New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Paladins and morality

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    That would be cool. Such a Base Class should get the power to deny the effects of Divine Magic through sheer none belief.

Cure serious wounds!

What the? Get your hands off me you creepy-perv-dwarf!

Wha? I'm tryin' tae heal ya, ye daft fool!

Suuure you are. Creep. Stay away from me!

Maybe it'd be better as an NPC class.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AllisterH View Post
    You know, in this entire "paladin" debate on the various threads, I still would like a clear answer as to why paladins have their code yet priests pretty much can do as they please.

How is that Durkon, a LG priest of Thor (a god not known for being chummy with rogues/thieves and scoundrels) can get away with being in the OotS' party yet most paladins are seriously screwed.

WTF?
    Honestly I see 3 possible reasons for this.
    1. WOTC hates Paladins. Lets face it, the Paladin class as a whole is built to suck. The class gets very few really useful class abilities, loses the fighter bonus feats, and on top of that, has that damn Code straightjacket. (smite evil is such a ripoff, wee i get to add a few points of damage to ONE attack once a day, or THREE times) It's funny that it's such a popular class, and yet mechanically its by far the weakest melee class. Seriously, a Fighter/Cleric of equal ECL to the Paladin is much stronger. Better spellcasting, more feats, divine power to even out the BAB.

2. WOTC loves Clerics. This is fairly possible since WOTC tries hard to make the cleric class tempting so that every people will play what used to be derided as a "healbot".

3. Paladins, even of the same god, are supposed to be more morally rigid than Clerics. A Cleric is like the local priest, if he drinks every now and then, likes to gamble, or engages in other petty vices, he's really only human. The Paladin on the other hand is like an even better version of Sir Galahad, so pure and righteous he practically has a halo.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Banned

Isn't this thread dead?

Anyways

Paladins, even of the same god, are supposed to be more morally rigid than Clerics. A Cleric is like the local priest, if he drinks every now and then, likes to gamble, or engages in other petty vices, he's really only human. The Paladin on the other hand is like an even better version of Sir Galahad, so pure and righteous he practically has a halo.
    A Cleric is simple following his/her god

If my god tells me to dance like crazy, i say yes if i want to keep my powers
    Paladins draw their power from raw good, slightly different
    from,
    EE

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

Kind of. Somebody started yet another Alignment/Paladin Thread which is pretty much retreading the same old ground.

Hey, Demented, are you going to make an Atheist Class? I wonder whether it ought to be a Base Class or Prestige Class? Is there a Philosopher Class already?
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-04-21 at 04:40 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Turns out, there's already an Athiest PrC in the Homebrew forum.

There is, however, no Philosopher class. Not in homebrew, anyways.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Whoah. That Prestige Class should be renamed Militant Atheist. Look at the Prerequisite...
    Special: -Must not worship any deity.
    -Must kill at least one cleric whose deity is up to one step away from your alignment.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-04-21 at 04:43 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)