New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Nightmare of SIDE

The speedster thought back, taking a moment to compose her thoughts. "There were a lot of them, I know that. Most of them were wearing white masks and...some sort of funky armor, I think. Oh, except the first one I saw. She didn't have any armor and her mask was black and red. She was big though, like a foot taller than the others, and built. They didn't talk at all, that I heard anyway, just marched through the cell blocks opening the cells and moving on. I...didn't really understand what was going on at first, but I saw some of the other prisoners leaving and then Tamra decloaked in front of me and said we had to get out of there and we went. We found Carl upstairs."

"I wasn't...really paying much attention when we left, but there were a lot of bodies, and I don't think I saw any of them in white masks and the armor. We got outside, it was all dark and rainy, but that's not a problem for us. There was another guy in one of the white masks at the door, but he wasn't in the weird armor. Some of the people who got out a bit ahead of just just walked past, but he stopped us, pointed over at some woman who was standing off a bit, told us to go talk with her. That she had something for us. We did it, 'cause like, these guys had helped us, you know? And she touched us and there was a light and it was...a rush. I can't really describe it. And she told us she had augmented our powers and we should go and have fun with them. Tamra was worried that SIDE would catch us again, but she said not to worry, that SIDE would be way too busy to look for people like us as long as we didn't kill anyone, and even if they did that with our new powers we'd be too strong for them anyway."

"I asked what her name was, but she didn't tell me. Um...I think that's all the major details I remember, except the giant gaping hole in the front wall, but I assume you already know ab- huh. That was just like she had said, wasn't it? Maybe she wasn't crazy."
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

"How much have your powers been augmented, and in what ways? I wouldn't mind grabbing a boost if we find the bitch"
    Kyton asks
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

Kyton: NoS (M&M3e) IC
    Argent: The B-Team IC

Former Characters

Butterball avatar by Rayne

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Prophet listens patiently for the girl to finish her tale.

"Can you describe the masks and armor?" He turns a quizzical eye on Avery. The man certainly had a strange gift, but he recalled a handful of cartoons. Perhaps... "Mr. Avery, I apologize, but are you able to paint? We could use a sketch artist right about now."
    With your every step, these grand adventures shall grow more distant and faint. And there may come a day when you forget the faces and voices of those you have met along the way. On that day, I bid you remember this... That no matter how far your journey may take you, you stand where you stand by virtue of the road you walked to get there.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

"Um, quite a lot, I guess. I mean, I'm not really sure how to answer. They're just...a lot stronger, kinda overall, I guess."

"Mmm...white masks, covering their full faces...they didn't really have any distinguishing features on them. They were kinda just...blank and smooth. The armor was like...metal and shiny, not like the armor SIDE wears and stuff. But not like the armor knights wear in fairy tales either, it wasn't as bulky as that. More...streamlined, kind of, I guess."
    She shrugged.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

"Just Avery, my father yadayada" the Hero replies as he slams an easel and canvas in to the ground, his regular attire replaced by a paint stained smock and beret. "I don't know, lets find out." With that he sets about the canvas with gusto splattering paint everywhere as he does.

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Power Stunt off Hammer Space: "I'm a Regular Picasso" Enhanced Advantage 1 (Equipment)(Permanent) Linked to Enhanced Skill 20 (Expertise:Artist) [1+10]
    Spend a Hero Point to cancel fatigue and Roll to paint Natasha's description (1d20+20)[30]
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2015-02-05 at 02:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Avery's painting is quite good. Natasha watches him work, occasionally making some suggestions or adding a detail as the painting progresses; seeing it in front of her makes it a lot easier to specify details. He's still working within the limits of her memory and description, but by the end Natasha confirms that it's as close as she can recall.

By the time the picture is finished, sirens are clearly audible not too far in the distance, closing quickly.

Spoiler
    Show
    With Avery's image, you guys will be able to identify the masked-and-armored attackers if you encounter them.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2015-02-06 at 02:40 AM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

"Do you recall which cell block they started opening first?"
    With your every step, these grand adventures shall grow more distant and faint. And there may come a day when you forget the faces and voices of those you have met along the way. On that day, I bid you remember this... That no matter how far your journey may take you, you stand where you stand by virtue of the road you walked to get there.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

"Mmm...I think they just opened them as they reached them, but I don't really know for sure. They opened my cell and I went straight for the exit, didn't really pay attention to where they were going."

SIDE arrived then, although it was only a single squad in an APC, responding to the reports of Dreamer attacks in this area. They were kinda lucky; it would have been typical SIDE-level overkill for taking down down the Storm Runners based on what their files said, but they'd have had a tough fight on their hands against the Dreamers you had faced.

When they approached the scene, they saw Avery, Kyton, and Prophet in the building with two of the Dreamers already subdued. The power-armored officer dropped from the vehicle, although the ACV itself remained hovering in the air with the squad.

(Hayseed might realize...that was usual protocol for this sort of situation. Typically they'd park the ACV and the squad would come out to process and retrieve the suspects.)

But the reasoning was explained when the ACV turned and, weapon systems manned by the three agents within, unloaded its power-suppressor, a barrage of concussion rounds, and its laser cannon all at a point about ten feet up, five feet right, and twenty feet back from the broken window. Then the power armored officer flew into the air and came down on that spot with a crushing, dropping blow from both fists. The already badly injured Windstorm faded back into visibility as she dropped from the air like a rock, hitting the ground unconscious.

Blitz turned to the disturbance with a cry, but before she could, you know, do anything the officer was already pointing its guns at her and the well-armed ACV was hovering menacingly at her and/or in her general direction. To say nothing for any of the heroes' reactions.

Spoiler: In case you're wondering
    Show
    Windstorm did actually manage to pass Stealth against Hayseed's Perception earlier. What she didn't pass was the untrained DC 10 Expertise (Law Enforcement) check to know that SIDE standard-issue HUDs come with broad-spectrum sensor suites that Counter All Concealment, and so didn't get the heck out of there when she heard the sirens.

Because seriously, guys, the Storm Runners are kinda stupid...

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

In a flash Avery tore off his smock as the power armours opened fire, leaving him standing in his usual attire and holding his mallet. Back in his usual attire, the short man fixes Blitz with the best look his bizarre eyes are able to give.

"Don't do anything you're gonna regret."

Show
    Move Action:Hammer Space to "Acme Mallet" Damage 10 Linked to Affliction 10 (Dazed&Impaired/Disabled&Stunned, Fort)(Cumulative, Extra Condition)(Limited Degree) [10+20]
    Standard Action: Ready an action to attack Blitz if she does anything other than cooperate with the nice men in power armour.
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2015-02-08 at 04:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hayseed laughs out loud as the APC blasts Windstorm into unconsciousness. She leaps down towards the agent in the power armor and holds her hands up.

"High five!" she enthuses, "I'd worried that she'd rabbited. Thank you all SO much for your help."

She turns back to her squad.

"So, I've just got wind of some SIDE agents playing hookey and my usual technopath is cold-shouldering me! And we STILL have those agents in the hospital! Whaddayasay we check in on some of them?"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

"How likely are the hospitalised agents to know much more than the Runners? And how often does your 'usual technopath' brush you off? I'm not the agent here, I don't know how you people work. If you think any of these are valid leads, I will trust your judgement"
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

Kyton: NoS (M&M3e) IC
    Argent: The B-Team IC

Former Characters

Butterball avatar by Rayne

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Blitz just sighed and held up her hands. "Darn it, Tamra. Why didn't you run?" she murmured.

Now the ACV parked and the agents came out, one of them radioing for a transport vehicle while the others went about securing the Dreamers and the officer approached the group.

The tilt of his helmet was sufficient that, even unable to see his face, it was obvious that he was wearing a bemused expression at Hayseed's antics. But he did give her a high five.

"Before you go, is there anything else we need to know about these three?" the officer asked.

"Hey, um..." Natasha said as one of the agents cuffed her with power-dampeners. "You...you should talk to Serana. She...knew, I think. About the attack. Maybe."

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well, I guess it's possible that the agents got a different view of our attackers, maybe enough to give us an idea of who or why. As for my technopath . . . well, Lilah's a bit of a so-and-so sometimes, but it's not something I'd ex-PECT, so . . . I'm sorry, what was that sweetie?" Hayseed interrupts herself, turning to Natasha, "Who's Serana?"

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

"Serana, uhh...something. I don't know. She was in my cell block. I think she was a telepath, or something? Only a little, uh," she kinda fumbled at twirling a finger beside her head with the cuffs on. "But about a week ago she was talking a bunch of crazy stuff about a blast of light out of the night, and death and ruin would come to SIDE, and their prizes would be freed...weird stuff. I think some agents came to take her to an institution, or something. I don't remember seeing her again after that, anyway. But looking back...it kinda sounds a lot like what happened. She mentioned the masks. I definitely remember her mentioning the masks."

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hayseed stares at Blitz blankly for a moment, and then turns brightly to her companions.

"New plan! We find Missy Crazypants the Psychic Lady and see what she has for us. And thank YOU dear, you've been very helpful. Sorry for shooting at you!"

She now turns to the agent who'd high-fived her.

"One's a teleporter who packs a serious punch. This young lady is an electrokinetic speedster. And the one you blitzed (pardon the pun, dear) is an aerokinetic with invisibility powers. Apparently they've been amped up by someone or something, according to Mister Way here, so be careful!"

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sounds like a plan boss. Let me see if I've got anything on this Serana chick."

Avery jams his mallet back in to his hat, when he pulls his hand back out it's holding a large 8-ball that he starts violently shaking.

"Come on show me what you got!"

Spoiler: Roll for Well-Informed
    Show
    (1d20+10)[17]

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

The eight ball came up with "Outlook not very good."

Spoiler
    Show
    I will note, you did not fail the Well Informed check.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Avery raises and eyebrow, peering at the result and shaking the 8-ball a few more times just to be sure.

"Well that aint good."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hayseed has no small experience with magic 8 balls. Back during her wizard-robe-wearing phase, Julia would always insist that every action she take be approved by a battered red magic 8 ball. She peers owlishly at Avery's, accepting that he probably can get much more information out of it.

"Um . . . does that mean that the outlook isn't so good for her or for us?" she asks hesitatingly.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

When turning the black orb over in his hands fails to make it disgorge any more information Avery shrugs and takes a large bite out of it, munching it like an apple.

"No clue, I'm no Prophet, really should of checked the Rolodex but I just had to go for that retro look didn't I? If I had to guess I'm gonna say we should be on our toes but that's just good advice."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hayseed nods. Yep, being on your toes keeps you going! Much like in ballet and oh fiddlesticks she's gone and reminded herself that she missed Marsha's dance recital! Her mood darkens somewhat, but she continues to smile.

"Righto then! Let's see if we can get an address here," she beams, and starts making some phone calls.

"Heya, would you happen to know where we've got a precog or telepath named Serana? Got moved out of the headquarters clink about a week ago. Was acting nutty?"

Show
    Investigation: (1d20+10)[16]

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

The agent Hayseed calls take a minute or so to check some files. "Mmm...I don't have any transfer records here. From what I'm seeing she should have still been inside. Unless the record just didn't get uploaded to the off-site servers yet. It might still be on the computers back at HQ, if someone can get any of them running."

Hayseed knows that if it was a week ago, it really should have been uploaded off-site by now (that usually happens nightly) although mistakes are possible. It may not have been queued properly.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Uuuuuhhh-HUH!" Hayseed contemplates this fresh intel. Of course, administrative errors happen, but . . .

"Well, thanks for your help dear!" she trills brightly, and then hangs up. Her face, upon turning to her allies, was somehow simultaneously cheery and grim.

"Well, according to SIDE, Serana was never transferred. Now, I'd LIKE to be a company woman and stick up for SIDE, but I have an inkling that we have some moles to deal with. Possibly our missing agents."

Hayseed is smiling, but her jaw is set and her fingers twitch with unkind deeds to inflict upon the recalcitrant agents. No sir, this will not do at ALL.

"Here's the list of missing agents," she continues, holding out the list on her phone for others to see, "As of RIGHT NOW, these fellas are our priority. We find them, we figure out what they're up to, and we take . . . appropriate action. Whaddayasay?"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

"Lets play some whack-a-mole. So how do we find them? You SIDE guys got some kinda sneaky black-ops bar you all hang out in?"

Avery thinks for a second and pulls his own phone out of his trouser pocket, it's a disappointingly modern looking affair but hey you can't beat a smart phone. "While you got that thing out we should probably swap digits you know?"

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hayseed snags his phone and inputs her number into it.

"We find 'em the old fashioned way, of course! Let's dig some stuff up!"

And off she goes to do just that.

Show
    Investigation: (1d20+10)[18]

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

The group spends several hours speaking to friends and families, canvassing neighborhoods, questioning contacts, going through the damaged SIDE computers for logs and security footage and such (once a technician has them in at least a vaguely working order again), and so on. Their investigation bears quite a bit of fruit.

They manage to pin down five of the six missing agents...unfortunately. Paul Meyers was indeed on shift at the front desk that night - in other words, sitting right in line of whatever massive energy blast had torn through the building. Austin Harolds, Katherine Jones, Tamara Soon, and Jacoba Alten were likewise on duty in locations that put them well within the area of the blast. They haven't been seen or heard from since the attack. They were evidently vaporized.

Even more unfortunately, it isn't enough to put Hayseed's growing concern to rest. Once the computers are running, Hayseed is able to pull up some security feeds from that night, but during the attack itself, many of the feeds - everything from cameras that would have provided useful information - are blank, evidence that the cameras had been disabled beforehand. After finding that, Hayseed is able to find evidence of other tampering in several of the prison's security measures.

There's more to it, though. Several of the feeds, mostly in the hours leading up to the attack have been outright deleted, with no user identification for who had done so. There's no evidence that the system was accessed at all. Similarly for several of the bypassed security measures. The only possibilities for going in and removing such files outright from both the local and off-site servers are a truly world-class hacker with a hard line into both systems (good luck), or a powerful technopath.

With all that to chew on, the group continues their investigation into the sole remaining unaccounted-for agent, Rick Miller. Recalling his previous vision of a SIDE agent entering a building around sundown (and with sundown on the approach), Prophet reaches out to his contacts to try to identify the location. An old Porello informant recognizes the description as the city morgue.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2015-02-12 at 02:21 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hayseed is very nearly peeved as the evening rolls on. This has been a disaster. She's nearly missed a whole DAY of family activities! And yes, there has been the attack on SIDE and whatnot, but still! A whole DAY!

As she strides into the morgue, she goes over the hypotheses she has floating around in her head.

1) Missing agents were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and were unfortunately vaporized. Surveillance wipes and tampering were the work of an external technopath.

2) Missing agents were in on it, disabled the cameras, got vaporized to cover the tracks of whatever organization did this. Surveillance wipes were the work of a technopath OR a hacker that had come in with the assault team and set up a hard line while everyone else was liberating the prisoners.

3) Missing agents were in on it, disabled the cameras, are STILL ALIVE. Surveillance wipes were the work of a technopath OR a hacker that had come in with the assault team and set up a hard line while everyone else was liberating the prisoners.

Not a one of these sits well with Hayseed. Hence her less-than-cheerful attitude as they approach the morgue.
    Last edited by herodofcows; 2015-02-12 at 07:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Gonna have to rewind you juuuust a bit there . I wasn't certain if you'd want to head straight to the morgue, so waited for some indication before I set the stage there.

The sun is low on the horizon as the group (presumably, unless any of the others don't want to follow Hayseed to the morgue for some reason) arrives. The morgue is a two story white building with a sort of curving driveway/parking lot in front of it, forming a sort of concrete island of sidewalk around some grass and trees. A man in a SIDE uniform is entering the building.

Assuming he's there to see it, the scene is precisely as Caleb remembers from his vision.

Spoiler: OOC again
    Show
    That said, do you want to continue directly inside as stated?

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Hayseed pulls up a picture of Miller and tries to see if the gentleman entering the building matches up.

Show
    Perception: (1d20+14)[15]

. . . so, as far as she's concerned, they may as well have just seen Macklemore. What what, what, what?
    Last edited by herodofcows; 2015-02-13 at 12:09 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the picture is of the guy's front and they're facing his back, so Hayseed can't be sure, but she can still make out enough details to tell that his general height, weight, and build match up.

Spoiler
    Show
    No auto-fail or critical failures on skill checks, and a 15 total is still enough to make a decent comparison, although it's not certain by any means.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide