesshouheki would not give up so easily, it seems.

The whole cycle starts over. And over. Katsuo... Hikari's sorrow intensifying each time.

Katsuo drops to his knees, still holding the stone in his hand as he holds himself up from the ground with his arms.

Spoiler: .................
    Show
    ...but Hikari stops during one of the cycles as an unfamiliar boy in strange clothing walks out of one of the alleyways.

"...come on, pal. No... brother. You can't let this get to you. You're stronger than that."

The fires continue, though, so Hikari keeps moving... but a little slower. Kagetora doesn't seem to have seen the boy. And so, they round another corner, and... the soldiers are all on the ground, unconscious. Another unfamiliar person standing there. It isn't clear whether it's a boy or girl.

"...is this how you're going to let it end after saving me?"

...but as more soldiers come in for the person to fight, Hikari continues running.

The twins reach the edge of the city once more. But this time... there is no one here. They continue running.

Then, Hikari stops again as a figure appears in front of her. She's... glowing, motherly. Smiling. "...it's okay to be sad, Katsuo. You're... so caring. But... you have love, too. For your friends. For the world around you." A boy steps to the woman's side, holding a hand out to Hikari. They look... similar. She looks back to Kagetora. He seems to see these two this time as he offers a sad smile and nods.

"...go on, sister. The past is the past."

Hikari stares for a few moments, tears welling in her eyes before mirroring the smile and walking forward, taking the boy's hand and then embracing him.

Katsuo roars, suddenly rocketing into the air from his knees. Tears in his eyes, nonetheless his roar reverberates through the darkness... cracking it like glass.

Then shattering it as he hits the ground again, breathing heavily, but standing with his head held up to the starry sky.
    [Cote D'Azur]

For once, Setsurou has no words or actions to match Momoka's own. It is a deliberate choice.

However brief, her step forward is an important one. He wouldn't dare halt it, or meet it with one of his own.

After all, Momo has to see there's nothing wrong with the pursuit of her own happiness, even in such small things. That even should she meet hardship, what she finds on the way to soothe her own heart is worth it.

So Setsurou lets her lead. Take HIS breath away for once. Let her have her fill, for as long as she likes.

"You're not going alone, kiddo."

Margrave walks into the room, in his ten-year-old form, with a smug grin on his face.

"I don't have to tell ya Tokyo is a big city. You're gonna need a tracker. And someone who can cover YOUR tracks in case we run into your family's goons.

Besides, even if the Doc can make you run a marathon in your state, someone has to make sure you don't get yourself killed in the process."

[Izumo-Taisha]

As Katsuo and Naito see the night sky vanish into the foreground of their vision, the darkness subsides and flows like dirt washed away until they see themselves at Izumo-Taisha once more.

Shaya herself seems to be interrupted in mid-sentence. Apparently, between the time they were sucked into the isen-sekai and their return, only a few seconds passed.

"-- keep your eyes peeled for reishi fluctuations and...

...well. That was... fast."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376

[Izumo-Taisha]
    Depths

Naito glances around warily as the scene around them shifts not once, but twice. They don't like having their perceptions of reality messed with; that's a heavily traveled road with no good memories. Moreover, they're highly concerned about Katsuo, although they barely show any hint of this. Naito goes onto guard for a moment when Shaya comes into view, but almost immediately drop their hostility upon recognizing the priestess. They take a deep breath to calm themself, but their response to Shaya is still closer to a growl than civil conversation.

"It didn't f***ing feel like it."

17. - Top - End - #377
    Orc in the Playground

[Izumo, Japan]

Katsuo stands in silence, breathing heavily, tears rolling down his cheeks still. The sesshouheki is gripped tightly in his hand.

[Ikari, Japan]
    (Kuzunoha Sanctuary)

Yoshiro grimaces a bit, but doesn't object. "...fine. Let's go. We're wasting time." He limps for the door, expecting that Tobioka, Margrave, or someone will lead him to where he's supposed to be going.

[Cote d'Azur, France]

Momoka puts a hand up, gently holding it against Setsurou's chest as she kisses him. But... eventually, she pulls away, looking off to the sunset quietly with a blush burning in her cheeks to match.

"...do not mistake this for rejection. Part of me could spend my remaining days here. But I cannot abandon my path so simply."

[Okinawa, Japan]
    (Asahi Apartment > City Outskirts)

Umeko smiles back, next into the bathroom. Hooray for non-crappy water heaters! Umeko takes a bit longer than Naomi to get out of the shower, all told, but it's still 20 minutes at most when she walks out of the bedroom in just above knee-length shorts and a green tank top, looking ready to take on whatever physical challenge was put in front of her. She approaches Naomi with a smile, leaning over her laptop and giving her a quick kiss.

