New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAI+ Questions and Discussion thread II: Make It Double

back in the 90s, i was a member of QueerNation. kinda the point was that we were queer - meaning not boring straight. by our language, heterosexuals into kinky stuff were queer, too. it just means 'keep your labels off my body'. i stick to that, though anyone else would call me a gay man, skinny but bearish. at this point, i pretty much loathe mainstream gay culture - 'we're like everybody else, normal, but gay'. the whole bit about wanting to fit in just doesn't fly with me. peace.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    Still trying to figure out what my orientation is. I have a suspicion that it *might* fall under "sex-positive high libido asexual", but I'm not sure what that would feel like in practice. There's gaps and broken links and relativity and me scratching my head at what some people say involved. So, uh, how would that actually play out in practice?
    Sex-positive. Ok. What do you believe that entails? I find that many people have subtle differences in what they mean when they self-describe as sex-positive.

High libido. So you have a lot of urges to get off, frequently?

Asexual. So you don't have desire for your partner sexually? You don't find anyone to be sexually attractive or experience desire to have sex with them?

I'd imagine, from what I've read and discussed with others, that the combination would be someone who isn't repulsed by sex and supports others being sexual and understands their partner having sexual needs if they're in a mixed relationship but does not experience that themselves, but who enjoys getting off and has the desire to do so frequently. But that is off the cuff with but a moment of thought, and doesn't intersect with the internal feelings, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Sex-positive. Ok. What do you believe that entails? I find that many people have subtle differences in what they mean when they self-describe as sex-positive.
    I'm not sure how to describe that. I like sex, I like to see others like sex, I like to learn about it and teach it and stuff. In my youth I had fantasized about wandering around having fun with various people who were friendly, but clueless and utterly inexperienced. Never really had a body I would feel comfortable doing it with though.
    High libido. So you have a lot of urges to get off, frequently?
    Accurate. Not freakishly often I suppose. Not overwhelmingly strongly. But daily on average would be nice, maybe with a good range on the average.
    Asexual. So you don't have desire for your partner sexually? You don't find anyone to be sexually attractive or experience desire to have sex with them?
    That's the bit that bugs me. I don't actually have a good grasp on what that entails. I really don't know what people are seeing that makes them say they are sexually attracted to people. I mean, I like people, I like having sex with people within certain boundaries that are irrational and feel more fear based than anything else, I want to have sex with people as a shared activity, but I'm not sure what other people are talking about when they go off about how sexy such and such actor or musician is.
    .. someone who isn't repulsed by sex and supports others being sexual and understands their partner having sexual needs if they're in a mixed relationship but does not experience that themselves, but who enjoys getting off and has the desire to do so frequently.
    It's the lack of needs that makes me confused. Because I do have some desire to do stuff with someone, in part because I don't feel all that comfortable being alone with the anatomy attached to me. I just don't know what the difference between "sexual desire for X" versus "Desire for sex, to be done with X" is.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ettin in the Playground

Demisexual maybe? You're attracted to people you're emotionally close with. The body issues sound like dysphoria.
    LGBTA+itP

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Ogre in the Playground

I think based on what you've said, you're probably not asexual. I've known some aces who have a high libido, but it usually translates as "gets horny, but isn't interested in sex with other people" and that doesn't seem to describe you.

I understand sexual attraction as "wants to have sex with that person", personally. I may or may not be right. I don't usually want to have sex with people I'm not in a committed relationship with so I may not be your typical sexual person either.

6. - Top - End - #1416

NecromancerGuy

The dysmorphia(?) does seem like it would be a major confounding variable that would need to be addressed to get at the crux of the matter. Also irrational fears overwhelming other factors is going to muddy things up too.

Generally sexual attraction is a sort of je ne sais quoi that one gets if one isn't asexual and cannot grok if asexual, so any confusion there would be a point towards being on the asexuality spectrum or having issues with massively over thinking things, or, maybe, not trusting one's subconscious reactions.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2016-10-16 at 04:34 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ogre in the Playground

The dysmorphia(?) does seem like it would be a major confounding variable that would need to be addressed to get at the crux of the matter. Also irrational fears overwhelming other factors is going to muddy things up too.
    Dismorphia means thinking your body is a way it actually isn't, and being unhappy about the way you think it is (but actually isn't). An example of dismorphia is anorexia, in which you believe you are much bigger than you actually are.

Disphoria is being unhappy with your body the way it actually is. That's the term used for trans people for instance. That's probably what's going on here as well considering JusticeZero is... nonbinary I believe?

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Actually, I'm just using she pronouns and treating things as binary transgender at this point. It's easier that way, and I haven't had any dysphoria from girling things up.
    Anyways, you were defining sexual attraction as "wants to have sex with that person", which is the piece that I am not sure if I have. :p
    Last edited by JusticeZero; 2016-10-16 at 08:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1419

NecromancerGuy

If one doesn't even experience a wordless or subconscious urge or desire to be sexual with someone, I'd say that sexual attraction is not currently part of the recipe for making that person as they are now.

If one wants to get sexual release and there's a person interested who they like interpersonally and don't think is ugly, so they do sexual things with that person, well, that sounds am awful lot like the kind of thinking/compromise that asexual people who enjoy the physical act of sex have expressed in the discussions I've seen/taken part in.
    Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Dwarf in the Playground

What you guys think about Wanda, the trans character from Sandman?

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

If one doesn't even experience a wordless or subconscious urge or desire to be sexual with someone, I'd say that sexual attraction is not currently part of the recipe for making that person as they are now.
    If one wants to get sexual release and there's a person interested who they like interpersonally and don't think is ugly, so they do sexual things with that person, well, that sounds am awful lot like the kind of thinking/compromise that asexual people who enjoy the physical act of sex have expressed in the discussions I've seen/taken part in.
    It's a more finely tuned thing.
    I have sexual fantasies.
    I desire to have sex.
    With other people*. In a general sense. Faceless fantasies.
    But I cannot recall a feeling of "I desire sex WITH YOU" or "He/she's hot".
    It's more a sense of "I'd love to have some teamwork style fun in bed. Hey! I'm in a relationship with you, why don't we do that together?" The fact that the gap is so narrow is the part that makes me confused on classification.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ettin in the Playground

To what extent is it acceptable to use "tho" as a generic/default pronoun for the third-person singular, as extrapolated from "what," "who," and "that?"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    To what extent is it acceptable to use "tho" as a generic/default pronoun for the third-person singular, as extrapolated from "what," "who," and "that?"
    Irrespective of acceptability, it won't be recognised and there's nothing wrong with the singular they anyway.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm honestly not sure what word you're trying to replace.
    Jude P.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    It's a more finely tuned thing.
    I have sexual fantasies.
    I desire to have sex.
    With other people*. In a general sense. Faceless fantasies.
    But I cannot recall a feeling of "I desire sex WITH YOU" or "He/she's hot".
    It's more a sense of "I'd love to have some teamwork style fun in bed. Hey! I'm in a relationship with you, why don't we do that together?" The fact that the gap is so narrow is the part that makes me confused on classification.
    The ace community probably wouldn't care much that you have a precise label attached. I don't really participate with the community, but from all I've seen it's very open, and accepting of anyone on the spectrum, which can include people who are ace in some ways, but sexual in others.

But if you really must have a label, there are several here which can apply to you.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Why do I need to be "replacing" anything?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Firbolg in the Playground

There are already several third-person singular pronouns. I'm sorry, I'm just not really clear what new semantic meaning you're trying to convey. Could you try a few example sentences?
    Jude P.

18. - Top - End - #1428

NecromancerGuy

That's just going to create confusion and look tacky.

There's no moral objection, aside from a position that takes shorthand as immoral instead of just improper or informal.

Explain what your goals and desires are, then, please.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2016-10-28 at 07:48 PM.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

"Tho" is already a short form of "though" so that adds to the confusion. And I don't see why you couldn't have a singular "they" since the singular "you" has been accepted for centuries.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ettin in the Playground

Upon reflection, I'd probably be better off not meddling with this stuff in English and just making a new language for that.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Where is it? There.
    When is it? Then.
    What is it? That.
    Who is it? Tho.

That's the intended context, but yeah, no one's going to have a clue what you mean, as evidenced by the fact that no one had a clue what you meant.
    Last edited by Heliomance; 2016-10-31 at 09:58 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Where is it? There.
    When is it? Then.
    What is it? That.
    Who is it? Tho.

That's the intended context, but yeah, no one's going to have a clue what you mean, as evidenced by the fact that no one had a clue what you meant.
    Thanks! I understand the paralel now. I didn't get it at all until I saw all your examples, it's using the same "W turns into T" and some other pronouns. I think everyone's confusion (including mine) shows that most people wouldn't get it at all.

But again, thanks for the explanation, Helio.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Where is it? There.
    When is it? Then.
    What is it? That.
    Who is it? Tho.

Wouldn't that linguistic space already be covered by "them?" Because if we're gonna be revisiting all of english's irregular conjugations and words which seem to not quite fit or come out of the blue we're gonna wind up with a whole 'nother language.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

24. - Top - End - #1434

Wait, is that what thou was doing?

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Because if we're gonna be revisiting all of english's irregular conjugations and words which seem to not quite fit or come out of the blue we're gonna wind up with a whole 'nother language.
    Seems Enderlord came to that same conclusion:

Upon reflection, I'd probably be better off not meddling with this stuff in English and just making a new language for that.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Wait, is that what thou was doing?
    Uh-oh, here we go with the "thou" / "thee" thingy. ;)
    Currently Playing: NICELA LASERIE (Neutral Good) Female Gray Elf Fire Souled Half Nymph Elven Generalist Wizard 20 /// PF Bard 1 / Paladin of Freedom 2 /PF Bard +17

AND .......

FERGUS MADROAR (Chaotic Good) Male Dwarf Half Earth Elemental

Cloistered Cleric (Hanseath) 5 / Divine Oracle 6 / Contemplative 9 /// Paladin of Freedom 20

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Result: There are now 17 competing standards.
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghostshadow View Post
    Uh-oh, here we go with the "thou" / "thee" thingy. ;)
    Whatever dost thou mean?
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm not suicidal yet but I need help so I never get there.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ArlEammon View Post
    I'm not suicidal yet but I need help so I never get there.
    PM me if you need to.