New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default A thread for the DMs: Worst players you've had

So, i've seen dozens of threads and arguments for worst experiences with tyrannical or idiot DMs/GMs (things that make me feel I'm doing a good job of not being that) but i've yet to see a thread or discussion about some of your worst players while DMing.

Other players can join it too about people they've played beside, but i'd like to get some stories from the DM perspective.

Spoiler: My first time DMing
    Show
    My first game i ran was a D20 modern, set far in the future, using a Ghost in the Shell D20 pdf i found online and ALL d20 modern material that was available to us. I had run 3 sessions before that during a round robin 3.5 game, so i had someidea of how to do it. I wasn't too familiar with the rules and was very willing to learn as i go. I was very naive as to how breakable the system was. I was also very willing to say yes, because i wanted strong players for fight my wicked-super-ultra-mega powerful/badass antagonist (he was in my mind, at least).

So there's the pretext, now for the meat:
    One of the players was the kind of guy who would almost literally read the books from cover to cover. He covered every class feature and feat and began to make this monster of a character. I didn't know the rules nearly as much as he did and he would ask almost every session if he could have something, a feat, an item, a bending of the rules to make the two work better together, or an ability not in the books. I agreed but awarded the whole party these things because i had calculated the antagonist doing over 1000 damage average (more than the parties collective hp) so i figure they need to be stronger. In the end he optimized so much he could oneshot ANYTHING and what really grind-ed my gears was he did it to someone who couldn't have known he was abusing the system (and my ignorance). But in the end, the campaign came to it's finale, they (unsurprisingly) decimated the antagonist, and we all had fun doing it.

Spoiler: I got better at DMing but still:
    Show
    So a my next campaign was a traditional d&d (well gestalt pathfinder) game and i toned down on giving things out for free. He created a drow noble rogish thing that would deeper darkness sneak attack EVERYTHING to death (with the help of items and technicalities that would allow him to do it to everything). Expert warriors: dead, Liches: dead, DRAGONS THAT ARE LIKE 8 CR HIGHER THAN HIM: DEAD. He basically could've solo'd the campaign. Even out of combat, with his items and SU & Spl abilities (most at will) he could overcome even the most difficult challenges without trying. He was literally better than the entire party combined at everything. This became a textbook example of Dm vs Player. Long story short, by the time the campaign ended all important enemies were DM fiat tailored to get around only his abilities and some encounters were designed to keep him busy with some fruitless task of stabbing an HP punching bag so the other players could actually have a challenging battle. But again the campaign ended on a good note, and the party pretty much had fun regardless.

Actually the only enemy that he had 0 hope of defeating because of his strategies was a homebrewed golem that i'm still quite proud of. You had to attack it with a physical attack then a magic attack and back and forth. Any attack that violated that pattern would be 0% effective and after 10 incorrect attacks, it would increase in size category. Needless to say with his 7 attacks a round and him being to caught up trying to sneak attack it as much as possible, they finished the battle against a gargantuan+++ golem that was literally getting ready to TPK them with a stomp. And before anyone calls unfairness: i did give them (almost literally) neon signs to inform them that this is how the golem works.

Now i've become quite good at DMing. I've learned a lot from my past mistake (and train wrecks) and am very aware of what not to do and how to handle certain situations that allows the players to do what they think is appropriate and progress the story in a very rule of cool fashion. This player has toned it down, too. I'm not naive or ignorant of the rules anymore and most of the time can tell when he stretching the rules to make his character come way out on top, so i just call him out on it and politely "refresh" him of the rules he is in clear violation of. Now i'm not really a rules lawyer, but when he's trying to make an attack on every enemy in the area for drawing a weapon, i'll politely inform him that he is wrong, it does not provoke AoOs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A thread for the DMs: Worst players you've had

As much as I love my friends, I cannot play with them. I'm the serious immersive type, and they are the non-stop hilarious shenanigans type. If I write up a serious French courtly knights game, they will start up a competition to see who can make embody the most French stereotypes and antagonize the most foreign types. It's not a wrong way to play, it's just not what I want out of gaming. So, I do not play Pathfinder with my friends anymore.

Hmm. My worst player experience is really tame, I guess.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

My worst player wasn't a bad player, he just treated another member of our group OOC like ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Worst players? Huh. Well, back in high school I had some players who would constantly lie about their dice rolls. As in they would roll the dice, pick it up and examine it super closely before anyone else could see it and declare 15+ as their roll. Probably the worst I've had, which in hindsight isn't so terrible.

Some of my current players are problematic, but that's because they're wildly different in play styles. I like to run roleplay-heavy games, and one of my players is into that. Two other players just like the mechanical aspect of building characters and doing combat. One of those two is also pretty big into optimization (Ardent / Warshaper), and the others... not as much (Binder/Sorcerer and a Warlock), and balancing encounters is a nightmare. I'm running Red Hand of Doom and I have to rebuild every single encounter in the book from scratch, or else the Ardent would just curbstomp everything.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

mine would be a player who uses barbarians but refuses to rage and wants to wear heavy armor (idk why). wants to make rogues but not use sneak attack. play as super intelligent orcs and throws a fit about their racial penalties. wants to rape every women they see in game. and thanks chaotic means you kill everything else (not even kidding). also he thinks all elves are uptight and bisexual (thanks to that freaking book or erotic fantasy)
    also he throws a fit when a bad guys beats him claiming im making his characters to weak or making the antagonist to strong. he also swears i cheat for other players when they do not fumble and even worse when they score critical hits. also...every freaking mage he picks must use all illusion spells or all enchantments and then throws a fit when creatures are immune to those (alot are...)
    also he disregards how skills work and thinks if he makes a check then they instantly work as how he wants, example, he thinks any success at diplomacy means they become instant friends and do as he wants. same actually goes for charm person. regardless of type or anything else. really brings down the game alot
    Last edited by j_spencer93; 2015-01-01 at 01:52 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't had much experience with bad players, the worst I think was a player who tried to out rules-lawyer me when he rolled a 20 to hit a creature with total concealment, he insisted that the 20 was an automatic hit, regardless of the concealment miss chance. When I declared that he still missed, he had a hissy fit and the table devolved into arguments (I was guest DMing for a group of something like 10 people, it was rediculous). It didn't even matter, because he attacked the wrong square anyway, so it didn't matter what he rolled, he would have swung at air.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

7. - Top - End - #7

So I was not the DM for this game, but a fellow player who could see the anguish this one guy was causing our DM.

The problem was that the player had far better system mastery than the DM and the rest of the group, but wasn't able to (or straight out refused to) build at the group's level.

His first character had the perfect alignment of race/traits/feats/abilities/equipment, that gave him 30 AC AT LEVEL 3-4, a +20 to hit, and could do 100 damage per hit. Ummm... We had a universalist wizard with a focus on linguistics and knowledge, a monk that could only hit 25% of the time, a Halfling barbarian, and a war priest that likes to play field medic instead of focus on damage... So this guy would always hit (roll of 2 or better) and the DM could only ever hit him on a crit. After an especially dominating encounter, he was asked to tone down his character

He came back the following week with an lunar muster oracle, that worked 100% off charisma, could still deal major damage per round between he and his extra advanced, celestial magic beast animal companion, and his lowest save at level 5 was a +19.... The GM, again couldn't touch him without critting, but he claimed he wasn't doing anything wrong since his guy was now "back line"

The GM spent 40 minutes trying to explain how ridiculous it was to consider this "toned down" before I recommended the two of them work on a build together,that the DM would find acceptable.

Apparently, over the course of the week the DM looked at 10 or so different builds, each of themore highly optimized than the previous. Finally, the DM sent me a copy of build #12, as it looked tame to him, and wanted a second pair of eyes on it.

Yeah, at first glance it looked like he had built a purposefully weak rogue... Then I saw how the pieces went together... At level 6, he could get 2d6+36+16d6 Sneak attack on a charge, with a free intimidation attempt that, due to feats/traits/abilities, would actually make the target frightened and run away (triggering another 1d6+18+8d6 damage AoO).... But if the demoralize failed, he still got a free trip attempt....

Yeah that was what he could do when NOT having his full attack available to him... Oh, and if everything hit, he would get a +24 dodge bonus to AC for the round!!!

This guy just is incapable of building an Unoptimized character....
    [CLEVER SIGNATURE] Insert Here [/CLEVER SIGNATURE]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Let's see, one player comes to mind though he was a good friend. He'd remake new characters every 5 sessions or so to try out something new. Not normally a problem but the group would pool their wealth which he'd then decimated to gear up the new character. And then do it again in a few sessions. Made characters that didn't fit for games, such as an illithiad savant CE in a campaign focused where the party was exhalted good. Just always found ways to fight the group and setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

9. - Top - End - #9

Just a weekend ago.....

Player Scrooge. So his big thing was he wanted to loot each body as he killed it, in the middle of combat, and then hide the loot. It was annoying enough that he would want to loot after doing something like a full attack, and I'd tell him he has no actions left to take that round. Then he would ignore foes, even ones right next to him, to loot on his next turn....and get all upset when he was attacked when looting. And he would want to appraise and detect magic every item as he put them away so he could ''organized his sheet''. Again I told him that doing so would take actions, but he did not think that they should.

And to top it all off, he thought the whole rest of the group should not know. His reasoning was that everyone was so ''into'' the battle that they would not notice what he was doing. Most of the other players were not happy.

And, oddly, he never even used any of that loot for anything...he just kept filling his backpack.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

They attacked everything in sight, took nothing seriously, and decided to commit suicide at level six because they were bored.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I have to say, when I first started DMing, there was an issue. I taught some of my friends how to play, and most enjoyed it and put forth the effort to learn the game. Except for one. This one put forth no effort, he wouldn't make a character so I had to (because he was too popular with the group to kick out) and every session or so he'd tell me he didn't like his character and tell me to make a new one.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

I've been at this for almost 8 years, since early high school. There have been 3 for me.
    1. A wizard who wanted to save his spells, so used a dagger and got really mad when he died. He played LG paladins in a CE campaign.
    2. Narcissist who couldn't handle other players doing things by themselves, so would try to use dominate person on other players. Constantly called other players names and refused to work as part of the team. Plus he eventually got really drunk and declared his undying love for me. No thanks.
    3. A player I actually really liked as a person, but he was so insecure. He cheated constantly- eventually I started asking everyone for their roles and recording the numbers in a table. All 6 other players, and myself, averaged 10, 11 or 12 every time. His averages were 15, 16 or 17. He would play mercenary type characters and then demand payment for his services from the party leader, til poor party leader was totally broke. I kept telling the party leader: just say no, buddy will have to either accept the no or wander off. The player would be the only one to pass spot checks in the group, but he would never tell any other players what he found. I tried to remind him that the other characters may not know what's going on, but the other players saw that he's withholding information. He would only pay attention when some part of the game was exactly up his character's alley and wouldn't help otherwise, and would take out his laptop to 'look stuff up' for his character- there was a window behind him and I could see the reflection on his screen of some RTS. Sad. I wish him better in the future.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

We had one player whose "magic" dice forced us to institute a rule requiring everyone to roll their dice on the middle of the table (somewhat awkward and frustrating when the bulk of the table is already occupied by the map, minis, and DM screen and you've got 6 people).

Another player would leer and otherwise behave in a manner that made the female players extremely uncomfortable, but seemed to have no idea he was doing it. Eventually canceled the game and then restarted it a couple weeks later without telling him; I couldn't think of a better way to handle it, and the gentle hints and such I tried to give just weren't getting through.

Probably my least favorite player though was a guy who refused to play the same game as everyone else, and who took great delight in telling the other players why their skill monkeys, debuffers, and healers were "doing it wrong". He'd pick fights with the plot hooks, loudly complain about other players whose characters refused to dig his character out of the messes he created for himself, and would commit crimes with justifications like "It's a small town, there's no way anyone here is more than 5th level, so they can't stop us from doing whatever we want". I once had a village go all Seven Samurai and hire a group that included surprisingly high level adventurers because word had got out that he might be passing through. Also, while I think that the game you have fun playing is the right game regardless, I absolutely cannot stand people who want to tell other players how to play. Helpful advice is one thing, as long as it's either sought out or gratefully accepted, but once someone's decided what they're going to do and made it clear they don't want your assistance, it's time to lay off. In some ways, the worst part was that his "superior" builds were inevitably glass cannons with soap bubble defenses, and despite being the most common casuality throughout the course of the game, he still insisted that he knew best.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxy View Post
    As much as I love my friends, I cannot play with them. I'm the serious immersive type, and they are the non-stop hilarious shenanigans type. If I write up a serious French courtly knights game, they will start up a competition to see who can make embody the most French stereotypes and antagonize the most foreign types. It's not a wrong way to play, it's just not what I want out of gaming. So, I do not play Pathfinder with my friends anymore.

Hmm. My worst player experience is really tame, I guess.
    My friend I feel your pain. One group of friends I played with briefly took to the idea of being murder hobos like a duck to water.

As soon as I brought a party containing a group of my friends together they proceeded to hit the nearest bar to get drunk and find prostitutes. One of the asked a waiter if the sold tobacco at the bar.

When the waiter informed him they did not he yelled "wrong answer" broke a beer bottle and stabbed the guy.

Hilarious and memorable and not the type of game I was hoping to run.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    My friend I feel your pain. One group of friends I played with briefly took to the idea of being murder hobos like a duck to water.

As soon as I brought a party containing a group of my friends together they proceeded to hit the nearest bar to get drunk and find prostitutes. One of the asked a waiter if the sold tobacco at the bar.

When the waiter informed him they did not he yelled "wrong answer" broke a beer bottle and stabbed the guy.

Hilarious and memorable and not the type of game I was hoping to run.
    Right up until the last sentence I thought this story was about things the actual players did, IRL. I was picturing you getting everyone together for D&D, one of your buddies suggesting you all go play at this bar he knows, and then things going downhill incredibly fast.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    Right up until the last sentence I thought this story was about things the actual players did, IRL. I was picturing you getting everyone together for D&D, one of your buddies suggesting you all go play at this bar he knows, and then things going downhill incredibly fast.

Haha yeah I guess I could have been a little more clear about that.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    I had EXACTLY the same reaction.

My worst ever player was a classic Lawful Jackass paladin. In the process of ending his tenure at my gaming table he actually attacked other players for ridiculous reasons... We haven't had a paladin in the last 15 years.
    Last edited by redwizard007; 2015-01-02 at 07:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

And I thought my groups were bad to keep giving me stories. I don't want to know about the people you two play with to even make that remotely feasible.

As for the worst player, I've known a player who:
    • Ignored the direct orders of their goddess...As a cleric.
    • Frequently ignored what the DM said at any given point
    • Insisted that they were paying attention, even after they asked 'What king?' about 2 hours into negations with said king
    • Insisted on being big on roleplaying, but seemed to do whatever it took to get loot
    • I don't think he understood that by playing in an established setting, they could not in fact invent new countries for their back story.

So yes. He was one of the worst players I've ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redwizard007 View Post
    I had EXACTLY the same reaction.

My worst ever player was a classic Lawful Jackass paladin. In the process of ending his tenure at my gaming table he actually attacked other players for ridiculous reasons... We haven't had a paladin in the last 15 years.
    Oh man. What sort of attacking did he do?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    Oh man. What sort of attacking did he do?
    In game. Not the bartender stabbing kind. If I recall correctly it was a poorly optimized charge/power attack.

I have seen the guy upend a table, drag in character arguments into real life, lie, cheat, steal, etc. Never saw him eat any kittens, but I wouldn't put it past him.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

In game. Not the bartender stabbing kind. If I recall correctly it was a poorly optimized charge/power attack.

I have seen the guy upend a table, drag in character arguments into real life, lie, cheat, steal, etc. Never saw him eat any kittens, but I wouldn't put it past him.
    Well that's not as bad I suppose. He still sounds like a turd.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My worst player was a guy who always played Wizards and continually tried to extend the characteristics of spells past their RAW descriptions. He attempted, for instance, to use Prestidigitation to create dirt under the feet of enemies (and sometimes allies) to cause them to slip and fall. He thought that
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestidigitation
    It cannot deal damage or affect the concentration of spellcasters.
    was a license to deal nondamaging status effects like prone, and to require everybody except spellcasters to make Concentration checks.

With Animate Rope he tried to make a throat-height "trip line" to cause enemies to become incapable of speech (via "nondamaging damage" ).

He attempted to apply Shatter to anything not liquid or gas (an anachronistic modern chemical definition of "solid"), rather than brittle objects, and he was incensed that he couldn't Shatter leather armor.

With Mirror Image he claimed that enemies couldn't use their brains and attempt to ignore distinguishable targets (those "walking" above the ground, for example) and that all targets must be considered indistinguishable. (Being able to distinguish potential targets/non-targets is just guessing, and isn't guaranteed to work. A smarter Wizard might have cast Mirror Image then Levitate, and appeared to be an ignorable figment by pantomiming walking mid-air.)

He tried lots of Explosive Runes shenanigans, like claiming to be able to read the Runes while not adjacent to them, and saying he could auto-fail (rather than auto-succeed) on Dispel Magic checks vs. his own spells.

With Reduce Item he kept expecting to be able to (1) throw the item and immediately use a (standard action) command word to cause it to expand in the air; (2) make it cease forward movement and drop straight down; and (3) auto-hit whatever was under it (rather than needing an attack roll to hit the square, and having a Reflex save for the character in that square, as per the rules).

When he got high enough level to cast Telekinesis he thought that
    • greatswords would use their melee damage statistics when used as improvised ranged weapons (rather than the weight formula supplied in the spell for items which aren't hurled weapons);
    • he would be granted weapon proficiency with whatever he hurled; and
    • hurled weapons wouldn't be subject to range penalties.

Wizards already get the greatest amount of power in the game by having full access to the biggest spell list. This player wanted an button as well.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    My worst player was a guy who always played Wizards and continually tried to extend the characteristics of spells past their RAW descriptions. He attempted, for instance, to use Prestidigitation to create dirt under the feet of enemies (and sometimes allies) to cause them to slip and fall. He thought that was a license to deal nondamaging status effects like prone, and to require everybody except spellcasters to make Concentration checks.

With Animate Rope he tried to make a throat-height "trip line" to cause enemies to become incapable of speech (via "nondamaging damage" ).

He attempted to apply Shatter to anything not liquid or gas (an anachronistic modern chemical definition of "solid"), rather than brittle objects, and he was incensed that he couldn't Shatter leather armor.

With Mirror Image he claimed that enemies couldn't use their brains and attempt to ignore distinguishable targets (those "walking" above the ground, for example) and that all targets must be considered indistinguishable. (Being able to distinguish potential targets/non-targets is just guessing, and isn't guaranteed to work. A smarter Wizard might have cast Mirror Image then Levitate, and appeared to be an ignorable figment by pantomiming walking mid-air.)

He tried lots of Explosive Runes shenanigans, like claiming to be able to read the Runes while not adjacent to them, and saying he could auto-fail (rather than auto-succeed) on Dispel Magic checks vs. his own spells.

With Reduce Item he kept expecting to be able to (1) throw the item and immediately use a (standard action) command word to cause it to expand in the air; (2) make it cease forward movement and drop straight down; and (3) auto-hit whatever was under it (rather than needing an attack roll to hit the square, and having a Reflex save for the character in that square, as per the rules).

When he got high enough level to cast Telekinesis he thought that
    • greatswords would use their melee damage statistics when used as improvised ranged weapons (rather than the weight formula supplied in the spell for items which aren't hurled weapons);
    • he would be granted weapon proficiency with whatever he hurled; and
    • hurled weapons wouldn't be subject to range penalties.

Wizards already get the greatest amount of power in the game by having full access to the biggest spell list. This player wanted an button as well.
    sounds like he was just trying to be creative, which you weren't taking very well.

And I'm pretty sure he was right about about telekinesis and how it interacted with weapons.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

In the process of ending his tenure at my gaming table he actually attacked other players for ridiculous reasons...
    For a while I thought he'd attacked IRL

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    sounds like he was just trying to be creative, which you weren't taking very well.
    Is this one of those 'DM hits player over the head with the book' situations? I see that term whenever someone comes up with a perfectly-by-the-rules OP build.

Some of the examples are pretty bad/OP, tbh.
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-01-03 at 03:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

I have two.

1) A player that bitches whenever anything bad happens to him. IE, while in a dungeon like area he walks into a dark room without looking and gets surprise attacked then bitches about it.

2) My first time DMing I had a player playing a rogue. A NPC used a scroll and the guy playing the rogue stopped the game and demanded to know what the spell was (note he refused to wait until the wizard did a spell craft check). When I explained to him that he's a rogue and wouldn't know what it was if it were a fireball were flying at his face. He later stopped the game and argued with me, eventually causing me to lose my **** something I greatly regret afterwards, when we had a guy playing a monk that we decided was a follower of Desna. The monks were a traveling band of monks so the player and I decided having them pay honor to Desna made sense with his backstory. The problem player argued and argued that no monk would EVER follow a non-lawful deity. I explained to him that monks aren't tied to a deities alignment in any way it was simply a small part of the players backstory. But this guy went on and on finally I had enough and lost my crap on him. It almost broke the group up. I felt bad about it and looking back I know I handled it wrong but the guy had been a problem brewing for a long time. Now the group has been going for about a year and things are good.

Then again I probably should have known when a player openly brags about "fing with the DM being the best part of the game" that he would be an issue.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

1. A player wanted to flirt with "the best looking woman in the bar" in hopes to have sex with her in his room. He expected me to tell him their Cha score without telling him their Cha score, but he was never satisfied with my description of how "hot" she was. If I said she was a "ten", he would argue with me about what kind of a "ten" she was, "Does that mean she has around an 18 Cha, a 22 Cha, or more like a 30 Cha?" When I told him I wouldn't metagame by giving the actual score, but instead I explained again that she's the best looking woman in the tavern and definitely "hot", he still wasn't satisfied with that.

This went on for 30 minutes until I realized how annoying and pathetic this was and I got mad and just told him, "You find a woman that has at least a 30 Cha, she agrees to go to your room, you guys have sex, and now can we move on with the game?" I couldn't believe he got me wrapped up in that.

2. I interviewed one player as a potential new player to the group. Within 10 minutes of meeting him at Starbucks, this guy would ask for my opinion about a rule and then argued the rules with me, and I didn't even know him. It wasn't a friendly debate, the guy was arguing with me like we knew each other and were in the middle of playing a heated game. I was baffled. I interview new players because we game at my house and I'm not about to let a weirdo into my home much less game with him. I understand others also want to meet me to make sure I'm not a weirdo DM, but this guy had an attitude like he was interviewing me to make sure I was worthy enough to DM him & not to make sure I was a good guy. He acted like he would be doing me a favor if he made a presence at our table. My wife was with us (she plays in our game) and as soon as we walked out of Starbucks, she said, "OMG, he is definitely not playing with us!"

It turned out that the guys was actually the DM to a new player of ours at the time (who is still gaming with us to this day 7 or so years later). They didn't know they both were meeting me until I told the guy that I would not be allowing him into the game. The new player told me all kinds of horror stories about him as a DM, and that yes, he actually was interviewing me to make sure I was a DM that would be worthy enough to DM him.

3. I had a player claiming to be new to D&D join the group. I told him I do not allow powergaming which he said he understood. He made a Divination Wizard that was a copy/paste from any Wizard guide build you'd find online. There was no deviation, even down to his spell selection. He chose the most powergamed options and every time I questioned him, he swore that he was not using these build guides. He said he's just good at picking good options. He was so good at it that he would even request the most obscure alternate feature, flaw, PrC, magic item, or whatever else that is known to overpower an already overpowered class.

I remember being new to the rules, and I've played with dozens of new players. It is impossible for a new player that is not using a build guide to not pick at least one spell that is not known to be an optimized spell to pick. I had to question him at every level and he always swore he was not using a guide to pick his options. Even the other players knew he was full of crap.

I've got dozens of stories like these that I could write about. Some other highlights are:

a. A female problem player that ranted about me online and called me sexist (my wife was pissed about that one). She was so argumentative that when my wife once politely asked her not to argue during the game, she responded saying that she encourages arguing during a game when she DMs.

b. The guy with the hairy belly that kept lifting his shirt and rubbing his stomach as he would stand over everyone while deciding where to move his miniature. This guy had all kinds of issues and annoying habits.

c. The guy that had an alpha dog complex and hated playing with me so much to the point that when I asked him if he wanted to do a rescue mission to save fellow party members from dying, he agreed, and the DM told me that he complained about me after the game (again) because I attempted to rescue them. The other PCs were dying, it was a hard encounter, we were unsuccessful with our rescue attempt, but him and I still got away unharmed since we were both smart & tactical players. I didn't want to put him in danger if he wasn't ok with it, which is why I asked him if we should attempt the rescue.
    Last edited by Oryan77; 2015-01-03 at 10:08 PM.
    Visit my Downloads section for my D&D 3.5 resources (DM screen, PC & NPC sheets, Reference sheets, etc, etc)

I will buy your unwanted D&D minis collection (DDM & PF Battles only). Email me your asking price!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post

And I'm pretty sure he was right about about telekinesis and how it interacted with weapons.
    He was mostly wrong. Not sure about telekinesis. He's not that creative because almost every trick was pulled from forums. Maybe the prestidigitation tricks were too and I haven't seen it before, but I've seen the rest.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wow, reading through some of these make my bad players not seem so bad anymore. I have had several.
    I had a player that was on pain pills because of an injury that didnt think about the effects of alcohol on said pain pills. I thought we were going to have to drive him to the hospital for a little bit.
    I had a player that wanted to try a different class at every game, so near the end of every game session would commit suicide in one fashion or another, usually in a very game interrupting way such as attacking plot NPCs.
    I had players that thought personal hygiene wasn't a thing the people sitting next to him cared about. I was sad, because he was a fantastic role player, but the other players couldn't handle his smell.
    I have had a couple of people that would cheat on dice rolls. One in particular was constantly getting rolls of 15+ until one game session when I asked everyone to roll in the middle of the table. All of a sudden their dice were unlucky. That same player always wanted to use classes/feats/spells from obscure sources that they found online. When I would tell them that we are using only the rules that we have books for, they would download a book and try and use it. They got upset when I said no to that.

29. - Top - End - #29

I never played with the guy, but just talking about potentially playing with him really bugged me. He insisted on pronouncing words wrong, like necromancer was NEEK-romancer to him. I just couldn't move past that.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrMotives View Post
    I never played with the guy, but just talking about potentially playing with him really bugged me. He insisted on pronouncing words wrong, like necromancer was NEEK-romancer to him. I just couldn't move past that.
    To be fair, I sometimes can't help but mispronounce certain words. For instance, I consistently refer to antibiotics as an-t-ib-e-otics.