New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer IC

"Well, as a matter of fact the Boundless Thicket is our intended destination. We figured we'd go to... uhm... Glumhaven first to prepare ourselves for the journey. Is it... is it as bad as you make it?" asks Thanat. He bears the man's scrutiny without impatience and without making any sudden gestures.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #482
    Banned

You seem a decent sort - so I'ma tell you somthing maybe I oughtn't.

Glumhaven ain't the worst place, nor is it the best. It's a proper backwater, by which I mean if you're not local, expect to pay gold for a chicken. But there was a group of men there - clearly not locals - and they was looking an older feller out of Madripore, name of Thanat. And now here I am, in the middle of god knows where, and I run into an older feller, clearly out of Madripore by his accent.

These men, they didn't seem to me to be lawful types. I wont say they were outright assasins, that'd give a bad name to that venerable old profession - I'd say they were hired scum.

I din't pay them much heed, but ... well this Thanat guy, he ought'a know there folk looking for 'im.

There is a long silence. The sun beats down. The old sailer minds his boat.

Finally, Felidae asks:

...... Alastor - why is this guy telling you about some guy called Thanat?

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanat eyes narrow as he hears the man's warning. This might just well be the first step towards getting back home: a marshall might have been sent by the city council, but the kind of men described by the sailor must be from a third party, he reasons. He holds a finger towards Felidae, gesturing that he will answer her at a later time, then speaks to the sailor: "I thank you for your warning, it was very kind of you. However, I want to share a few words with those people you mentioned, despite my reluctance with meddling with such individuals: I suspect we both know something the other is interested in hearing. If you would be so kind, I would ask you to take us to Glumhaven, or at least ferry us to the other side of the river."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Do I have the chance to craft a hat of disguise during the trip? It should take a couple of days.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #484
    Banned

Heh - no, young sir, going back to Glumhaven would put me just under a week off my schedule. This ain't no pleasure trip up the river, I have deliveries to make at Æhrengaard. But I can take you across the river, no sweat in that.

Speaking of which - far be it from me to nose around anothers business, but why'd ye wanna go into the Thicket? Mortal men don't much tend to return from there, ye know?

Did ye at least bring hatchets or machetes or some such?

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

"Then we'll take you on your offer and be thankful for it. And for your concern. As a matter of fact, we don't really know a lot about the Thicket, other than it is rumored to have faeries in it. I was hoping to find guidance, if not a proper guide, in Glumhaven. Which, as I am beginning to understand, is going to be more easily said than done."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #486
    Banned

You wouldn't find any help in Glumhaven. Mortals don't enter the Boundless Thicket. All anyone knows is that those who do, stay inside. The people of Glumhaven fear the Thicket, they are thankful it's across the river.

All that said, he pulls the boat longside the bank of the river, and motions you to come aboard.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

As they traverse the river, Thanat keep up polite conversation if the host is so inclined, but his mind goes back to those shady individuals that are supposedly looking for him in Glumhaven. Would it be wise to seek those men, spying on them or outright confronting them, thus maybe giving those who pursue him a clue of his whereabouts and intentions? Or would it be better to avoid them, until the time is right? Somehow, and to his own surprise, he does lean towards the former approach.

As they approach the other bank of the river, Thanat thanks the old sailor and takes a few coins from his purse: "Thank you again for your services and your kindness. I can compensate you for both, as you deserve. I was also wondering if and when you would be making the round trip to Æhrengaard again, and how long does it takes. Your words made me consider visiting there".

Show
    Crazy weekend.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #488
    Banned

It takes a couple of weeks upriver, just over one down - and I stay in Æhrengaard for as long as it takes to sell my goods, and buy something interesting to sell in Madripore. It's usually two months or more.

Æhrengaard is strange - but at least it's human. If ye wind up going there, beware the white cloaks. They are honorable, but they are also to all intents above the law. Anger them, and it's entirely within their right to cut you down where you stand.

Good luck in the Thicket, sir - fair winds, happy trails, all the usual. Mayhap we'll meet again.

The boat brushes against the opposite bank, and Thanat and Felidae jumps ashore. For a mile or so ahead of them, vegetation thickens, grows denser and taller, until it becomes a wall of green.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

"Farwell" says Thanat fondly to the old man "I hope we do"

As the ships sails away, Thanat turns toward the Thicket. He knows he has two tricky situations in front of him: getting something useful out of this enchanted forest and explaining to filed his true story.
    "So, you were asking about Thant..." he begins. "We have some time to fill, I can tell you what you want to know. But are you sure you want to hear it?"

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #490
    Banned

Absolutely. We're like comrades in arms, right? If a bunch of hired thugs are looking for a guy named Thanat - I need to know who that is. I mean ... it is you, right? That's why you're sort of a wizard, but basic wizard stuff like green fire is beyond you?

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

"Indeed, it... wait, what? What does the green fire has to do with it? What is with you and green fire?" asks Thanat, surprised at the non sequitur.
    "Anyway, yes, I used to be called Thanat. It is more than that, though. For me it was almost another life, a different man altogether. The man Thanat was a quiet magistrate, living his life in peace with his family. Then, one day, someone killed them and framed him for their murder. And so he ran, promising himself that he would find whoever's responsible and make them pay. In this wow he was reborn in what I am now. 'Why did he not stand trial?', you might ask. Well, as I said he was a magistrate, and he could see the case against him would have been so well crafted that no same man would have believed he. What's more, thinking back, it would not have been the first time either: some poor soul proclaiming innocence in the face of incontrovertible proof. I had always dismissed them as either liars or crazy, but now it occurs to me that they might have been set up as well. Who knows.
    So, there must be two parties looking for Thanat: Madripor's government officials, complying with the Law, and some other sort of shady individuals, trying to tie a loose end. It is the latter I am looking forward to 'question'. I just need to be sure I can handle them."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #492
    Banned

Felidae is quiet for a moment - then, to Thanats complete surprise, she smiles and pumps the air with her fist.

Yes! A tragic past - it's perfect. Can't have a proper hero without a tragic, sordid past.

Oh, and um ... sorry to hear about your wife and all. Pretty fresh wound that, right?

The green fire thing is just ... well you know the legends of Uriel Rathborne? He would always call down green fire from the skies, or rend the earth asunder to swallow up his foes, right?

Spoiler: Legends
    Show

You do know or Uriel. He's the equivalent of a Penny Dreadful hero. Colorful, but not particularly believable.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

"I suppose" answers Thanat Alastor, dubiously "Though we should try and be more... discreet? Hide in the shadows and strike fear in the hearts of our enemies. How does that sound?" he proposes, as they travel toward the Thicket.

Show
    Oh, a couple of things:
    1. How do I get access to the Silence spell?How about Glibness, is it feasible?
    2. What are the interactions between Invisibility and Host abilities? do the latter break the former?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #494
    Banned

What do you mean, more discreet? I'm discretion itself.

Show

Hm, didn't I give you a spell book and say you could fill it with what you need? If you already filled it with stuff that isn't silence - well, eventually opportunity will present itself.

Glibness tho? A spell only bards get - and at level 7, in an E6 world - a spell that gives you a plus 30 bonus, making rolls irrelevant, because again, this is E6.

Um no.

I need a slight bit of time to write up your entry into the Thicket.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

"Of course you are. When it matters, at lest. I meant more discrete than Uriel Rathborne..."

Show
    Glibness, I figured it was a no-go. Silence, however, is a cleric/bard spell. I wanted to know if I can manage to get it on my list somehow.

No problem, take your time.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #496
    Banned

Spoiler: Silence!
    Show

After much consideration: No - it's not getting on your spell list.

Getting some sort of item that silences is an option, though. If you can find a way.

As you approach the Boundless Thicket, it becomes more and more imposing. The vegetation grows denser by the step, until finally you need to start hacking your way through bushes and vines. Eventually, sweaty and starting to tire, you arrive at a towering wall of green. Everything here is vibrant with life - birds sing as they dart in and out of the treetops, insects buzz all around you, critters scurry around the undergrowth, trees creak and leaves rustle in the wind.

The boundary of the thicket is surprisingly clear: Behind you, ordinary bushes, grass, weeds - in front, dense, thorny, twisted growths. It seems like a single, hostile organism that stretches off in both directions. Red, vibrant flowers reflect the sunlight - somehow lustily. As you peer closer, you see small animals somehow got caught in the thick spines and died there, dozens of small skeletons easily visible from where you stand.

The sun beats down. A nice breeze blows, carrying the scents of loam and forest and flower.

What do you do? =)

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

"That is not ominous at all..." comments Alastor, trying to lighten the mood despite not liking what he sees at all "Where's a druid when you need one?"
    He looks at Felidae: "We could try and find a way in, or we could try and open a passage by force. Considering that neither of us is particularly well endowed in that department, I say we try and circle it for a bit. Going westward, jtowards Gloomhaven." He takes out one of the hackers and slashes at the thorns, as to see how difficult it would be to proceed like that.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-07-05 at 12:58 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

18. - Top - End - #498
    Banned

Show

I destinctly remember typing out how the old boat guy gave you a couple of over-the-hill hatchets he had on the boat - for when it got stuck in reeds and stuff. Because, clever as I am, I knew even back then that you'd encounter stubborn vegetation before too long.

However, I propable decided to rewrite that passage - then never included the bit with the hatchets. So all he wound up doing was ask if you had any.

You have hatchets. They work better than the sword, but it quickly becomes clear the bushes resist your intrusion. You can hack your way through, but it will be at the cost of countless scratches.

You also try tracking it westward. You quickly realise this is pointless - it stretches on to the horizon. If you send Blackwing, he can confirm that it .... just doesn't seem to stop.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Alastor quickly realizes that his plan to reach the faeries has a really big flaw in the shape of thorny walls. He sends Blacking for a quick trip eastward, to confirm what he already knows: the wall does not end in hat direction either. When he returns, he asks him to go above, trying to spy the depth of the defensive perimeter. "Try and see if it ends, but be careful, and do not venture beyond where you an see the way back".
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-07-05 at 03:47 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

20. - Top - End - #500
    Banned

Blackwing returns in seconds to inform you that it's only the first few steps into the forest - then the wall of thorns ends.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, that's good news, in a way." comments Alastor upon hearing Blackwing's report. "We'll just have to work hard to open a... wait, what am I saying... give me a few minutes to prepare and I will try and burn away some of it. Then we can go in and chop away the charred remains of this cursed thing..."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

22. - Top - End - #502
    Banned

... but they're just like, weeds, right? Can we just hack them to bits?

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sure, You start. If you make good progress, I'll take over in a bit and we'll continue in turns. If not, I'll be ready with my magic."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

24. - Top - End - #504
    Banned

... are you trying to be clever? Letting me do all the hard work? Hm.

Felidae sets to work. It very quickly becomes clear that - while she makes good progress - the wall of thorns isn't just taking it without a fight. The bushes are somewhat animate, and lash out at Felidae as she lashes out at them. She quickly makes a meter into the wilderness - but not without sustaining dozens of cuts.

Show

In other words: Damage pr. square cleared is 1d3-1, hence (2d3-2)[1]

Lucky girl =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-07-06 at 01:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    How much further?
    Can I assume I prepared one Burning hands spell in the meantime?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

26. - Top - End - #506
    Banned

Show

She's about halfway. And yes.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good job." says Alastor "Let's see if I can do as well". With the axe in one hand, he mutters a few words of arcane power, sending forth from his other hand a wave of fire towards the plants that still need chopping. He then proceeds to hack away at what is left.
    Show
    Burning hands damage - (3d4)[6]

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #508
    Banned

Magical flame pours from Thanats outstretched hands. Reluctantly, fizzing and popping, the wall of thorns withdraws - there is fairly little actual damage, the branches literally move to avoid the flames. Thanat hacks his way through the remainder, and a path is clear to the other side.

Beyond the thorny barrier, the forest is dark and foreboding. The forest floor is soft and mushy, covered in creepers and moss and fallen, decomposing leaves. Above, the canopy is a dark but vibrant green, completely hiding the sky and the sun. Everywhere around, there is life, though usually just out of sight - movement glimpsed in bushes, among the trees, out of the corner of the eye.

Show

The path is open. I will railroad ever so slightly - it just makes sense - but let me know if there is anything you want to do before leaving your entry behind =)

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

"This is not creepy at all" comments Alastor with dry humor as he clears the passage. "I can't think of anything we are leaving behind that we might need in here, except perhaps sunlight..." says half smiling. "Now, let's see where to go from here: straight in the heart of the forest perhaps?" he asks idly. He keeps blackwing with them: better to have an extra pair of eyes in such a place.
    Show
    Railroading is ok. What does Alastor know about faeries, anyway?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

30. - Top - End - #510
    Banned

Spoiler: Fae
    Show

Are we calling him Alastor now? Ok.

Alastor knows very little about the elves and the dwarves. He knows even less about the fae.

Mortal morality is inapplicable to them. They are equally capable of great kindness and great wickedness. They are powerful - some less so, some almost godlike. Their ambitions and motives are incomprehensible, but they fight over them fiercely. It is said that there is a dark and a light court of fae, but this has nothing to do with morality.

Then there are rumours. That they love music, and dance, and beauty. That they cannot breed among themselves, but steal human babies - and leave something else behind.

Alastor frankly doesn't know much of them. But he does know that magic is innate and natural to them.

Next: Railroading!

Alastor and Felidae venture into the Boundless Thicket. It can be described as either varied or unvaried. For every step, there's something new - an herb or weed or bush, or insect, bird or small rodent you've never seen before. But on the other hand, nothing stands out. Everywhere you look, as far as you can see before everything is lost in dense foliage, there is nature. It pulses with live, vibrant with color despite the murky half-darkness.

You soon realise you're a bit lost, but it's hours later that you realise the enormity of how lost you are. Eventually, you try to backtrack - but find absolutely no evidence that you (or anyone) ever set foot in this place before.

Nothing changes. The light remains the same. You grow hungry, eat, grow hungry once more. Eventually, despite the constant half-light/half-darkness, you grow tired. You sleep.

The next day, Felidae suggests you climb a tree to try and get some sort of bearing - any idea of where anything what so ever is, really.

So you climb. It's easy going, the trees are very accomodating. It really doesn't look like that far to the canopy, but .... the climb drags on. Hours pass. Your muscles sting like crazy, when you call a break, and eat among the branches and leaves. You rest a longinsh while, the start again. Climb, and climb. Then climb some more.

Finally, as you are once more growing hungry, you finally - unexpectedly, even - reach the upper limits of the forest canopy, and pop your heads up into free, unobstructed view.

The green goes on seemingly forever, in every direction. There is no sun, no moon - unfamiliar stars fill a sky perpetually close to either sunrise or just after sunset.

It is abundantly clear to you that this is no natural place. You are in the fade, also called the umbra, the outlands, the dreamlands.

Show

Just a quick break in case you want to interject - or do anything. Otherwise ... things will commence.