New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Baldur's Gate: The Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rezkeshdadesh View Post
    Well, it seems Jaheira gets so butt-hurt when I try to remove her from the party that she up and leaves permanently now. I completed her quest chain and got the Harper Pin. I intended to drop her off and complete all the NPC side quests. She was a contender for my final party line-up, but I just don't have room for her right now. Anyone know of a way to make her stay put like a good NPC like everyone else?
    Easiest trick: Put her in some room (the one you fought the baron to de-curse her is a good one) where she's the only one on the map. Then drop her. Go do stuff. Come back in when you're ready and when she asks if you really intend to part ways say "no" and she'll rejoin your group without ever realizing she was gone. Also good for keeping romantic interests interested and evil characters from leaving (though it doesn't work with EE villains).
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Easiest trick: Put her in some room (the one you fought the baron to de-curse her is a good one) where she's the only one on the map. Then drop her. Go do stuff. Come back in when you're ready and when she asks if you really intend to part ways say "no" and she'll rejoin your group without ever realizing she was gone. Also good for keeping romantic interests interested and evil characters from leaving (though it doesn't work with EE villains).
    I suppose that will have to do, although I'm afraid I'll forget where I left her.

EDIT: I started playing and left Jaheira, but it seems there is a new patch. It looks like it broke my Kelsey mod. Instead of his name it says INVALID then a series of numbers. I looked on the mod site, but it doesn't seem to have been updated since the patch. Does anyone know a way to fix this off-hand?

Conversely, I wouldn't mind dropping Kelsey off for a bit, until the mod gets updated. My only worries are
    A: Will I be able to get him back after I remove him from the party?
    B: Will it ruin the romance I currently have with him?
    C: Has the romance already been messed up due to the mod breaking with the new patch?
    Last edited by Sylthia; 2014-12-18 at 05:06 PM.

3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

Fire Emblem Fates Castle Address
    05107-66614
    62592-54117

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I suppose that will have to do, although I'm afraid I'll forget where I left her.

EDIT: I started playing and left Jaheira, but it seems there is a new patch. It looks like it broke my Kelsey mod. Instead of his name it says INVALID then a series of numbers. I looked on the mod site, but it doesn't seem to have been updated since the patch. Does anyone know a way to fix this off-hand?

Conversely, I wouldn't mind dropping Kelsey off for a bit, until the mod gets updated. My only worries are
    A: Will I be able to get him back after I remove him from the party?
    B: Will it ruin the romance I currently have with him?
    C: Has the romance already been messed up due to the mod breaking with the new patch?
    Downside of the Enhanced Edition: Any patch completely wipes your mods. You have to reinstall them after a patch. Kelsey isn't broken, he's just not installed anymore.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Downside of the Enhanced Edition: Any patch completely wipes your mods. You have to reinstall them after a patch. Kelsey isn't broken, he's just not installed anymore.
    Okay, do I have to just click on the setup application again, or do I have to do some sort of uninstall first?

EDIT: Okay, I reinstalled all my mods, and now Kelsey's name is "oh, how I wish there was more magic could do for scarring". What the heck? How do I fix that?
    Last edited by Sylthia; 2014-12-18 at 06:11 PM.

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    I was talking BG1, where frostbrand is probably the best thief weapon for attacking, and where twinkle would raise his AC through the roof. Plus, I'm under the impression that he can use thief skills while wearing Drizzts armor.
    Right, I immediately associate half-orcs and sword and shield style with BG2. D'oh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, I managed to EEKeeper Kelsey's name to Kelsey, but now his dialogue is all messed up.

When I select him, instead of the normal "Yes, boss" et all, he says random things about Saradush. I'm really considering dropping him from the party now. Unistalling and Reinstalling the mod doesn't seem to have helped. If I drop him, then pick him up again later (hopefully with the mod fixed), will I be able to pick up the romance again, or will it ruin it like the Vanilla romances?

EDIT: Some searching led me to a suggestion, which seems to work to a degree. I select Kelsey's portrait and press "K". That seems to reset his name to normal and make his dialogue normal again. However, it seems his side-quest is still glitchy. I found a couple NPCs in the Graveyard which have long strings of what appears to be dialogue text as their names. I might come back to them later after a more thorough solution presents itself.
    Last edited by Sylthia; 2014-12-18 at 10:02 PM.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    EDIT: And does anyone else think Sarevok was sorta ****ing with the assassins he sent after you in BG1? Since they'd have to provide proof of your death, and you turn to ash and dust the moment you're killed?
    I suppose they could bring him a handful of the ash.

Plus, if they don't know that Bhaalspawn disintegrate on death, they are not going to come back and say "I totally killed him for you, but he turned to dust so I can't prove it. Give gold pls thx" unless they really did it.

Conversely, if an assassin comes back with (what he claims is) your head/scalp/ear etc as "proof" of assassination, then Sarevok will know they're lying.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe Sarevok feels it when another Bhaalspawn is killed?
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Maybe Sarevok feels it when another Bhaalspawn is killed?
    I don't think we ever get that ability, so probably not.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think we ever get that ability, so probably not.
    We don't get to Dimension Door, "Arashaka!" (instant death spell) or dispel Melicamp's transmutation either.

It's easy to assume that Sarevok is simply scrying on you.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Aside from the mod breaking, I'm really liking to new EE patch. It makes any spells you can add to your spellbook light up green, which is really nice when you add a new mage to your party.
    Last edited by Sylthia; 2014-12-20 at 09:23 PM.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    We don't get to Dimension Door, "Arashaka!" (instant death spell) or dispel Melicamp's transmutation either.
    In fact, most Bhaalspawn powers seem to be unique.

I don't think any other Bhaalspawn get the powers Charname has. (Although he does share the "reload" power with Bondari).

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    In fact, most Bhaalspawn powers seem to be unique.

I don't think any other Bhaalspawn get the powers Charname has. (Although he does share the "reload" power with Bondari).
    That is more powerful even than Wish.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

I ended up simply uninstalling the Boo-kidnapping quest. It's a shame, because apparently finishing it increases Minsc's strength to 19, but I found no way of stopping it from crashing.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I ended up simply uninstalling the Boo-kidnapping quest. It's a shame, because apparently finishing it increases Minsc's strength to 19, but I found no way of stopping it from crashing.
    That's a shame, it's pretty fun. I had trouble getting it started, but once it did, I was able to complete it okay. You can EEKeeper Minsc to 19 Str, and pretend your were able to complete it.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

You can EEKeeper Minsc to 19 Str, and pretend your were able to complete it.
    Now I'm sad this quest didn't make it to the game because that would be a really good buff to Minsc and make him more competitive, with his own niche. Oh well, at least he's versatile.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

That's a shame, it's pretty fun. I had trouble getting it started, but once it did, I was able to complete it okay. You can EEKeeper Minsc to 19 Str, and pretend your were able to complete it.
    I was able to start it without any problems. It triggered when I entered the Bridge District one time. It just crashes when I finish the riddles and the sorceress finishes casting her spells on Mincs.

And I might just increase his Strength this way. He could use it. Otherwise he gets a little overshadowed, especially since my Fighter Bhaalspawn increased his Strength to 19 tanks to a tome in BG1. And the other team warrior is Raasad, who'll grow quite powerful as a monk.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

I was able to start it without any problems. It triggered when I entered the Bridge District one time. It just crashes when I finish the riddles and the sorceress finishes casting her spells on Mincs.

And I might just increase his Strength this way. He could use it. Otherwise he gets a little overshadowed, especially since my Fighter Bhaalspawn increased his Strength to 19 tanks to a tome in BG1. And the other team warrior is Raasad, who'll grow quite powerful as a monk.
    It can be hard for the BhaalSpawn to not overshadow anyone else in their role, especially if you transport them from BG1. My Ranger/Cleric has
    Str 19
    Dex 19
    Con 19
    Int 12
    Wis 21
    Cha (18) with Ring of Human Influance that you can get right away in BG2

05107-66614
    62592-54117

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

It can be hard for the BhaalSpawn to not overshadow anyone else in their role, especially if you transport them from BG1. My Ranger/Cleric has
    Str 19
    Dex 19
    Con 19
    Int 12
    Wis 21
    Cha (18) with Ring of Human Influance that you can get right away in BG2
    I recommend trying out the Wimp Sorcerer challenge. Akin to D2's Naked Summoner Necro challenge. Set all your stats to the lowest since Sorcerers have no casting stats (so no problems with low intelligence). See if you can win by item and spell reliance. You can pull off the same challenge with a normal mage (you don't get bonus spell slots from Intelligence; Intelligence merely affects your memory and not spellslots) but either keep your Intelligence high or buy out all the +Intelligence potions for reading sessions.

Polymorph Self into Gnoll or Spider combo'd with Minor Sequencer (2x ) afterwards works very well because you assume the polymorphed creature's stats. Polymorphed forms allow you to carry more stuff: bear form is 18/00 str. It's also good because your other "passive" combat option, Melf's Minute Meteors (or slings/darts), does not work at all when you have minimum Dexterity. Hog the gauntlets.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2014-12-24 at 03:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Neera gets a robe during her personal quest that puts a permanent Chaos Shield on her, but I think I'll buy the Robe of Vecna for her, anyway. Chaos shield can be cast. A casting speed upgrade really can't.

Also, I'm considering shuffling Minsc's proficiencies in EEkeeper to replace his two-handed sword levels with hammers or flails... but that's a bit too much like actual cheating, I feel.
    Last edited by Morty; 2014-12-24 at 06:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Also, I'm considering shuffling Minsc's proficiencies in EEkeeper to replace his two-handed sword levels with hammers or flails... but that's a bit too much like actual cheating, I feel.
    To be honest, Minsc + Lilarcor is a classic and it's not like a Ranger can advance in anything beyond **. If you want to wield Crom Faeyr in the off-hand then 25 Strength makes up for the Thac0 penalty until you advance into hammers. Up until you get Crom, there aren't really any extremely good warhammers anyway (the thrown one is pretty good, but you usually don't want Minsc as a thrower) Take Flail levels in the meantime for that Flail of Ages you probably want. And taking away from Minsc's proficiencies isn't so bad if you plan to keep him in ToB (though Sarevok is a straight-up upgrade to Minsc, I s'pose), since he gets to GWW a greatsword.

I don't know what your exact party setup is, but IMHO, stick with Lilarcor + that Elven bow from D'Arnise Keep on Minsc for a good versatile package of hurt and keep the Flail of Ages on your Cleric -- just make sure to imbue his Strength to raise his THAC0 and he'll be formidable.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2014-12-24 at 07:04 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. Neera gets a robe during her personal quest that puts a permanent Chaos Shield on her, but I think I'll buy the Robe of Vecna for her, anyway. Chaos shield can be cast. A casting speed upgrade really can't.

Eh, I do it for some characters, especially the ones that you get at higher levels that sink points into "wasted" weapons. As long as you zero out the additional proficiencies, I don't really see any issue with it.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    To be honest, Minsc + Lilarcor is a classic and it's not like a Ranger can advance in anything beyond **. If you want to wield Crom Faeyr in the off-hand then 25 Strength makes up for the Thac0 penalty until you advance into hammers. Up until you get Crom, there aren't really any extremely good warhammers anyway (the thrown one is pretty good, but you usually don't want Minsc as a thrower) Take Flail levels in the meantime for that Flail of Ages you probably want. And taking away from Minsc's proficiencies isn't so bad if you plan to keep him in ToB (though Sarevok is a straight-up upgrade to Minsc, I s'pose), since he gets to GWW a greatsword.