"...all right, I've already got the bento ready. Let's go!" She pulls the boxes out of the fridge with a smirk (how long was she awake before Nao?) and leads the way on a short jog to the rental place before they're off. It's not a long drive; 45 minutes at the most. But before long, the city gives way to grassy fields, Umeko's eyes drifting off the road at times to look around at the space. Eventually, however, she pulls to the side of the road, more grassy field with a bit of woods a good hike away, the only signs of civilization being the road behind them and the small sign indicating its sale status.

Umeko looks around with an appraising eye. Trying to see their house. And... maybe...

...she puts a hand to her forehead, giving a light chuckle as she rubs it. "...wow. It is... way too soon to feel this way." She pauses, realizing Naomi might not get what she meant. "...imagining our daughters playing here. It's... um..." And it seems words have failed her. She gives a heavy sigh.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

18. - Top - End - #378
    Orc in the Playground

[Izumo, Japan]

Katsuo can feel the warmth of an embrace from behind as Shaya reaches to gently dry his cheeks.

"Both of you did great. Thank you so much for what you're doing for the Grandmaster."

"Pipe down, kiddo... it's going to be fine." Margrave tries to assure him. "My brother may have taught Chuck how to shoot, but I've taught dozens of Quincy how to track.

We'll find her."

Nonetheless, Yoshiro finds himself aboard a Tsuchigumo headed for Tokyo within minutes.

[Cote D'Azur]

"No one's asking you to. That's been my point all along. And for the record..."

Setsurou quietly casts an... unusual Kidou, and Momoka begins to hear music.

"...you really suck at this tsundere thing.

I'm not asking you to spend your remaining days here and now... just to spend the next five minutes dancing with me."

He offers his hand and a mock bow.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2015-05-12 at 09:02 AM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #379

[Izumo]

Naito just grits their teeth and looks away.

"He started it."

20. - Top - End - #380

[Okinawa, Japan]
    [City Outskirts]

Naomi yawns as she gets out of the car, knitting her hands together over her head and giving a long stretch as she does so. She's never really been great in cars. This particular rental's stinginess with knee room in the passenger seat did little to alleviate the usual stiffness she tended to suffer from a ride. Still, it's a gorgeous little spot of pseudo-wilderness, and the crisp cleanliness of the air invigorates Naomi with just a few breaths. As does Umeko's last remark, which puts a smile on the artist's face.

"Pffft, not your fault you've still got that on your mind. It's sorta been shoved in our faces the past few days. Still, if that's the name of the game..." Naomi points to a wide section of grass near the treeline. "...we've got some pretty great places to set up a play field! Kickball or tag or maybe even a volleyball net, if one of them takes after you in that! Aaand... we could set up some nice seats in the shade under those trees so I wouldn't burn to a crisp in summer watching them play with their friends. Hopefully they'll take after you on that, I wouldn't wish my complexion on my worst enemy if they lived around here. And over there, maybe... we could start a garden? That could be fun! I remember gardening with my dad at the old family house. We should totally do that!"

Naomi beams as she rambles through her mental image, her sheer enthusiasm burning through the miasma of self-consciousness that had been afflicting her since Von Geister's operation. She takes a few steps into the field, spinning to look at Umeko and continuing backwards at a leisurely pace as she lets out laugh at the sweet absurdity of this train of thought.

"...anyway, c'mon! We're here for a hike! Limber up and let's get going! At the rate you're talking 'bout taking this, you better touch those toes while you still can!" Naomi smirks playfully for a moment, before turning a vivid pink and clapping a hand to her mouth with that oh-so-distinctive expression worn exclusively by those in a state of disbelief over their own last utterance.

"...umm, sorry? Imagination kinda got, uh... carried away there."
    Last edited by Selinia; 2015-05-14 at 10:31 PM.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

21. - Top - End - #381
    Orc in the Playground

[Cote d'Azur, France]

Momoka sighs again, but offers a small fragile smile. "...very well." She takes his hand, letting him lead the way.

[Izumo, Japan]
    (Izumo-Taisha)

Katsuo controls his breathing, eventually looking down from the starry canopy above to turn to Naito and Shaya. For once he doesn't have his usual sad smile, but instead an actual sorrowful if determined expression. "...I... just... I wanted to help my friend. That's... that's all." Something is obviously troubling him still, but he's gotten through the worst of it, and doesn't look too keen on elaborating right now.

[Ikari > Tokyo]
    (Search!)

Yoshiro actually keeps a pretty admirable pace given his state. Sure, he's slower than Margrave or Tobioka's shinigami, but there's a burning determination behind his actions that allows him to work through his new disability and the grogginess of the pain-killers.

They shuffle through a few safe houses with no luck. But eventually, they come to a certain apartment complex, picking the lock and stepping inside...

Spoiler: Frozen
    Show
    That's your cue.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

22. - Top - End - #382
    Orc in the Playground

[Cote D'Azur]

"If I do this right, you will be sighing differently by the time we're done."

As it turns out, Setsurou is a very accomodating partner. As an artform, dancing was something relatively easy for him to master. That should naturally translate into a touch of arrogance and condescension in his movements, or even patronizing on his part.

