New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IV

"I saw the smoke," said Fassbender, seeming unsurprised. "You say it was the Norscan? That will have been unexpected..."

Pulling aside the coarse fabric of Adelbert's sling, she looked at the arm and winced. "I never thought a trip to Savonne and back would be so dangerous," she said, apologetically. "Here, this is not enough... I have some more somewhere."

Casting around the room, she walked over to a small box that was half-buried under a stack of scrolls, and counted out more coins into the pouch. Returning to Adelbert, she pressed it into his good hand.

"Please - as compensation for your troubles."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The pouch originally contained (1d10)[5] gold crowns; Fassbender has now added another (2d5)[6] to compensate for Adelbert's injury.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"You say it was the Norscan? That will have been unexpected..."

"The last attempt to take Savonne - after the elf first took power - failed because Commander Evatt refused to cross the Azril, right?" Sieghard asked. "Perhaps the northern lords haven't given up on removing the elf lord from power. With the Jarl in Ravenskird, they would be able to surround Savonne on all sides."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-06-23 at 06:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert gratefully accepted the pouch. "Thank you Frau Fassbender. Honestly though it was our own curiosity that hurt us. We seem to have a kack for misadventure."

He paused, listening to Sieghard's account, then nodded, expression grim. "Yes. Beatrix, I don't know if you have methods of contacting Evatt swifter than us mortals but if so you better send word to Mannan's Keep."
    Last edited by RossN; 2015-06-23 at 06:08 PM.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

"The last attempt to take Savonne - after the elf first took power - failed because Commander Evatt refused to cross the Azril, right?" Sieghard asked. "Perhaps the northern lords haven't given up on removing the elf lord from power. With the Jarl in Ravenskird, they would be able to surround Savonne on all sides."
    "That's my understanding of it," said Fassbender, her tone cautious. "I've tried to stay out of these things."

She paused.

"All I know of what happened is what I've learned from Evatt's men. Last time the northern lords felt that without Evatt dividing Belehir's attention, they couldn't reach Savonne without a pitched battle against Belehir's cavalry. They have few horses and he has many." She looked blank. "By all accounts Rorik's subjects are just raiders and sheep thieves. They certainly aren't rich in horses - I can't see how they'd offer any threat to the Red Company."

"Yes. Beatrix, I don't know if you have methods of contacting Evatt swifter than us mortals but if so you better send word to Mannan's Keep."
    "I don't," she said. "I've never encouraged too much communication with the Grand Commander. He's rather too fond of making demands." She glanced at the others. "If you're going there you'll arrive as quickly as any messenger we can send from Painford."
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-06-23 at 06:14 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa greeted her fellow rogue wizard with a warm smile, but refrained from telling her too much about what they had learned or found during the trip. Fassbender was a peer, but also a potential rival, whether either of them wanted it or not.

"I never thought a trip to Savonne and back would be so dangerous."
    You don't know the half of it, sister, thought Elsa wryly. She wondered if everyone else in these parts routinely ran into as much trouble as the five of them did.

"If you're going there you'll arrive as quickly as any messenger we can send from Painford."
    "We certainly weren't planning to linger here," said Elsa, looking at Fassbender, but hoping Adelbert got the point (Sorry lad, no time to let you heal that arm). "We're expected elsewhere. Informing Evatt of the situation on our way back won't be any trouble."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2015-06-23 at 06:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"We'd need to pass through on our way south anyways." Sieghard replied. "And probably better for him to hear from someone who saw what happened firsthand and not just the fires."

7. - Top - End - #847
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo had spent their nights' march in an almost endless stream of complaints, often echoing Sieghard's estimation that the rest of the party were indeed fools of the highest order for letting Costin run free. "Rogar dies, but that wretch gets to live?" His voice fairly dripped with scorn.

Unlike his companions Viggo failed to realise the importance or significance of the Jarl's presence this far south, he was however fascinated by Adelberts' tale of Kelda's strange abilities and on their weary journey he had pressed the scribe to fill in as much detail as the encounter as was possible. This would make a fine tale and no mistake!

He was decidedly uncomfortable about being in Fassbender's cottage again, for once though he bit his tongue, stifling his complaints. If Rock Face is fine dealing with a witch who turns folk to stone, then I bloody well will be too! Waiting for an opportunity to speak when he wouldn't be interrupting the unlikely looking stonemason, Viggo addressed his companions. "So it's to Mannan's as quick as we can eh? Do we at least get to rest up for the rest of the day?" He asked whilst not holding out much hope that they might. "We've been swimming about in that shi... umm swamp.. for days now, I would dearly love a turn in some clean water."

8. - Top - End - #848

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert had been flattered by Vigo's interest and supplied what facts he could cudgel from his weary brain about Kelda and how she looked in her other form ("A pale blonde she wolf as big as a pony with piercing blue eyes..." "I saw her tear the throat from an armed man, then pad over to me and sniff my scent like a hound greeting her master's friend."). Eventually exhaustion had overtaken him and he had suggested postponing things for the night.

Back in Fassebender's tower and visibly swaying on his feet he nodded. "We won't get any further without some rest, food and water."

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded "As long as you're certain the Jarl is headed for Savonne and not marching south, we can afford a day to rest." he said.

10. - Top - End - #850

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded "As long as you're certain the Jarl is headed for Savonne and not marching south, we can afford a day to rest." he said.
    "Technically he only said he planned to march at daybreak but given he spoke of overthrowing the 'elf king's' reign in Ravenskird and that we - meaning Elsa - could visit him in Savonne after all this over I drew the logical conclusion," Adelbert clarified. He looked thoughtful. "I wonder if he has men in the city... perhaps he struck a deal with the dwarfs in return for them regaining their hold?"

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

"What's left of the dwarfs have been holed up in Putbad since they left Savonne," said Beatrix, her attention slowly being drawn back to the tools Adelbert had delivered like a compass needle to a lodestone. She resisted long enough to be polite. "If you need food and rest I'm sure the villagers will accommodate you. I'll see about sending a runner ahead to Manann's Keep."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa had been hoping to be on their way even sooner than that, but if Adelbert was too weak from his injury to travel, it could not be helped. She surely could find ways to occupy her time for the rest of the day.

"Do you have a library, Miss Fassbender?" she inquired. "I'd like to do a bit of research on some of the strange things I've witnessed since leaving the Empire."

She was especially interested in the properties of warpstone, but would rather not mention that to another wizard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    "I saw her tear the throat from an armed man, then pad over to me and sniff my scent like a hound greeting her master's friend."
    Elsa finds Adelbert's simile very interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard raised an eyebrow at that. He had never thought Elsa the type to put her nose in the books... That was usually Adelbert's job.

"I'm sure you have important work to see to, Fraulein Fassbender. We won't take up any more of your time," he said taking the hint.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard will head to the inn for something to eat. After that, he'll speak with some of the locals. If word hasn't already spread about Rorik being behind the fire that used to be Ravenskird, he'll tell them. He's mainly trying to see if the locals think Evatt is likely to do anything more than fortify his own territory once he finds out.

(1d100)[68] vs 39 gossip.
    Was it something I said?

Later, he intends to drink heavily. The last few days haven't been the most pleasant and there may not be many chances to do so in the near future. He'll wait for Elsa to finish her research and for everyone to be together for that though.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-06-25 at 12:57 AM.

14. - Top - End - #854

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert looked at Elsa in astonishment, wondering if her love for learning was a product of his sleep deprived brain. Bidding the wizardesses good day he wove his way towards the inn, food and ale and food and milk for Kaja. He had a book too but was too fatigued and hungry to flick through it just yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heh, glad to be of help Elsa.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

"I have a few," said Beatrix, making it sound like two or three when they were surrounded by stacks of the things. Her manner had become a little guarded, and she waited until she saw the others were leaving before continuing.

"What un particular are you looking for?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To spoilers with ye. Posting from my phone so don't have time to do a.'you go outside ' bit but the prices for the Painford hostel are on the front page of the OOC. It's a warm day; if you want to sleep outside on the grass you'll be fine (and adding to that Mirino suntan).
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #856

BlackDragon

No Wizardessessssssss...s

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert gratefully took his leave, making his way to the hostel to order food for himself and Kaja and nab a table for the group.

"You know I'd almost say we hit the road today after," he was interrupted by a yawn, "a catnap. I'm worn down but at the same time we don't want to be caught in a war."

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

Muggles
    Spoiler
    Show
    "We might be too late for that." Ludo suggested, over an ale that had probably never seen an eel. "If one of the southern lords is this mysterious ally they'll already be marching. If not... I don't know. Would anyone march to save Savonne?"

"I'd be just as happy either way. But you were the one who got attacked by wolves instead of sleeping last night."

Ludo gave Kaja a look. "Are you alright Kaja?"

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

Magically Impaired

Spoiler
    Show
    "Had Rorik allied with one of the southern lords, he'd be more likely to approach Savonne from the north," Sieghard said. He took a drink from his ale. "Back in Alvarran, the duke had something in the works. Something he kept hidden behind high walls. Couldn't be a coincidence."

"If not... I don't know. Would anyone march to save Savonne?"

"To save Savonne? No. To stop a rival from taking it though... Hard to say."

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt (before split)

"What in particular are you looking for?"

Elsa struggled for a way to phrase what exactly she was after. It took her nearly a minute. "You know how you read up on a subject but can only understand half of it because it's too abstract, and words can't really explain it well? And then you start putting into practice the half you understood, which makes things clearer? And you realize you could now understand the other half of the theory... if you could only read it again. That's me right now, when it comes to the Winds and spellcasting."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2015-06-25 at 03:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa Holt and the Chamber of Spoilers

Spoiler
    Show
    The way Beatrix's face stayed steadily impassive seemed to imply that no, she'd never had that problem. Thinking back to her Altdorf days, Elsa did remember that the Gold wizards had always thought very highly of themselves...

"I don't make a habit of attempting magic that I don't fully understand," said Beatrix. "Neither should you - for the safety of your friends, if not for yourself." She looked around the cluttered study, her eyes running over the haphazard stacks of books and parchment. "It's taken me a long time to win these people's trust. It's important to me that magic in the Reaches should be seen as... respectable."

Beatrix seemed to be finding the conversation a little awkward - she broke off to make a circuit of the room, perhaps checking for a particular item. "I can't teach you what you need to know. Once a wizard has developed an affinity for one of the Winds, the process is very diffcult to reverse." She paused. "I might have a book that could help you to continue your studies. I could let you have it for a little while. On loan." She sounded like she was being asked to part with a child. "On condition that you do something for me."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    jocks v. nerds gooooooooo
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-06-25 at 06:46 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa Holt and the Half-Baked Post

Spoiler
    Show
    "Go on," said Elsa curtly, trying to refrain from betraying too much interest.

Part of her was excited, while another part was worried at the thought of yet another responsibility piling up on top of her duties towards Mirino and the need to recover the book of necromancy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #862
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wizard Free Zone

Spoiler
    Show

Happy to be away from the strange cottage and it's even stranger inhabitant, Viggo followed the others to the Painford Hostel. He even delayed his chance of a soak in a hot tub to join the others in an ale and hot meal.

Viggo couldn't help but grin as Sieghard attempted to cosy up to the locals, He probably doesn't realise how grim he looks! he decided to lend a hand. He started by retelling Adelberts' tale of Ravenskird in a more dramatic and pleasing fashion, well pleasing to him at least, taking especial pleasure in the telling of the shape-changing Kelda, before repeating Sieghards' questions regarding how Mannan's Keep might react to these events.

OOC

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Storyteller Test:
    FEL 43 +10Mimic - (1d100)[39]
    RE-roll - (1d100)[68]

Gossip Test:
    FEL 43 +10Mastery - (1d100)[55]
    RE-roll - (1d100)[51]

Last edited by Northern Lad; 2015-06-26 at 07:16 AM.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa Holt and the Grimoire of Fire

Spoiler
    Show
    "The tools Herr Schreiber brought back for me give me almost everything I need for my current research," said Beatrix, cutting right to the point. "There's one last thing I need - a very particular kind of flame." She looked expectantly at Elsa. "I was thinking that could match very well with your... field of expertise."

