New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Ferrum Impressions OOC 2

Quote Originally Posted by Danteric View Post
    Will I need to keep rolling thaumaturgy to continue draining the blood?
    No, consider it done, we backed out long enough for a kind of take ten.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

Self-Control (4d10)[6][1][1][7](15)

Errr... failure. Let me see what my options are.

Actually, I should have only rolled 3 dice due to my low blood pool. But the result should still be the same. I could spend a point of willpower to stave off the frenzy, but I don't know how much use that will be. I might just bolt and leave you all for the scene, sorry
    Last edited by Muenster Man; 2015-02-19 at 11:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muenster Man View Post
    Rich is probably thinking something like: "Oh no, why did I think it would be a good idea to have to draw so many minions!"

This is easily the most accurate comment on a comic ever.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Artemciy View Post
    Basically, it gives a place in the rules for things which we now can only RP. There is a fighting style one can learn (boxing included ; ) and maneuvers one can learn in it which give certain bonuses and can be chained into combinations. So if you focus on training a particular kind of punch you can use it with a bonus.
    It just warms my heart that there is a space in the rules for such things.
    I've been thinking a lot about this lately, and one point to consider is that the existing Brawl levels are supposed to include the kind of mastery that goes into developing one's favorite moves. If you're Brawl 4, you're supposed to have your game (e.g. the moves that work best for you) mastered. So the combat bonuses I've been talking about earlier aren't necessarily fair.
    A great write-up about those favorite moves I think can be found there, under the "Less is more" title.

What the existing Brawl lacks, though, is the filghting style. It should really be specialized to a fighting style(s), otherwise it doesn't make a lot of RP-ing sence. With Francis we've got it covered, he's a former boxer. That means he might be particularly weak against some grapping and mixed arts, I'd say (take, for example, UFC 1 Royce Gracie vs. Art Jimmerson) but might fair better than a BBJ grappler when fighting multiple opponents (cf. http://specialoperations.com/29586/e...-8-bar-fights/, 6:30; also http://www.attackproof.com/the-myth-...f-defense.html). Or for another example, someone who specialize in Sanda might do great against the kicks (as part of taekwondo, kick-boxing, karate, hapkido etc) though it won't help him against the boxer's punches.

Errr... failure. Let me see what my options are.

Actually, I should have only rolled 3 dice due to my low blood pool. But the result should still be the same. I could spend a point of willpower to stave off the frenzy, but I don't know how much use that will be. I might just bolt and leave you all for the scene, sorry
    Ow. That's an unexpected twist.
    Last edited by Artemciy; 2015-02-20 at 08:05 AM.

4. - Top - End - #394

ClericGuy

Hmm I wonder, would it be possible to attempt to dominate Francis out of Frenzy?

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'd say if the frenzied character spends a willpower to control herself and another one helps by dominating her (e.g. they work in concert) then it deserves a chance of pushing back the frenzy.

BTW, how's the game so far?
    Was it interesting?

Up to a detour (a temporary shift of scene)?
    Last edited by Artemciy; 2015-02-20 at 03:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #396

ClericGuy

I'm enjoying it so far, just been busy so was hard for me to write up a post, but am definitely enjoying it. And what kind of detour? :o

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thanks!

Like traveling elsewhere for a spell.
    Last edited by Artemciy; 2015-02-20 at 05:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #398

ClericGuy

I suppose we can, would be neat to see what happens in the penumbra, though getting lost inside is a bit worrisome

9. - Top - End - #399

The game is going really well. Right now it seems like we're making a real impact in the game. Plus, getting the airship definitely helped and continues to be awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rich is probably thinking something like: "Oh no, why did I think it would be a good idea to have to draw so many minions!"

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Cool. I wondered, since Francis rarely stirs the bug.

Hmm I wonder, would it be possible to attempt to dominate Francis out of Frenzy?
    The system seems to support it: "All difficulties to Dominate or otherwise mentally control a frenzied character are increased by two, and all difficulties to resist the effects of such mental control are reduced by two."

Frenzies tend to last until the end of a scene, whenever you dictates that is. This seems like a good break in scenes. However, going from frenzying to being completely calm in the matter of a few seconds seems like an abuse of the rules, so I'll spend another point of willpower to calm down, and I'll probably have Francis remain very edgy for at least a few minutes.
    Can't say I understand the Beast here. One might think that it would understand the concept of it's goal, the safety. After all, "The character never needs Willpower rolls to accomplish a feat, because the rage fueling the vampire’s actions is both a catalyst to heightened state of mind and a barrier against unwanted intrusions." If we take some fantasy/science-fiction works as an example (I don't remember the exact titles, but I definitely encountered the idea described; I think it mostly was in the Anita Blake series; there also was a cool story about a spaceman who returns from an expedition a shapeshifter carrying three alien forms in him: a wolf, a cone of energy and I forgot what - his consciousnesses fight for control and are triggered very much like frenzy) it seems the Beast should be a switch to an intelligence alien to the human notions of morality but nevertheless an intelligence, one that might bear the millenia of evolutionary experience to boot. If we go that route, then it seems possible that the Beast would understand Francis is safer where he is and that running into the Umbra doesn't make sense right now. It might even relinquish the control reluctantly if on its level of consciousness it understands the value of such an act. At least in a Garou, where there is often a sort of understanding between the Beast and the host. I don't know, just my two cents.

seems like an abuse of the rules
    "The Storyteller decides how long any frenzy lasts, but one scene typically suffices."
    Last edited by Artemciy; 2015-02-21 at 03:17 AM.

11. - Top - End - #401

ClericGuy

Oh my, that's quite the tempting offer for John, not gonna lie. It'll be hard for him to choose for sure, I'll start working on my post when I can.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Damn! I didn't even know that at Spirit 3 Tanaka can pierce the gauntlet. I've just checked the book and it looks like she can! The cWoD mages are really more powerful than the nWoD ones. Now I see how nWoD Mages are seen by some as a joke.

Can you believe it, for months I've been browsing nWoD spells and waiting for Spirit 4 to cross into the Umbra.
    My idea was that she can manipulate the Gauntlet, but not cross it.
    And here it is, in Spirit 3!

Well, I guess that's good, because she now has an excuse to manifest those Dreamspeaker powers without blowing her cover completely.

Is Francis still suspicous of her?

P.S. BTW, feel free to control the NPCs in the scene somewhat, e.g. those marerialized Wyrm spirits attacking or doing something or Caldie replying to you etc.
    Last edited by Artemciy; 2015-02-22 at 11:16 AM.

13. - Top - End - #403

What do you mean he could be suspicious of? He trusts the intent of her powers if that's what you mean, but he does suspect that there's more to her background or capabilities than she's letting on. He thinks of her as magical, sort of in the same vein that he considers John or Anthony. I think Francis attributes her magical nature at least in part to being the ghoul of a Thaumaturge, and thus possesses less powerful magical effects. Although, there is a nagging thought in his head that that doesn't really add up, and her powers could come from something else. Even if Tanaka flat out told him she was a mage, he would probably still assume her magic works on a similar level as Thaumaturgy and other blood magic. The nature of Paradigms and Paradoxes are currently foreign to him, and most would likely run contrary to his understanding of the world. But if he trained his Occult, Wits, and Intelligence more, he could possibly figure it out just through observation and study.

It's kind of a difficult question, because I haven't been keeping as much track of the difference between my knowledge and Francis' knowledge of Tanaka's powers as I should. But most importantly he trusts her on an intuitive level, so the nature of her powers aren't of great concern to Francis.

As to the current scene, did Caldie just call forth a bunch of hostile critters from the Gauntlet?
    Last edited by Muenster Man; 2015-02-22 at 03:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As to the current scene, did Caldie just call forth a bunch of hostile critters from the Gauntlet?
    Yup. She's using Call of the Wyrm to lure the creep away (on the assumption that it's a part of a trap meant to flank and finish the Garou assaulting the Black Spiral Dancer's base).

Not from the Gauntlet itself, mind you, but rather from behind it. The Gauntlet is the Weaver's thing that helps to keep a lot of Earth physical laws intact and keeps the rest of the spirit world at bay. The Gauntlet is also a road for Weaver spirits. Wyrm spirits would tend to damage or avoid it. They were either in the Twilight, e.g. invisible spirits hanging out in the Realm, or behind the Gauntlet in Penumbra.

Realm | Twilight
    --- Gauntlet ---
    Penumbra
    Umbra

P.S. Given the conversation John's having with the demon one might wonder if it's just the Call of the Wyrm or if somebody is orchestrating the thing.

What do you mean he could be suspicious of?
    Well, in the beginning of the game there was a lot of IC in-play where Francis wondered why Tanaka suddenly changed so much.

but he does suspect that there's more to her background or capabilities than she's letting on
    That's what I meant.

Even if Tanaka flat out told him she was a mage, he would probably still assume her magic works on a similar level as Thaumaturgy and other blood magic. The nature of Paradigms and Paradoxes are currently foreign to him, and most would likely run contrary to his understanding of the world.
    That's very interesting, thanks!

P.S.
    Not sure if a dodge roll is necessary since they seem to be focusing on Tanaka, but Francis and John are the last ones to leave the area so they might attack us next.

Also, I'm not sure if running was also Caldie's plan, but I'm assuming that's what she would have done, she just did it quicker than Tanaka since T had to get us unstuck from between dimensions.
    Dodge is a good default.
    Call me paranoid, but I often plan ahead a dodge move if I sense a dangerous intent from someone.
    In some games (cf) you have a state that you toggle. In WoD to be on defensive you should mention you're dodging (and split the dice pool if you want to attack as well).

Caldie wasn't going to run so fast. More like she's tailing you.
    The swarm ignored her because of the fur. T was a more available target.
    Last edited by Artemciy; 2015-02-22 at 04:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I've just realized I forgot to roll Cad's soak.
    (Garou can soak the Aggravated damage in Crinos, except when it's silver).
    Going to roll retroactively.
    6( 3 + 3 from Crinos form )d10 vs 6 [9,6,9,4,10,4] = 4.
    Okay, the shifter is sturdier than that, instead of 5 levels she received only 1, to a total of two levels of aggravated damage.

She was temporarily outed, Francis is moving her away. BTW, no need to lift her, grabbing a leg will work just fine.
    IC post coming..

16. - Top - End - #406

ClericGuy

Five aggro damage would've sucked for anyone, reminds me to level up my fortitude up higher, just need to find a teacher

17. - Top - End - #407

I've just realized I forgot to roll Cad's soak.
    (Garou can soak the Aggravated damage in Crinos, except when it's silver).
    Going to roll retroactively.
    6( 3 + 3 from Crinos form )d10 vs 6 [9,6,9,4,10,4] = 4.
    Okay, the shifter is sturdier than that, instead of 5 levels she received only 1, to a total of two levels of aggravated damage.

She was temporarily outed, Francis is moving her away. BTW, no need to lift her, grabbing a leg will work just fine.
    IC post coming..
    Okay, that's significantly better than before! I don't think I'd change much about the rolls or general actions he took, but I'm assuming he'd move much faster dragging Cad for the turn than needing to carry her.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #408

I'm assuming the demon in John has a vested interest in keeping him alive, so it probably isn't tricking him... much. Still, I'd be a little wary about trusting the thing. I'll hold off on posting IC to see if John takes the initiative on this, but if I don't hear anything by tomorrow morning I'll probably post something about Francis attacking.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #409