I don't know what your exact party setup is, but IMHO, stick with Lilarcor + that Elven bow from D'Arnise Keep on Minsc for a good versatile package of hurt and keep the Flail of Ages on your Cleric -- just make sure to imbue his Strength to raise his THAC0 and he'll be formidable.
    My Bhaalspawn is already using Lilarcor, since he's a Fighter with a jury-rigged kit who specializes in those. Branwen (modded in) is already using the Flail, but Minsc can get it instead I suppose. He's packing two maces right now, and I'll make the Mace of Disruption +2 as soon as I can.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

My Bhaalspawn is already using Lilarcor, since he's a Fighter with a jury-rigged kit who specializes in those. Branwen (modded in) is already using the Flail, but Minsc can get it instead I suppose. He's packing two maces right now, and I'll make the Mace of Disruption +2 as soon as I can.
    If you feel like trying out some different proficiencies whilst still preserving the feel of the game (basically turning one blunt weapon proficiency [maces] into another [clubs]) then Gnasher and Blackblood are clubs that are available from the Trademeet line of quests and are a pretty nifty duo. Similarly, dual-wielded Axes rock in SoA. All in the name of variety, IMHO, since Flail of Ages are the best blunt weapon throughout most of SoA anyway, and Branwen could use the spotlight with that weapon.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

I considered a pair of axes, yeah. Have him swing those and keep the Mace of Disruption on hand if any pesky undead show up.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Go ahead with that, then. Figures the only other route you could go is the manly man one and pick up Smaeluv Orcslinger's Cursed Berserking Sword. (Hey, dual +3 greatswords for the win!)

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

My Ranger or Fighter types usually end up going into Axes and/or Swords, since my Clerics get dibs on the Maces and Flails.

Where do you get the Mace of Disruption again?

05107-66614
    62592-54117

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Of course, one of the +3 axes is among the items I lost because I hadn't looted them from the d'Arnise keep before taking ownership. *smacks self* Oh, well, if I hack them in, the lack of the XP for the golems and the longbow will be punishment enough.

As far as the mace goes, you loot it from Bodhi's lair. It's a +1 mace at that point, and you need the illithium from the quest with the annoying sculptor to upgrade it to the +2 version - which means you need to give him the fake alloy.
    Last edited by Morty; 2014-12-24 at 07:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

My Ranger or Fighter types usually end up going into Axes and/or Swords, since my Clerics get dibs on the Maces and Flails.

Where do you get the Mace of Disruption again?
    Bodhi's blood-filled bathtub. Then you have to upgrade it with pure illithium (which means you have to settle for an imperfect resolution of the Temple quest regarding it) to unlock its full potential.

EDIT: @Morty, another suggestion if you want an original way to keep up with Minsc's two-handed weapons theme is Spears:
    -Spear of the Unicorn +2 (Druids Grove) is kind of low-enchantment, but keeps some protections to holds (for some reason though not Hold Person) and charms. Bonus death spell saving throw is useful. Kind of like a Lilarcor.
    -There's a spear available in the Underdark (buyable from a merchant) that deals +4 Poison damage. Nice for bypassing Stoneskin and disrupting mages. Good weapon if you want to rush saving Imoen.
    -'Impaler' becomes available from Prince Villynaty down in the Sahuagins' underwater kingdom and it rocks off socks. Deals massive, +10 bonus damage per hit.
    -Watcher's Keep (sadly the very bottom) offers Ixil's Spike, upgradable to +6 in ToB and an extremely good weapon all around.

Good SoA material, good ToB material, and something pretty unique.

EDIT2: At the risk of repeating myself: if you'd rather have a dual-wielding oriented ranger, you can also hire Valygar over Minsc. Starts with a good Katana, for one thing, and also got those Spear proficiencies. Mace of Disruption is a pretty situational weapon anyway (though when it does kick in, it really DOES kick in).
    Last edited by Winthur; 2014-12-24 at 08:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Does Kelsey's Romance get ended if you drop him from the party, like the Vanilla Romances? My party is a bit Mage heavy at the moment and I could use the party space. It would also give me a bit of a breather, since he is very talky and comes on a bit strong.

05107-66614
    62592-54117