New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default The Village of Hommlet 3.5 IC

The Village of Hommlet

"Your party is now approaching the village of Hommlet. You are badly mounted, badly geared and in general offer a terrible image for any bystander. A motley crew united only by the mutual defense during an attack by goblin marauders. However, the desire to become famous, powerful and wealthy boils in your blood and has taken you into this Bahamut forgotten place. You have heard stories of how this village and its castle grew after the battle of the Meadows against a cult lead by nihilistic gnolls and goblins wh wanted destruction and chaos.

Yes, there might be some orcs among you, but since the events of the year of the falling arrow, orcs all over have expressed a desire to leave wars behind them and unite in powerful clans. Not like goblins and their kin, who only want to kill and destroy.

Hommlet is ruled by Rufus and Burne, or so you have heard, a wizard and a Warrior who were central in the battle 14 years ago and who have secured the funding and patronship of the seven and from the citadel itself. With that, hey build an impressive fortress to stablish a control over the monster infested woods and swamps to the east and south.

But other than the castle, the village looks like a collection of low ill built houses, farms and muddy streets.

What adventures can you find in this place?
    Last edited by HumanTemplate; 2019-03-16 at 04:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: The Village of Hommlet 3.5

Reserved for the DM
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

Arava

Titus ETUM[/URL]

Arus

Oshika-no-Ikari

DM:

RTOEE
    IC OoC

The Village of Homllet IC OoC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Village of Hommlet 3.5

"Scout the village then meet with the chiefs?" asks Gashur as the party gets closer to the settlement. He carries the glaive in hand, always ready to use it, but, in civilized langs, tries to generally do it in a non-threathening manner.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless proposed otherwise, the plan is to scout the village, obtaining the knowledge equivalent to a map and a list of shops/inns/taverns, then make an appointment with local ruling powers at the castle, or with whomever they have appointed for greeting the passing warbands.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

frown Re: The Village of Hommlet 3.5 IC

"Sounds about right to me." She shrugs half-heartedly, trying not to sound too sarcastic about it. She personally thought Gashur was trying a little too hard to establish himself as "leader" their group. Not that she had any issue following that lead. "Are we splitting up, or are the half dozen of us going to spy out this village as a group?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Village of Hommlet 3.5 IC

Jim:
    What kinda scouting you talking about? I wouldn't want to cause alarm for the village with people skulking around the perimeter. Long as we approach careful to make sure those goblin marauders haven't taken the village we should be fine; and signs of that should be pretty obvious. Might be easier to just walk up to the village and introduce ourselves.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Aareon

Aareon sheaths his longsword when they neared the village and unstraps his shield and stows it on his back. He doesn't look all that interested in the discussion but does respond, almost with a bored tone to his voice (as one who is overly confident would), "I doubt that any would confuse us for anything other than what we are. Word will spread of our presence and if that doesn't bring us work on it's own then on the 'morrow I can speak to the humans who rule this area."
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

"I mean open scouting. Talk with locals, yes. Not looking like we cause trouble. Just want to know our way around the village."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

"Of course we wouldn't actually be-." She sighs and shakes her head. "{I suppose people are just more literal where you're from,}" she stage-whispers in Orcish. "That must have been bad phrasing on my part; my point was supposed to be about how inefficient, and likely suspicious- It would be to move as a single group to get the lay of the land."

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Arun Grun laughs and says "Best place to scout a town would be a tavern."

His rather large sword is kept in its sheath on his back - close enough to draw if needed, but best to reassure the locals by not waving it around otherwise, especially for one with orc blood like himself.

10. - Top - End - #10

ElfMonkGuy

As you approach the village itself, leaving behind the last farms, four armed people approach you, and a few children follow them. Probably one of the brats saw you and alerted the local militia. They walk towards you, armed with longspears and axes, and geared up in matching chainmail armors.

But they don't look threatening at all.

"Halt! and state your intentions in the village." says a chubby half-orc who seems to be the one in charge.
    Show

Arava

Titus ETUM[/URL]

Arus

Oshika-no-Ikari

DM:

RTOEE
    IC OoC

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Aareon

Aareon sizes up the militia with respect and nods slightly before speaking, somehow adopting a local accent to his speech, "Boar. Ale. And beds would be our immediate intentions. We've had much work cleaning up the roads of the goblin filth lately and it's high time we spent some of their ill gotten gains, tended our wounds, and rested up before we venture out to find more of their kind. You had any raidin' problems round' these parts as of late?"

Diplomacy: (1d20+6)[19]
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-03-16 at 12:27 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

12. - Top - End - #12

ElfMonkGuy

The militia half-orc looks at the lot of you and gives a nod.

"Alright, tha best place for that would be the Wellcome Wench. Boar is not in season, but they got great cured venison. Be sure to behave correctly. I'll report yer arrival to the bosses."

His unit, two men and a young woman, look at you and then let you go through. The children follow you at a certain distance, laughing and whispering until an elderly woman comes out of her house and grabs one by the ear. the rest laugh and forget about you.
    Show

Arava

Titus ETUM[/URL]

Arus

Oshika-no-Ikari

DM:

RTOEE
    IC OoC

13. - Top - End - #13

RangerGuy

Glimlac walks along with his strange traveling companions, looking out of place as the only one shorter than four feet tall.

"So far, so good. At least the townspeople didn't attack us as soon as they saw us."

He glimpses at the orc, and quickly follows up with a hasty, "Not that they'd have any reason to, of course."

As they walk into the town, he keeps his eyes open for anything of interest: magic shops, historical points of interest, magic shops, etc.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Bek'kuh almost wants to pat him on the head. This sweet summer child (who was probably older than her but she felt that way in spirit). "Eh. Humans prefer to attack us with insults and sidelong glances, anyway."
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-03-16 at 07:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

"Which way is Wellcome Wench?" asks Gashur before continuing through. Then he goes as directed, but keeps his eyes open for any other points of interest. He has no money for any immediate shopping, but just likes to know his surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show
    By the way, what time is it now?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Baridal Ironbeard

Baridal gives a friendly nod of greeting and tries to flash a amicable smile to any local folks they pass that seem to be staring or expressing a look of concern as he and his motley crew of traveling companions walk incongruously through the town.

"Well they ain't run us through with their steel yet, so I'm betting we gonna be just fine.

Oi, I hope dis Welcome Wench ain't much further because I'm as thirsty as a snail stuck in a salt mine. Besides ain't no better way to find out what's what around here then having a few ales at da local quenching hole. "

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you kindly, that sounds delicious Jim says to the militia.
    He'll stay with the group while they get the lay of the land, then head to the tavern.

OOC clarification: how long have we been walking by the way? Just wondering whether we'd all be hungry now cuz it's been an 8 hour walk or something.

18. - Top - End - #18

ElfMonkGuy

The village is rather small (rules-wise is a Hamlet, but calling it the hamlet of Hommlet is dumb).

It 's mostly a collection of farms and some large wooden buildings. To the east you can see the Castle, rising above the village and among many well-groomed groves.

The guards tell you to turn left (north) at the main street. There you'll find the Wellcome Wench. It is the largest building by far, only after the castle. Already you can see that many patrons are gathering there as the chores of the day end.

The place is neat, a sign of prosperity. Despite the aspect of the streets and houses. You get the general feeling that this is a thriving and somehow cosmopolitan community. The milita was well equipped and that castle looks impressive by any measure.

Spoiler: kNOWLEDGE History-Local (Flannaes) or Bardic Knowledge
    Show

[SPOILERDC 10] Hommlet is independent although it sits in the limits of the County of Verbonbonc. It grew after the battle of the Meadows, but you don't really know much about that battle.

Spoiler: DC 15
    Show
    The collection of farms under the name of Hommlet and the village of Nulb were the most important settlements this far east. Nulb however has a bad reputation and it seems it has been abandoned. Rumors have it that the Viscount of Verbonbonc is worried about bandit brigands operating from the forests and marshes east of Hommlet.

Spoiler: DC 20
    Show
    The caslte was built after the battle of the Meadows, in which the allied forces of good fought an army of monsters and bandits who had taken Nulb as a base of operation and built a Moat House east of Hommlet. Apparently, the citadel and some other local powers sponsored the castle and have helped Hommlet to remain independent from Verbonbonc.

Spoiler: DC 25
    Show
    More obscure lore says that those monsters and brigands were in facts followers of a nihilistic and destructive cult which had a smal chappel in the marches near Nulb. The chappel grew into a temple and a group of heroes took it down. Some of the heroes of that battle unified Hommlet and were granted the recognition of the Church of St Cuthbert and the Citadel. They still live in the village
    [/SPOILER]

The wellcome Wench is a nice busy place, it offers food and lodging and it is the only inn in several leagues around. Though there's a brewery in the village too.
    Last edited by HumanTemplate; 2019-03-17 at 08:44 AM.
    Show

Arava

Titus ETUM[/URL]

Arus

Oshika-no-Ikari

DM:

RTOEE
    IC OoC

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Aareon

Aareon nods as they depart the militia but frowns a bit before finally speaking "Shouldn't have waited until my 110th year to learn the common tongue. Which animal is the boar again? Is that the one humans get milk from and clambers along the mountainsides?"

As they approach the Inn, Aareon smiles at the thought of warm food instead of another ration tonight, "I hadn't realized this was going to be a real human city and not just another speck of houses on the side of the road. Gods I hope they have wine."

Spoiler: Dinner
    Show

Aareon will purchase a meal (good meal per phb, 5sp) with wine if they have it, or the local beer from the brewery if they don't.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-03-17 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Typo
    Camel's Handbook

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Bek'kuh

Her face narrows at the elf's description. "Boars are pigs, but angrier. You're probably thinking of a goat. And trust me, it's enough of a hassle getting milk from one of those that if someone made an honest attempt to milk a boar I could do little except entreat the gods for the safe passage of that poor soul."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hullo there. Good evening." says Gashur entering the establisment. He sits where a welcoming wench directs him, presumably with the rest of the party. He puts the glaive against the wall, the backpack and the quiver on the floor near the table. He doesn't take off his spiked gauntlet from the left hand. "One good dinner, with meat, ale and stuff, please." says the orc putting two silver coins on the table. Manners. In civilized lands it's all about manners.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    Aareon will purchase a meal (good meal per phb, 5sp) with wine if they have it, or the local beer from the brewery if they don't.
    I think that's 5sp per day. Maybe 2sp for the dinner.

After the dinner, Gashur will take a bath / laundry service. Not sure how much that is going to cost. Then he is going to take Common lodging (for 5sp, presumably).
    Last edited by u-b; 2019-03-17 at 10:53 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Baridal Ironbeard

Baridal gives a rumbled chuckle after hearing Bek'kuh mention someone trying to milk a boar.
    "Nae caring if it's boar, goat, or even roasted rat, as long as it's a hot meaty meal and not more of those dry Rations we been choking down."
    Baridal gives a wry playful grin towards Aareon as they walk into the Wellcome Wench
    "And who knows, Maybe they have some twigs and squirrel food for Aareon to eat."

Baridal follows Gashur in, but he breaks off and goes straight to the bar. He orders 2 mugs of Ale, and then makes his way back to the table whereever the rest of the party is sitting. Once he has a couple swigs from each mug he then orders some food.

Spoiler: Dinner
    Show
    Baridal orders couple mugs of ale(8cp), a loaf of bread (2cp) and chuckle of whatever meat they have (4sp)dinner. For a grand total of 5sp.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Jim:
    Jim chuckles at the amusing banter, but is otherwise largely silent aside from a few remarks:
    ahhh, good to be back in a proper city again.

at the tavern he'll order a poor meal, and likewise for lodgings when it comes time for that.
    No telling how long it'll take to find work here, and for that work to earn some money. Looking forward to a nice long rest from all that walking we've been doing.

24. - Top - End - #24

ElfMonkGuy

The place has a high reputation and there are man,y customers.
    Farmers and hunters who talk about the weather and animals, harvests and rains. Apparently there was some late spring ice a few days ago.
    Others crack jokes and the general busy conversation of the gig gives the impression of a united and well off community.

Prosperity can also be smelled in the air and on the well-served tables: Venison and mutton, poached salmon and trout, goose and pork, saussages and beans, kidney pies and mushrooms.
    Crayfish in butter.

The patrons hold large mugs of mead and beer and fine bottles of wine can be seen at the bar.

The patrons look at you, but none pays much attention. Most are human, but there are some half orcs and halflings.

Prices are higher than usual as this is the only inn in several miles.

Spoiler: Welcome Wench: Price table
    Show
    Breakfast plain Breakfast elaborate Dinner, plain Dinner elaborated Dinner, 7 courses Supper, simple Supper, elaborate Beer, pint Beer, Heavy, pint Ale, pint Ale special, pint Mead, pint Mead, special brew, pint Wine pint Wine Keoish golden, pint Wine, Urnst white Wine, Celene Ruby Wine, Sundish lilac Wine Furyoundian emerald Wine, Velunan fireamber, pint Brandy, local Brandy, Keoish, gill Brandy, Ursnt, aged special Ulek elixir liqueur
    5c.p 2sp 5sp 1gp 2gp 3sp 7sp 5cp 1sp 2sp 1sp 1sp 15sp 1sp 15sp 1gp 2gp 3gp 4gp 1pp 1sp 1gp 3gp 5gp
    Last edited by HumanTemplate; 2019-03-18 at 04:15 AM.
    Show

Arava

Titus ETUM[/URL]

Arus

Oshika-no-Ikari

DM:

RTOEE
    IC OoC

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Bek'kuh

She sits near Arun and looks over the menu, eyeing the "special brew" mead curiously. Well, she did have the coin to spare... "I'll have whatever meat and vegetables you've got, and two pints of that special brew mead."

Spoiler
    Show
    Simple Supper + 2 pints special mead. -33 SP. 44 GP and 3 SP left.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-03-17 at 03:18 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Arun says "That sounds good. I'll have the same. Please" he tells the server.

He tells his companions "I don't know about this place, for work. Too big, too strong. If I were a goblin, I probably wouldn't raid it."

27. - Top - End - #27

RangerGuy

Glimlac looks around at the patrons, taking in the whole scene, and joins his companions at a table.

"Yep. Seem relatively competent here. Even have guards."

He orders a simple supper and a pint of beer from the server.

"Maybe like the stories performed on stage, some random, needy and -very- wealthy stranger will come running in through the door seeking brave adventurers to assist them in some horrible horror that has befallen them."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Aareon

Aareon's face doesn't change as he looks through his coin purse but he does respond to Glimlac, "Hopefully very wealthy."

When his food comes Aareon puts away far more food than you would expect an elf to eat. He washes it down with three glasses of wine all the while getting more and more talkative (and boastful).

"Have a hard time telling the difference between an orc and dwarf. They smell the same, they drink the same. Barely tell the difference. I'm told one is fatter than the other and even humans won't mate with one of em'. Both can't hit goblins for shít." The elf laughs at that referencing the goblin attack (although conveniently forgetting the beginning of the fight).

"Ahh, I'm joking you two. But if we could get Glimlac a weapon, I'm gonna need some help on the front line if you two don't step it up. It was cute making Gashur 10 feet tall to make things even between us, but next time probably cast a spell that makes him actually hit things." (wildly inaccurate description of the fight from Aareon).

At some point, Aareon will work the room a little bit before bed. As an elf he's used to humans asking more about him and he works it up trying to get some information about the area.

Spoiler: Money Spent
    Show

Supper Elaborate: 7 sp, 3 glasses of wine, celene ruby: 6 Gp

Will also gather information throughout the evening:

Gather Information: (1d20+2)[16]
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-03-18 at 05:13 AM.
    Camel's Handbook

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Being informed that his two silver coins are only good for one pint of ale (or two pints of ale special) and not for the dinner itself, Gashur orders said ale and inquires how much would it be for the dinner. He is somewhat impressed by the prices, but then confirms his dinner request. Dining, Gashur is not hurrying anywhere and tries to have good time and enjoy the music some band seems to be playing. The place seem to have an ample supply of patrons. "Prosperous community." he says "Maybe good thing." But he was, in fact, not sure. Maybe good thing if and when the party is on the receiving end of the payments. Anyway, for now, he has paid for it... "{Wanna dance?}" he asks Bek'kuh in Orcish.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elaborated dinner for 10sp and 2sp worth of ale.

Perform (dance, conditional): (1d20-1)[17]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Bek'kuh

She eyes Gashur with a hint of mirth. It was moments like these where she likes to imagine that the other two orcs in the party were in some sort of competition over her (it wasn't that long ago that she was a teenager, and a socially stunted one at that; she can dream). Still, the song playing lacked a certain "oomph" that orcish music tended to have in spades. "I'm not even sure we can dance to this, but I don't see why we can't try."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perform (Dance) (1d20+2)[21]
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-03-20 at 09:27 AM.