New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IV

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa was too absorbed in her book to pay much attention to the conversation, but she understood the gist of it and rolled her eyes in amusement. Men had it easier than women in most things they set out to do, from beiing taken seriously to taking a piss, but it was nice to know there was at least one area where they had to work twice as hard.

Annnnd Viggo is now trying to steal the bread crumbs from under Adelbert's table. Predictable.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2015-07-10 at 03:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

While Viggo's flute filled the smoky hostel with a melancholy but melodious tune, Adelbert and Sieghard spun ever more elaborate tales of their adventures. In the corner, Elsa pored over the pages of her new acquisition, straining her eyes in the poor light.

Much of what the author had written came from other sources, scraps of magical lore transliterated into one book. The book, however, was more than the sum of his parts - from the way he had improved on these haphazard foundations, it was clear that de Montfort had had a considerable natural affinity for the wind of fire. Some of the spells he had painstakingly developed were strikingly similar to formulas Elsa had heard in the halls of the Bright College - spells whose sophistication she had been assured was far beyond the ability of any hedge wizard to comprehend.

The single most noticeable that was thinking were the elaborate safeguards that College wizards trained to build into their spells. De Montfort had scribbled liberally in the margins of his work, and Elsa saw recorded more than a few incidents where his magic had had unintended consequences. Sometimes these were described in detail, sometimes in euphemistic terms that made Elsa suspect some lingering guilt on de Montfort's part.

As she got towards the back half of the book, however, these distractions faded from focus. Instead, one driving obsession took over the close-packed spider-scrawl of de Montfort's writing. It was a spell he immodestly named de Montfort's Orb of Transcendent Incandescence - his masterpiece, with which he could prove the extent of his skill. As far as Elsa could understand the intricate weave of the thing, the intention of the spell seemed to be to bring some fragment or essence of the sun itself to earth. De Montfort's early tests of the separate parts he intended to combine into his master spell seemed to have been successful - but the pages on which he was to have recorded his first trial, and all those after, were a scorched brick of charcoal. For all his talent, it appeared his reckless ways had finally caught up with him.

Elsa was just beginning to make notes, and Adelbert had just succeeded in speaking to one of the village girls alone, when the wind began to rise outside, making the roof rattle and the trees rustle. The old man, who had fallen asleep with his head on the table, woke with a start. Shuffling over to the window, he pointed in wonder.

The treetops were swaying all around the peaked roof of Fassbender's tower, a vortex of wind circling through their branches. Strange lights were burning in the tower's windows - blue, green and gold, shifting like molten metal. By their illumination, it was possible to see the cloud of smoke that was billowing up in thick folds from the chimney of the domed laboratory, twisting like a corkscrew in the unnatural wind.

Elsa Only

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa felt a slow, crawling sensation in the air around her as the wind of Chamon responded to the magic being worked in the tower. It gathered like beads of mercury around the iron nails in the floorboards, the tin cups on the bar, the rusted fittings of the door. She saw golden sparks crawling across Sieghard's chainmail, slithering down over his boots to join the pooling power that was inexorably streaming towards the tower - the centre-point of Fassbender's ritual.

She had not felt magic being worked on this scale since she had arrived in the Reaches. The taint in Kheneb-Ptra-Urush had been overwhelming, but it had been the echo of a spell cast long ago. This was raw magic being given shape by the human will, and it was breathtaking.

For a moment, the lights in the tower flickered and dimmed, as if they might gutter out completely. Then, as sudden as a lightning-bolt, they flashed into blinding brightness, filling the woods around the sleeping village with stretched-out shadows. The old man fell away from the window, covering his eyes, and Adelbert's young listeners rushed to the door, their interesting new acquaintance forgotten.

The wind had fallen silent, the windows of the tower gone dark. The only sign of what had just happened was the way the moonlight caught the trail of smoke still rising from the chimney, lighting its edges with green and silver as it drifted east across the forest.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-07-13 at 04:34 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa sighed with disappointment when she reached the illegible part of the book. She wondered if a better trained magister (not herself of course, at least not yet) could possibly pick up where de Montfort had "left" and work out a spell that could be controlled. Since the book was de Montfort's own manuscript, Elsa suspected it was the only copy in existence; she could understand why it was so precious to Lady Fassbender, and was thankful that even the incomplete work had survived.

When we get back to Mirino, I should get Adelbert to make a copy, she thought. He's strapped for money, the poor lad, let's give him some business.

The sudden unleashing of magical energy from Fassbender's tower elicited more curiosity than alarm from her. Like many other patrons of the inn, she headed towards the window to have a look outside, albeit with considerably less haste. Among Altdorfers in general and wizards in particular, it was almost a point of pride to look unimpressed by even the most spectacular magic.

"I hope she succeeded," she said laconically.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert had been explaining his battle with a skeleton troll to the wide eyed country girl when whatever had happened, happened. Reaching the window he threw a startled glance at Elsa but was reassured that she wasn't panicking. He fought down the urge to ask just what Elsa hoped Beatrix had succeeded with - it would not look good to show ignorance in front of his admirers (if they could still be counted as such.)

He helped the old man to his feet, checking to see if his vision was working. "I know a bit of healing my friend and that was a hell of a flash!"

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"The tower is still standing... Surely that's a sign whatever she was trying to do worked..." Sieghard said, still unable to pry his eyes off the window. He couldn't help but think that Fassbender's light show had been far more impressive than anything he had ever seen Elsa do. When he was finally convinced there was nothing more to see, he turned to the pyromancer. "How's the book? Worth the time took to get your hands on it?"

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

"The tower is still standing... Surely that's a sign whatever she was trying to do worked..."
    Elsa pursed her lips; she was not so sure about that. Physical destruction was just one of the myriad ways a spell could backfire, and by no means the worst.

"How's the book? Worth the time it took to get your hands on it?"
    "Uh-huh." Elsa nodded. "Voice low, please. To most people, one wizard in town is already one more than they'd like." She tilted her head towards the tower, as if to imply: Especially given this sort of thing.

"I think I'm just about done reading for the night. Wanna gamble? Or drink?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    LCP's narration seems to suggest that Elsa has already finished the readable part of the book. Do I still need to hold onto it until level-up? Or at least, does it make in-story sense to keep it, e.g. to re-read it or to make notes? I ask because there's really no way to know when I'll have the opportunity to return it after we leave Painford.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2015-07-13 at 10:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard grinned "Do I have to pick just one?"

Spoiler
    Show
    How many gambling rolls and what are the stakes?

As for your book, I'd think it would be worth holding onto at least until you can get a copy made regardless of whether or not you actually need to mechanically.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-07-13 at 10:41 PM.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa laughed. "Was hoping you'd say that." She set her book aside for the time being.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suggest 1 shilling/round. Enough to make it worthwhile, but not enough to tear friendships apart.

Untrained Gamble 22:
    (d100)[40]
    (d100)[77]
    (d100)[63]
    (d100)[47]
    (d100)[54]

Edit: Elsa sucks at gambling.

Edit 2: It occurs to me that the commotion caused by the spell might not be over. If so, we'll put those Gamble rolls "on hold" until Elsa and Sieghard actually have an opportunity to use them.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2015-07-13 at 10:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Viggo, let us borrow your cards!" Sieghard called out. He scanned the room for an empty table. "Over there will work."

Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone else wants in, feel free to roll.

Half numbers are rounded up so you'd actually be vs 23. So Elsa fails by...
    ..respectively. Let's see how Sieghard does.

Gamble rolls vs 36
    (1d100)[13] Pass by 23 - Win
    (1d100)[39] Fail by 3 - Win
    (1d100)[18] Pass by 18 - Win
    (1d100)[73] Fail by 37 - Lose
    (1d100)[38] Fail by 2 - Win

Assuming no one else decides they want in on the gambling, Sieghard wins 3s overall.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    Edit 2: It occurs to me that the commotion caused by the spell might not be over. If so, we'll put those Gamble rolls "on hold" until Elsa and Sieghard actually have an opportunity to use them.
    Why not just assume Sieghard and Elsa go sit down and start gambling and if they're interrupted at any point, they resume afterwards. All 5 rolls used eventually regardless of whether something stops the card game in the middle of it or not.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-07-13 at 11:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

"Should we go and see if she's alright?" Ludo asked one of Adelbert's attempted inamoratas. "Does she do that often?"

He had run over for a view with everyone else, now, craning his neck to look out of the window, he tried to establish if the lights inside were being re-lit.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

The old man pushed Adelbert away, grumbling as he rubbed his eyes. Over by the door, the young woman looked down at Ludo and shook her head.

"Sometimes there are strange lights and things," she said, "but usually it's quiet. I've never seen anything like that." She looked at her friend, clearly considering Ludo's suggestion of going to check.

"Don't you go meddlin' in the affairs of wizards," said the old man, shuffling up to the door. "I won't be the one to go telling your mother if you get turned into a three-legged toad."

The windows of the tower remained dark.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-07-14 at 06:00 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #972

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert realized he better live up to his heroic reputation in front of his admirers.

"I think perhaps we should check. If Frau Fassbender has been struck down by an experiment gone wrong she might need aid." He looked to Ludo to back him up, then at the girls, especially the one he had taken a liking to.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    What are the girl's names? Adelbert wouldn't want to call them "you" and "other you" in case this becomes a crisis situation!

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo nodded, and headed for the door. "I'm sure she won't toad me if I knock before entering. And as for telling my parents, my father would think it an improvement."

14. - Top - End - #974
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel

He had been so absorbed in his music and trying to ignore Adelbert and Sieghard that it took Viggo a moment to notice the commotion. When he finally did realise all was not well he trailed off with an errant strident note. He stood there in slack jawed amazement at the window with most of the other patrons, his mouth flapping as he took in the spectacle. It made anything he'd seen Elsa do look like a cheap conjurers trick.

"Viggo, let us borrow your cards!" Sieghard called out.
    Viggo padded sheepishly across to Elsa and Sieghard, both of whom seemed to be taking events in their stride. "Here," he said handing over the deck, "Watch the Knives set... I marked the corners."

The last thing Viggo wanted to do was venture out to the cottage, especially without Elsa present, but since she seemed undaunted and rather unimpressed by the display Viggo reasoned that it must be safe. "It's not the toading you want to watch out for," Viggo quipped as he joined Ludo and Adelbert, "It's the bloody stoning!"

15. - Top - End - #975
    Titan in the Playground

It was turning into a damp night outside. An almost imperceptibly fine fall of rain speckled Adelbert, Ludo and Viggo's faces as they headed towards the tower - too sparse to do anything but make Ludo's hair lie down a little flatter after a few minutes out in the open. Striking out from the village centre, they headed towards the tower. Their new friends from the hostel remained behind.

The air around the tower had a sharp taste to it, like a high hill after a lightning storm. The windows were still dark. Approaching the door, Ludo reached up and knocked three times. There was no reply.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-07-14 at 08:34 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #976

Viggo Hirtzel

Sharing a look, which sang of resigned apprehension, between his two friends, Viggo shrugged nervously. Reaching out gingerly he pushed at the door, before using the toe of his boot to attempt to open it fully. "Hello?" He mumbled, before gulping once and raising his voice. "Hello! Frau Fassbender? Fraulein, is everything alright?" Without entering Viggo attempted to peer through the doorway, "We saw.. Whatever it bloody was...." he trailed off, straining his ears for any response.
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2015-07-14 at 09:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #977

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert gave the hostel (and its occupants) a disappointed look as they left. Being heroic was far less attractive if no one was around to see it.

For the first time in many days he thought of Aisha. Would she have gone with him? He was still thinking of the girl as they arrived at the tower.

"Beatrix, are you alright?" It felt foolish to ask but it felt more foolish to stand in the rain and do nothing.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

There was a thump and clatter from upstairs. From somewhere out of sight, they heard Fassbender's muffled voice:

"Go away."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #979

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Well, they'd tried. "Understood, good evening Frau Fassbender."

He turned on his heel and walked back to the hostel, planning on retiring to the common room with his book. With his admirers clearly having lost interest there seemed little sense in staying up.

20. - Top - End - #980

Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo did not need telling twice, heaving a hefty sigh of relief he too turned to leave, before stopping briefly and shouting over his shoulder. "Sorry for bothering you!" He trotted a few steps to catch up with Adelbert, relieved beyond measure that he hadn't had any parts of him turned into a statue.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

After a brief internal battle between Ludo's curiosity and his desire to remain un-frogged, he remained where he was and knocked on the door again. "Are you alright?"

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa briefly put the cards down to follow Adelbert and the others to the tower, hating to be out of the loop. She was relieved to hear Beatrix Fassbender's voice, but rather worried by her non-answer ; it sure did not sound too good.

"Ludo, better not insist. Trust me on this."

She turned back towards the inn, hoping that gambling and ale would get all this off her mind. She had a feeling that whatever Fassbender was hiding, they would find out either very soon or never.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2015-07-14 at 10:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

"Are you alright?"
    Fassbender's answer came back louder, a shout this time.

"Just go!"

The metal hinges of the tower door rattled - with a sudden squeal of iron, it slammed shut.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-07-14 at 10:51 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo decided to listen to the two wizardresses and beat a hasty retreat.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

When Sieghard had finished parting Elsa from her money, the party settled down to sleep under the hostel's low roof. No more lights or sounds from the tower disturbed their sleep, but Elsa went to bed with a scent of sulphur in her nostrils that none of the others seemed able to smell.

Marktag, 24th Pflugzeit

When morning came, Painford showed no sign of the night's disturbances. The only hint that anything might have happened came from the wary glances the villagers threw at the tower as they left to go about their day. Meanwhile, Fassbender's tower remained silent, no smoke now issuing from its sooty chimney.

Gathering their things and saddling Magnus, the party took their leave of the hostel's keeper and headed south. It was a long walk to Manann's Keep - the only consolation was that by now it was growing rather familiar.

Backertag, 25th Pflugzeit

Bedding down at one of their previous campsites, the party had passed a temperate night under the cover of the Thornwood. Rising early to complete the last leg of their journey, they had just about finished striking Elsa's tent and headed out onto the road when they came across a group coming the other way.

It was a party of mounted men, six or seven in all. In the lead was one of Evatt's knights - the bearded man with the wooden leg they had seen in the Grand Commander's hall. He rode a black charger, easily as high as Magnus at the shoulder and solid with muscle under its glossy coat. Plate armour clinked as he raised an arm to greet them, giving the passing travellers nothing more than a wave and a smile.

The men with him were a little less cheery. Riding lighter horses, they were men-at-arms in chainmail and leather. For the most part they were armed with spears and swords, but Sieghard spotted a couple with crossbows slung across the back of their saddles. Magnus had to be firmly restrained from going over to converse with one of the mares in the squadron, earning Viggo a warning look from the distinctly Sieghard-like character on its back.

When the knight and his followers had disappeared into the forest, they headed onwards towards Manann's Keep. Arriving in the early afternoon, they found the town in an uncharacteristic bustle, its streets teeming with people and wagons. The cause of this soon became apparent: a large force of armed men was mustering by the southern edge of town.

For the most part they were infantry, suited up in Evatt's heraldry in a pantomime of the state troops of the Empire. Sieghard made out a regiment of halberdiers and a small troop of crossbows, while more mounted men-at-arms made up the remainder of the force. The cavalrymen seemed to serve double duty as sergeants, shouting and bullying the train of non-combatants that was forming around the military column into some semblance of order.

At the head of the force were three of Evatt's knights. Elsa recognised the two young knights from the audience chamber, along with the black-maned Bernhard who had argued so forcefully for taking the fight to the greenskins. It looked like he might be getting his wish. Both he and the two others were in full plate, swords at their sides and lances being carried by their squires; their horses were fully caparisoned in steel barding, intricately engraved with symbols of the sea god. The arms and armour of the three knights alone had probably cost more than equipping the rest of the force they led - with such soldiers at his side, it wasn't hard to see how a man like Evatt had overturned the local bandit lords.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #986

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert had been disappointed the girls had vanished, but maybe not as disapponted as he might have been. There were other beauties, even ones in Mirino. Gos he'd never have dreamt he'd long for that dungheep!

But long he did.

He was quiet during the journey, content to continue tutoring Kaja. The side of Evatt's men shook him out his complancey. Uneasily he watched the group of horsemen pass. "To Ravenskird?" He whispered to Sieghard after the riders had disappeared.

At painford he was even more uneasy and approached a civilian: "Where are the soldiers bound my friend? To reinforce Painford?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gossip test (if needed): (1d100)[38] vs.36
    FP reroll (if needed): (1d100)[99] vs.36

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

"Painford?" repeated the washerwoman Adelbert had surprised with his question. "No sir, that's not what I heard. Heading west, this lot, out to Caerfort to put down the greenskins."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #988

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

An expression of surprise and delight crossed Adelbert's face. "Wonderful!" He meant it sincerely; he well recalled the hideous slaughter the orcs had inflicted on the farm they'd passed.

He turned to his companions: "They look ready to set out. Let's march with them. I might even be able to earn some coin as a healer." He looked thoughtfully at the knights, clearly planning on approaching them unless his friends objected.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded. "If they'd allow it, it'd be much safer traveling with them than trying to make it back to Mirino on our own."

30. - Top - End - #990

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert walked over to Bernhard and the other knights, delivering a respctful bow. "Sir knights, I am an initiate of the goddess Verena,-" he gestured at his robes and owl medallion, "And have some skill with healing and fighting. If you'll have us, myself and my comrades who have battled goblins and worse before will gladly join with your expedition as far as Caerfort. The people there are known to me."