"All the texts I've read on the subject call for fire lit in a volcano," Fassbender continued. "At first I thought of paying some dwarfs to travel to Karag Dron... but that's a long way to carry a flame without it going on. Not to mention that Clan Dwimmulson's current difficulties have made that line of enquiry that much harder." Sensing that she was going off on a tangent, she reined herself in. "The Dead Hills are much closer. When I travelled there before, I heard from the locals in the Lost Vale that there were fissures in the rock that sometimes gave out smoke and noxious gas." She raised her eyebrows. "As they say, no smoke without fire..."

The Painford Posse

Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo gave Kaja a look. "Are you alright Kaja?"
    "I'm fine," said Kaja, a little defensively. He paused. "It was only one wolf."

Meanwhile, Viggo's tale-telling drew close attention and rather more questions than he could handle, mostly along the lines of where the Norscans were now and whether they might be coming for Painford next. Using the opportunity to ask how the Grand Commander in Manann's Keep might respond, he was met with lamentations and cynicism in equal measure.

"He'll do nothing," rasped one leather-skinned local, shaking his white-haired head. "Or worse than nothing. The old man's mad as a fish."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa Holt and the Promiser on Ghal Maraz

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa tried to summon memories of a map of the Broken Reaches she had seen in Sforza's castle. "Dead Hills, eh? It's not that far out of our way..."

But it did make the trip longer if they went there and back to Painford before returning to Mirino. On the other hand, it might allow Elsa to get close enough to Nath to feel if the magic there felt similar to the dark aura of Kheneb-Ptra-Urush.

"I can do it," she said, nodding. "You did well not to entrust it to the Dwarfs; they know nothing of magic, and might give you a flame from their campfire just to save themselves some trouble. I cannot make promises on how soon I'll be back with the flame, but I swear on Ghal Maraz that when I am, it'll be the real thing."

OOC: Yes, the only reason why Elsa made a promise on Ghal Maraz was to continue the theme of our spoiler titles. Sue me.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2015-06-26 at 05:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

How about "the philosopher's tome"
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, good." Ludo said, a little disarmed to apparently have been out-bolded by a child. He had another flash of the burning village they'd seen on their way north, and shivered despite the warmth.

He turned his attention back to Sieghard. "Rorik doesn't have a large town, does he? Maybe getting to occupy Savonne himself is what he's getting out of a deal."

26. - Top - End - #866

BlackDragon

[Potter related pun]

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert looked up from his stew and swallowed before speaking. "That would be a rich prize indeed. Savonne is the biggest town in the Borderlands and the river trade alone is probably worth more than every hill dweller shack Rorik has now. I have a hard time he'd be allowed keep it."

The initiate looked uneasy. "Gods we better get back to Mirino soon. Who knows what Sforza will make of this."

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard and the Half-Empty Ale

Spoiler
    Show
    "He certainly won't be happy about it," Sieghard said. "Of course, there are always... opportunities... hidden in these sorts of things," he added knowingly.

28. - Top - End - #868

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber and the Punning Narrows

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert shot a quick glance at Sieghard and lowered his voice. "I know, but any word would have to go by the western road which again means back to Last Water quickly."

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard and the Can't Think of Another Pun at the Moment

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard nodded "Sooner we get back the better. A day here and a day in Manaan's keep to warn Evatt of what you saw in Ravenskird. Other than that, there's no time to spare," he said.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa Holt and the Order of Beatrix

Spoiler
    Show
    Fassbender cracked a rare, fleeting smile. "I wouldn't advise casting aspersions on the trustworthiness of dwarfs anywhere they can hear you, Fraulein Holt," she said. "They take their promises very seriously."

Turning fully to face her, Fassbender held out a gloved hand for Elsa to shake. "Well, good. I understand that it's hard to guarantee exactly when you'll return with the flame, but come back soon and I promise, you'll have the run of my collection." She gestured at the books around them. "Good luck."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to return to the others & break spoilers.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-06-29 at 11:55 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb