New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Tearing of the Weave IC

William gives a slight shudder as Anthony spears another hobgoblin to a relatively clean death. "Well, it's never beautiful," he murmurs. Without speaking, he performs some sort of complicated gesture once each time over the three fallen goblinoids who had no final chance to fight for their lives. "The martial races are less likely to rise and seek vengeance as revenants if their warrior spirit is appeased," he explains to no one in particular.

The priest recovers and reloads his sling, then awaits Temiryl and Savin's return to the fire.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony finishes the remaining hobgoblins and follows Savin and Temiryl, either a hundred feet behind them, if he can see their shapes in the mist, or just forty feet north from the fire at slow pace.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move silently (Thunder): (1d20+1)[10]
    Don't move silently (Anthony): (1d20-4)[5]

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

Temiryl and Savin skirt forward toward the signs of habitation, Anthony trailing them and an equal distance between them and the rest of the party who remain at the battle site.

Fifty feet ahead, through the smog and mist is an encampment. Ten or so smaller tents are arranged in a rough circle around a much larger central tent. Fifty feet or so beyond, barely visible through the clinging pollution is the structure of Nightshade Hold itself. From what you can make out the keep is a small building, maybe two stories high and hardly worthy of a name. It more closely resembles a large crumpling building than an effective defensive fortification.

Observing the encampment you can see four hobgoblin guards at sentry points equidistant around the camp. Also visible squatting just outside the larger tent is another grotesque toad-mount with an archer saddled atop it. From where you are, lurking close to the muddy ground, the hobgoblins don't appear to have seen or heard you yet.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Savin squats low once he sees the encampment, flagging down Temiryl and the others to move back.

Once everyone has backed up to a safe location away from any prying eyes, he sketches out what he saw with some additions from what Temiryl could see from his vantage.

"I made out four of the hobbie guards and one of those huge toad things, but there could be a dozen or two more of them if we aren't lucky. We can try to take out the guards quietly and slay any of the hob's while they sleep but that way seems fraught with risk."

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

"Speaking of sleep ..." Wil looks thoughtful. "Temiryl, I presume that was your spell? If you can do that again, I can give a bit of aid, a minor magick that helps creatures drift off. If we can make the sentries on one side of the camp ineffective ... Hm, there's still the toad-archer to contend with. Not good odds of sneaking in from the side, even as far as the east entrance, and we might not be able to open the doors quietly when we got there. I suspect we'll have to fight if we want to get in." He gestures with his morningstar as he speaks, pointing at parts of Savin's sketch.

Standing with small clicks and creaks as his armor shifts, Williams says, "I see three options. We can come back with whatever aid we might muster, traveling two ways past increasingly annoyed fey. We can try to draw off a contingent to do battle in smaller groups -- though if this camp has bows like the other group we encountered, that's a poor prospect. Or we can pray for luck and make our best assault. What are your thoughts?"

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Krag looks at the tent and hobgoblins and shrugs. "Ah say we take 'em. We've all got a few magic tricks we can rustle up and then we leap in and pound 'em all into green paste. Anothony and his fancy lookin' horse will turn that big ole' frog into kebab faster than we can run."

Spoiler: Krag
    Show

Suggesting cast a couple of buff spells then we can wade into the camp and kick some hobgoblin arse.
    If we go into the centre as a group they can't isolate and flank us and we can gang up on each hogboblin as they reach us.

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony looks at the drawing, assessing the situation.

"I want an entangle across this whole side of the camp, including the toad, but only near the edge so I can charge it. I want this done as soon as any hobo tries to move and no later. Then I will want another one over this side as soon as I am out of there, but leave me able to do outer tents." - waves a largest possible circle that has a lot of the camp and the central tent in it, and leaves the toad on the edge, then waves another similar circle, partly overlapping with the first - "At least that's the plan. These things tend to change, don't they? I doubt we can get anyone to help us anytime soon, but we can try to retreat and regroup if it comes to that, or just retreat anyway. No objections if anyone first tries a stealthy approach. Once the things are hot, anyone who's shooting please target the toad."

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Drawing encouragement from Krag and Anthony's feelings on the group's chances, William nods calmly. When Anthony says,

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    "Once the things are hot, anyone who's shooting please target the toad."
    William jumps back in. "Toad or archer? If they stay together, the bow will be dangerous but the tongue won't."

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

"I've a suggestion," says Temiryl, timidly, "It's a bit risky, but well... I could cast a spell to disguise myself as one of the hobgoblins, and approach the camp with a story about being under attack by Fey or some swamp-beast. That way I can lead some of them back here into an ambush - I could even create an illusion that will hide the group until we're ready to attack."

She frowns. "The biggest risk is that I've never learned to speak the foul goblin language, though hopefully I could impress enough urgency in them that they don't notice the use of the common tongue. What does everyone think?"

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Savin listens and rubs the stubble on his chin, the raspy sound audible to everyone as a reminder that they have been away from town for some time now. "You know... he intones "another risky option is to take the building. If we can get in, we could fend them off a bit easier, creating pinch points at the doors or any other openings. The would lessen the immediate impact of their numbers. Of course, we don't know what's in there, so we run the risk of fighting on two fronts, which is never a recipe for success." Finding the bug in his facial hair, he squishes it between his fingers without looking at it. Wiping it on his armor, he points to Temiryl "Your plan carries risk but not any greater than mine, maybe less."

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    "Toad or archer? If they stay together, the bow will be dangerous but the tongue won't."
    "The toad. I don't want this to be a shooting contest. Not very good at shooting. So, I'm coming in and trying to deal with them both. The archer will be dealt with in due time, but the toad has a mouth as large as I am and this is where things are getting tricky - I don't have much practice of fighting creatures from inside of them."

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    "...That way I can lead some of them back here into an ambush..."
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    "...another risky option is to take the building..."
    "The problem with these plans is basically the same - both plans risk creating the situation where we have "all of them" against "all of us". I'd rather strive not to have this situation. The keep is also a trap, even if no one is there. We'll have a shooting contest and if we lose, we either burn or get out of it."

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    [COLOR="#8B4513"]"The problem with these plans is basically the same - both plans risk creating the situation where we have "all of them" against "all of us". I'd rather strive not to have this situation. The keep is also a trap, even if no one is there. We'll have a shooting contest and if we lose, we either burn or get out of it."
    Temiryl stares at Anthony in disbelief. "I'm sorry, but how is possibly drawing them all into an ambush less risky than charging up and attacking the entire encampment? I think it unlikely that they would leave their camp completely defenseless, whereas a direct assault will definitely involve all of them." She shakes her head. "Your plan depends on the assumption that there is enough vegetation around the encampment for an Entangle spell to even work; and you seem to have forgotten that we can't just charge in and out - anyone wishing to engage in melee will need to slog through knee-deep swamp muck at a snail's pace first. Assuming those sentries aren't just for show, as soon they catch sight of us they'll raise the alarm and have to endure several volleys of missile fire before we could engage with them. Then, it's either victory, or death or capture, because a quick retreat certainly won't be an option. No, I say we choose our ground, where we know that spells will function in our favour and we can retreat if necessary, and bring them to us."

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony shrugged. He was nowhere close to being persuaded, but was not in the mood for arguing either.

"Fine. I'll take care for myself and will participate in whatever plan the lot of you will agree on. Your lives, your choice. Want me wait here? I'll wait."

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Savin looks irriated as he raises his hand, trying to keep his voice calm.
    "So, we have 3 basic plans. One:We can assault the main camp, using magic to try and keep some at bay while we take apart the rest quickly. Two: We can try to take the building and hope we can keep the outside occupied long enough to deal with whatever is inside. Three: We can set up a trap or ambush and lure these hob's into it, again using magic slow down the brunt of the force while we deal with smaller groups. I think that one and three leave us with the problem of trying to assault the building once we have dealt with those outside. Attacking a fortified position, no matter how weak, magnifies the problems threefold, at least. I think plan three is the safest... smartest but leaves a bigger headache later on."

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

"We have also the option of laying in ambush here - eventually someone will come to investigate or relieve the hobgoblins we have slain. We could capture and interrogate them; however, I get the impression that patience does not feature strongly in human combat tactics. If we do choose the first option, I can create the illusion of a fog bank to mask the sight, though not the sound, of our approach." She taps her chin thoughtfully. "Maybe if someone else could cast a Ghost Sound spell to cover the sound of our movement?"

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm sorry to complicate things," William interjects, "but I just realized we may well be able to take the door from within. Even assuming we can't find another entrance to the Keep on a different side, Kilus may well be able to create one -- by asking the spirits to weaken the ground beneath an already crumbling wall!"

"Here's what I suggest. Temiryl and Savin can scout around the sides. Krag, you join them; if anyone knows stonework, it's a dwarf. If you find a likely spot, come back and get us, and we'll go together to open it up. In the meantime, Savin and Anthony and I will watch here for new patrols. We can take a handful of hobgoblins at a time without worry, I'd say, so if patrols are sent, they're simply draining the strength of the main camp."

The priest looks pleased and far more optimistic than he did when offering options a few minutes before.

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus
    Kilus has been looking on, a bit lost in this discussion of military tactics and assaults. None of the skirmishes he's participated in have ever been this big, so he's trying to learn quickly; beyond this problem looms greater ones, and he knows he will need every advantage he can muster.

Still, when mentioned he's happy to contribute. "There are limits to what can be done. I cannot bring down a wall unless built on mud, and I think knocking it down would tell everyone we are here. Perhaps we should simply try to sneak up to the gate in the fog?"
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

After discussing matters for several more minutes the plan is set. Temiryl and Savin will scout the surrounding area and see if they can get any further information regarding the keep or the camp.

Slipping quietly into the mud they are quickly up to their armpits, weapons held high to keep them free. The camp and the keep look to be positioned on the only dry-ish ground around here. Skirting around the camp they don't see anything new. Four sentries are posted around the perimeter and in the central area near the larger tent squats a giant toad and its rider. The camp seems quiet, there is no sign of further activity. They turn their attention to the small ruined keep fifty feet beyond.

Moving closer to the keep they confirm that the ground in front of its entrances is mostly boggy with a few solid patches of earth. It would be difficult to negotiate at speed. Stationed just outside the keep in front of the entrances is another squad of hobgoblins - two footsoldiers and an archer mounted on a toad. The keep itself is a mess. Clearly once a much larger structure the upper floors and towers have collapsed down leaving two stories standing surrounded by the fallen masonry. Sound is muffled by the smog but the sound of a hammer and anvil can faintly be heard ringing out from within the walls. Other than the persistent sound there is no sign of life from within the ruin. The only two visible entrances are those already noted - a large ruined archway and a set of smaller double doors.

After observing for a short while they make their way back to the rest of the group.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay, so assault the camp as planned? Let me know if you're ready to hit it and I'll post up a map and initiative etc.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony rode through deep bog, slowly and keeping the head down, in part because he did not want to make excess noise and in part because he did not want to spill an open potion he held with his teeth. He was following more stealthy types, expecting to be heard some time before he gets to dry land, but was able to get there without any obvious alarm being raised. He was ready to act following a signal from the scouts.

Spoiler: After a signal from the scouts
    Show
    Anthony gulps the potion and spits the vial, riding forward between the tents and trying not to make excess noise.

Gulping shield of faith.
    Riding to AJ47AK48 N23O23 "silently" (1d20-4)[14] (1d20-9)[-5].
    Granted (1d5)[3] and next round (1d4)[3].
    Stand still for AoOs against moving targets, damage against other targets.
    Take cover when targeted.
    Iron guard's glare is active.
    Init is (1d20+2)[21]
    Last edited by u-b; 2015-09-30 at 09:55 AM.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

As the others finish their plans, Savin is one of the first too move out as he has the most distance to cover. Skirting around to the far side of the small cropping, he moves, squatting low in shallows with just his eyes and nose protruding from the water. Keeping to the marshy undergrowth, he crawls along the ground as far as he can, the squats on the ground, javelin in one hand and axe in the others, as he waits for everyone to get into position.

Spoiler
    Show

Savin
    AC ~ 17; Current ~ 17
    HP ~ 30; Current ~ 30
    AP ~ 6; Current ~ 6

Move to F-50

Hide
    (1d20+7)[18]

Move Silently
    (1d20+7)[25]

Listen
    (1d20+6)[13]

Spot
    (1d20+5)[22]

Initiative
    (1d20+3)[13]

Effects ~

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus
    As he steps out of the muck, Kilus squats low to the ground. His hands grasp some of the grasses and reeds before plunging into the mud with a grasping motion. He stays motionless for a few seconds before rising and wiping most of the mud off. In the distance, quiet rustling is audible as the vegetation begins to move.

Spoiler
    Show

Standing at W23.
    Entangle K15/L16, reflex DC 15.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/entangle.htm
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

Once the group had formulated its plans, Temiryl begins gesturing and chanting, waving around a small tuft of unspun sheep's wool. The illusion of fog bank begins to form near the southern edge of the bog island, startig as a thin wisp of haze and slowly growing to a full, thick cloud. Satisfied that the appearance of the dense "fog" has raised no alarm from the camp, she indicates to the others that it is okay to move forward unseen. Once the others enter the fog, they quickly notice it's illusory nature - there's no cool dampness one would expect, and the formerly sight-obscuring cloud becomes semi-transparent.

Temiryl creeps forward, silent and unseen through the mire. When she reaches the island of dryness, she crouches low, leaving the area of the concealing fog illusion. She skirts the edge of the island until she spies the eastern-most sentry. Temiryl nocks an arrow to her bowstring and waits until she judges the others to be in position. The signal to attack is given: she stops concentrating on her spell and the image of the fog cloud instantly vanishes!

As soon as William begins his song, Temiryl rises from the marsh and looses the arrow at her target.

Spoiler: Surprise round actions
    Show
    Standard action: shoot at hobgoblin in O34 from W33.
    Attack: (1d20+4)[7]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[9]
    Dragonfrost: (2d6)[9]

Missed; that'd be right...
    Last edited by Dexam; 2015-09-30 at 11:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

William's Celestial call to Sune seems to cut the air and cause the fog to be replaced with patches of frost falling near his companions' weapons. As the hobgoblins' attention snaps toward his position, he holds his morningstar high and takes another deep breath to continue the song.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    On the assumption that we'll face the bulk of the fighting here, I'm spending my second (and last) 1st-level bard spell to improve Dragonfrost Inspiration to 2d6 cold. Swift action for inspirational boost, standard action to start the bardsong.

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ettin in the Playground

The fog draws close around the hobgoblins encampment making the sentries job even harder. Diligently the guards stay at their posts, oblivious to the danger creeping closer under cover of the mist.

At the signal the party breaks cover. The song of Sune rings out through the marsh carrying sparkles of chill mystical energy with it. Cantering through the smog Anthony bears down on the grotesque toad and it's rider as they turn and try to meet him. Cries ring out from the sentries as arrows fly. As they do the very earth erupts as vines and roots thrash about grasping and pulling at anything near...

=> Krag (surprise action)
    then it's the toadie on initiative 23

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    toad rider (1d20+3)[23]
    Anthony (1d20+2)[21]
    Savin (1d20+3)[13]
    Hobgoblins (1d20+1)[10]
    Kilus (1d20+3)[7]
    Temiryl (1d20+2)[6]
    Krag (1d20)[4]
    William (1d20-1)[2]

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

Krag advances towards the enemy forces***.

Anthony steps a bit to north-east and does his best to help Thunder kick the toad to death while it's still flat-footed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Leading the attack: (1d20+9)[24] for either* (1d8+6)[13] piercing or (1d4+6)[7] bludgeoning and (2d6)[7] cold
    Bite**: (1d20+5)[22] for (1d4+2)[5] bludgeoning and (2d6)[8] cold
    Hoof**: (1d20+10)[21] for (1d6+4)[6] bludgeoning cold iron and (2d6)[9] cold
    Hoof**: (1d20+10)[30] for (1d6+4)[8] bludgeoning cold iron and (2d6)[7] cold

End turn in M24N25.
    Stand still for AoOs against moving targets, damage against other targets.
    Take cover when targeted.
    Iron guard's glare is active.
    Mage armor on thunder since #461 has either expired or not.

*If Anthony can attack with the lance and then have Thunder full-attack, he'll do just that. Otherwise, he bashes with the shield for less damage and -2 AC.
    **If Anthony's attack misses, these are at -4.
    ***Somewhere he does not become a primary concern of the toad-rider. To be specified before initiative 10.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

Bearing down on the toad it blinks and turns its head slowly - too slowly to react in time as the horseman of Mystra strikes efficiently with his lance for 13 damage and 7 cold damage. Sweeping past the horse also lashes out with hooves and bite for 5, 6 & 7 damage and 8, 9 & 7 cold damage. The toad slumps to the ground, twitching but quite dead as the rider leaps free. He shouts an alarm to the troopers as he steps back and at close range lets fly with an arrow at Anthony, who deftly catches it on his shield.

Show
    Toad rider
    Soft fall: Ride check (1d20+10)[15]
    5ft step
    Lonbow vs Anthony (1d20+7)[24] Miss damage (1d8+2)[7]

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Toad rider has a yellow halo
    Entangle effect still to be added to map
    @Razorback - hopefully I've got Savin in the right spot? Feel free to amend if I've got it wrong.
    Fancy initiative/ effects table to be added this evening when I get a bit more time :-)

=> Savin
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2015-10-05 at 02:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing everyone move, Savin stands as he drops his javelin, bringing his ax above his head as he charges the goblinoid, a feral glint in his eyes, as he keeps his mouth clenched together from yelling out, giving a weird growl as he descends on the hobgoblin.

Spoiler
    Show

Position was good. Not sure what I was looking at, map wise.

Savin
    AC ~ 17; Current ~ 15
    HP ~ 30; Current ~ 30
    AP ~ 6; Current ~ 6

Full Round Action
    Charge to D-23

Attack with Battle Ax two handed
    (1d20+12)[21]

Damage
    (1d8+6)[8] + (2d6)[11] cold

Critical 20/x3
    (1d20+12)[32]
    (2d8+12)[18]

Effects ~
    Charge = +2 to hit and -2 to AC
    Inspirational Dragonfire Inspire = +2 to hit and +2+2d6 cold damage (I think I got this right).

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ettin in the Playground

Twisting to see his companion cry out and the toad fallen under the hooves of a rider and horse, the sentry barely has time to register the axe-wielding man bearing down on him Thunk!. Savin chops down for 6 damage and 11 cold damage sending the hobgoblin sprawling dead in the dirt.

Other guards cry out and grab their weapons, but struggle, startled as vines and roots entwine and tangle them. Cries from inside the tents indicate other hobgoblins have been caught by the magically agitated plant-life as well. One guard bursts from the main tent, struggling through the creepers as another runs at Anthony hacking futilely with its sword. On the south flank sentries spy the party and rush to engage, one hurling a javelin as he does which catches Krag a glancing blow for 2 damage.

Show
    hobgoblin vs Krag
    javelin (1d20+2)[21] Hit damage (1d6+1)[2]

hobgoblin vs Anthony
    Charge! longsword (1d20+4)[14] Miss damage (1d8+1)[3]

Spoiler: Initiative - Rounds 1-2
    Show
    Character Initiative Health Notes
    Anthony 27 Anthony: 24/24
    Thunder: 30/30
    • Stand still: Replace AoO with Ref save to halt move
    • Knowledge devotion (humanoids) +2
    • Cover behind the horse when targeted, get +4 AC for the rest of the round and lose AoOs
    • Saddleback: Take 10 on Ride. Substitute Ride check
    • Shield of Faith +2 AC
    • Dragonfrost Inspiration. +2d6 cold damage
    Hobgoblin toad rider 23
    • Entangled
    Savin 13 30/30
    • Jotunbrud - treated as Large
    Hobgoblins 10
    Kilus 7 16/16
    Temiryl 6 18/18
    • Outsider (Native) Type
    • Immune to Sleep
    • +2 saves vs Enchantment
    • Expeditious Dodge: Gain +2 dodge bonus when you move 40 feet in a round
    Krag 4 24/26
    • Dwarven saves +2 vs poison/magic
    • Stability +4 bullrush/trip
    • +4 dodge vs giants

Spoiler: Map
    Show

=> Kilus, Temiryl, Krag, William, Anthony
    Post in any order and I'll resolve in order of posting, unless you indicate otherwise.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

His holy chant rolling out across the encampment, Wil strides steadily forward to clash with the nearest standing foe.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    On the map I seem to be kinda on the edge of camp. If the terrain here isn't penalizing my walk, I'll charge the hobgoblin in T20. If a charge isn't possible, move-then-attack probably isn't either, so my second choice would be just double-moving to end up in T21.

Attack with a charge: (d20+6)[24] to hit, (d8+2)[10] coldiron bludgeon+pierce and (2d6)[7] cold damage. If I charge, my AC goes down to 15.

Current games list

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

Cursing quietly in Elven at the boggy mire that sucks at her legs as she moves, Temiryl slogs her way to the relatively drier ground between two tents. Realising that she is still too far away to affect any hobgoblins with the majority of her spells, she launches another arrow at her previous target, who is now threatening Anthony and Thunder.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move 30' to T29.
    Fire an arrow at hobgoblin in N26.

Attack: (1d20)[8] (includes -4 penalty for firing into melee)
    Damage: (1d8+2)[8]
    Cold: (2d6)[5]