New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Tearing of the Weave IC

Krag rolls forward, a tightly wound dwarven ball of rage before he straightens unleashing glowing blue fisted uppercut into the goblin leader!

Spoiler: Krag
    Show

Charge to goblin leader. Upper cut
    (1d20+6)[15] dam (3d6+5)[17]
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

The warhorse rears and kicks the hobgoblin leader hard in the chest for 10 damage and 7 cold damage. The knight strikes to the side catching the hobgoblin trooper through the heart with his lance for 7 damage and 5 cold damage sending it to the ground lifeblood pumping into the soft earth.

Even as the leader tries to regain his footing and hack away at the horses forelegs Savin comes hurtling out of the mist his axe swinging down and cleaving into the side of its helmet for 15 damage and 6 cold damage, the misty bog now silent apart from the chant to Sune and the panting of the group regaining breath.

Spoiler: Lootz
    Show
    Leader:
    • MW studded leather
    • MW comp longbow (+2 Str bonus)
    • 29 cold iron arrows
    • cold iron longsword

2 troopers:
    • Studded leather
    • light wooden shield
    • cold iron longsword
    • cold iron javelin x3

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

As no new threats emerge, Anthony takes his time to pack all the loot on the mule. He does this in silence, except for one count of - "Hey, a nice bow this guy has here... willing to take a look?" - and one count of - "Done. I would certainly benefit from some healing, but other then that, ready to go."

Ans so, indeed, Anthony gets on the horse and is ready to go.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus

Kilus helps Anthony load and secure the worthwhile items salvaged from the hobgoblins.

"Sorry, I thought the blood on your arm was from the hobgoblins. You got a lot farther from us than I expected, so I didn't get to see the battle very well. You were actually too far away for my magic to do much, although it doesn't seem to have mattered." He reaches over and channels a small amount of power into Anthony, whose wounds begin to heal over the next minute.

Spoiler
    Show

Lesser vigor, you should be good to go.

Is someone noting the gold salvaged down on their sheet so that we can split it later?
    Last edited by J-H; 2015-08-27 at 03:12 PM.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

With the foes despatched with speed and efficiency, Temiryl takes the opportunity to do a little scouting. Following the fresh tracks, she heads in the direction that the hobgoblins have just come from, getting a feel for the terrain and keeping eyes and ears open in case other patrols from the keep may have been alerted. After going a few hundred feet or so, she heads back to the others to report, lest she becomes separated from them in the mist.
    Last edited by Dexam; 2015-08-27 at 07:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

"Gods but that thing is ugly." William shakes his head in amazement at the groteque, outsized toad. His lips are still purple-blue from the magical chill.

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    "Hey, a nice bow this guy has here... willing to take a look?"
    "Yeah ... that's nice," he adds, giving it an experimental pull. "You can't fault hobgoblin taste in the tools of war. I'm not practiced with bows this size, myself, or I'd put it to use. Better I stick with this sling," he says, patting a pouch at his side. "I actually stand a chance of hitting the target that way. Do you know where the goblinoids were getting such good-quality equipment? I don't see a maker's mark ..."

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Hmm, maybe an Appraise check to guess at the origin of the masterwork items? (d20+5)[13]
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thank you, Kilus. That would be be enough."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Is someone noting the gold salvaged down on their sheet so that we can split it later?
    I wrote the stuff down on my sheet. Feel free too keep an updated list of posts with the loot. Would be useful to cross-check if everithing is accounted for when it comes to sale and distribution.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    "Gods but that thing is ugly."
    As if on cue with William's words of distaste the great bloated frog-thing's corpse lets out a noisome expulsion of airs, vile flatulence seeping from the dead body causing those nearby to gag in near-comical disgust.

The party regroups quickly, taking anything of interest from the dead hobgoblins and tending to wounds. Checking the patrol leaders items it's not possible to tell whether they are of hobgoblin or human manufacture, or indeed where they might have originated from.

While the others organise Temiryl scouts the immediate area that the enemy came from. The moist earth soon becomes quite soggy and wet, and while able to be negotiated it is certainly not easy footing. The smell of woodsmoke mixes with marsh-reek and ahead, perhaps 500ft away through the mist and bog, she can make out the faint flickering light of what must be a large fire.

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    Boggy ground ahead - movement is halved and DC of Tumble & Move Silently checks is increased +2.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2015-08-29 at 03:39 PM.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Temiryl returns to the group to report her findings.

"The path ahead becomes swampy and somewhat treacherous, so take care where you tread. I could also smell the smoke from, and just make out, a sizeable fire, maybe several hundred feet from here. I suggest we proceed with as much stealth as possible - it may be an outpost for these hobgoblins."

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Savin, wiping the blood and gore from his axe, looks on as the other speak as he moves to pick up his javelin.
    As Temiryl returns, he stows his axe and keeps his javelin handy. "Sounds like a plan." he says, voice raspy. Pointing at Thundersson he asks Anthony "What are you going to do with him? Soft, marshy ground is no place for people let alone horses such as him."

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ettin in the Playground

"Not much to do about it. I'll have to try riding through this terrain and see how it turns out. Will wait you here, worst case." - Anthony casts a spell and pats Thunder on the neck - "You go ahead, we won't be wery stealthy."

Spoiler
    Show
    Mage Armor

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Krag looks at the metal carefully, "It ain't dwarf craft for sure" before catching up with the others. "I don't like the greenskins. They must be up to trouble." he mutters as he looks about the swamp before drawing a wand and summing a shield of force around himself.
    Spoiler: mage armour
    Show

Use wand

At mention of the fire up ahead he nods to the others, "Wed best be cautious aye? No telling how many of the buggers there are."
    He joins the others creeping stealthily through the marsh.
    Spoiler: hide
    Show

(1d20+4)[12]

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    "You go ahead, we won't be very stealthy."
    "Nor I," agrees Wil in a quieter voice than his usual larger-than-life manner. "I know from experience that there's not much I can do about keeping these boots from making squelches and sucking sounds in damp ground. I can simply hope the targets' hearing will be muffled by the thick air."

As he speaks, William prepares a bullet in a sling, his vicious-headed morningstar clasped to his belt at the moment. He also appears to have put away the small, brightly-glowing stone that had been stuck onto the front of his shield earlier.

Show
    If a stealth check is needed, my Hide and Move Silently are both -5 taking into account Dexterity, armor and Bardic Knack. Hide (d20-5)[2], silent (d20-5)[7].

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

Your group moves through the thick mud and brackish water, toward the source of the thick smoke. Getting closer to the firelight you see a large pyre burning on an area of drier ground. Four hobgoblins tend the pyre, feeding it with saplings and small logs chopped from the surrounding woods.

Ill luck is with you as a swirling gust of heat shifts the smoke and mist. In the clearer moment one of the troopers spies your group and shouts a warning to its three colleagues. All four grab for swords and javelins.

Spoiler: info
    Show
    Initiative rolls:
    Kilus (1d20+3)[21]
    Temiryl (1d20+2)[17]
    Savin (1d20+3)[11]
    Willaim (1d20-1)[9]
    hobgobs (1d20+1)[8]
    Krag (1d20)[7]
    Anthony (1d20+2)[5]

Hobgoblins are 50ft away across normal terrain (you are on the edge of the difficult mud terrain, which you have just left). No movement penalties.

I'll edit this post with the fancy initiative table and a map when I'm next able to (not today). For now you can make any reasonable assumptions regarding positioning.

=> Kilus, Temiryl, Savin, William

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus

Kilus moves closer, and the wet earth under the hobgoblins suddenly turns into mud, as the small rise of dry land they were on turns into a mudpit.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm assuming there is still wet soil underneath them, since they're right at the edge of the muddy area geographically. If not, I'd switch to Entangle.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sof...thAndStone.htm
    This covers 3 10' squares, which is enough to catch all 4 of them. Any "extra" space in the squares is away from us, not towards (so that we can move to the edge of it, and the hobgoblins, unhindered).

Reflex DC is 16 or be caught in mud for 1d2 rounds
    Last edited by J-H; 2015-09-02 at 08:29 AM.
    Campaign Logs:

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Savin, seeing hobgoblins, tries to sneak forward but is seen with the others.
    "Damned flaming hells!" he spits out as their heads swivel in the groups direction. Standing from his crouch he rushes forward and launches his javelin at one of hobgoblins.

