New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Banned

Default Re: The Necromancer IC

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

The stationary thing, which is a ring of fire, is what I've also referred to as The Flaming Dead. Your plan seems to indicate that it moves with you. It does not. Which is why I thought I should point it out now rather than later.

Or am I misunderstanding you?! =D

Wait, no - I get it now. You're talking about two different things altogether.

With the tall grass, hundreds of noisy gnolls, the increasing darkness and so on - you needn't roll anything just yet. Tell me what you want to do, and I'll tell you when rolling gets relevant. But you can sneak up on the druid pretty close, without risk.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-05-19 at 11:49 AM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I plan to use a couple of scrolls before the fight, namely Mage Armor and Magic Shield, in order not to be completely open to attacks. My idea is to get behind the druid unnoticed, incapacitate her (spells, the web vial maybe), hit her with all we have, and then get out as fast as possible. If we get attacked before we've finished the job, I plan to do ring of fire + possibly smoke bomb + pushing people out and stay defensive. After the druid is dead, if we are in trouble I plan to either charm a chieftain or create an illusion of a Gnoll-like spirit to turn the gnolls against each other. Sounds easy enough, but I have a feeling it might not go so smoothly....
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #363
    Banned

Show

As Felidae said: Solid! *thumbs up*

Go for it. It's just one druid (and his 300 gnoll buddies) - you can totally do this =)

If you want to sneak up super close, you'll need rolls. Otherwise, something on the order of 30 feet requires nothing. She's busy, and there's lots of noise.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    30 ft is perfect, then.
    Before the final approach, Thant passes the web-like vial to Felidae. He will open the fight with a sleep spell. If that does not work, she's to be ready to toss the vial at the druid.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #365
    Banned

Show

I'd allow Thanat a roll to try and guage the power (as in, character level) of the druid. Arcane, religion, even intelligence. Though the dc would be best for religion, I guess Thanat doesn't have that =)

Edit: Oh ... he does.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-05-20 at 05:09 AM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Religion - (1d20+9)[27] He does have ranks in religion. Why is that? Beats me. i must have been drunk at the time.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #367
    Banned

Show

Lots of ranks, even. But hey, turns out it might come in handy.

So ... Thanat is, shall we say, a clever guy. And he's surprisingly knowledgable about religion. So he has made two important observations.

One, that tree/lady companion can't be standard. Druids have like, badgers and wolves as companions. Every druid you ever heard of.
    Two, you have observed some inconsistency. You have seen a number of animals around the druids - plus the tree/lady. It doesn't add up. Either they have too many companions - or one of them has the ability to wild shape.

In practical terms, that means Thanat is pretty convinced Sleep isn't going to cut it - not vs the druid. For which reason you can memorize something else, if you wish.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Good thing Thanat is so knowledgeable, or I would be screwed.

Ok, so I'll throw the vial, and hope Felidae can get a couple ranged sneak attacks in at the beginning of the fight.
    As for the spell, I'll exchange it with... uhm... grease? Yeah, let's go with that.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #369
    Banned

Show

Grease is ... fine. I guess. There's the wildshape thing, but ... you know. Grease is fine.

=)

This is what I think: A wildshaped druid can go through Thanat in short order. I feel your plan should take into consideration that you really don't want melee range here. Other than that, I really think you'll be fine. Just ... don't allow someone with 3 attacks pr round to close with you. That wont end well =)

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Right. Then, uhm, ray of enfeeblement? Better?
    I thought grease could be used in case of a grapple or to prevent a charge, but I you made me realize it would have been less than practical...

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #371
    Banned

Show

Ray of enfeeblement is ... actually rather decent. It would be more of a help if the druid was wearing lots of heavy armor tho.

Grease, honestly, is also fine. It's definitely not useless - but the thing is that our druid is quite likely to wildshape into something with four legs. And that gives you a handsome bonus to resist the grease. Which makes no difference. I was SO SURE there was a bonus to resist.

Well I'll be buggered then.

Anyways, the best choices for level 2 are likely grease or ray of enfeeblement. Mirror image would help too. Or invisibility.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I'm level two*, I can't prepare II level spells like mirror image and invisibility yet. Do take that into account.

*or am I? DUN DUND DUN

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #373
    Banned

Show

I was really tired yesterday. What you should really take away from that post is primarily that I thought have multiple legs made you less susceptible to grease. I really hope that was the case in some earlier version, because otherwise I just made that up myself.

Anyways. Lets get on with it. Charge, already! =D

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanat 'prowls' with Felidae towards their target. He has a few vials strapped on his belt for easy access, but he hopes his companion's weapons will do most of the work. He takes aim and throws his opening shot: Vardis' special web-like brew.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+5)[18], TouchAttack - (1d20+2)[11] (just in case it is needed)

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #375
    Banned

Show

It is. Thankfully, you don't actually need to hit the druid - close is close enough. But in general, give stuff like that to Felidae, her ranged base attack beats the crap out of Thanats. If I remember correctly.

