New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [IC] The Golden Archipelago

The whole answer you get is summarized by a raised eyebrow. "Oh, is that so?"
    Quote Originally Posted by OverdrivePrime View Post
    We could be The Band of the Squeaky Horn. Let our battle cry of "honk, honk %&#*$%@-#$*&%@$ers!!" be feared throughout the land!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Edwin says nothing. His career at sea has given his eyes the look that speaks of experience at war. As to the rest, let the governor guess why he requested the items. They would certainly be a boon, but were not necessary to his plan.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

3. - Top - End - #93

RedWizardGuy

And so the stare contest begins, both sides unflinching.
    We could be The Band of the Squeaky Horn. Let our battle cry of "honk, honk %&#*$%@-#$*&%@$ers!!" be feared throughout the land!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Phillip's confusion runs rampant across his face. He knows enough, however to not interrupt either his superior, or this unusual man who claims the title of governor. He stands behind Edwin, desiring nothing less than to be anywhere else, witnessing anything else, at this particular moment.

...except maybe not back in that alley.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

"We were stopped by French vessels upon entering the Archipelago. They had among them a preacher who I very much want some words with in private. They intend war whether you see it or not, and a Dutch vessel operating against them with a letter of Marque would draw ships and men away from those intentions, and also away from this island, since you value it's safety. As to the pardon, I need some leverage over that preacher to convince him to tell me what he knows. They guard him tightly." Edwin was not telling all his intentions, but every word was true.

6. - Top - End - #96

RedWizardGuy

"...Bellerose." comes out of Holt's mouth as a barely audible whisper. He begins to flip some papers lying on the desk until he finds something and starts to read it, ignoring you for a moment.

"You are very lucky to be sitting here," he finally adresses you, "because it was not a French ship at all. You had a doubtful pleasure of meeting "Padre" Andre face to face, and you managed to walk away. He's a scallywag of worst sort, an ex-priest who's now terrorizing merchants on these waters."

The governor apprizes you with a stern gaze, "You do not want to cross him. Not headlong, at least. He's a big fish, he's got money, he's got connections. And he is cunning, more than I want to give him credit for. He gets the scent of you two on his trail and you may start counting your days, boys, which means you need to be even more cunning than he is."

He starts to flip a few pages again, then takes out a clean sheet of paper and writes something down. He then folds it, seals with wax and lies down in front of Edwin. "I tell you this: bring me Andre's head, and we will return to this conversation. I may even consider joining forces with Klein - but if I do, it will be on my terms.

If you find yourselves in times of dire need, take this letter to a man called Alpert; you should be able to find him in Port Royale. But only contact him if you absolutely have to, not earlier! Now go, I have a lot of work to do.
    "

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

For the first time, Philip comments aloud. I knew he wasn't being forthright with us, but I cannot help but wonder what his intentions were. He badly garbled a few verses in French, included some nonsense from an entirely different source, but...

Captain, I think we should closely inspect our crew when we return to the ship. Is there any chance he could have planted someone among our own men? I-
    Philip returns to his thoughts, unwilling to risk revealing more without being certain as to the loyalties of the governor.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

"My thanks. We will be careful. Until we meet again, governor." Edwin takes the paper, turns and leaves, asking the guard to take them to what passes for a marketplace on this island, asking around for someone willing to sell a pair of pistols.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Edwin examines the pistols he just purchased, and turns to Phillip. "Is there anything you want while we are here? These have exhausted most of my available coin, but we have some cargo we can liquidate."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

One hand instinctively drifts to his recent injury as Philip ponders the question. Some sort of armor would be good to have, for certain. It occurs to me that it might be nice to find something lighter that we could wear beneath more typical outerwear. Knowledge is power, after all, and if our enemies think we are more vulnerable than we are, it could play to our benefit.

.... Of course, if we're obviously well armored, they may be even less inclined to settle conflicts with violence, which certainly has some appeal to it. I may have gotten lucky once, but I'm not eager to try my luck again- and certainly not without something protective.

On a different note, we should see if we can find any useful information about this John Wells person. I wasn't able to learn anything useful back at the Emerald Landing- except perhaps that he's active in the archipelago in the first place.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

"Look around and see if there's any armor you like. Then we can worry about finding John Wells."

12. - Top - End - #102

RedWizardGuy

After spending a lively hour rummaging through the local markets, you both satisfy your needs and walk away with considerably lighter purses. Edwin got himself a real beauty - a very expensive, but reliable and technologically advanced flintlock. It's weighted properly and the materials seem to be good, too. It comes with a small amount of bullets and powder, but getting a refill shouldn't pose any problems.

In the meantime, Phillip hunts down an armor, so to say. It is a thick, well-served leather jacket reinforced with iron rings here and there, and a pair of similarly thick breeches. Leather gloves, belt and a hood complement the whole attire. There are several seams here and there, indicating that a previous owner took his share of beating, but it should serve you well enough. Of course, you won't be able to wear it under your normal clothes and five minutes in it makes you sweat, but a cloak and dim light should allow you to conceal it without much of a hassle.

Shopping done, you step into a tavern, preferably slightly further away from your own ship, to avoid your men uncovering your identities, should you choose to pretend to be someone else. Sitting down and ordering a drink, you look around the place. It is modest but neat and there are several customers in already. A couple of sailors, some peons, a storyteller mumbling something about krakens and sea serpents. A man about your age, innkeeper by the looks of it, disappears into an alcove with a full tray, indicating that there's a bigger persona here as well.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

"You'd think with all the ships that travel through these islands that one of the Empires would take care of all the pirates." Edwin says loud enough to be overheard. He changes his tone and verbage to the rougher sort used by career sailors. He would never make it sound perfect, he pronounced words too clearly from his tutoring at a young age, but it would be harder to tell his lineage. "Bloody pirates are bad for business. While you were ashore at Emerald Landing, there was a known pirate, sailing under British colors, able to come and go as he pleased. Doesn't matter that he stole a few ships from the Navy, or that he was a wanted man. Its despicable." Edwin watches the innkeeper leave too the back room. He waits for the innkeeper to return before asking him. "Bartender, have you ever heard of an English captain called Ishmel Johannes?"

14. - Top - End - #104

RedWizardGuy

Hearing your remark about pirates, the sailors sitting a few tables away of you nod grimly in unison and raise their mugs in a silent toast, but neither of them comments. A usual topic - pirates. Nobody likes them, nobody benefits from their activity, unless you are one of them, that is. Uncertainty is just bad for business.

"Can't say I have, no!" replies the young man. "Not many of you folks visit this port, and rumour didn't bring a word about him, I'd know. Who is e, anyway, this Johannes? Doesn't really sound like a Briton, if you ask me."
    Last edited by Norandil; 2015-01-16 at 04:18 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

"If I can ever find him or where he stashed the lovely daughter of his, he will be my father in law. As to the name, I don't know the family history but you have all sorts on the Isles whose ancestors came over from the continent or other parts of the world. The name is Germanic, so could be from anywhere in the middle of Europe." Edwin nods to the back room. "Got some rich bloke back there that's too good to drink with the rest of us? "

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    "If I can ever find him or where he stashed the lovely daughter of his, he will be my father in law. As to the name, I don't know the family history but you have all sorts on the Isles whose ancestors came over from the continent or other parts of the world. The name is Germanic, so could be from anywhere in the middle of Europe." Edwin nods to the back room. "Got some rich bloke back there that's too good to drink with the rest of us? "
    Phillip removes as much of his makeshift armor as he quickly can and laughs aloud. In a self-deprectaing tone, he comments Heh, who in't too good ta drink with us common folk? If I could 'fford it, I'd never be seen 'n me own company, neither! Bloody nev'r know what's gonn' happen with all of us around!

17. - Top - End - #107

RedWizardGuy

The innkeeper gives Phillip a quizzical look and a tentative smile before answering Edwin's question "I like Germans. Solid people, you ask me. Payin on time, fine with a flagon and some stew. This one back there," he waves his hand towards the alcove, "is a frog. Picky, but payin well, so I do what he say. Any customer is a welcome customer, so I say."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

"Germans can have a temper, and vengeance is something they pay on time and in full as well. They make great friends and terrible enemies. As to the French...Can't say I like the French....no Englishman would....not as proper one anyway...but I can't say I've got any reason to hate them. A sailor can't be too choosy when it comes to grudges. A man you sail beside one day might be trying to kill you the next, and that's not withstanding the pirates and privateers. Like I was saying before the Jade Dancer was in a British port under British colors with Bennett still at the helm. That bastard stole more British ships than I care to count, and they let him go with impunity...." Edwin let's his rant trail off and takes another long drink.

19. - Top - End - #109

RedWizardGuy

"Can't say I know this folk neither. Don' ask me bout Englishmen. Two of them I know is Wells and Morgan, but everyone knows them. Oh an there's Jacob from down the street, still owing me silver coin!" the innkeeper looks around angrily, as if checking shady corners for any trace of this Jacob. "And there's Blackwood, too. Tough bastard, wouldn't like to meet 'im in an dark alley. He'll get Wells head, I tell you this, even ol' Johny won't beat Blackwood!

And what you too be doing here anyways?
    "
    Last edited by Norandil; 2015-01-16 at 04:38 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

"With all the stories about Wells and Morgan everyone knows of them. I think they are too fanciful to exist. Have you ever met or seen them? Pah, nursery takes to scare people. I heard one fool claim to be a quartermaster to Wells....or maybe Morgan....Can't recall which....load of fools." Edwin takes a long drink of ale. "As to what we are doing here, we'll I'm here to see the governor. My pa is the King of England and I'm a bloody Lord." He points to Phillip. "He's the King of Norway but don't tell anyone. " Edwin guffawed at the "joke". "We ate sailors, man, you think we go anywhere our ship doesnt?"

21. - Top - End - #111

RedWizardGuy

The man shrugs. "You could just told you don't wanna share. That your business, no need to come up with this nobility crap story. Just call me if you need another ale, aye?" he adds friendly before moving on to other customers.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, don't be like that, barkeep. It was just a bit of fun." Edwin said, continuing drinking. He lowers his voice and whispers to Phillip. "I'd like to talk to the Frenchman, but no way to do it without drawing a lot of attention. We could just wait for him to leave, find out what ship he is on and wait for him."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Philip turns his attention to Edwin. Perhaps the bartender could tell us what his business interests are? It might be best if we simply ask him to present us to the man. It's unlikely that anything would come to violence here in the tavern...

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

"Barkeep, that frenchman in the back room, is he a captain or a merchant? My friend and I might be looking to switch ships, and I can speak a few words of French, and he can speak a few others. Do you think we could talk to him?"

25. - Top - End - #115

RedWizardGuy

"Knock yourself out. It ain't my lunch you will be interrupting," he says without turning. "And merchant it is. I think."

There are two men in the alcove, most likely the merchant and his captain, taking care of the boring seafaring stuff for his employer. Their conversation cuts immediately when you enter and they both look at you, surprised. The sailor shifts in his seat slightly, but his hand still hangs in the air, holding a wooden spoon.

The merchant, easily recognisable thanks to his posh outfit, wipes his mouth with a napkin and sets away his meal, clearing his throat with a sip of wine. "Now, who might those two be, I wonder? What do you think, friend? Shall we invite them to dine with us?" he asks in clear Dutch after facing you again.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

"I am Captain Taragon, and this is my first officer, Phillip." Edwin says, once he is sure the door is firmly closed behind him. "Pardon the interruption, we will keep our disruption brief." Edwin speaks in Dutch as well, failing to speak as clearly as the other man. "I told the barkeep that we were looking for work as sailors. In truth, we are hunting for pirates, on orders from the Dutch Navy. None of those around here know much, as most are landsmen, but a merchant such as yourself surely has had run-ins with pirate scum."

Spoiler
    Show
    If I need to test foreign language:
    B3: (3d6)[2][1][3](6)

27. - Top - End - #117

RedWizardGuy

"Oh sure I had my share of encounters with pirates. I usually greet them with steel and fire! What makes you think I know their names? Gods forbid, if you spend enough time with a pirate to learn his name, you are probably long dead already. Please, sit, and elaborate a bit more how I can help you, captain Taragon."

Spoiler
    Show
    No need for that roll, no libraries nearby, unfortunately
    Last edited by Norandil; 2015-01-18 at 02:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Edwin sits down, gesturing to Phillip that he should as well. "My thanks. As I said, we are looking for pirates. The waters of the Archipelago have been haunted by their kind for too long. Naval patrols of all four nations have reduced them, but to eliminate them altogether we need to understand where they operate with impunity. Have you noticed any areas where pirates are highly active?"

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Philip takes the offered seat. Thank you, gentlemen. In particular, we've heard quite a bit about some scoundrel named Jonathan Wells. My parents always said the best way to kill a snake was to take off it's head; we mean to put that saying to the test, if you follow me.

30. - Top - End - #120

RedWizardGuy

The merchant, introducing himself as Theodore, is drinking when Phillip mentions Wells, which causes him to snort mightily and spray you with wine. Both men then cackle for a while before regaining their breath. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have reacted like that. It's only because you either try to fool me, or are dense beyond comprehension! Wells? A pirate? Nonsense! If there's one man that hates pirates, it is him. So either drop this show or ditch your informer, because he doesn't know what he is talking about."

Theodore returns to his wine before adding, "You want to hunt pirates? You have my blessing. But believing you can eliminate them? That's a strech, because you will never get rid of pirates, unfortunately. Even Wells can't."