ClericGuy

I'm assuming the demon in John has a vested interest in keeping him alive, so it probably isn't tricking him... much. Still, I'd be a little wary about trusting the thing. I'll hold off on posting IC to see if John takes the initiative on this, but if I don't hear anything by tomorrow morning I'll probably post something about Francis attacking.
    Personally I have a feeling that this is gonna end horribly for John, and have this be Monty Coven all over again or worse, daemonic possession or corruption by the wyrm. Either way, I can't wait too see what happens

Also should I make a charisma+leadership roll to convince the coterie and garou to stop?
    Last edited by Danteric; 2015-02-23 at 03:41 AM.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I've found a "Fighting Style: Boxing" merit in New World of Darkness core book. Looks like they've got an idea from the Combat book but simplified and polished it. (cf)
    IMHO, that's kind of conflicts with Brawl (http://prntscr.com/68ss5h). Guess it calls to create new merits for the styles that aren't included in the book (they have only the boxing and kung-fu).

Also should I make a charisma+leadership roll to convince the coterie and garou to stop?
    6d10 vs 7 [7,6,7,5,5,8] = 3
    Caldera will stop to listen.
    Last edited by Artemciy; 2015-02-23 at 08:03 AM.

21. - Top - End - #411

ClericGuy

Is that including the -2 difficulty from John's merit? 6 successes would be pretty funny.

I dont know if I should wait for your post or make a quick one, John was kind of expecting the voices/shadow dancers to do something.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Is that including the -2 difficulty from John's merit? 6 successes would be pretty funny.
    No, sorry, you have six.

I dont know if I should wait for your post or make a quick one, John was kind of expecting the voices/shadow dancers to do something.
    Please do, I was going to focus on work right now.

23. - Top - End - #413

ClericGuy

Please do, I was going to focus on work right now.
    No problem, I'm off to bed now myself, one last overnight to work

24. - Top - End - #414

ClericGuy

I'm just a little bit confused, is John unconscious from whatever just happened? And do I have a gun pointed at me?

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm just a little bit confused, is John unconscious from whatever just happened?
    No. You wouldn't have the options presented to you http://prntscr.com/694db0 if your character were unconscious. But yes, you guessed right that the armed people treat you as such. A logical conclusion from all this? John was unconscious, but he no longer is. Am I missing something?

And do I have a gun pointed at me?
    Francis has a gun pointed at him (http://prntscr.com/694dq0 ). John will share his predicament soon (http://prntscr.com/694dtb ).

Want to know anything else?
    Last edited by Artemciy; 2015-02-24 at 12:07 AM.

26. - Top - End - #416

ClericGuy

Alright, just wanted to clarify before posting anything. On a side note, are there any rules on dominating weres? I've never dealt with them in many campaigns where I had dominate, so don't know of that could be a viable option. Let alone killing one :p

Edit: or using obfuscate for that matter
    Last edited by Danteric; 2015-02-24 at 12:11 AM.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

On a side note, are there any rules on dominating weres?
    Yes, the fera aren't human, they are half-spirit, they have Gnosis, which like Arete for Mages can be matched to the kindred's Generation when it comes to whether the latter can Dominage the former. I don't know the exact numbers yet, will try to find something.

or using obfuscate for that matter
    Obfuscare 1 isn't really an option IMHO because he has John in plain sight. In general it's the usual tumble of one supernatural ability against the other, depends a lot on which Gifts and abilities your opponet has and uses.
    Last edited by Artemciy; 2015-02-24 at 12:20 AM.

28. - Top - End - #418

ClericGuy

Alright, because John would much rather dominate them then try a front on attack, considering how fast they could end his unlife. Maybe the infernal obtenebration would be useful in this situation? Or is that still only usable with fire?

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The infernal version is only triggered with fire. At will John doesn't have even a signle level of it yet.

30. - Top - End - #420

ClericGuy

Gotcha, that's what I figured but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.