Now, Felidae is watching Thanat closely. Her plan is to shoot just before Thanat does anything. I'm going to give her a dc of 10. And ... lets say she rolls spot, to read when you're going for it.

Rolls:
    Spot: (1d20+3)[17]
    Attack: (1d20+2)[17] - (1d20+2)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7] - (1d6+1)[4] both are sneak attacks, so damage is x2.

The druids touch ac is 12 - but! I've forgotten to add Felidae's point blank shot, for another +1. That's two hits, for 22 points of damage. Even a big scary druid finds that uncomfortable.

Just as Thanat is taking aim with the web potion, Felidae pops up out of the darkness, bow at the ready.

Warm greetings from the township of Mountainshade, your tree-hugginess! With that, she puts two arrows in the druid, at close range. The druid, completely taken off guard, only has time to snarl in pain and turn on Felidae, before Thanats potion shatters, and drenches the entire area in sticky webs.

Initiative, please.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-05-22 at 11:58 AM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Initiative for Thanat is 18 (I rolled in my last post). I can't really roll for anyone else...
    Also, don't forget that the druid is probably flat-footed (loses dex AC) until she acts in combat. Every bit counts.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #377
    Banned

Show

Oh. You did? So you did!

Felidae's initiative is one faster than yours. Because she's clever like that. That leaves only the druid, and her actions will be the same whether she wins or loses. Or course, potentially, she may never get to act - if Felidae gets a double crit before the druids initiative, this will be the least dramatic boss fight in living memory.

So anyways: Initiative (1d20+6)[13]

See - now I did it wrong anyways. I need actions from you, and rolls for Felidae. Post yours, and I'll fix. Worst case scenario (the double crit), and I'll strike out this post.

The druid quickly quaffs a potion, then transforms with the fluidity of smoke and water from human into some large feline the likes of which Thanat has never seen - though potentially he will have read of lions. That done, she starts tearing her way through the webs.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-05-24 at 04:08 AM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanat quickly mutters a brief incantation, then takes aim with his hand, thumb upward and index finger extended, and shoots a ray at the druid. Hopefully that will make it harder for her to get out of the sticky situation she's in, and will give enough time to Felidae to turn her into a pin cushion. It's a big, stationary target covered in goo: how hard can it be?
    Despair, calls Thanat, come to us. And Herald, distract her.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Ray of Enfeeblement: Touch - (1d20+2)[4], StrDmg - (1d6+1)[5]
    I'd rather have Despair to the side so that he does not provide cover. Ideally, it should be summoned after Felidae shots, and only if the druid is still standing. Charges should be impossible from the web anyway. I hope
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-05-24 at 05:24 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #379
    Banned

Show

Catching up on stuff that should have been done. Like, a save for the web, and stuff.

Reflex save: (1d20+3)[6] vs dc 15
    Then, an escape artist roll (1d20+5)[23] vs. 20 - if needed
    Then, a strengh check to see how far she can move: (1d20+3)[23]

She has bonuses to all of this based on the fact that the Web spell has no real anchor points - by the description, it needs at least two. Felidae can still sneak attack - but the web now provides cover. So:

Attack: (1d20+5)[18] - (1d20+5)[24] vs ac 16
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7] - (1d6+1)[4] both x2 for sneak attack

Furthermore, Ardvil pops in beside her:
    Attack: (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage: (1d12+5)[13]

I think that's all the rolls rolled for now. Actually, after all the above, it's her turn again - but she's somewhat unlikely to get to roll anything. Lets see.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    So to recap:
    1. Surprise round: sneak attack volley by F, goo vial by T.
    ? potion? wild shape? <- this one never happened, right?
    2. Round one: second sneak attack volley by F, missed ray from T, A pops in and attacks, the druid breaks free and moves (does she? does she provoke an AoO? does she have cover?)
    3. RIGHT NOW

Let me know if that's correct

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #381
    Banned

Show

You have the right of it, except for one thing, that I was working on, then got disturbed: Crit confirmation.

Crit Y/N?: (1d20+5)[18] vs 16. A crit will make the druid a very sad camper - but still alive. Needed two to actually kill her this round.

I'm going to rule that Ardvil does not get an AoO this round. The reason being that .... while he acts on your initiative, and on being summoned, he needs like a split moment to orient himself after suddenly manifesting? He gets to do just one thing on his first round.

Then the druid moves 15 feet. Ardvil will have to roll to pursue - but naturally, he too will have a bonus for the only partial anchoring.

Also, I wanted to add some fluff description to my above post, but you got here first =)

The druid is harried pretty hard. One moment she's preparing to lead an army of gnolls as the invade the town of Mountainshade - the next she's ambushed, arrows rain down on her, she's trapped in a web, assaulted by magic, an undead knight appears out of nowhere to strike her down ... it's just not her day.

But she has tricks of her own. She drinks a potion, transforms into a shape suited for shredding mages, and weaves her way through the clingy strands as best she can. The agility of the cat shape aids her, and she's all but in reach of the human wizard.

You are prey, little human, she thinks to herself.

At the same time, Thanat notices a sapling beside him - a young, strong tree. Was that there a moment ago? Is it ... growing?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Not so fast, thinks Thanat as the Druid charges him with obvious murderous intent. The tree, that he had not anticipated. Or rather, he had not anticipated sneaking on him. How is that even possible!
    "VANGUARD, push her back" he yells. That should put her back within Despair's reach. Hopefully. As for himself, he steps away both from the druid and the growing tree. He takes a vial, the fire bomb this time, and throws it at the wooden creature saying "Sorry!". When this is all over, he should work on his battle cries.
    Show
    Fire vial: Touch - (1d20+2)[13]. Damage - (1d6)[3]. If hit, it catches on fire.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-05-24 at 10:08 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

23. - Top - End - #383
    Banned

The Vanguard appears as summoned, charging into the druid, and push her back. However, in this particular case, they too are hindered by the Web. They push her back 5 feet, then dissipate - though not before doing damage.

Spoiler
    Show

How much did I say they do?!

Damage: (1d8+3)[11]

Then, Felidae and Despair do their best to follow up. The druids AC isn't quite as bad any more though, and Ardvil needs a str check to move. So lets see.

Ardvil:
    Str: (1d20+4)[13]
    If he gets over 15, he closes into melee range. Then:
    Attack: (1d20+7)[27] vs ac 18.
    Damage: (1d12+5)[14]

Felidae:
    Attack: (1d20+4)[21] - (1d20+4)[20]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5] - (1d6+1)[7] - no flanking means no sneak attack.

It's rather unlikely the druid is still alive after all that. But lets see.

Felidae continues to pepper the druid with arrows, the Vanguard rush into her spears first - the druid tries her best to press on, snarling, clawing at the webs. But the onslaught is more than she can resist. The big cougar falls, and lies still.

Meanwhile, Thanat douses the sapling generously in greek fire. Flames flare up, enveloping it. But counter to expectation, it seems to withdraw ... reversing it's growth, shrinking back into the earth.

The battle is won. For now. The charge of the gnolls is starting. You can see their great mass assembled a few hundred feet away - they are moving away from you, towards the walls of the town.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-05-24 at 10:35 AM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

"Awww, bollocks." comments Thanat without humor as all immediate threats are dealt with, and the bigger issue becomes finally apparent: the invasion is still happening. "Get the druid's stuff" he tells Felidae as he runs to where the druid was working. Was this some sort of ritual? More importantly, can it be reversed? He activates magic detection, hoping for a clue.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Uhm, I'm thinking of rolling spot, then Spellcraft and/or a Knowledge check. Thoughts?
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-05-24 at 10:53 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

25. - Top - End - #385
    Banned

Show

Good idea. Go for all of them. That's what I do =D

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rollin
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+4)[12], Spellcraft - (1d20+11)[21], Arcana - (1d20+9)[25], Religion - (1d20+9)[19], Nature - (1d20+5)[6]

As Thanat eyes dart around for clues, his mind darts around for possible interpretations of what he's seeing. Is what was going on here even relevant?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

27. - Top - End - #387
    Banned

While Felidae examines the druids corpse for loot, Thanat tries to discern what she was doing. In part, she was putting down some totems. It's pretty clear to Thanat that these are meant to strengthen summons. But she was doing something else too, which seems far more mysterious. A complicated ritual the meaning of which it would take all night to figure out - possibly an activity better suited for after the battle.

Meanwhile, Felidae discovers that the druid has a rather nice set of hardened leather, reinforced with carved scales in wood and stone. It's light, durable and strong. She also finds a fiercely fanged ring, carved from ivory or bone. There is also a small charm on a chain around her neck - it's a simple thing, a wooden carving of a winged lion, but the wood is rich in color, and the workmanship is exquisite. She finds nothing further.

Show

And it's all magical. A MW hardened leather armor +1, a ring that adds +1 to hit and damage (which also applies in wild shape), and a periapt of wisdom +2.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

"Bollocks!" grunts Thanat once more, stymied by the druid's work. He moves back to Felidae and takes a look at what she shows him. "Put on the ring, hand me the periapt and pack the armor. Unless you can put it on real quick, that is." he says, a bit more brusquely than usual. He turns once again, looking at the army charging away from their position and racking his brain for a new plan. I'm supposed to be the smart one. What's the smart thing to do now? Other than run in the opposite direction, that is.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

29. - Top - End - #389
    Banned

The gnolls are still spread out over hundreds of feet, clustered in groups. A main force to attack the walls, and flanking units to defend the sides. The small group you noticed at the start has long been lost the the darkness. They are running now, moving towards the walls - you wont be able to reach them before the real fighting starts.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanat looks at the various groups. Is there a bigger lump of gnolls, a possible top chieftain to target perhaps? he asks himself.
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+5)[9] because why not.

Edit: Oh, bollocks.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-05-24 at 03:03 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika