New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IV

Elsabeth Holt

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa said goodbye to her fellow wizard, trying to hide her disappointment in not being allowed to even skim one of the books while she was here.

Outside

Elsa headed out in search of her travel companions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

In the bar, Ludo waved Elsa over to join the group.

"How did it go?" he asked eagerly.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert waved Elsa over to where the group was sitting outside at the hostel. "I assume you shared secrets that weren't fit for our mortal ears but did Fassbender seem interested in Rorik's... more unsual allies?"

Despite the warmth of the day Adelbert shivered, recalling Kelda looking up at him in wolf form, her muzzle wet with human blood.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa sat down and ordered a drink. She looked grave.

"We're not heading back to Mirino right away," she said, her voice low to avoid being overheard. "We have an errand first. Miss Fassbender will lend me one of her books if I bring her fire from a volcano for her work. There are fumaroles in the Dead Hills, or so she says. It should take us close to Nath." She raised her gloved palms in a placating gesture. "I am not taking you into Nath, don't worry. I just want to know while we're there if the place has the same stench, if you will, as Kheneb-Ptra-Urush. If it does, I can probably sniff it from miles away."

She spoke slowly, stressing every syllable: "I need a book of magic. I must scrape the rust in here--" (she tapped her temple) "--before my power grows to a level I can no longer control. Time is of the essence."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2015-06-30 at 03:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

5. - Top - End - #875

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert stared at Elsa in stunned disbelief for a small eternity.

"Holt," he said at last. "Your master gave us a deadline to get back, a war has broken out and I'll need weeks to recover my health and you want to lead us to a volcano? Remember when I was considering staying on in Savonne to become a priest? Then you couldn't move us on fast enough!"

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I need a book of magic. I must scrape the rust in here--before my power grows to a level I can no longer control. Time is of the essence."

"Is... Is that something that can actually happen?" Sieghard muttered. He didn't like the sound of that any more than he liked the rest of what Elsa was saying. He pushed the thought from his head, it wasn't something he wanted to dwell on.

"We have little time as it is, Elsa," he said. "I doubt the captain would be happy if you delayed letting him know the Jarl has marched any longer than necessary. How urgently do you need this book?"

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

"I doubt the captain would be happy if you delayed letting him know the Jarl has marched any longer than necessary. How urgently do you need this book?"
    "How long until I get another opportunity?" Elsa countered, pointedly ignoring Adelbert. "When I'm back in Mirino, I may find myself up to my ears in responsibilities. Or we may be going to war Sigmar knows where. It could be months. I can't afford to wait that long." She grimaced. "At worst, we can split off."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I know you don't like that, LCP. I'm not trying to make things difficult for you; just trying to act in character.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Out of the question," Sieghard said adamantly, "No one is splitting up or going off on their own." It seemed like the suggestion had somehow struck a nerve.

"Maybe the captain won't make you wait long before letting you get Fassbender's fire. If you explain how important getting her book is for your magic, he couldn't exactly refuse," he said, though he didn't sound sure of it. "Even if he doesn't let you, the most you'd have to wait is until we head out to search the Lost Library. Surely it can wait that long, can't it?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-07-01 at 12:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

"Actually, maybe we should go now." Ludo said quietly. "Things are happening again. We don't know what the situation will be in a few weeks."

10. - Top - End - #880
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo started to nod as Sieghard spoke, but then his brow furrowed, "Parting ways would be a bad idea and so would heading back to Mirino without getting this book now!" Viggo shook his head at that, most of his time in the Reaches had been spent searching for one book or another. I can't even bloody read!

"If Elsa say's she needs this book to make sure she doesn't start setting fire to us all in our sleep, then I for one say we bloody well go and get it now!" Viggo believed that vehemently, he also remembered her praise for him the day before and was dammed if he'd let her ride off alone now. Not when she's finally beginning to see that I'm not totally useless!

"We have a bit of time to play with before we have to be back in Mirino don't we? Maybe we can get this... what was she after again?... and be back without the Capitano even raising an eyebrow? If needs must we could send a message to him from Mannans' Keep."

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo nodded. "We're already nearby, and we're already returning without what was asked. Particularly if someone else has a wizard, Sforza will be pleased to know that you're able to get more powerful."

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

With Adelbert's reservations drowned out by the weight of contrary opinion, the party were soon bidding Painford goodbye. The trail of smoke from Ravenskird still hung in the western sky as they headed south, deeper into the Thornwood.

When the sun went down, they made camp by the roadside, a little way into the woods. Remembering their encounter with the wolf riders, they set watches, but nothing appeared out of the darkness to disturb them. Nevertheless, some time in the quiet hours of the night, Ludo couldn't shake the feeling of being watched.

Wellentag, 22nd Pflugzeit

It took an early start and a long day's march to see them safely back to Manann's Keep. Once again Elsa observed the curiously vibrant colours of the woods surrounding the town, and once again the trees gave way to reveal Evatt's ship-shaped castle, looming above its little town like a wreck left behind by some monstrous wave.

A couple of weary-looking militiamen in the Grand Commander's colours watched them as they crossed the stream into the town, but made no attempt to stop them. The streets of Manann's Keep were busy - most noticeably around the fort. Despite the fact that the sun had nearly set, people were coming and going from its gates in much greater numbers than the last time they had seen it.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

13. - Top - End - #883

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert had complained for a while but long before the group had made camp for the night he'd drawn to a halt from sheer exhaustion. His arm ached but his mind was very much on other things and during the night blonde wolves slinked through his broken dreams.

Wellentag, 22nd Pflugzeit

The morning again found him too tired to talk much, but he carefully examined his arm and adjusted his sling.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal check: (1d100)[33] vs. 46
    FP re-roll if needed: Heal check: (1d100)[58] vs. 46

Reaching Mannan's Keep he looked uncertainly at all the people milling about. "There better be room at the inn." He started moving towards the Star of Marienburg, looking forward to the half forgotten luxury of a bed and a bath.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Thankfully, the Star of Marienburg looked no fuller than their last visit. Presumably the people buzzing around the fort were locals.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard shot a glance back towards the fort as they made their way to the Star.

"We should see if we can get an audience with Evatt tonight," he said "It looks like rumors may already be spreading."

16. - Top - End - #886

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

"After a bath," Adelbert stressed. "We look like people who've been wandering through a swamp and then travelled for two days straight. Worse we smell like it."

Adelbert walked over to the bar to order a private room and a bath. While there he interacted with the other patrons, trying to get a feel for what exactly people had heard from Painford and further north.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gossip check: (1d100)[22] vs. 36

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Fair point," Sieghard conceded "There's no guarantee he'll see us tonight, or even at all, but it's worth a try atleast."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard will let the owner know he also wants a bath and to keep warming water so he can get in as soon as Adelbert finishes. He'll also join in speaking with the locals.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-07-01 at 05:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

The Star's proprietor sent a servant boy scurrying off to see to Adelbert's requested bath, which took some time as the water was heated. While the bath was being drawn, Adelbert found out what he could from the inn's other patrons.

It seemed a messenger had arrived from Painford ahead of them, bearing the news from Ravenskird - news that had been anticipated before it arrived, from the sight of the smoke column to the north-west. Arguments had already been raging among Evatt's advisers about how to respond to the greenskin threat - this new information had the Grand Commander's court in turmoil.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #889

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Before departing for the much longed for bath Adelbert filled in his cohorts on what he had heard. "It may be I'm the only direct eyewitness to Ravenskird actually here," he whispered.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Adelbert..." Sieghard said, grabbing the scribe's shoulder to stop him "It may be that you and your boy are the only survivors of Ravenskird."

He paused and took his hand off of Adelbert's shoulder. "We didn't see any smoke until morning. Long after you said they took the town." He lowered his voice. "If the Jarl razed the town, he clearly had no use for it. Why would he? His land is far from here, he wouldn't be able to hold it. And if he doesn't need the town, he certainly doesn't need the people. I don't think you realize just how lucky you are even to be alive."

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

"The greenskin threat?" Ludo said curiously to the patron who had mentioned this. "I thought you already were dealing with that? Or has it got more serious recently?"

He spent a little more of the evening asking questions about this - the idea was niggling at the back of his head.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo will continue investigating this - if a few people can tell him about this then he'll charm them, otherwise he'll gossip about it and try and get some information in general. If he can get a name for someone specific who can say more about Orc attacks over time, he'll remember that name to visit tomorrow. One way or another, it's a test against 47 (1d100)[88]

22. - Top - End - #892

Viggo Hirtzel

It was with a slightly sour expression that Viggo also asked for a bath to be drawn up, he was not looking forward to following the others in bathing, but he'd rather that than carry on stinking the way he was. We can't very well present ourselves to Evatt looking like swamp rats!

"Should we even bother going to the bloody Keep?" Viggo asked the others that evening, "It looks like Evatt already knows about what happened up north and besides, rumour has it that he's as mad as..." His eyes quickly flicked in Elsa's direction, "As a chest of toads! Who knows how long he'll delay us? Move on in the morning I say, the sooner the better!"

Once he had some food in him and had washed away the scent of swamp he felt much better. Viggo spent the rest of the evening playing his lute for the patrons of The Star, taking the occasional break from his performance to speak with his friends, help Ludo with his enquiries and chat to any pretty girls who managed to catch his eye.

OOC

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If possible Viggo will also rent a private room (which i have deducted for) Having not completely learned his lesson in Savonne he will spend some of the evening in an attempt to charm somebody pretty / willing into sharing it with him! Embarrassing but 'boys will be boys' an' all that!

Musician Test:
    FEL 43 - (1d100)[99]
    RE-roll - (1d100)[100]

Gossip Test: (Re: Greenskin Activity)
    FEL 43 +10Mastery - (1d100)[39]
    RE-Roll - (1d100)[50]

Charm Test:
    FEL 43 - (1d100)[66]
    RE-roll - (1d100)[95]

Edit: Holy Moly! It really isn't Viggos day / night!
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2015-07-02 at 06:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #893

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert looked troubled by Sieghard's suggestions. He didn't think the Jarl would have bothered sparing the villagers only to massacare them a few hours later but it was a dark possibility.

After his bath the scribe bought a meal for himself (and food for Kaja) and settled down to enjoy it. "I do agree with Sieghard. We should try and see the Marshal. I met one of his knights when we were here last and Verena willing he'll recognise me." He glanced at Elsa. "I don't suppose Beatrix wrote you a letter of introduction?"
    Last edited by RossN; 2015-07-02 at 10:08 AM.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

The man Ludo had asked looked round, then down, to spot his question. In late middle age, with a long white moustache, he gave a scoffing snort.

"Got worse? Of course it's gotten worse," he said, making his stool creak as he leaned back to gesticulate. "People are talking about attacks all along the border now. Livestock stolen, homes set on fire. People killed. But his High Mightiness in the castle's too precious to march out there and put the animals down." He shook his head, turning back to the bar. "Friend of mine heard from a friend that they saw a goblin in Handrich's Cross, walking down the main street bold as brass. Can you believe it? Green vermin walking about in plain sight. That's how bold they're getting."

From somewhere off to their left, there was a sharp smacking sound. Looking round, Ludo saw Viggo in full retreat from a furious-looking barmaid, his cheek suspiciously red.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

"So they never used to be this brave?" Ludo said, stifling a smirk at Viggo's predicament. "That's funny, we haven't-" he cut himself off before mentioning that he was from Sforza's lands, but the thought settled into his head: Wouldn't they have noticed it in Sforza's territory too?

"Have they been using strange weapons? Human weapons?" he asked, thinking back to Rivermouth.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

"I wouldn't know, would I?" exclaimed the man he was questioning. "It's not my job, going off hunting orcs and goblins and gods-know-what. That's what the men with swords are supposed to be for."

Grumbling under his breath, he motioned for another drink.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

"Is there anyone around who has fought the orcs?" Ludo asked, slipping out a few coins to pay for the man's drink. "Someone I could talk to tomorrow?"

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

The man made some confident-sounding but highly ambiguous noises that indicated that, while he was still to be considered an authority on the situation, he might not have spoken to anyone who had witnessed an attack first-hand. He still took Ludo's two pfennigs to pay for his ale though.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #899

Viggo Hirtzel

"Sorry, sorry, sorry, no harm meant!" Viggo yelped, leaping away doing his best to keep out of the furious barmaid's reach, "Forget I ever mentioned it! It was only a..." He raised his lute, first as a shield, before chancing a few notes. "I'll just stay out of your way, shut up and play this eh? " He asked hopefully, circling the room backwards whilst attempting to put a few patrons between them.

Bloody barmaids!... Bloody women for that matter! Why do they keep slapping me?! He rubbed at his cheek sheepishly. I'll ask Elsa later on, she'll probably know. She is a woman after all... sort of.

OOC

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Charm Test (if needed):

FEL 43 - (1d100)[60]
    Re-roll - (1d100)[81]

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

On the way to the inn, Elsa made an attempt to acquire a flammable rope and a storm lantern from any merchants who were still open for business.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gossip 34: (d100)[19]
    Fortune: (d100)[85]

At the inn, Adelbert asked her: "I don't suppose Beatrix wrote you a letter of introduction?"

"Didn't think to ask for one," admitted Elsa, "but I'm sure the six of us put together can get the ear of someone, if not Evatt himself."

She both cringed and smirked at Viggo's latest failure. The young entertainer sure was entertaining; just not in the way he wanted.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2015-07-02 at 03:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: