New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Tearing of the Weave IC

Anthony pockets the letters.

"Thanks. Does Cloten tell much about "Wingclipper" and the purpose of all this cold iron?" - meanwhile Anthony hears Temiryl asking half of that from Cloten himself - "And we will need to locate and identify the person, so ask him that too."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Savin stands back and watches as the others question Cloten, mostly for the intimidation factor more than anything else, but keeps quiet as he scowls.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fintan

A small thrill washes over Fintan. A charter to bear arms world give him pretense to traipse about building a reputation as a hero and great Lord.

Mother will be pleased.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-04-17 at 12:58 AM. Reason: French autocorrect?? seriously?
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Krag looked at the others before smiling. Shall we toast our victory with ale and mead and set out at first light?
    With so many of us is there a horse and wagon we could rent?

He lets the others take any lead in the interrogation, keen to know the situation is but anxious to not be involved.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

"Unless we rent it with the driver, I think they will ask for quite a lot of collateral, maybe about the same as it costs to buy the wagon in first place. I will be procuring a mule, with a pack saddle, so we can have two hundred pounds worth of transportation with no problem at all. I suppose you can buy a cart if you need more transportation, it won't be expensive if you can tolerate it having no springs."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

The wererat looks up, groggy from its wounds but still full of hatred. As it speaks, you could swear you see its whiskers elongate then subside, almost as if its subtly shifting between man and rat. "I only met Wingclipper once. No, I don't know his real name. Tall guy, thin with tangled black hair & beard. He was missing an eye. Normally he sends a couple of his men to pick up the goods and take them back to Thunderstone. They just lefta couple days ago. You can recognise them as they have flames tattooed up their forearms. I don't know what he does with the cold iron. I figured if he was making enemies at least I'd get myself one of those weapons in case we crossed paths."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Savin takes mental note of Cloten's description of Windclipper.
    Later, as the group confers he responds with "I prefer my own to feet or a horse to a cart, but a victory drink seems in order. First light sounds good."

8. - Top - End - #248

Fintan

"I fear the day has taxed me. I'll retire and meet you at daybreak."

He would commune with Mother this night. She promised him new Gifts as his quest to restore and avenge their House progressed.

The Obarskys shall pay, Mother. And you shall finally find your rest.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-04-19 at 12:16 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+1)[13]

"I do hope that you are being honest with us, Cloten Miller. Although you cannot be forgiven for the choices you made that lead you into such a life of greed and theft, maybe the gods can find some small mercy on you for the actions you have committed while under this curse. For that, you have my pity." Temiryl turns and walks away.

Later, as the group confers about the group's next course of action, the elf maid nervously raises the topic of the owlbear once again. "The owlbear concerns me. I fear that it may turn to preying on the villagers now that its source of, um, food scavenged from the miller has ceased. I know little of the ways of humans, so if it is decided to venture to Thunderstone, please promise that we will return shortly to deal with the potential threat the owlbear poses? This small community has suffered a great deal already; I would hate to see it suffer more from a problem that we could have prevented."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Temiryl and the others complete their interrogation of the wererat Cloten. Now that he's been caught, and the evidence is irrefutable, he seems to be telling the truth (at least as well as you can tell).

The mention of "tattooed flames" gives Anthony cause to ponder a moment. He can't recall any specific instances of that particular design having relevance around Cormyr. Occasionally mercenaries or bandits in these parts might tattoo their symbol upon themselves, as might cultists or goblinoids.

After completing the questioning the party peruse the wares of the few meagre shops and merchant wagons that the village has on offer. There's not much really interesting, but the basics are covered. Back at the Sylvan Glade Inn the barkeep Durmain greets you with a warm smile. "Thank you friends, I am in your debt! I thought I would have that mystery hanging over me until the day I died. Here, drinks and food are on me tonight. There's lodging upstairs arranged for you too. Please, enjoy yourselves."

The evening passes as you all either gather in the common room or pursue your own activities, eventually all retiring for the evening.

3rd of Kythorn, Early Summer, 1375 DR

You rise again the following morning refreshed and ready...the sun is shining, it is a good day for travelling.

Show
    Alright team, time to level up if you haven't already. Spells prepped & any goodies bought. A mule and wand scraps are allowed.

11. - Top - End - #251

Fintan

Rising with the dawn, Fintan exults in the new power flowing through him. Nothing could defeat him. With a mere thought he could enhance his reflexes, focus his mind or even make himself heartier.

Bless you Mother! I shall not disappoint you!

Firstthings first, he would need to get some access to magical healing. He could not restore House Calantar in a shallow grave.

Spoiler: Level Up and Purchasing
    Show
    Took level of Warlock, Dark One's Own Luck invocation, and if I read correctly and have 750 gp, am buying a Belt of Healing, if within the gp limit of the town.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

"It worked out for everyone, friend Durmain. It eases my mind that you and your folk here can sleep at night a little easier because of what we were able to accomplish. I relish in your contribution and promise not to spend the whole night emptying your kegs." the towering northern says, then orders some food and drink but keeps his promise and only has a couple of pints while enjoying the company around him. He is one of the first up to bed and up to rise, having breakfast as the others come down.
    Once the whole company is assembled, he says "Once the rest of you who wish to break your fast are ready, I say we get on the road." he says as he leans back in his chair, letting out a loud burp as he does.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Krag looks across at Temiryl before nodding. "Its a concern but the matter of a criminal gang and the threat they bring must outweigh a lone owlbear in the woods. If the beast has been fed recently by Cloten and his gang it will be quiet. As a matter of precaution it may be best to just not have the villagers head too near the lair until we return."

Spoiler: Levelling up
    Show

Yeah!, so some hitpoints. Some Craft (Alchemy). 2 new spells (wall of smoke and grease)
    Spent some money on some wands.... saved the rest for later

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony exits his room with a book in hand, walks down the stairs, sits at a table near the window and orders the breakfast - anything that is there to be had, he's more interested in the stories about the reigns of Galaghard. While Anthony was already somewhat familiar with texts about those events, it was nevertheless a captivating reading.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anthony is ready to leave 30 minutes after everyone else is.
    Last edited by u-b; 2015-04-21 at 12:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

After gathering and breaking fast the party sets out for the day's travel, well prepared. The village of Hultail quickly fades from sight as you head east through the fields and gently rolling countryside. The Thunder Peaks tower ahead of you, still shrouded in lingering stormclouds even this time of year. To the north the dark woods of Hullack Forest press up against the river that the trail follows, and to the south the lands subtly fall away to the dank miasma of the Vast Swamp many miles in the distance.

War and unrest has struck all parts of Cormyr over recent years, and it's not long before you come across the aged remnants of a half-burned wagon. Anything of value has long ago been scavenged and it is impossible to tell whether the attackers were bandits, humanoids or something else entirely. Moving on the rest of the day passes uneventfully. Crows, hares and other wildlife share the sun-drenched environment with you. Early afternoon you do spot a trio of winged humanoid shapes flying across the forest in the distance but they are quickly gone and the vague figures do not reappear. A couple of merchant caravans trundle past, traders and guards wary but polite. The few words spoken conveying relief at having traversed the mountains and now being in more civilized lands.

As the sun draw low in the sky and the mountains and foothills grow larger ahead of you, you spy the settlement of your destination Thunderstone. The small stone buildings sit nestled snug against the Thunder River at the very base of the foothills. An old stone bridge spans the river and you note a detachment of the Crown's heavily armed elite Purple Dragons standing guard.

The town itself is busy with merchants and caravan guards filling the various inns, having recently traversed the mountains from the Dalelands or about to run the gauntlet. Hardened Purple Dragons stand guard in prominent positions clearly ready to defend the inhabitants from each others antics as well as any outside threat. Moving through the streets you note at least four inns - The Dragons' Den, The Sign of Thunder, The Bears' Den and The Furniture's Fate. The shops are starting to close but of note is a general goods store, a livery stable and an alchemist. A single shrine to Tempus services the populaces religious needs although also on the fringe of town you note a graveyard bearing emblems of Kelemvor so priests of the Lord of the Dead must be present too.

In the centre of the town square rests the Thunder Stone itself, a large boulder of strange rock that is revered almost mystically as bringing good fortune to adventurers, treasure-seekers an sell-swords.

Spoiler: Anthony - local knowledge
    Show
    The Purple Dragons of Thunderstone have a reputation as being a law into themselves and are better described as vigilantes that lawkeepers. While not bad men and women, they are prone to "rough-up" trouble makers and are more than happy to ignore the laws of the land where they view a sound beating or bullying may get them the results that they want.

=> Party

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony rides closer to nearest Purple Dragon that does not seem to be otherwise occupied.

"Good evening. We are just from Hultail and have seen some winged humanoids flying across Hullack Forest, about midway from there to here. I think there were three of them, but cannot tell for certain - they were some distance away and quickly broke visual contact. I also could not identify those flyers as to what species they were, but hope the town has no trouble with the likes of them?"

17. - Top - End - #257

Fintan

Fintan held his tongue around the Purple Dragons. The royal thugs would take any opportunity to strongarm anyone deemed a threat.

Instead, he asked around with the locals to determine the best place to purchase any enchantments.

Spoiler: Gather Information
    Show
    (1d20+3)[19]
    Where the magic shops at?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Requiring no sleep, Temiryl stays up late into the night at the Sylvan Glade tavern, sampling what provender they have on offer, though never to excess. After the other members of the group retreat to their rooms for the night the elf maid takes a short walk around Hultail to clear her head, enjoying the coolness of the night air, and the light of Selune and the stars.

Less than two days in town where I was anticipating spending a full year? No wonder the humans are so short lived, always rushing here and rushing there. Or, is it because they know they have so little time in this world, they feel they must force as much as they can into their allotted time? I shall have to consider this...

She retires to her room to trance, and meditate on the tumultuous events of the last two days.

Temiryl rises early and undertakes her morning ritual of a series of mental exercises designed to focus her magical abilities. Having used her magic for the first time in serious, genuinely life-threatening situations, she feels slightly more confident now in her abilities. She also feels somewhat pleased with herself in that she was able to contribute to the success of the group with directly causing harm.

She gathers her meager belongings and breaks fast with the others. As she travels, the others will notice that she generally keeps to herself, usually shy and reserved, although sometimes adopting a mask of haughty imperiousness if pressed. It becomes quite obvious that the elf really isn't a "people person".

Upon spying the winged humanoids in the distance, Temiryl wonders if they might be Aril-tel-quessir, the winged cousins of the elves. The Hullack Forest certainly seems dense enough to hide a community of the rare and elusive folk, and she idly considers returning at some later point to seek them out.

As they enter the town itself, Temiryl looks around somewhat nervously at the increasingly strange (to her) human buildings, as well as the number and the strangeness of the people themselves. Catching sight of the odd boulder taking pride of place in the centre of the town, she moves to investigate.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

As they enter the town, Savin gives the Purple Dragons a sour look that deepens a bit as Anthony approaches and talks to them. He understands the need for such guards but his experience with them has been mixed at best.
    "Don't know about the rest of you, but I've never been into a dragon's den, so I might as well spend the night in one." he cracks what the others assume is a smile as he walks in and asks for a room and a meal.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Krag looks about looking at the Purple Dragon thugs before shaking his head sadly and wondering forward to see the massive stone in the central square. He looks at Temiryl "So what do you think it is, it is a strange rock is it not?" Looking around he glances towards a local villager, "I am new to the town, I am looking to buy some cold iron, I'ma dwarf metal trader. Also... what is the nature of the big rock?"

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

As Anthony rides closer the Purple Dragon soldier does his best to look down his nose condescendingly at him (at least as well as one can at a man on horseback). His tired eyes warn of his irritated nature and his mustachios bristle as he responds brusquely "In Hullack Forest! Hah! All manner of foul beasts be lurking in there. Could be anything. Whatever foolishness you've got planned, don't be coming crying to us once you've stirred up a hornet's nest. See that marker there?" He points to a line of stones and tassels on the nearby bridge. "If you get in trouble in Hullack and can make it back to that marker, well maybe then we'll help you out with a blade or three. But any further out and you're on your own. Hey - come back here you swine!" The soldier hefts a cudgel and leaps into actions as he notices an inebriated caravan guard relieving himself on the Thunder Stone. The drunkard bolts away into a nearby crowd following by the outraged dragoon.

Nearby Fintan, Temiryl and Krag stand observing the sacred boulder and talking with a local smiths apprentice. "...and so that's the story of how the Stone got here. Magic of eons past, I swear, brought it down from the Thunder Peaks. Kiss it and y'ell have better fortune and less fatalities they say" he yawns "anyway, the best bet for magics is the general store One-Armed Magurk's. There or the priests, Tempus and Kelemvor, depending on what ye be needing. And there's a bit of traffic in trade season, maybe some of these caravaners might have what ye be needing." Yawn. "As for cold iron, well we do often keep some handy. Seems it ain't your lucky day though. Just yesterday a couple o' men bought out our final stores. They had a small wagon of the stuff already, and other supplies too. I heard they headed over Stag Skull Bridge and into the Forest though, so we might not see them again any time soon. I guess they could just be looking for Marshal Turnsval, but they looked a bit too serious to be out looking for a missing woodsman. Odd tattoos and all that, ye'd be best to stay well away if you ask me." Yawn. "Anyway I best be off, to try and get some shuteye. Hasn't been the best night's sleep around here of late." With that the young man moves to depart.

Off to one side Savin steps through the door of the Dragon's Den. Instantly there is hush inside as the rowdy room full of drunken off-duty Purple Dragons turn and stare at the stranger in their tavern with undisguised hostility...

=> Party

22. - Top - End - #262

Fintan

The only tales of tattooed miscreants Fintan ever heard of were of course Thayan. But they were just bogeymen and legends.

More important right now, Fintan was interested in upgrading his equipment. He asks around to see if anyone in this provincial burg sells enchanted gear.

Spoiler: Gather Info
    Show
    (1d20+3)[4] LOL.

It seems no one in town wants to speak with him.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-04-25 at 03:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Krag nods a gruff thanks to the man before leaning forward and after a careful sniff gives the stone a quick kiss. "nae be to careful e?" he mutters to Fintan and Temiryl beside him. Then glances at the others. "Did you hear those lads? Boys with Cold Iron and tatoos heading into the woods. Maybe try and find out about this Turnsval?"

Looking around he looks at the Sign of Thunder and looks at the others with a questioning look? Then he heads towards the pub pushing open the door, throat dry and wanting a good draft of ale.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony was looking around for more Purple Dragons to talk to, because he came to possibly cause some non-trivial commotion in their town and did not want to cause any surprises, but then he overheard the local guy telling about the men taking wagonloads of cold iron into the forest. This kind of simplified things, but made it less clear why this should be in any way Anthony's business. Having made a mental note to check with Hurm Thiodor about Marshal Turnsval...

"I'll stay in The Sign, have a nice evening."

...and went to Magurk's to make a purchase.

Spoiler
    Show
    An amber amulet of vermin, for 700 gp. Then the intention is to arrange an appointment with Hurm Thiodor. Tomorrow morning is fine, but no objections about "right now" or something.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

<Dragon's Den indeed. the towering northern thinks to himself.
    Calmly walking to the bar and avoiding getting near any of the Purple Dragons as he walks up to the bar.
    "Something to drink, if you don't mind. Also, do you lend out rooms here?" he asks the bartender.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Temiryl's face takes on a puzzled expression as she hears the local explain the story of the Thunder Stone.

"What an odd custom," she murmurs. "Even if it was carried here by magic in eons past, why would kissing it grant better fortune?" She frowns, then shrugs. Tentatively approaching the Stone, she leans forward then hesitates, wiping an area clean with a sleeve before quickly kissing the odd boulder.

The elf nods at Krag. "Sounds reasonable. Trying to locate this Marshal Turnsval may in turn lead us to whom we seek. If they had supplies with them, they may be establishing some sort of camp in the forest." She follows the dwarf mage into The Sign of Thunder.

27. - Top - End - #267

Fintan

With a flourish and a winning grin, Fintan kisses the rock.

Local foolishness seen to, he then seeks out a mageware shop and purchases a belt of healing.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-04-27 at 11:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Fintan is too busy looking around, talking with itinerant merchants, that he doesn't even notice the general store nearby. Not to worry, after a bit of enquiring he manages to find a merchant with a fine belt definitely found in Myth Drannor or somewhere of similar renown. Behind him Anthony enters the shop and after a quick discussion with the one armed veteran who runs the shop he leaves with a new amulet.

Krag, Temiryl and Anthony then make their way inside the Sign of Thunder, a large and welcoming inn. Several groups of experienced-looking warriors sit around the place and everyone seems in high spirits. Having established that the bureaucrat Hurm Thiodor is unavailable until the morning they discuss their options.

Over at the Dragon's Den Savin's order is met by a stony-faced barman. "I think you might be in the wrong place, son. We have nothing available here for you." Under the wilting stare of the many soldiers Savin begins to feel awkward, odd, and then decidedly unwell. Head spinning he scratches at the freshly-healed bites and scratches from yesterdays rat-fiends.

Show
    Savin: Diseasles from the dire rats! He loses (1d3)[3] Dex and (1d3)[1] Con.

Everyone: Is the plan to sleep at the Sign of Thunder, perhaps some Gather Info and then enquire with the bureaucrat tomorrow am?
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2015-04-30 at 06:44 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Savin returns the man's stare for a moment, aware of the danger around him.
    "Perhaps." as all he says as he makes his way stiffly to the door. Once outside, he lets himself feel the sweat building. Catching up with the others as he makes his way to the Sign of Thunder, he finds Anthony.
    "What do you know of the those rat creatures? I feel ill and I can't imagine the timing is anything except bad."

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony leads Savin into the room.

"Let me see…" - he starts to examine the wounds, the area around them and Savin's general condition, meanwhile commenting that the rats are not known to be particularly clean creatures so some form of disease is more than probable, but proper clerical attention by local priest, arranged today to be performed tomorrow, should be enough to deal with it in timely and efficient, if somewhat costly, manner.

Spoiler
    Show
    Know (rats): (1d20+2)[11] (incl. corresponding diseases)
    Heal (diagnosis): (1d20+1)[8] (expecting the patient to attempt to help with this for +2)
    Heal (care, conditional): (1d20+3)[17] DC 15 (in case the patient does not choose to go to some local professional; includes purchasing a 50gp kit and spending a charge from it; help welcome)