Spoiler
    Show

Savin
    AC ~ 17; Current ~ 17
    HP ~ 22; Current ~ 22
    AP ~ 6; Current ~ 6

Move forward 25ft

Standard Action
    Throw javelin at Hobgoblin # (1d4)[4]
    (1d20+7)[8]

Damage
    (1d6+4)[5]

Critical -20/x2
    (1d20+7)[19]
    (1d6+4)[7]

Effects ~

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing the hobgoblins clustered around the pyre, Temiryl begins gesturing and chanting in a droning, sonorous tone, her fingers dipping into a pouch at her belt and pulling forth some rose petals.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Sleep, aiming for as many hobgoblins as possible. Will DC 15 negates (DC 16 if any are denied Dex at the start of my next round).
    Last edited by Dexam; 2015-09-02 at 08:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Abandoning his fruitless attempt at stealth, William steps smartly forward across the drier ground separating the adventurers from the new bog, whipping a bullet at the closest foe as he goes.

Show
    Well, I was going to roll Spellcraft to see if I recognize the sleep, but, uh, the skill is trained only, and guess who hasn't invested a single point yet? Durrh, I'ma thmartbard. Therefore sling, possibly waking back up someone who was about to be gently put down.

Sling attack at the hobbo in N25: (d20+1)[6], dealing (d4+2)[4] on a hit. I'll happily take any to-hit bonus for the target being asleep and/or unable to move.
    Move action: walk from O35 to N31 (happily taking advantage of the lack of movement penalties). I'll drop the sling and draw my morningstar as part of the move.

Current games list

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

As the hobgoblins step away from the bonfire and draw swords Kilus speaks his words of magic. The earth beneath their boots slumps and three of them stumble, struggling to keep their feet in the suddenly thick mud. Savin throws a javelin as he closes but the weapon sails wide, and behind him Temiryl starts on her own magical spellcasting. William advances too, dropping his sling and drawing his morning star as his sling stone goes astray.

Silhouetted against the burning pyre the hobgoblins curse and struggle to regroup in the clinging mud. One of them manages to get himself clear, advancing through the smoke and slashing at Savin who dodges the blow.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    hobgoblin vs savin
    longsword (1d20+2)[9] Miss damage (1d8+1)[3]

Spoiler: Initiative - Rounds 1-2
    Show
    Character Initiative Health Notes
    Kilus 21 16/16
    Temiryl 17 18/18
    • Outsider (Native) Type
    • Immune to Sleep
    • +2 saves vs Enchantment
    • Expeditious Dodge: Gain +2 dodge bonus when you move 40 feet in a round
    Savin 11 30/30
    • Jotunbrud - treated as Large
    William 9 24/24
    • immune to Charisma drain/damage
    Hobgoblins 8
    • 3 are stuck in mud (can't move)
    Krag 7 26/26
    • Dwarven saves +2 vs poison/magic
    • Stability +4 bullrush/trip
    • +4 dodge vs giants
    • Shield: +4 shield bonus to AC. Immune magic missile.
    Anthony 5 Anthony: 24/24
    Thunder: 30/30
    • Stand still: Replace AoO with Ref save to halt move
    • Knowledge devotion (humanoids) +?
    • Cover behind the horse when targeted, get +4 AC for the rest of the round and lose AoOs
    • Saddleback: Take 10 on Ride. Substitute Ride check

Spoiler: Map
    Show

No fancy terrain effects for this combat, other than max 120ft vision due to mist.

=> Party
    Post in any order and I'll resolve in order of posting, unless you indicate otherwise.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

Temiryl completes her Sleep spell, targeting the trio of hobgoblins trying to free themselves of the mud. Drawing her longsword and moving forward to stand alongside William, she chants another quick spell to try and befuddle the hobgoblin attacking Savin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to O31.
    Cast Daze at hobgoblin in K19, Will save DC 14 negates.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus
    Kilus moves closer; as he does, he whispers a few words, and a small burst of light appears in front of the eyes of the closest hobgoblin as it recovers from its missed sword swing.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to O31, Flare on the hobgoblin in K29. Fort DC 14 or dazzled (-1 to attack rolls) for the last minute of its life.
    Campaign Logs:

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Among the spells' words and warcries of his companions, William suddenly finds his voice, calling out, "A true blow to fell these wretches! Savin, Anthony -- strike with all your heart!" The shout carries a little of the magic of William's goddess, energizing the party. He glances over at Temiryl's positioning before advancing to the one unstuck hobgoblin.

Show
    Standard action to start a normal bardsong (+1 save versus charm/fear, +1 attack, +1 weapon damage). Move action to walk from N31 to N30, M29, L28.

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony rides closer to hobgoblins, taking considerably to the right and looking further ahead just as much as at the intended target. Then he strikes with the lance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge devotion for +2. Riding to H27I28. Attacking at K29.

Spot (1d20+1)[5]
    Lance (1d20+11)[14] for (1d8+7)[14]

Iron guard's glare is active.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Krag grins as the others get ready to fight. A muttered blessing to Moradin before he rumbles out at high speed, flying through the air fist outstretched....

Spoiler: Krag
    Show

Move to L30 and punch K29

(1d20+4)[19] dam (1d6+3)[4]

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

As Anthony comes charging up, Savin dodges the blow aimed at his heart.
    "You be dead now!" he says as he unslings his ax and lashes out with it.

Spoiler
    Show

Savin
    AC ~ 17; Current ~ 21
    HP ~ 22; Current ~ 22
    AP ~ 6; Current ~ 6

Move action
    take out Battle ax

Standard Action
    Attack K-19
    (1d20+9)[17]

Damage
    (1d8+9)[16]

Critical -20/x2
    (1d20+9)[18]
    (2d8+18)[28]

Effects ~
    Iron Guard's Glare = -4 to AC
    Inspiration = +1 to hit and damage

Last edited by razorback; 2015-09-09 at 02:32 PM.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

Temiryl works her way through the final words and gestures of her sleep spell. The three hobgoblins struggling with the magically altered muddy ground all slump to the dirt, appearing dead but actually snoring softly. As the final one closes with Savin she casts again and its eyes blink as it loses track of its surroundings momentarily, dazed by her spell. Kilus also gestures and small lights twinkle in front of it but it seems unaffected.

Anthony rides around, circling and coming up from the side. He takes the dazed hobgoblin in the side with his lance for 14 damage, sending it sprawling on the ground in a bloodied heap before it even knows what has happened.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    hobgoblin vs Daze
    Will DC14 (1d20-1)[8] Fail

hobgoblin vs Flare
    Fort DC14 (1d20+4)[17] Save

There are no more active opponents immediately obvious. The three sleeping hobgoblins lie where they fell. Smoke pumps from the bonfire, making it hard to see too much. Glancing to the north you think that you can just barely make out the shapes of several small structures or huts about 150 feet distant. You can't really see any movement or creatures at this range.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

Thunder makes another step forward and Anthony plants his lance straight in the eye of one of the snoring hobgoblins, but more concerned about what does what further north near the huts.

"Scout ahead, will you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Step to I26J27, target K24.

Granted: (1d3)[2]
    Coup de grace: take damage and roll fortitude DC 10 + (3d8+21)[33]
    Passive listen: (1d20+1)[11]

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus

Kilus watches as the others finish off the trapped hobgoblins. He doesn't mind, but he's not eager to join in. He turns to Temyril. "Will you scout ahead again?"
    Campaign Logs:

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Temiryl nods to Anthony and Kilus. Leaving the others with the slightly gruesome task of despatching the sleeping hobgoblins, she disappears into the smog with bow and arrow readied, heading in the direction of the structures.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide: (1d20+8)[19]
    Move Silently: (1d20+8)[23]
    Spot: (1d20+9)[16]
    Listen: (1d20+9)[19]

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Savin retrieves his javelin, then looks at Temiryl. "Take the right and I'll take the left. Keep about twenty or thirty feet from us, eh?"
    With that Savin moves out, javelin in one hand with his axe in the other.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide
    (1d20+7)[19]

Move silently
    (1d20+7)[21]

Listen
    (1d20+6)[23]

Spot
    (1d20+5)[15]