Instead, he adjusts his pace to Momoka's, to make sure the two of them are dancing in perfect harmony.

[Izumo-Taisha]

"We should head back... you two seem rather exhausted." Shaya notes with some concern. "And you, Katsuo-kun, look like you've taken a lot of emotional damage just now. If you want to talk about it, I'd be willing to listen."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

[Ikari > Tokyo]
    (Search!)

Yoshiro actually keeps a pretty admirable pace given his state. Sure, he's slower than Margrave or Tobioka's shinigami, but there's a burning determination behind his actions that allows him to work through his new disability and the grogginess of the pain-killers.

They shuffle through a few safe houses with no luck. But eventually, they come to a certain apartment complex, picking the lock and stepping inside...
    At first, the apartment looks empty, just like the others. Only out-of-place thing is a solitary chair, dragged to the most shadowy corner of the room, facing towards the door. The first time anyone looks there, there's no-one sitting on it. The second time, however...

"Good evening, Moto Yoshiro", a voice comes through the filter of a ZHE gas mask. Mr. Akiyama sits on the chair, arms and legs crossed, looking at the newcomers through his visor. "You wouldn't happen to know where Misaki is?" Of course, the question is rhetorical. Mr. Akiyama knows Yoshiro doesn't have a clue - if he had, he wouldn't have come here. Not after Misaki already left to escape being surrounded by Moto mooks.

24. - Top - End - #384

[Izumo-Taisha]

Naito nods.

"It wasn't exactly fun."

25. - Top - End - #385
    Orc in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]
    (Safehouse)

For a moment, Yoshiro is about to blurt out some obscenity appropriate to the situation. But he regains his composure quickly.

"...I do not. I presume this apartment is surrounded?"

[Cote d'Azur]

Momoka follows along quietly, closing her eyes. She is... surprisingly adept, perhaps. But given the elegance of her movement normally, perhaps not. It is a few minutes before she speaks again. "...is this yet another thing you learned through the pretense of being a tool of subterfuge?"

[Izumo, Japan]
    (Izumo-Taisha)

Katsuo looks down finally, breathing and pulling away from Shaya. "...not... not now. I need to... we need to bring this to Shinji." He turns, holding up the stone with an emotionally and physically drained expression.

[Okinawa, Japan]
    (Empty Lot)

Umeko doubletakes, flushing a furious color of red, but she doesn't respond otherwise, stretching out as she takes up the bento box with one hand, and takes Nao's with her other, the blush taking some time to fade as they walk towards the woods.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

[Tokyo, Japan]
    (Safehouse)

For a moment, Yoshiro is about to blurt out some obscenity appropriate to the situation. But he regains his composure quickly.

"...I do not. I presume this apartment is surrounded?"

[Cote d'Azur]

Momoka follows along quietly, closing her eyes. She is... surprisingly adept, perhaps. But given the elegance of her movement normally, perhaps not. It is a few minutes before she speaks again. "...is this yet another thing you learned through the pretense of being a tool of subterfuge?"

[Izumo, Japan]
    (Izumo-Taisha)

Katsuo looks down finally, breathing and pulling away from Shaya. "...not... not now. I need to... we need to bring this to Shinji." He turns, holding up the stone with an emotionally and physically drained expression.

[Okinawa, Japan]
    (Empty Lot)

Umeko doubletakes, flushing a furious color of red, but she doesn't respond otherwise, stretching out as she takes up the bento box with one hand, and takes Nao's with her other, the blush taking some time to fade as they walk towards the woods.
    [Tokyo, Safehouse]

Margrave looks neither surprised nor upset.

Benefits of using a Life Fiber spirit particle golem to walk around.

[Cote D'azur]

"Close. Court etiquette includes dancing lessons by default. Hardest part was pretending I could dance well enough not to be an embarrassment, but not good enough to serve as a distraction.

You're pretty good yourself. Took a few lessons on the side?"

[Izumo-Taisha]

Shaiya looks pained by Katsuo's efforts, but clearly does not know what to say. She turns to face Naito, with a look that screams, 'Can you help me out here?'

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387

Naito shrugs.

"He ain't wrong."

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

[Tokyo, safehouse]

"Not by my men", Mr. Akiyama replies. "I still wouldn't recommend trying to flee. I have a hunch someone might get trigger-happy." Yoshiro probably can't tell through the mask, but Mr. Akiyama glances at Margrave. "Mind answering a few more questions before the inevitable hostilities begin?"

29. - Top - End - #389
    Orc in the Playground

"Truth is we don't really have a lot of time. And you know who we're after. So, if you know where she is, I'd ask you to tell us."

Margrave's voice is almost eerily calm.

"Besides, I'm not sure they're going to wait on you."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

"We have enough time", Mr. Akiyama says. "And I don't know where Misaki is. I could give you a general direction where she went, but I doubt either of you would be succesful in following her. There are other things you might want to hear more. BUt, first: where is the Abomination?"