New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1242
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Baldur's Gate: The Thread

I have a level 2 Swashbuckler. Should I Dual Class him at level 10 to a Fighter?

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Colossus in the Playground

10 is a level that makes very little sense to dual-class. If you dual-class to a fighter then dual-class when you have all the thieves' skills you're going to want for the rest of the game.

Be aware that unless your Swashbuckler is a human with Dexterity 15+ and Strength 17+*, the answer to your question is, "No, you can't."

*After using the tomes you can find in BG1--so starting Dexterity of 14 and starting Strength of 16 will work.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    10 is a level that makes very little sense to dual-class.
    But he's a Swash, so I assume he's aiming for the +1 AC and +1 damage - the class power.

The problem is that I am not sure if the Swash gets those bonus every 5 levels starting from level 1 (so 1+5 = 6, so 6th, 11th, 16th), or if it's every 5th level (so 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th). Advance your Swashie to level 5 and 6 and pay attention to the AC values and simply check it empirically.

As for your question - you can dual pretty much at any point, as there's plenty of joinable thieves in BG2 and dualling into a Fighter is a viable way to buff the vanilla Fighter class in some way (I enjoyed playing an ex-Mage/Fighter who only dipped into the Mage class for using a higher variety of scrolls and wands, and went on being a pure Fighter) if you want to play a versatile kitless Fighter (Berserkers and Kensais are a bit short on missile weapons and Wizardslayers are not versatile at all) for some flavor. Any thief, even the worst ones, can be easily buffed with the copious amounts of +% items to thieving skills, consumable and not, so the "Nalia is a terrible NPC because she can't steal lol who cares she still advances in singleclassed mage which kinda are top tier" is a noob meme.

That said, if you're playing in a very small party (though not that small; both Thief and Fighter advance pretty fast), you can obviously dual later.

I'd see it like this:
    -huge party / lots of multiclasses / Swash purely as a dip - dual at level 5 (or 6, depending which one gets the Swash bonuses)
    -just started a Swashie in BG2, planning Swash/Fighter in a large party, not concerned with micromanaging - dual right in Irenicus Chateau
    -3-4-man party / 6-man party but with no multiclasses / just a bit of patience - 10 / 11 is pretty good
    -solo and very experienced with micromanaging quest rewards (no scrollscribing abuse as with Swash/Mage, unless you temporarily hire an NPC) - 21 to get UAI

You can also stay pure Swash, but it kinda peters out in the late game in comparison, and I'm assuming you want a solid martial character with some thief utility in the mix. Will have monstrous AC, but after a certain point you're concerned with enemies that don't bother with AC or hordes of enemies that have multiple attacks per round and they're going to chip away at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

10 is a level that makes very little sense to dual-class. If you dual-class to a fighter then dual-class when you have all the thieves' skills you're going to want for the rest of the game.

Be aware that unless your Swashbuckler is a human with Dexterity 15+ and Strength 17+*, the answer to your question is, "No, you can't."

*After using the tomes you can find in BG1--so starting Dexterity of 14 and starting Strength of 16 will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    But he's a Swash, so I assume he's aiming for the +1 AC and +1 damage - the class power.

The problem is that I am not sure if the Swash gets those bonus every 5 levels starting from level 1 (so 1+5 = 6, so 6th, 11th, 16th), or if it's every 5th level (so 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th). Advance your Swashie to level 5 and 6 and pay attention to the AC values and simply check it empirically.

As for your question - you can dual pretty much at any point, as there's plenty of joinable thieves in BG2 and dualling into a Fighter is a viable way to buff the vanilla Fighter class in some way (I enjoyed playing an ex-Mage/Fighter who only dipped into the Mage class for using a higher variety of scrolls and wands, and went on being a pure Fighter) if you want to play a versatile kitless Fighter (Berserkers and Kensais are a bit short on missile weapons and Wizardslayers are not versatile at all) for some flavor. Any thief, even the worst ones, can be easily buffed with the copious amounts of +% items to thieving skills, consumable and not, so the "Nalia is a terrible NPC because she can't steal lol who cares she still advances in singleclassed mage which kinda are top tier" is a noob meme.

That said, if you're playing in a very small party (though not that small; both Thief and Fighter advance pretty fast), you can obviously dual later.

I'd see it like this:
    -huge party / lots of multiclasses / Swash purely as a dip - dual at level 5 (or 6, depending which one gets the Swash bonuses)
    -just started a Swashie in BG2, planning Swash/Fighter in a large party, not concerned with micromanaging - dual right in Irenicus Chateau
    -3-4-man party / 6-man party but with no multiclasses / just a bit of patience - 10 / 11 is pretty good
    -solo and very experienced with micromanaging quest rewards (no scrollscribing abuse as with Swash/Mage, unless you temporarily hire an NPC) - 21 to get UAI

You can also stay pure Swash, but it kinda peters out in the late game in comparison, and I'm assuming you want a solid martial character with some thief utility in the mix. Will have monstrous AC, but after a certain point you're concerned with enemies that don't bother with AC or hordes of enemies that have multiple attacks per round and they're going to chip away at you.
    Actually, I found out. At level 10 you will have the +1 AC and +1 to Hit and damage bonuses associated for every 5 levels. At level 10, I will just import my character into Baldur's Gate II and dual class into a fighter. The bonuses from scrolls will make his experience jump quite a bit.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Why go from thief to fighter?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Why go from thief to fighter?
    Because a fighter with no penalties, +3 AC free, +2 Atk&Dam, and access to 10 levels of thief skills... is honestly pretty badass, and also entirely legit. Not like either game really pushes their luck with thief skills anyway.

Personally, I prefer going the other way around, but that requires using EEKeeper to give me the Swashbuckler kit after the swap and set my level to zero so it builds properly.

Of course, a fighter gets bonuses as far out as 13, so to get the most out of a fighter->Swash you'd need to be well into BG2 before it comes into play. Swash->Fighter pulls it off a lot cleaner, but you lose the Use Any Item HLA, which is frankly pretty darn awesome. (There's also HP concerns, of course)
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2016-05-23 at 02:35 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I've got to ask, why is it that Yoshimo is allowed as an option to choose in Throne of Bhaal, but you can't actually play him?

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ArlEammon View Post
    I've got to ask, why is it that Yoshimo is allowed as an option to choose in Throne of Bhaal, but you can't actually play him?
    My bet? Because otherwise people would ask why an extra planar teleporter that can pull people from virtually anywhere couldn't pull our old buddy Yoshimo back from grave. A throwaway line and the limitations of the thing are known.

Besides, it evokes the Aerith factor: nothing creates the feeling of loss quite so effectively as a character slot that will forevermore be left empty.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

9. - Top - End - #1149

Take him to Spellhold, and you'll find out.
    Spoiler: You should really find out through playing the game rather than asking here
    Show
    Because he works for Irenicus and cannot survive Chapter Four; if he goes with you to Spellhold you'll fight and kill him there, if he doesn't go with you to Spellhold the geas Irenicus has on him will kill him for failing to bring you to Irenicus.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Take him to Spellhold, and you'll find out.
    Spoiler: You should really find out through playing the game rather than asking here
    Show
    Because he works for Irenicus and cannot survive Chapter Four; if he goes with you to Spellhold you'll fight and kill him there, if he doesn't go with you to Spellhold the geas Irenicus has on him will kill him for failing to bring you to Irenicus.
    Just a second.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know. The thing is, they still give you the option in the list of choices.

11. - Top - End - #1151

And you know, apparently, that it doesn't actually summon him, so presumably you've been told (by the Fate Spirit) exactly why it doesn't work.

If the problem is that you can't imagine a PC who would want to ask the Spirit to summon Yoshimo, all I can say is that there are more things in the Abyss and the Prime Material Plane than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I bet you that in a competently written Baldur's Gate novel, Yoshimo would be resurrected by a good PC after becoming a good deity.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Ajantis got the shaft very hard. I liked Tiax, it's like all the important characters died outside the party members.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I bet you that in a competently written Baldur's Gate novel, Yoshimo would be resurrected by a good PC after becoming a good deity.
    Nah. Yoshimo's arc ends with taking his heart to Ilmater and freeing him from the Geas. You play that up, putting the catharsis in that action. Bringing him back does not add much beyond uprooting a completed story.

Honestly, I've toyed many times with writing the BG story myself. Called it "The Road from Candlekeep". When creating the outline for it, I tried to envision how the ToB finale would pan out:

Spoiler: How I would have done it
    Show
    Basically, I'd pull in Gaider's Ascension mod, with the Scion using his ties to Murder to pull murdered souls free: Khalid, Dynaheir, and Gorion, with the Solar saying after the fight that the Scion only had the power to bring one of them back to stay (there are divine reasons these three could not be resurrected, even with high level magic). Since the outline was made pre-SoD, I had the Scion romancing Dynaheir in BG1 (as per the BG1NPC mod), so the decision would have been heart-rending for the Scion, especially since he knew he couldn't choose her and she realizes it long before he can put it into words. In the end, it would have been Khalid he brings back with him, giving Jaheira the happy ending she deserves and finally paying back the father figure that stood by him in the hardest days of his life. Irenicus and the Six were powerful, but they don't hold a candle to those early days, to being weak and lost and alone and hunted by people he'd never even met before. And it was the stuttering elf with the crippling inferiority complex that held them together.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Troll in the Playground

There's also the bit where, by the spell description in the tabletop books, the target has to be willing to be resurrected. It's entirely plausible that Yoshimo is glad to receive freedom/forgiveness from the Scion but doesn't want to come back.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    There's also the bit where, by the spell description in the tabletop books, the target has to be willing to be resurrected. It's entirely plausible that Yoshimo is glad to receive freedom/forgiveness from the Scion but doesn't want to come back.
    Not in AD&D; that was added in 3e.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So, I had to use cheap tactics to defeat Sarevok. In fact, I lost to him seven times before finally whupping him. Funny that magic missiles work on him, isn't it?

I'm a level 7 Swashbuckler, maybe level 8 by now.

19 strength
    19 dexterity
    17 constitution
    14 intelligence
    14 wisdom
    10 charisma

I fully intend on switching from Swashbuckler to fighter at level 10. +3 armor class, +3 to hit/damage and 10 levels of thief skills. . .
    Anyone like my plan?

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Troll in the Playground

I fully intend on switching from Swashbuckler to fighter at level 10. +3 armor class, +3 to hit/damage and 10 levels of thief skills. . .
    Anyone like my plan?
    Sure, why not. You'll be a powerhouse by ToB. Just surround yourself with some mages and you'll be good.

I don't think anyone has defeated Sarevok without cheap tactics. Guy hits like a freight train.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure it's possible to defeat him fairly. I never actually did. Even spamming the monster summon wand didn't seem to help. Fortunately, even Sarevok is no match for the mighty CTRL-Y. (Cheat Kill Command)

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    I don't think anyone has defeated Sarevok without cheap tactics. Guy hits like a freight train.
    I absolutely agree. He's the kind of boss that demands cheap tricks. Not necessarily exploits and CTRL+Y, but massive stacking of spells, potions, wands, and anything else you can think of, tactical metagaming like lining the far half of the temple with skull tracks and then getting every mage to simultaneously launch fireballs (and potentially a cloudkill) centered three pixels before Sarevok becomes visible, and any combination of gear to give you some prayer of not being hit by the freight train multiple times each and every round.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Titan in the Playground

Every time I try that, he gets hit, goes hostile, and then charges. Usually setting off the web trap, and paralyzing us for him to one shot one at a time. Did that trap get pulled from EE?

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Every time I try that, he gets hit, goes hostile, and then charges. Usually setting off the web trap, and paralyzing us for him to one shot one at a time. Did that trap get pulled from EE?
    No, but I also detect and disable the traps I can get to before catching his attention (or just triggering them and waiting out the effect before the fight starts). I keep the fighters in the back and switch ranks as he arrives. While Sarevok on his own is pretty scary, it's Sarevok with support that is the real problem. Setting up traps and AoEs to cripple and kill as many of his allies as possible is a major factor between deciding victory and defeat, I've found. That said, even when over-leveled with an optimized party and excellent stats and gear, and abusing any and all available expendables, he still has an absurdly high chance to curb stomp you.

He takes the challenge to the point where "playing intelligently" and "playing cheap" are virtually the same thing.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm not really sure how good tactics can be considered cheap, unless one is the type that believes the proper way to have a fistfight is standing face to face in arms' reach and taking turns punching each other in said faces. True story, actually. My friend moved to a new school in new state back in the day and proceeded to unambiguously win a schoolyard fight but was deemed cheap and a cheater because he didn't just stand like a lump and trade single punches back and forth in turns. Probably because what was presented as "a fight" was actually a ritualized duel. But he still won and was left the hell alone after.

It's like saying guerilla warfare is cheap, but it's a huge part of winning against a superior force without the collateral damage of a warhead.
    Last edited by Winter_Wolf; 2016-05-27 at 11:35 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    I'm not really sure how good tactics can be considered cheap, unless one is the type that believes the proper way to have a fistfight is standing face to face in arms' reach and taking turns punching each other in said faces. True story, actually. My friend moved to a new school in new state back in the day and proceeded to unambiguously win a schoolyard fight but was deemed cheap and a cheater because he didn't just stand like a lump and trade single punches back and forth in turns. Probably because what was presented as "a fight" was actually a ritualized duel. But he still won and was left the hell alone after.

It's like saying guerilla warfare is cheap, but it's a huge part of winning against a superior force without the collateral damage of a warhead.
    Absolutely. Ambushes, min-maxing, and pulling out an entire game's worth of expendables for one fight is hardly cheating. But they can be seen as cheap. Like a 1-on-1 fighting game where this one guy has an easily spammable attack that covers a third of the screen and does a lot of damage. Kicking a guy in the crotch during a street fight isn't against any rules, but it's still a cheap move. There tends to be an unwritten definition of "fair play" in any contest, one that tarnishes victories earned in defiance of it.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Titan in the Playground

The web trap was the one I could never get to without attracting attention and starting the fight early. It was the one mid-way across the Bhaalseal.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Yes. My tactic was to lure Semaj and Sarevok away from Angelo, and to take him down that way. I'm happy that his magic resistance doesn't always work.

27. - Top - End - #1167

He has no magic resistance in the final battle (as he seems to have none when he killed Gorion). If you want to look at it from an immersed perspective, I'd suggest something like "all those Magic Missiles he ate killing Gorion convinced him to buy the Temple of Umberlee's entire stock of Potions of Magic Blocking and use them whenever combat seemed like a serious possibility, but he used up his last one at the Ducal Palace."

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Titan in the Playground

What do you mean none when he whacked Gorion? The console summoned version seems to have infinite. Usually you can see him resist Gorion's Sleep spell when the fight begins.

Also, Magic Missile ignores Magic Resistance entirely.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Oh. I have always dreaded facing Sarevok with Dynaheir. Hence why my character is never an Invoker.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Titan in the Playground

Magic Missile doesn't ignore MR in BG2, so it wouldn't in BG1Tutu either.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)