New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 34 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default The Necromancer IC

The rain continues. It's been a couple of days already - not of continous downpour, but of steady, heavy squalls broken by sunshine. You've made a few forays outside, but the terrain remains impassable.

You came here on foot, leaving the horses behind when the terrain became too rugged, and made too treacherous by the rain. You pressed on hard, taking a few calculated risks, hoping that the hard going would deter pursuit. You have picked a valley at random, among many, the rain has deleted all tracks, and the terrain is actively dangerous to travel. As such, you feel safe for the moment.

It's raining again, and you've lit a small fire for the night, in the mouth of the cave. The cave is not too large, going maybe twenty meters deep, but it has a couple of small side chambers. You're a little surprised it shows no signs of previous occupation, neither by men or animals. More surprising, however, is the pillar.

It's just sort of there. To the back of the deepest side chamber - a marble pillar, with a long crack diagonally down it's length, carved with some sort of runic writing that's all but worn away. In front of it is a small, cold pool of dark water. There is absolutely no telling how or why it got to be there.

Spoiler: And so it begins
    Show

You may take whatever actions you please, introduce yourselves if you feel the need, look around and so on. Events shall progress in short order.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer IC

As soon as the fire is lit, Thanat crumbles on the floor's cave, exhausted, sitting and staring in silence towards the flames for a long while, almost folded into himself. He has every reason to be in this sorry state, he broods. However, he is not broken, not quite yet.

"Thank you" he says eventually, addressing the only other person around. He does not know the man's name. "Had I been on my own, I would never have made it. In fact, I would never have tried in the first place: you see, I had given up already. But you had not, and that set us both free. So, again" finished Thanat, raising with effort from the stone floor and bowing deeply to the man in front of him "thank you."

Thanat seems to have said his piece, but then adds hurriedly "Oh, right! By the way, my name is Thanat, and I am a wizard."

[...]

Two day have passed since they entered and explored the cave. Thanat has used a little of that time studying the strange pillar in the side room. While not a sage by trade, he considers himself a learned man, and with little better to do he has tried to see if there is anything to be gained from it. They all have heard the stories of great treasures hidden in the wilds, after all...

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    DecipherScript - (1d20+4)[23], Arcana - (1d20+7)[15], Religion - (1d20+7)[11], Spellcraft - (1d20+7)[13]
    Not sure if any of these might help...
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    As soon as the fire is lit, Thanat crumbles on the floor's cave, exhausted, sitting and staring in silence towards the flames for a long while, almost folded into himself. He has every reason to be in this sorry state, he broods. However, he is not broken, not quite yet.

"Thank you" he says eventually, addressing the only other person around. He does not know the man's name. "Had I been on my own, I would never have made it. In fact, I would never have tried in the first place: you see, I had given up already. But you had not, and that set us both free. So, again" finished Thanat, raising with effort from the stone floor and bowing deeply to the man in front of him "thank you."

Thanat seems to have said his piece, but then adds hurriedly "Oh, right! By the way, my name is Thanat, and I am a wizard."

[...]

Two day have passed since they entered and explored the cave. Thanat has used a little of that time studying the strange pillar in the side room. While not a sage by trade, he considers himself a learned man, and with little better to do he has tried to see if there is anything to be gained from it. They all have heard the stories of great treasures hidden in the wilds, after all...

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    [roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3]
    Not sure if any of these might help...
    Hands gently tracing the carvings, Thanat mumbles to himself as he studies the pillar.

'... not religious in nature. No actual spell runes.'

'... although these geometric shapes seem to hint at something arcane. Lines of force, and ...'

'This part is almost like ... the ancient Etruvian tongue. If so, this could mean "Speaker", and that, "To Rest".

'... "Year Of The" .... what, scorpion lion? Lion scorpion?'

Spoiler: Results
    Show

As I hope is obvious, you learn fairly little. You feel you can rule out any religious connection, and there are no actual magical glyphs on the pillar. The context hints at something magical though, but even with a near perfect Decipher Script roll, all you get are glimmerings. However .... the Etruvian Dominion is a thousand years in the grave, and at best, this language is far older.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

No other actions from either for now?

Updating first thing tomorrow. So you have just a breath of time before .... well, just before.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-01-07 at 02:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Zheng takes a spot by the fire, inwardly exhausted but easily capable of keeping that exhaustion to himself. He knew little of the man he had fled with, but he knew enough to see a man who needed help.
    "Your thanks is not needed, Thanat. I did what any man would have done, I helped." He smiles and holds his hands to the fire "You looked like you needed it." Breathing for a moment he re-center's himself, "As you gave me your name, my own is Zheng. Envoy of the Raven Queen."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

As you both look around the cave, engaged in light conversation, you're both startled by a strong 'flap!' noise from the entrance. You look up in time to see a man beat the worst of the rain out of his cloak, and hang in on the rocks by the fire. Clad in full plate, embossed and inlaid with gold and silver, he has a tripple crest on his chest: The church, the King and some regional family coat you fail to recognize.

"Good evening to you gentlemen - in case you fail to recall, I am Ardvil Clavourne. I have come, of course, to bring you in. I ask that you don't make this any harder for all of us than it has to be. You can come honorably - or force me to bring you in, as the poster reads, 'dead or alive', og any variation between the two."

His weapons remain sheathed, but his gauntlets look menacing enough. He radiates supreme confidence - that there are two of you seems to make little difference to him.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

This is in 'story telling mode'. No rolls for initiative yet - though you're welcome to react as you please. Just be warned that ... for now, he's not vulnerable in any meaningful way. I know that's considered rail roading, but bear with me - it's not for very long at all, and all for a purpose.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-01-08 at 09:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanat exits the pillar room and his spirit sinks at the sight of the man. He does not attack right away, but exchanges a questioning look with Zhang. What do we do now? he asks himself.
    "Right. We were waiting for the rain to lighten up. How about you do the same as we discuss this?" he tries, as a way to fill the silence in the meantime.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Ardvil looks out of the cave entrance at the pouring rain.

"I have no hurry to be off - but make no mistake: I have no interest in the question of your guilt or innocense. I serve the law, and the law requires you to stand trial. This I shall see done.

You know - you very nearly made it off? We were twenty men: Constabulary, guardsmen, the sherifs outriders, and myself. Everyone else gave up. The rain, the terrain, the distance from hearth and loved ones.

But I'm not like those men. I will see justice done, and the comforts of home have worth to me only when my job is done.
    "

There is pride in his voice, and steel in his eyes.

9. - Top - End - #9

AssassinGuy

Zheng stood, his eye catching those of Thanat, a mirrored expression on his face. Holding his hand's up in a gesture of peace he took a step closer.
    "Greetings Ser Clavourne, I am Zheng, Envoy of the Raven Queen." No point in trying to lie here, the rains almost seemed fortuitous now.
    "Pray, come to the fire, armor and rain mix well rarely. As you say, the comforts of home may keep for some, but those such as us will seek what comforts we can." He gestures once more with an open palm to the flames, "I seek no conflict here, 'tis not my way. Nor that of the man I stand beside."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

"Indeed" remarks Thanat "though it made little difference in the end"

"As for me, I'll be looking over that thing. I am convinced it is more than mere decor. Call it a dying man last hope, if you wish"
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-01-10 at 11:53 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Ardvil removes two sets of manacles from his pack - drops them on the ground.

No objections to doing this without conflict. And by all means - lets eat and enjoy the fire. But on the morrow, we start the return trip to Madripor.

Show

What thing is Thanat going over - the pillar? Go ahead. Gimme rolls, or questions, or ... what comes to mind.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanat sighs, half resigned. While he has no intention of harming the man, he is not quite sure he'll just go back meekly to the slaughter...
    He returns to the small chamber where the pillar is and cast a spell: DETECT MAGIC. He concentrates, thinking that if nothing comes up he will do the same toward their would-be captor: it would not be unthinkable for the man to have magical aids.
    Show
    Well, the one question is: what do you mean railroad? If have a particular path you wish us to take, please do let us know.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Spoiler: Results
    Show

The pillar is not magical in any way. That, however, does not necessarily mean it never was.

You turn, and scan Ardvil. He has several magical auras. Mind, this is E6. All magic is powerful. Regardless, most of the auras are relatively weak when compared to that of his sword.

The railroading I speak of is this: Eventually, you will either fight him, or return to Madripor in chains. Either option is open. And rail roading will be a thing until I call for initiative. Don't worry, though =)

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

Zheng retakes his position by the fire, mind racing with ideas of escape. But the obvious came first.
    "I am glad to hear... Pray tell Ser Clavourne, what exactly are our crimes? What have you been told of us?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

I know not your crimes, Master Zheng - I know of which you stand accused. Two counts of murder. The question of guilt is not for me to decide. I have merely been tasked with bringing you to court, and that is what I intend.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

The pillar's lack of auras is disheartening but far from unexpected. The opposite is true for Ardvil: the man must be carrying around more magic items than some magical emporiums...
    "I do not know what my fellow escapee stands accused of, but I was a magistrate and I know enough of my colleagues and my fellow citizens not to expect any justice to be doled out on my behalf..." says Thanat wearily.
    Without hurry, he reaches down and dips a cupped hand in the pool at the front of the pillar. His alchemy trainers made it clear it is never a safe practice to do so, but he tries a sip: maybe some of the pillar's magic, if ever there was any, has seeped down into the pool...

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

The water is slightly metallic in taste, propably from a natural metal content in the rocks. It seems to do nothing in particular for you.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

With another sigh, Thanat returns to his things. e takes a small piece of paper and scribbles a note: "If you ever feel like trying to escape this man, or fight him, give me a sign: I will stand by your decision, for i am too mentally exhausted to take any kind of initiative".
    H gives the note to Zhang, then goes to sit somewhere else in the cave, waiting for the rain to stop or for something else to happen.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-01-13 at 03:55 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

The barest sliver of a whisper - heard only by Thanat:

I can help. There is precious little here for me to work with - but I can try. If you will but allow me?

20. - Top - End - #20

AssassinGuy

Zheng sighs upon hearing the "bounty-hunter's" words, frustration noticeable. "I understand, but neither of us have taken a life. What proof is held to warrant our arrest?" He meets Clavourne's eye as he speaks, showing as little hostility as possible. He takes the note and brings it to eye level, quickly reading before blowing his nose in it.
    "Thank you milord." he mutters glancing at Thanat, his eyes flashing to his hand which makes a quick negating motion.
    "Ser Clavourne, if the law means I must return then I will do so. But know this man has committed no crime."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Master Zheng - this warrant for your arrest is all the proof required ... for your arrest. What proof there may be of your crimes is another matter, that is for the court. For now, know simply that it is my duty and my intention to return you to Madripor.

He shows you the warrant he holds, to lend additional weight to his words.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Still lying propped against the cave wall, Thanat replies: "So you will wash your hands of our fate, even though you might have given us a chance at Justice? Let me warn you: those who look too closely at the letter of the Law often miss its true intent.
    But I feel there is no point in arguing about this any further: clearly our positions will never converge. More importantly, you are much better equipped to drive your point home than we are.

I will only add this: I seek Justice for the munder of my family. I would do anything in my power, I would strike any bargain and go to any length, to be granted my wish."

Show
    Obviously, I am also answering the voice with my last sentence.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Your chance at justice is in the hands of the court of Madripor. Justice cannot be held separate from law. And the law demands you stand trial - to be sentenced or aquitted.

Also, law cannot have intent. Law is law. It simply is.

And as he speaks ...

So little to work with. The spirits are weak, broken, fading things - but maybe ... yes, how about this ......

There is a buzzing, barely heard. A thin mist seems to veil the floor. These things are only just inside the margins of being noticable - Ardvil seems to miss them completely, his attention focussed on you guys.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-01-14 at 07:40 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"But that is not true. Law is a construct of our society, it is flawed as the men who made it and is constantly changing and evolving to suit the needs of the moment. Every law that has ever been made was thought with a purpose in mind, with a varying degree of specificity. And, sometimes, it is simply inadequate." responds, Thanat, trying to keep the man's attention occupied. He does not know what is going on, and he watches intently, hoping for a clue. He risks a glance at Zhang to see if he is seeing that mist forming as well. "That is why men should ever be vigilant that the moral Law should not be trumped by the written one."
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-01-15 at 06:21 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

The law is perfect in form, in principle. Law brings order to what would otherwise be chaos. Law gives us all directions to live by, it helps us guide our lives, it gives us direction, and security, and certainty. It is not the aim or intent of the law that makes it perfect - it is it's very function: To give direction where before there was none.

Ardvil speaks with conviction. He has no doubt. You even feel it, yourselves - this mans deep rooted belief that without laws, we'd all be lost. Headless chickens, running around at random.

In time, I shall gather the host at your side, Lord - but for now, this is all I can do.

As the unseen speaker finishes, they gather. In the way they swarm and buzz and fly to and fro seemingly at random, they are like locusts. In every other way ... well, they are the broken shards of souls, they are random memories of loss and despair, of pain and suffering, of longing and regret. Each tiny sliver of darkness that erupts from the ground is a single painful experience or recollection of some poor soul long dead and forgotten.

They are without number. They are terrible in their utter hunger, their focus. They tear into Ardvil, and Ardvil screams, the wailing, incoherent screams of one whose fear is equal to his sanity.

Spoiler: Stuff
    Show

Roll initiative.

Ardvil: (1d20+2)[10]

26. - Top - End - #26

AssassinGuy

(Sorry hellish week so far)

Spoiler
    Show
    initiative (1d20+5)[12]

Zhang springs from the ground, putting himself between whatever arises and Thanat.

"By the Queen!" is all he manages, shock taking presidence over thought.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+5)[6]

"This is our chance!" says Thanat, looking with a mixture of horror and fascination at what is happening.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-01-16 at 01:25 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Zheng goes first.

He's called Zheng, right? Wasn't he called Zheng last I checked?!

29. - Top - End - #29

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Name
    Show
    It is indeed Zheng

"What's going on!" He turns his head to Thanat, "Run Milord!" his eye's dart back to the bounty hunter and internally he curses as he leaps forward to grab the man, no-one deserved the fate he was to receive.

Spoiler: Rolls?
    Show
    What roll should I make?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Spoiler: ...
    Show
    What result are you looking for?